Page 5 of 215 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    That's a bad or inexperienced headline writer not getting proofread correctly.
    He has a guaranteed deal for next year. Maybe there are legal reasons they have to make it sound nebulous publicly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there is roughly 6 DP's...or at least more than 3... That TFC is looking at. Rumours about Defoe, Quagliarella and Gilardino.

Who are the others?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cassano, Adebayor & Forlan
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    So there is roughly 6 DP's...or at least more than 3... That TFC is looking at. Rumours about Defoe, Quagliarella and Gilardino.

Who are the others?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    DeRo is not a striker anymore. He's an AM.

And we can do better.
    Dero never really was a striker we just played him there because we didn't have any better.

Who better to mentor Osoria & Becker for 2 to 3 seasons.

We can do better? We never have. On the field there have been very few DP's in league history that can rival Dero's production if any.

if he's available and willin it's a no brainer. You can still go crazy & over speand on the European DPs everyone has a hard on for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyToronto View Post
    Dero never really was a striker we just played him there because we didn't have any better.

We can do better? We never have. On the field there have been very few DP's in league history that can rival Dero's production if any.

if he's available and willin it's a no brainer. You can still go crazy & over speand on the European DPs everyone has a hard on for.
    I'd much not to have him mentor any youngsters with sense of entitlement and narcissism.

From all the road trips I've taken and witnessed. DeRo and JDG always late to team buses, meetings. When everyone else is using standard issue Adidas team gears/duffel bags/equipment bags etc, these two divas will always lounging in with their LV bags, clutches/purses, and acting like stoned rappers.

I'd rather have a cohesive locker room where they can put aside the salary gap and work together as a real team. Skills can be learned, characters cannot be groomed yet easily corrupted.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's at all a no brainer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilardino plays down interest from TFC...

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/16...o-link?cc=5901

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League has changed, year by year we are seeing a better influx of higher calibre players. Dero's done, plain and simple, was a good player in his day, but he's got older and there are better players out there. It's been well documented by other posters, he isn't going to take a huge pay cut to come here and sit on the bench and mentor young players, his ego is too big for that. Even if he were to agree to pay cut, I still wouldn't want him back, just don't see what he brings anymore. We need to be looking forward and not backwards. I don't think Nelsen would even entertain the thought anway. Nothing against Dero, but time catches up with everyone. I don't even want us signing so called Euro stars in his age range.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-c...d-bolster-mls/

Nelsen interview on Defoe and Gilardino
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I don't think this should surprise anyone. What is he going to say? Yes, I want to leave. The fans would eat him alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we are bringing in Gilla and Quaglia? And what about a trequartista???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    Cassano, Adebayor & Forlan
    Now that would work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    I'd much not to have him mentor any youngsters with sense of entitlement and narcissism.

From all the road trips I've taken and witnessed. DeRo and JDG always late to team buses, meetings. When everyone else is using standard issue Adidas team gears/duffel bags/equipment bags etc, these two divas will always lounging in with their LV bags, clutches/purses, and acting like stoned rappers.

I'd rather have a cohesive locker room where they can put aside the salary gap and work together as a real team. Skills can be learned, characters cannot be groomed yet easily corrupted.
    Blah, Blah, Blah. I'm not looking for someone to hold Osorio and Beckkers hand while they walk to school, I want someone who does his talking on the field like he did THIS YEAR in the US Open cup. I could care less what duffel bags he uses, and if you think that's what make or breaks a locker room, what do you think is going to happen when they bring in a guy that's making 15 or 16 mill a year?

If we get Quags, Gila, Defore, Adebayor or whoever they will still need supply. I'm not saying going after Dero is a priority but if he's available & wants to come, I'm not going to believe he's done just because people says so when history tells a very different story.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe isn't cracking the England squad. ESPECIALLY since he barely plays. Might as well make the big bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Defoe isn't cracking the England squad. ESPECIALLY since he barely plays. Might as well make the big bucks.
    Exactly! And he's 31. This will be his last contract. What's the alternative? Fulham? And at far less money? What's the point of that. Won't win anything. Arsenal, United, City, those teams won't be knocking on his door offering a starting spot. He'd be well advised to take the money and put in 3 years over here - and be a STAR in the city, but still anonymous enough that he can venture outside without fans jumping him left, right and center.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blah, Blah, Blah. I'm not looking for someone to hold Osorio and Beckkers hand while they walk to school, I want someone who does his talking on the field like he did THIS YEAR in the US Open cup. I could care less what duffel bags he uses, and if you think that's what make or breaks a locker room, what do you think is going to happen when they bring in a guy that's making 15 or 16 mill a year?

If we get Quags, Gila, Defore, Adebayor or whoever they will still need supply. I'm not saying going after Dero is a priority but if he's available & wants to come, I'm not going to believe he's done just because people says so when history tells a very different story.
    I reject your theory. Sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Exactly! And he's 31. This will be his last contract. What's the alternative? Fulham? And at far less money? What's the point of that. Won't win anything. Arsenal, United, City, those teams won't be knocking on his door offering a starting spot. He'd be well advised to take the money and put in 3 years over here - and be a STAR in the city, but still anonymous enough that he can venture outside without fans jumping him left, right and center.
    I think his agent is pushing him to do it as well, it's a big pay day for an aging player. 8m a year until he's 34... What more can you ask for?
    Stop BSing yourself, Defoe. You better show up in January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't understand how anyone can question the DeRo issue. He's not coming he doesn't belong here. If rather have Mista back then this locker room cancer. Keep him the hell away from this club. He's broken down old and lost a step.

Wonder why DeRo did so "well" in the open cup? Probably because he was playing against MLS sides B teams.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Wonder why DeRo did so "well" in the open cup? Probably because he was playing against MLS sides B teams.
    I checked the match reports. None of MLS teams DC faced during 2013 USOC were playing their 'B' team
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no issue with Dero on the field at all, he is a workhorse and is a proven winner/clutch player when needs to be.

What I do have an issue with is the off field drama and the commotion he tends to cause, he needs to grow up in that regard and I don't see Nelson wanting a player like him on the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just want to throw this in here, anyone who wants Adebayor on our team is mental. Guy has no drive at all, only good seasons he has ever had are in contract years, and isn't good for a locker room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    just want to throw this in here, anyone who wants Adebayor on our team is mental. Guy has no drive at all, only good seasons he has ever had are in contract years, and isn't good for a locker room.
    this, completely agree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    I find the number of top level names allegedly being considered truly disheartening. There are so many options out there that are as good, cheaper, younger in some cases and definitely available at this sort of coin. This is about the promo end, the big name. Rarely does that perfectly intersect with who a team actually needs to be more competitive. ANyone remember Becks' disastrous first year in LA? It was a f'ing shambles until Arena came in and rebuilt the core of the team around top-producing bargains like Juninho (a loan for three years made permanent), Sarvas and youngsters like De La Garza and Gonzalez (another TFC draft reject, let's all cringe together now.)

I think Defoe would be great; but the idea that we should be wedded to him or Quagliarela or Gillardino or anyone by now is just stupid.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I find the number of top level names allegedly being considered truly disheartening. There are so many options out there that are as good, cheaper, younger in some cases and definitely available at this sort of coin. This is about the promo end, the big name. Rarely does that perfectly intersect with who a team actually needs to be more competitive. ANyone remember Becks' disastrous first year in LA? It was a f'ing shambles until Arena came in and rebuilt the core of the team around top-producing bargains like Juninho (a loan for three years made permanent), Sarvas and youngsters like De La Garza and Gonzalez (another TFC draft reject, let's all cringe together now.)

I think Defoe would be great; but the idea that we should be wedded to him or Quagliarela or Gillardino or anyone by now is just stupid.
    with guys like Defoe, Gilardino, is that you get 'known' quality, at least the perception is. versus getting an 'unknown' from South America

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    with guys like Defoe, Gilardino, is that you get 'known' quality, at least the perception is. versus getting an 'unknown' from South America
    It doesn't have to be an unknown; that's certainly a good place to look to build up the technique in this squad, but I'm talking about players from SA or other parts of the world who have already made it to Europe and have proven themselves. If we're paying $10 mil plus transfer fees, as the Gilardino story, we can compete for guys who are young and productive but won't ever get back to the world's big clubs, guys like Crouch or Ricky Lambert, or if we're ambitious someone like Huntelaar (I know he just signed an extension, but it's an example of the type.) There are a lot of "class B" players who are word class and make their national teams, but don't cost as much as a top former EPL striker.

Robbie Keane was a great example, although the timing was great there on his contract, admittedly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Defoe is already on the England squad. He is a regular on the bench...but he's on the squad. He'd have to have one hell of a run of form to crack the starting 11.

His only danger is losing his place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should have grabbed up Kevin Prince Boateng.... hahaha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don't think it's at all a no brainer.
    exactly ..I'd rather have a lower paid Koev's than Dero.....and I loved Dero BUT now's the time to say bye !
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It doesn't have to be an unknown; that's certainly a good place to look to build up the technique in this squad, but I'm talking about players from SA or other parts of the world who have already made it to Europe and have proven themselves. If we're paying $10 mil plus transfer fees, as the Gilardino story, we can compete for guys who are young and productive but won't ever get back to the world's big clubs, guys like Crouch or Ricky Lambert, or if we're ambitious someone like Huntelaar (I know he just signed an extension, but it's an example of the type.) There are a lot of "class B" players who are word class and make their national teams, but don't cost as much as a top former EPL striker.

Robbie Keane was a great example, although the timing was great there on his contract, admittedly.
    I actually agree with you, I always thought that the target should be a sort of 4 star player who in Europe would be a star on a smaller team or a back up on a big team, attract him here by giving him 5 star salary. A slightly younger De Vaio in his day, or Yakubu in his day, Borriello a couple of years ago, Huntelaar . I would not get Crouch personally just because I am not sold on him.