Page 4 of 215 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Defoe seems more likely to come in January, based on that Mirror article. He's getting a significant raise, and he's not really part of the picture at Tottenham or for the World Cup.

It's the opposite for Gilardino. No way he comes before the World Cup. But I'd be ecstatic if we did manage to somehow get them both. A bit of an upgrade from Braun and Earnshaw.
    While Defoe hasn't featured in an England match in a few months...he is still being picked regularly and sitting on the bench.

edit: They are both regular subs.
    Last edited by Haddy; 10-31-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not that i want to go this way....but DC just declined the option on Dero....might he be worth 120k/year if we could get him in? Surely he's better than Braun and Weeds....

thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would only take him if the price is right ($100,000 or less ie Braun style wage ($114,00)) but even more importantly his role is clearly defined ie- not starting consistently, depth off the bench, CCL games, ect. He isn't in for the future so adding experience and MLS depth could be a good move.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo is not a striker anymore. He's an AM.

And we can do better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    "...but that Nelson and the rest wouldn't let him bring in another midfielder."

This concerns me more than anything else. TFC needs someone to give service to the DP striker. We have Laba, but there should be another link in the chain from him to the strikers. I'm desperately afraid that we will have two DP strikers with a midfield that can't get the ball to them. The club's need for a playmaker cannot be emphasized enough.

I don't think this should be an issue - I think in the context of that conversation they don't want the DPs in the midfield. They keep talking about getting 2-3 MLS-hardened / experienced players in on top of the DPs, I'm hopeful that's where the service is going to come from. (and no Dero - please)

Edit - to clarify my point, I hope they have MLS guys already in mind for the midfield, and by "another" midfielder he means on top of that
    Last edited by Ben - D.O.W.; 10-31-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    not that i want to go this way....but DC just declined the option on Dero....might he be worth 120k/year if we could get him in? Surely he's better than Braun and Weeds....

thoughts?
    But no better than Brockie would be if we chose to bring him back. Guarantee better players than him will be in the re-entry draft this fall and as he is an AM now, we should aim for something a little more long term than DeRo. For me, he'd be off the bench for MF depth/CCL matches and behind a vast amount of forwards if the potential DPs come in and also behind Dike (and Brockie and/or Earnshaw if they return) off the bench. You really think an ego like his can accept that he is the new Wiedeman?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take Dero. Maybe in a trade mid-season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ve-after-stron

Don't much about this kid specifically, but in general, this is the type of players TFC should be scouting and recruiting.

Born in US (i.e. Domestic Status) but trained in Argentina. Young (20), and performing well on loan in Honduras.

Story sounds sort of similar to Osorio, and he has worked out pretty well for us!

Now this specific kid may not fit, especially if we do end up with two DP Fwds, but I'd like to see TFC do a better job at finding kids in this sort of situation.

Hopefully Bez can help with that, with his league contacts from his former role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But no better than Brockie would be if we chose to bring him back. Guarantee better players than him will be in the re-entry draft this fall and as he is an AM now, we should aim for something a little more long term than DeRo. For me, he'd be off the bench for MF depth/CCL matches and behind a vast amount of forwards if the potential DPs come in and also behind Dike (and Brockie and/or Earnshaw if they return) off the bench. You really think an ego like his can accept that he is the new Wiedeman?

Don't know...and for a creator i'd rather have Lindpere..but who knows. Hometown kid comes back for his last year of Pro-soccer? Maybe he has a cracking season like 2011. Who knows really?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    Don't know...and for a creator i'd rather have Lindpere.
    Well, I expect to see him in that re-entry draft so we'll probably get our chance.

Edit: and if so, I would consider giving him a shot and replacing Convey with him at a better rate. $30K saved right there and Lindpere was great in NY.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 10-31-2013 at 02:10 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Well, I expect to see him in that re-entry draft so we'll probably get our chance.
    he'll be available for re entry draft pending on whether Chicago offered him a qualifying contract and if he doesn't opt himself out of the reentry draft
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grant Wahl reporting on twitter "Italian sources tell me TFC and Genoa are close to agreeing on a 5 million transfer that would send Gilardino to Toronto in August. Its believed the player would earn 5 million a season."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zamperina View Post
    Grant Wahl reporting on twitter "Italian sources tell me TFC and Genoa are close to agreeing on a 5 million transfer that would send Gilardino to Toronto in August. Its believed the player would earn 5 million a season."
    Good news. Now to get a DP for January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news indeed. So let's figure out 2014. We need DP's ready to go in January or we may face another disaster of a season. Need goalscorers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zamperina View Post
    http://soccer.si.com/2013/10/31/cale...no-toronto-fc/

The article
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess that's good, but I don't like the idea of us locking down a mid season acquisition prior to someone who can start the season with us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/...oronto-fc-next

Agent confirming TFC Quagliarella interest

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Transfers@MLSTransfers8m.@GrantWahl reporting Toronto FC are close to agreeing to a $5 million bid with Genoa for forward Alberto Gilardino. He would join in August

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a person in Genoa on Rollerblades we can get to confirm this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This deal is only good is we get a good AM, or he is gonna be useless. He is a good finisher and gets in good areas but needs service to be effective!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Don't much about this kid specifically, but in general, this is the type of players TFC should be scouting and recruiting.
    Strikes me as one of those players who "magically" ends up playing for one of a handful of teams and avoids the larger allocation process. But yes, someone who is interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love the Gilardino transfer even more if it was in January, but beggars can't be choosers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this is looking more like the two names they want, are they big enough to renew/bring in new ita...people?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For all the talk about DP strikers, let's get a DP midfielder for pete's sake. No one's going to score if they don't have service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    For all the talk about DP strikers, let's get a DP midfielder for pete's sake. No one's going to score if they don't have service.

i agree but we do have a significant amount of cap space to spend on either good MLS wingers or AM's or from other leagues - i think we have the dollars beyond the 2 DPs to bring in quality attacking mids, a CB and a LB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm wrong but the article that was titled "Eckersley Aims to Stay in MLS" has been retitled as "Will Eckersley Return?" on TFC website ... Makes you wonder.
    Last edited by jimiv; 10-31-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added where.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but the article that was titled "Eckersley Aims to Stay in MLS" has been retitled as "Will Eckersley Return?" on TFC website ... Makes you wonder.
    lol not for the $310,000 guaranteed money he is making

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to save face I would assume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a bad or inexperienced headline writer not getting proofread correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Is there a person in Genoa on Rollerblades we can get to confirm this?
    This is the only thing funnier than three sendings off for MTL!