Page 3 of 215 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take him back at the right price and role... 150K per year for 2 years with the 2nd year being a mutual option.

Part time starter and in games he doesn't start he can be a 65th min sub to inject some legs/experience into the lineup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    not at all buddy, I actually have a lot of faith in Nelsen. TL isnt a football guy to me, more of a power house to get big name players, TB is there to get value out of every cent possible. The team that played this past season is night and day compares to 2012, though the results werent much different - I enjoyed watching every game, other than 6-0 to Impact and 3-0 to KC.

I strongly believe that with the right 4-5 pieces and some good chemistry, this could be a very competitive team.

NOW, if they get DeRo back, it would make me think that they dont care about the future, and are living in the past.
    DeRo scored 3 goals for DC this year, Steven Caldwell scored 2 for TFC.
    The guy is not what he used to be, and seems to have lost his touch after his knee injury with national team
    This is an interesting post. I was a strong Nelsen supporter for most of the year, but now I am not so sure. I didn't see what you saw.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't understand why anyone would have a problem with the money we would be giving Defoe. It's not like it's our money. DP contract so it only counts as 350k.

What the difference if he was getting $15 million a year? Break the bank to get talent. It should be refreshing that this management group is looking to bring in top talent an willing to do what it takes to turn the ship around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Don't understand why anyone would have a problem with the money we would be giving Defoe. It's not like it's our money. DP contract so it only counts as 350k.

What the difference if he was getting $15 million a year? Break the bank to get talent. It should be refreshing that this management group is looking to bring in top talent an willing to do what it takes to turn the ship around.
    If you are referencing my post (not sure), I'm just trying to think like Leiweke would think. Defoe would be a great football signing. My problem is that he's a very good player, but kind of meh from a marketing POV. Therefore I don't buy it. Just my personal view.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If you are referencing my post (not sure), I'm just trying to think like Leiweke would think. Defoe would be a great football signing. My problem is that he's a very good player, but kind of meh from a marketing POV. Therefore I don't buy it. Just my personal view.
    I believe TL went back a couple steps on that recently. I apologize for not having the link, but I believe it was something like 'not needing a massive brand name' if it still means a 'medium star' providing lots of goals and wins.

I could also be nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's always been we need a big name at any cost. Like Haddy says his position has moved. He knows he can't just parade a top name out there that will bring nothing to the team. He said were smarter then that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LA needed Beckham (all bells and whistles, not a bonafide football star as far as I'm concerned - more the like most overrated player ever. Let's face it - if Beckham looked like Iain Dowie, he wouldn't have had the career he had). Toronto, a more sophisticated soccer market, doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    LA needed Beckham (all bells and whistles, not a bonafide football star as far as I'm concerned - more the like most overrated player ever. Let's face it - if Beckham looked like Iain Dowie, he wouldn't have had the career he had). Toronto, a more sophisticated soccer market, doesn't.
    What's wrong with Big Sexy?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    I believe TL went back a couple steps on that recently. I apologize for not having the link, but I believe it was something like 'not needing a massive brand name' if it still means a 'medium star' providing lots of goals and wins.

I could also be nuts.
    No, you are correct. I can't find the article right now, but Leiweke seems to have playoffs first in his mind.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, TFCs attendance numbers after 7 years of crap on a stick, considering whether is very similar to LAs, and winning championship team. I fear that of LA wasn't winning jack for 3-4 years, they would become Chivas v.2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, TFCs attendance numbers after 7 years of crap on a stick, and added weather, is very similar to LAs, a winning championship team. I fear that if LA wasn't winning jack for 3-4 years, they would become Chivas v.2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe makes little sense. I don't buy it. He's a good soccer player, and not a real name. How many tickets would he sell?

This is a misdirection play by Leiweke/Nelsen. I hope.

(By which I mean, they are trying to do a favour for Defoe's agent, to create some competition to QPR, but are actually after another client of said agent. This is strictly a wild assed guess.)
    I spoke with TL for 20 minutes at a Leaf game last month. He dropped Defoe's name 3 times. He also said he would *LOVE* Lamps, but that Nelson and the rest wouldn't let him bring in another midfielder.

I'm not saying Defoe is coming. But I promise you TL wants him.
    Last edited by 117; 10-30-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When TFC played Roma this summer, the crowd was there to see Totti. When TFC plays New York, a significant number is there to see Henry. Heck, a lot of TFC's initial success was because of Beckham showing up for a press conference the first year (season ticket sales had an immediate surge after the announcement).

The crowds this year were a lot worse than the numbers indicated. For supporters winning is the main thing, and I believe MLSE wants to win. But they also want to sell out the stadium, preferably immediately.
    As such, I think they learned their lesson from the Forlon pursuit, and this time are going to be really quiet until they announce a name with true buzz, that even casual fans will know.

When they are thinking about their target audience, it isn't me, an SSH and supporter, its my father who knows Ekersley and that TFC is the worst team in the world. They are looking to maximise revenue by reaching those on-the fence and new fans. Not sell an extra jersey to supporters who already have their tickets.

Defoe won't do that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    I spoke with TL for 20 minutes at a Leaf game last month. He dropped Defoe's name 3 times. He also said he would *LOVE* Lamps, but that Nelson and the rest wouldn't let him bring in another midfielder.

I'm not saying Defoe is coming. But I promise you TL wants him.
    That is good scoop. I guess we will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unryYSZRKho

"Host of Red Card Anthony Totera talked with Sky Sport's Gianluca DiMarzio about the chances of star striker from Genoa Alberto Gilardino coming over from Italy to join TFC and give them the scoring punch they've sorely missed."

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we get Defoe, having been watching the EPL for years I'd love to see him in the MLS I think with our team he'd be a great addition, might just have to get a name on a jersey barring a terrible first year. Between "Gill" and "Quag" I'd rather "Gill" just seems like a better finisher ntm I think those two would fit our team very good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unryYSZRKho

"Host of Red Card Anthony Totera talked with Sky Sport's Gianluca DiMarzio about the chances of star striker from Genoa Alberto Gilardino coming over from Italy to join TFC and give them the scoring punch they've sorely missed."
    Thanks for that link.

So according to Di Marzio, Gilardino is more likely than Quagliarella. Genoa is keen to hold onto Gilardino until June though, and Gilardino likely wants to stay that long because of the WC. He says TFC should press to close the deal by January and have him arrive in the summer. And ultimately Gilardino has to be swayed to move overseas because he can easily continue playing in Serie A after this year even if it's not with Genoa.

Quagliarella is unlikely. He mentions Quagliarella rejected offers from the Premier League and elsewhere last window in order to stay in Italy. Thinks he'll wait 2 more years before essentially cashing in his career and moving somewhere like MLS.

They also talk about Cassano, Di Natale & Miccoli, all of which he pretty much rejects flat out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Thanks for that link.

So according to Di Marzio, Gilardino is more likely than Quagliarella. Genoa is keen to hold onto Gilardino until June though, and Gilardino likely wants to stay that long because of the WC. He says TFC should press to close the deal by January and have him arrive in the summer. And ultimately Gilardino has to be swayed to move overseas because he can easily continue playing in Serie A after this year even if it's not with Genoa.

Quagliarella is unlikely. He mentions Quagliarella rejected offers from the Premier League and elsewhere last window in order to stay in Italy. Thinks he'll wait 2 more years before essentially cashing in his career and moving somewhere like MLS.

They also talk about Cassano, Di Natale & Miccoli, all of which he pretty much rejects flat out.
    I really hope Totera gets picked up by one of the major networks, he always struck me as one of the most informed/football-minded media personalities in the city resigned to a small youtube program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.football-italia.net/41200...s-genoa-pledge

Toronto FC are understood to be planning a January bid for the Italian international striker, but he doesn’t seem interested.
    “It’s always a good thing that people are talking about me,” the former Parma, Milan and Fiorentina ace stated.
    “However, I’m a Genoa player and I want to remain here, always doing well in the process.”
    As others have said on this thread, Gilardino is an important player for Genoa and they won't let him go without other options.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    http://www.football-italia.net/41200...s-genoa-pledge

As others have said on this thread, Gilardino is an important player for Genoa and they won't let him go without other options.
    Its funny seeing the Defoe stuff heat up with offers, makes me think they are moving forward with the big money targets.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently we are targeting 2 DP strikers, and if we listen to the rumour mill, it is no coincidence that Defoe and a striker from Italian league are being touted eg Gilardino. They are the 2 biggest leagues that football fans in Canada identify with, so in terms of marketing I can see why they are being targeted, because in terms of football ability, it is arguable that perhaps German and Spanish leagues are actaully better at this moment

Other posters are right in that re marketing value these players individually cannot compare with a Becks or Henry. But brought into together, that would generate genuine interest and as a footballing move, it would make much more of an impact that bringing in a one 35-36 world superstar.Both Defoe and Gilardino are early 30's and I think that is really the oldest we should be targetting.

Also the Italian league is in a financial mess right now, now is the time to hit that market. I am not sure where we are going to be targetting an attacking mid, but that would be an area I'd certainly be looking to add some quality to also.

Lay off Iain Dowie lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    This concerns me more than anything else. TFC needs someone to give service to the DP striker. We have Laba, but there should be another link in the chain from him to the strikers. I'm desperately afraid that we will have two DP strikers with a midfield that can't get the ball to them. The club's need for a playmaker cannot be emphasized enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know some will always spank for him but IMO considering age, attitude, and current/future form I'd take Brockie over Dero in a second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The EPL is the most followed league in the world. Defoe might not be the biggest name and probably won't attract the mini-van crowd, but anyone who follows the EPL will at least be curious about seeing Jermain Defoe play close up in a 20,000 seat stadium. He'll sell some tickets.

From a football point of view, he also makes a lot of sense. He drops deep to collect balls, so the service issue isn't as big a problem with him. He's quick and has a keen eye for goal. I'm sure he'd be a Robbie Keane type in terms of production.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://football-italia.net/41208/mls...E2%80%93-agent

MLS sides want Quagliarella – agent

A number of MLS clubs are keen on Fabio Quagliarella, but his agent insists he’ll see out the season at Juventus.“It’s true, Toronto FC have expressed an interest in him, as well as a number of other MLS sides,” Beppe Bozzo, who also represents Toronto target Alberto Gilardino, told Tuttosport.
    “Nevertheless, we’ll see what happens in the summer. For now, Quagliarella is just focused on Juventus and getting back to action as soon as possible.
    “He wants to put the muscle injury behind him.”
    The former Sampdoria, Udinese and Napoli man was ruled out of action for three weeks in the middle of October due to a thigh strain.
    The 30-year-old scored three goals in seven games this term before being sidelined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Apparently Quagliarella's agent, Bozzo (same agent as Gilardino) confirmed TFC's interest in him.

TWEET:
    (RT by @MLSTransfers) @ADP1113 (Tarek Khatib): "TMW: In America there are eyes on Quagliarella... Quaglia's agent Bozzo "Yes, there's an interest and not only from Toronto, we'll see."

So it sounds like he is definitely on that list of "about half a dozen" players we are looking at.

I wonder who else is in the running for Quag, and what chance we have of actually landing him.
    ZBLOMFG. Quagliarella is literally my favourite currently active player. I would love, love, love it to happen, but I think a lot of European teams would also be chasing him if he left Juve at the end of the season. As mentioned, he came very close to moving to England this summer, but decided to stay at Juve to fight for a place. He's done well when he's played, but now that Llorente is starting to find his form he isn't going to find much playing time. I don't follow the EPL particularly closely but I think Defoe would also be a good signing.

Also, Gilardino scored yesterday in Genoa's 1-0 win over Parma, and Italy manager Cesare Prandelli still likes him a lot, presumably based on their time together at Fiorentina. Doesn't seem likely.
    Last edited by forzatoronto; 10-31-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forzatoronto View Post
    ZBLOMFG. Quagliarella is literally my favourite currently active player. I would love, love, love it to happen, but I think a lot of European teams would also be chasing him if he left Juve at the end of the season. As mentioned, he came very close to moving to England this summer, but decided to stay at Juve to fight for a place. He's done well when he's played, but now that Llorente is starting to find his form he isn't going to find much playing time. I don't follow the EPL particularly closely but I think Defoe would also be a good signing.
    From what was being reported here in Englnad, the Quagliarella move to West Ham broke down because West Ham wanted a loan with option to buy but Juve wanted the cash up front on a permanent transfer. Maybe MLSE has the cash to make this happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quagliarella is not a bad choice, he is more of the kind of center forward, we have done well with. But he is injury prone.

Cassano, would be something else. People may not understand how talented of an attacking player he is, if he was not such a fucked up personality he would have been contending for the palon d'orr. But when he is on, he is great, and he can create and finish. The problem is that he is nuts, and he still thinks he has a shot of making the WC team, I doubt it, but it is possible. The last positive is that I think he is physically in better shape then Gillardino and Quagliarela. Borrielo would be another good player for us, but he is not the name the others are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While he isn't David Beckham in terms of marketability, Jermaine Defoe is certainly a household name among knowledgeable football fans in this city, and there are plenty of them (some of whom may not have given TFC/MLS a sniff yet). He also has plenty of productive years ahead of him. I would be thrilled if we can land him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe seems more likely to come in January, based on that Mirror article. He's getting a significant raise, and he's not really part of the picture at Tottenham or for the World Cup.

It's the opposite for Gilardino. No way he comes before the World Cup. But I'd be ecstatic if we did manage to somehow get them both. A bit of an upgrade from Braun and Earnshaw.