Page 2 of 215 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Forget all this stuff - let's land Zlatan in 2016!!!! http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/16...future?cc=5901
    I still don't think he'll come, but if he does, I feel sorry for the club that signs his millions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Dero isn't be offered a contract by DC... do we bring him back as one of the hardened MLS vets nelsen keeps talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero yes please!!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take DeRo at 200k, but I don't know if either him or TFC would go for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Well Dero isn't be offered a contract by DC... do we bring him back as one of the hardened MLS vets nelsen keeps talking about?
    I certainly hope so. It's a shame that he left under those circumstances. It'd be great if he came back and ended his career here. And hopefully with the old guard gone, he'd be more receptive to comin gback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...#ixzz2jFa0j0Sb

TFC has apparently offered Defoe $5M per season to come to Toronto in Jan!

Also interesting, they say AVB is trying to re integrate Adebayor into the first team, which would push Defoe further down the depth chart (as would their pursuit of Pato).
    This would also mean Adebayor would not be an option for TFC as some rumours have suggested.
    (which is a good thing IMO! Don't need a headcase like that)
    Last edited by gdg_9; 10-30-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 million pounds a year for Defoe?! Lieweke wasn't kidding around about opening the wallet! *trying to stay calm/rational* *fails at staying calm/rational*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 million pounds is 8 million USD. That would make Defoe the highest paid player in MLS history. Leiweke's not messing around.

Also, I'd take DeRo back, but only at 200k or less. Which I'm not sure he'll agree to. I think he could still help a bit but the main reason I'd like him back is to mentor Osorio. He's a perfect fit for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post

TFC has apparently offered Defoe $5M per season to come to Toronto in Jan!

Also interesting, they say AVB is trying to re integrate Adebayor into the first team, which would push Defoe further down the depth chart (as would their pursuit of Pato).
    This would also mean Adebayor would not be an option for TFC as some rumours have suggested.
    (which is a good thing IMO! Don't need a headcase like that)
    Any idea how much Defoe makes at Tottenham right now? I would certainly prefer him over Gillardino. Defoe has always been one of my favourites.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill take Defoe and Gilardino upfront anyday. But Defoe would compliment Braun better.

/sarcasm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Any idea how much Defoe makes at Tottenham right now? I would certainly prefer him over Gillardino. Defoe has always been one of my favourites.
    3million pounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TL isn't playing around. Would love Defoe. He would "tear this leauge apart?" Lmao

Defoe and Quag with a soild midfielder that can move the ball would be amazing.

I wouldn't bring DeRo back lets not forget he was a big reason of the poison in the locker room before he left. Not willing to get the younger guys involved in that we got rid of almost all of the poison of the past. No point bringing it back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    TL isn't playing around. Would love Defoe. He would "tear this leauge apart?" Lmao

I wouldn't bring DeRo back lets not forget he was a big reason of the poison in the locker room before he left. Not willing to get the younger guys involved in that we got rid of almost all of the poison of the past. No point bringing it back.
    Exactly. Plus I think his expiry date is now past due and with his attitude he won't come cheap and won't come off the bench. You sign him and bring him off the bench then expect one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h00oBDCODs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post

I dno. I am still of the view that the fault largely lied with management. They were the ones that poisoned the locker room by making false promises and poor communications. Would you stand idly by and not say anything when you get screwed over like he was.

I think he should be given an offer of $200,000, with expectations of him being cover rather than a starter made explicit. I think his experience in the league and what we all know he can do in terms of creativity makes him valuable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe makes little sense. I don't buy it. He's a good soccer player, and not a real name. How many tickets would he sell?

This is a misdirection play by Leiweke/Nelsen. I hope.

(By which I mean, they are trying to do a favour for Defoe's agent, to create some competition to QPR, but are actually after another client of said agent. This is strictly a wild assed guess.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This DeRo back to TFC thing just wont go away...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dno. I am still of the view that the fault largely lied with management. They were the ones that poisoned the locker room by making false promises and poor communications. Would you stand idly by and not say anything when you get screwed over like he was.

I think he should be given an offer of $200,000, with expectations of him being cover rather than a starter made explicit. I think his experience in the league and what we all know he can do in terms of creativity makes him valuable.
    If you make $200k in MLS, you better be a starter. And I don't think DeRo, at age 35, 36 in May, is no longer a starter quality.

DeRo had 3 goals, 2 assists in 24 games (17 starts). In comparison, Justin Braun had 2 goals, 2 assists in 21 games (8 starts), and Braun made around 100k, and some people think Braun is too expensive for depth, and you want to give 200k for DeRo to sit on the subs bench?

And where would TFC play him? AM? Nelsen doesn't play with an AM. Striker? If 2 DPs come in, DeRo doesn't have a place, and depth spots are filled in by Earnshaw and Dike. Winger? DeRo has never been really effective on the wing, and he no longer has the legs.

Maybe 2013 season was an abberation, but I highly doubt old geezer DeRo has much left in his tank. If he wants to come to TFC for like 75k and accept that the team doesn't play with him as the key player (and DeRo is most effective when the team is built with him in mind), sure, he may have a place. If not, let him go somewhere else.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Defoe makes little sense. I don't buy it. He's a good soccer player, and not a real name. How many tickets would he sell?

(By which I mean, they are trying to do a favour for Defoe's agent, to create some competition to QPR, but are actually after another client of said agent. This is strictly a wild assed guess.)
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/an...rater_212.html

With the only other players with the agents being Jermaine Pennent and Gary Breen, I certainly hope not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe is known to anybody who follows European soccer...
    He isnt a model, but I think if a person knows who van Persie is, they should know who Defoe is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/an...rater_212.html

With the only other players with the agents being Jermaine Pennent and Gary Breen, I certainly hope not.
    I could see Pennant being a good MLS player, actually. This is a good league for speedy wingers with some quality. (As long as they don't let him near a car.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Defoe is known to anybody who follows European soccer...
    He isnt a model, but I think if a person knows who van Persie is, they should know who Defoe is.
    I'm talking about $8m fracking dollars. Which means selling tickets. Who Defoe is Defoe? Leiweke has to be thinking about a Gerrard or Lampard, given his background/history.

Frankly, more people have heard of Joe Cole or Emile Heskey, both of whom would be a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-30-2013 at 07:44 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm talking about selling tickets. Who Defoe is Defoe? Leiweke has to be thinking about a Gerrard or Lampard, given his background/history.
    anyone who follows EPL and England team knows about Defoe
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm talking about selling tickets. Who Defoe is Defoe? Leiweke has to be thinking about a Gerrard or Lampard, given his background/history.

Frankly, more people have heard of Joe Cole or Emile Heskey, both of whom would be a lot cheaper.
    the euro snobs in t.o may come to see defoe tho? You are right tho prob not exactly what TL is thinking about ultimately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see Pennant being a good MLS player, actually. This is a good league for speedy wingers with some quality. (As long as they don't let him near a car.)
    Ya, I agree. Though he was a disappointment at Wolves, and I wouldn't take him for me than $250,000 (which he will not say yes to).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This DeRo back to TFC thing just wont go away...
    Now this makes a ton of sense from a ticket selling POV. I think it's a lock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this makes a ton of sense from a ticket selling POV. I think it's a lock.
    if they bring DeRo back on anything more than 60-70k, and he's a keystarter, ill SERIOUSLY question this regime.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they bring DeRo back on anything more than 60-70k, and he's a keystarter, ill SERIOUSLY question this regime.
    Wait. Really? As if you're not doing that already? ;-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait. Really? As if you're not doing that already? ;-)
    not at all buddy, I actually have a lot of faith in Nelsen. TL isnt a football guy to me, more of a power house to get big name players, TB is there to get value out of every cent possible. The team that played this past season is night and day compares to 2012, though the results werent much different - I enjoyed watching every game, other than 6-0 to Impact and 3-0 to KC.

I strongly believe that with the right 4-5 pieces and some good chemistry, this could be a very competitive team.

NOW, if they get DeRo back, it would make me think that they dont care about the future, and are living in the past.
    DeRo scored 3 goals for DC this year, Steven Caldwell scored 2 for TFC.
    The guy is not what he used to be, and seems to have lost his touch after his knee injury with national team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOW, if they get DeRo back, it would make me think that they dont care about the future, and are living in the past.
    DeRo scored 3 goals for DC this year, Steven Caldwell scored 2 for TFC.
    The guy is not what he used to be, and seems to have lost his touch after his knee injury with national team
    I am leaning towards agreeing with you, but he is just a year away (2012) from 7 goals and 12 assists. This year his stats suffered from an absolutely terrible team. Would have happened to most.

No, he's not the DeRo of 5 years ago, but I wouldn't count him out yet.

Bekker and Osorio would benefit a ton from everyday training with him. Then again, there are others that can fill that role.

No matter where he ends up, he'll definitely have to take a big cut.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thanks. DeRo doesn't sell tickets here anymore. It would look like desperation and the media would be all over them for going back.

And, having watched him a bit in games outside of ones we played against them, he looks past it.

I think he'll end up either in Vancouver or in NASL.