Page 182 of 215 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,460 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Laba goes I'll be gutted. Yes, I know we've signed other players and yes we'll be better off with Bradley instead of Laba, but I still hate the fact that we're getting rid of last year's best player. A young guy, who liked the club and was part of the "core" we were supposed to hold on to. It's so hard supporting this team when the revolving door doesn't just see bad players come and go, but good ones too.

I'll be even more gutted if he ends up at another MLS club. I say if the league isn't going to fix this for us then fuck them, why should we help foster the competition? I don't care if they subsidized any transfer fee's, we're not in the business of shelling out gratitude. The best thing other than keeping him would be to loan him to Argentinos Juniors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    If Laba goes I'll be gutted. Yes, I know we've signed other players and yes we'll be better off with Bradley instead of Laba, but I still hate the fact that we're getting rid of last year's best player. A young guy, who liked the club and was part of the "core" we were supposed to hold on to. It's so hard supporting this team when the revolving door doesn't just see bad players come and go, but good ones too.

I'll be even more gutted if he ends up at another MLS club. I say if the league isn't going to fix this for us then fuck them, why should we help foster the competition? I don't care if they subsidized any transfer fee's, we're not in the business of shelling out gratitude. The best thing other than keeping him would be to loan him to Argentinos Juniors.
    Abit of an odd post, but I respect the passion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Laba, but this comes down to a managerial decision that had to be made abruptly when Bradley unexpectedly became available. It has nothing to do with Gilberto.

Given the circumstances, and as upset as I am at the thought of losing Laba, I would absolutely endorse the decision to acquire Bradley if it had to be done all over again with similar consequences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blame MLS not TFC for current rules. It's weird rules in MLS what makes the league bush league and makes it hard for people to support MLS. If MLS wants to be one of the top leagues in the world, then they need to take off training wheels and let clubs do their own thing and make their own mistakes. Don't punish owners who willing to invest into their clubs.

This whole Laba situation is going to cost TFC a good young player because MLS and cheap owners not willing to accept new reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This discussion is ridiculous. Has ANYONE seen Gilberto play?

We've seen Earnshaw. He gets hurt and disappears late into the season. I'd rather Dike as an option off the bench.

Also, Laba can go on a loan deal and be back at some point. He's not being taken out and shot.

If Laba stayed the complaining would be about playing time for Osorio or Bekker and TFC hurting the CMNT.... unbelievable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post

We've seen Earnshaw. He gets hurt and disappears late into the season. I'd rather Dike as an option off the bench.

Also, Laba can go on a loan deal and be back at some point. He's not being taken out and shot.

If Laba stayed the complaining would be about playing time for Osorio or Bekker and TFC hurting the CMNT.... unbelievable.
    There's no complaining... People are just talking about who they think is more valuable to the team. All fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are truly starved for controversy this year and clearly don't know how to deal with good news.

The fact is, on opening day we could have 4 guys starting for us who have a realistic shot at playing on the world cup. one of those has a shot at lifting the trophy for gods sake....and that guy wants to be here.

If I had said 12 months ago that this was going to happen, with any one of these players, I would have been locked up. We now have all 4.

Sometimes there is a cost to this sort of thing but let's at least see how the Laba thing pans out before we have a collective conniption.

And even if the cost is permanently losing Laba, we will still be a better team and that's what matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm pretty sure even Ibrahimovic would have looked like shit if he were in red last year. I don't hold it against Earnshaw that he didn't get the ball with the likes of Lambe, Hall, Convey & Russel in the midfield. Osorio will get minutes on this team, especially if DeRo starts blasting shots from 35 years. As for Bekker, he can stay at 300 minutes or less for all I care.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The people of Brazil!

But yeah, we need to wait and see first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK Gilberto in a top league scored at a rate of 1.7 games per goal while also assisting.

This is where Gilberto has options, he can score and he can cross. He will make Defoe more Dangerous, he will make Dike more dangerous, he will make Dero more dangerous, he will make Jackson more dangerous all the while being dangerous him self.

Laba won't do that.

More then that is Gilberto will get space. I'm sure of this for one simple reason.. if say Dallas swarms on the right side of the field pull three guys on him.. then two other players on the pitch aren't covered.

Defoe, Jackson, Bradley, Rey, Dero, or Osorio will now be open or at least have space. Teams can't afford to do that.

Gilberto forces the teams we play against to cover and forces them to give space or make mistakes.

Laba will be missed, but Laba isn't going to make goals.. Gilberto will.

More so he will help keep the ball in our possession meaning less pressure on the back line and fewer chances for mistakes. He will fall back and help defend in the video I've watched.

He will be all over that pitch and likely if he can gel have a major impact.

He might also be a total flop... but the potential means between him and Laba I'll take him every day of the week... the simple reason is.. if he can repeat the performance he had last year 17 goals is what he is looking at.. not to mention several assists. (more then all our forwards combined last season)

If he does a Koev and tears the league up.. that could easily break 20.

Even if he has a poor year, his crossing and ability to go wide, and come back to defend puts him in a whole different class then Earnshaw.

Would I rather have Laba as well.. yes.. but if I have to pick between Laba and Gilberto... Gilberto has the most offensive force.

And if we can simply loan Laba out for a season and bring him back later... that is the best option
    Last edited by Kaz; 02-08-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Laba might get loaned out to the J League?

They have quite a few young South Americans over there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I wonder if Laba might get loaned out to the J League?

They have quite a few young South Americans over there.
    maybe. J league has pretty limited int spot rules, and I don't know if a J league team wants Laba only on loan.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Blame MLS not TFC for current rules. It's weird rules in MLS what makes the league bush league and makes it hard for people to support MLS. If MLS wants to be one of the top leagues in the world, then they need to take off training wheels and let clubs do their own thing and make their own mistakes. Don't punish owners who willing to invest into their clubs.

This whole Laba situation is going to cost TFC a good young player because MLS and cheap owners not willing to accept new reality.
    While I understand they don't want a repeat of the first NASL, I have to agree. Time to either put up or shut up. If the Columbuses and the Dallases of the league can't hack it, time to cut em loose, and let the thoroughbreds run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    No - what I've said is if Gilberto flops it will be viewed as such. Bradley and Defoe are a lock. It was either Gilberto or Laba that we're going to go. Laba is a stud - Gilberto is an unknown. It's a DP for DP move here and will be judged as such.
    Laba is 100% proven so i have to agree.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember when we were hoping to bring Brockie back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well maybe they still have time to find a non DP 'Laba'?.......or would laba consider restructuring his contract?....still time i hope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping a Liga MX team would be willing to take him on loan. Relatively few foreign players in Liga MX there but they do like Argentines. Getting familiar with the teams down there would be useful for CCL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gilberto > Laba for me.
    I love Laba, great dude, great player - dont want to see him go.
    But we need goals, ALOT of goals. Who's going to score them other than Defoe?
    ? Bradley,Dike , Osorio , Dero...the question is who will be distributing the ball to them...or controlling the midfield.....if we have set-ups, anyone can score
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba played last year, where were the goals?

Dike isn't all that.. He scored 1 in how many games? Osorio isn't clinical (yet), and Bradley isn't a goal scorer. Don't want to start the Dero discussion again lol

im just playing devils advocate here. I truly wish Laba stays, but I can't see it happening... Teams take players on loan to make an immediate impact and big difference. Laba is too much for MLS clubs, and too little for European clubs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    and you can move Laba, but not Gilberto. unless TFC lets Gilberto go back to Brazil for cheap (and big loss in transfer fee paid). and TFC looks ridiculous, esp in Brazilian press. I don't think TFC wants negative press in Brazil, which TFC hopes to mine for future player signings.

I don't see anyway of selling Gilberto without looking incompetent, and that's the last image TFC needs to portray now.
    we're giving their #1 goaltender a free ride to warm him up for their at home quest......don't think we will ever get bad press in Brazil. Cesar>Gilberto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with laba out does cesar get more work load than he bargained for?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    MLS is observing a break during WC group stage. so Bradley misses what, 2-4 games.

And money is not the best way to measure a worth of a DP. too many factors involved
    Also, athletes are like sports cars, high end stereo equipment or gems, you pay a lot more for a small increase in quality.

Is a Ferrari 6x faster than a Corvette? No, but the increase is exponential.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not an odd post at all..agree...esp if one has read Labas tweets and/ or met him...he liked it here. And in closely watching him last year EVERY game he grew in stature.....wonderful player . thats all...huge heart and understanding of the game , we made a mistake ....but no way out I guess .....It does piss me off that in a league with billionaires ,New England , Colorado esp,...maybe Garber?, these teams want to play walmart (think about it)..(Colorado) soccer on the cheap/parity and hold back what could be an explosive win situation for North American soccer .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Remember when we were hoping to bring Brockie back?
    I still am! He'd be a perfect De Rosario replacement as a depth forward once his Wellington contract runs out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Laba played last year, where were the goals?

Dike isn't all that.. He scored 1 in how many games? Osorio isn't clinical (yet), and Bradley isn't a goal scorer. Don't want to start the Dero discussion again lol

im just playing devils advocate here. I truly wish Laba stays, but I can't see it happening... Teams take players on loan to make an immediate impact and big difference. Laba is too much for MLS clubs, and too little for European clubs.
    respectfully,....seriously comparing last year to this years line-up?..Last years team was a joke to all visiting teams.Who struck fear into their hearts ? we couldn't even spell counter-attack......Everyone will be scared of Defoe, Bradley etc, ...leaving so much room fro the 'others' esp with zero pressure to be leaders to fill in the slots.......Laba did score....remember every game he grew and one could see him gaining confidence every game even if a DM....He's no JDG....he can bring it all. But it's done . It looks like Dike (surprising to me) may have found his zone . Remember no pressure on the core guys to be superstars now and I think many will blossom .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still am! He'd be a perfect De Rosario replacement as a depth forward once his Wellington contract runs out.
    Martin not so sure about Brockie...was hoping he would excel on the wing but I think he's far too 'clumsy'.....with not much talent to fall back on. He had his chance and didn't take it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if Matias Laba is aware that most of us are just as disappointed as he is. I'm hopeful for some more magic by Tim & Tim, and have Laba back for 2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now we need to replace Laba for some CM depth, as right now its Bradley, Osorio, Hall and Bekker. Aparcio as well? How about Danny Orouke? He plays CB and CM and could be just the depth that we need. I dont think hes signed back with Colombus or anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Laba's most recent retweet. The guy wants to stay. I think he knows the fans want him to stay. https://twitter.com/matiaslaba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Martin not so sure about Brockie...was hoping he would excel on the wing but I think he's far too 'clumsy'.....with not much talent to fall back on. He had his chance and didn't take it.
    You think he was so bad? He beat a few people 1v1 but was also deployed a lot as a centre forward. On the wing he looked much more effect. He's a fast, powerful and can put in a half decent cross. I wouldn't break the bank on him, but he seems like he could be a good addition for the low $100's.

Interesting point earlier about the league playing Wal-Mart with the salary cap. I bought the reasoning for that 5 years ago but it seems out of step with the reality of the situation. MLS has a lot of big backers now and the league is nearing 20 years old. I think the NASL comparisons have run their course.