Page 131 of 215 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    holy patience batman. It's only 9 Jan, and first game is Mar. tons of time left.

If TFC is selling Dike, and get good value, then you do the business, as long as you have a plan for replacement. Dike is average MLS striker on a fair wage, but a bit overvalued due to Nigerian national team call ups. He's shown potential to be solid, but he's yet to display that consistently. If another team wants to overpay, then you sell. Dike is not an untouchable player.

So far, Tim B has proven that he's not an idiot when it comes to player signings. If TFC is selling Dike, it's because they have plans for replacement just as good, or better than Dike.
    I see all of your points RE Dike. However, I stand by my argument for quality in depth as well. TFC has been even more thin than usual for many MLS teams over the years which has been part of our problem.

If depth is something lacking in general at other clubs around the league, would it not be in our favour for success compared to other teams to have a higher rate and quality of depth right from the get go?

I trust Bez as well, but Dike has had some success here already, which can be a rare thing for TFC players. I would like to see him kept around for that reason, but also because he has already been blooded by the club, has started to settle in and knows the plan. It is in our favour to have some players around whom have these things going for them. Selling Dike (which might not happen) just seems to be another move in the revolving door history of the club.

Im just after a little bit of consistency here for the kind of players thatwe know have worked out for the club. We can always trade him within MLS if he doesn't end up fitting in after the start of the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shit, if selling Dike means keeping Laba im all for it (pay it down with allocation etc)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Red View Post
    I see all of your points RE Dike. However, I stand by my argument for quality in depth as well. TFC has been even more thin than usual for many MLS teams over the years which has been part of our problem.

If depth is something lacking in general at other clubs around the league, would it not be in our favour for success compared to other teams to have a higher rate and quality of depth right from the get go?

I trust Bez as well, but Dike has had some success here already, which can be a rare thing for TFC players. I would like to see him kept around for that reason, but also because he has already been blooded by the club, has started to settle in and knows the plan. It is in our favour to have some players around whom have these things going for them. Selling Dike (which might not happen) just seems to be another move in the revolving door history of the club.

Im just after a little bit of consistency here for the kind of players thatwe know have worked out for the club. We can always trade him within MLS if he doesn't end up fitting in after the start of the season.
    what success has Dike had with TFC? he scored 1 goal in 7 games. I prefer to keep players who are good enough instead of roving door policy, but if someone offers TFC a good deal, hard to turn that down. There's already been so much turnover this season (ya, that familiar tune), that losing Dike isn't going to hamper team chemistry much.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what success has Dike had with TFC? he scored 1 goal in 7 games. I prefer to keep players who are good enough instead of roving door policy, but if someone offers TFC a good deal, hard to turn that down. There's already been so much turnover this season (ya, that familiar tune), that losing Dike isn't going to hamper team chemistry much.
    What success did Buddle have with TFC? Or Wondolowski with Houston? Dike offers much more than a goal ratio (would you judge Magee by his past goal ratio?), would be a better fit up top with either Defoe or Gilberto and his attributes are excellent for this league, moreso IMO than Gilberto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dike is like a freight train. adds a dimension that we didn't have before. if dealing him means we can somehow keep Laba then do it. If not i would rather have him on the team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Dike offers much more than a goal ratio (would you judge Magee by his past goal ratio?), would be a better fit up top with either Defoe or Gilberto and his attributes are excellent for this league, moreso IMO than Gilberto.
    So we're judging a guy who hasn't had even one practice with TFC on what he can do in MLS?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What success did Buddle have with TFC? Or Wondolowski with Houston? Dike offers much more than a goal ratio (would you judge Magee by his past goal ratio?), would be a better fit up top with either Defoe or Gilberto and his attributes are excellent for this league, moreso IMO than Gilberto.
    first of all, Magee was often used as LW with LA, so no, I wouldn't judge him by his strike rate.

we don't know what moves Tim B is making, but as far as rating from what I know, and what I've seen, Dike is replaceable (esp because he's been injury prone). now I can't judge the future, so Dike might do better elsewhere. (though if teams like Celtic comes calling, you're going to have hard time denying Dike his Europe opportunity. his window is closing fast)

this is what I think TFC, being in a feeder league like MLS, should tell the players. work hard and perform, and if a better club than us presents you an opportunity, and makes a fair offer, we'll let you go or get you a better salary deal. the players have an incentive to work and the team has a motivated player. it's what goes on in SKC, and it works for them.
    Last edited by Yohan; 01-09-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    So we're judging a guy who hasn't had even one practice with TFC on what he can do in MLS?
    Well I judged Laba before he came here (in that he'd do well) and that turned out!

If I'm wrong, that's fine, but yeah given the information available I'm skeptical Gilberto is a fit for the league (again - Vickery is usually well informed, said he had his doubts he is physical enough for the league as he's not particularly strong). Not sure why I need to see a practice to come to a conclusion compared to a guy who creates good chances and proved he is a handful for defenders.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I judged Laba before he came here (in that he'd do well) and that turned out!

If I'm wrong, that's fine, but yeah given the information available I'm skeptical Gilberto is a fit for the league (again - Vickery is usually well informed, said he had his doubts he is physical enough for the league as he's not particularly strong). Not sure why I need to see a practice to come to a conclusion compared to a guy who creates good chances and proved he is a handful for defenders.
    as long as Gilberto can run the channels and make proper runs for all the throughballs Bradley is going to feed him, I'm ok with Gilberto being a weakling

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as long as Gilberto can run the channels and make proper runs for all the throughballs Bradley is going to feed him, I'm ok with Gilberto being a weakling
    Ha true enough. Shit I guess if Dike going means Laba staying then Bradley can feed Gilberto and Laba sends Defoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first of all, Magee was often used as LW with LA, so no, I wouldn't judge him by his strike rate.

we don't know what moves Tim B is making, but as far as rating from what I know, and what I've seen, Dike is replaceable (esp because he's been injury prone). now I can't judge the future, so Dike might do better elsewhere. (though if teams like Celtic comes calling, you're going to have hard time denying Dike his Europe opportunity. his window is closing fast)

this is what I think TFC, being in a feeder league like MLS, should tell the players. work hard and perform, and if a better club than us presents you an opportunity, and makes a fair offer, we'll let you go or get you a better salary deal. the players have an incentive to work and the team has a motivated player. it's what goes on in SKC, and it works for them.
    Agreed 100%. If he wants to go, let him go. We'll have actually done something good for a player for once and not be too far behind the 8-ball for the trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think I would ever see the day where TFC had a better midfield than Manchester United.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something very sweet about watching James Sharman talk about all this great TFC news while having a pint at Doolins Pub in Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I didn't think I would ever see the day where TFC had a better midfield than Manchester United.
    Hahaha. I would not go that far, but I am sure there are alot of teams in Europe that would have taken him for this money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I didn't think I would ever see the day where TFC had a better midfield.
    *Fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be a buzzkill but is anyone else worried about how Dero is going to fit in with a new look TFC?

Dero didn't exactly come across as a humbled guy today (Which is fine in a way as his attitude/ego/drive is what made him a great player) but can that Dero be content as a role player? It is fine for Bez to call him the heart and soul at a presser but he can't be that on the field if Bradley, Osorio are getting the touches through the middle and Defoe and Gilberto up top. Seems to me that Dero's game was more about individual play, setting up and taking his own chances. I'm concerned that the Tims brought Dero back more as PR move and wonder how Dero reacts if he doesn't get the touches, playing time he is used to.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Both Defoe and Gilberto's hold up play are decent even considering their size. Obviously size is an important factor but I'd say body position and center of gravity are just as important.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is true and Defoe held up well in the Prem so he can handle physical defenders. Gilberto I go by things said on the interwebs so who knows until we see for ourselves. And I think the hammers as forwards thing may be overrated as I don't see Keane and Donovan as beast forwards either. Or Henry & Espindola for that matter.
    Henry is a big boy, though, at about 6'2" or so. Keane, Donovan and Espindola are smaller, yes. My point was more about Dike being a bull. I mean, he is probably 50lb heavier than Gilberto and he's got a lot of muscle on him, which has to make him tough to handle.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's keeping track? How much cap space is there left?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish only the best to my hometown team with these moves. Let the season begin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Who's keeping track? How much cap space is there left?
    . Ivy, i think at present they must be beyond the cap. Four DP's plus DeRo and Ecks is nearly the cap. Add the other twenty players....
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-11-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Logic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    . HaHaHaHaHa oh Ivy that's brilliant. They are so far beyond the cap. Four DP's plus DeRo and Ecks is nearly the cap. Add the other twenty players....
    ...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    . HaHaHaHaHa oh Ivy that's brilliant. They are so far beyond the cap. Four DP's plus DeRo and Ecks is nearly the cap. Add the other twenty players....
    Um... Ecks is gone, and the cap hit of the other five is about 1.7 million (though you can't really know because Laba's cap hit isn't entirely clear). so they make up about half of our cap, not to mention i'm fairly sure we'll be using a hefty amount of our allocation money to pay down the hits of whoever the last MLS veteran signing is. slots 21-30 also don't count against the cap. So, we're actually pretty good on cap space right now.

Bezza will do us right.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 01-10-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe has good instinct and sees the game well, he has a nose for goal, but he is not the biggest or strongest and he is no longer as fast as he was, SO, while I still think he can and will score for us, he needs a partner up front, and ideally that partner is one that is big and strong and creates space and opportunities, a true CF. Gilberto, from what I see out there is stronger then Defoe more of a classic 9 but, he is not a big target guy, so a guy like Dike to play ahead of Gilberto and Defoe would be great.

Imagine a Dichio type making space, holding up the ball and laying off the ball to these two, that could be a potent offence, then with Bradley you can have a strong 3 men two way mid both to protect the back line and to support play. Personally I hope we find a way to keep Laba, he is a type of player we need to keep for the long term.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Not to be a buzzkill but is anyone else worried about how Dero is going to fit in with a new look TFC?

Dero didn't exactly come across as a humbled guy today (Which is fine in a way as his attitude/ego/drive is what made him a great player) but can that Dero be content as a role player? It is fine for Bez to call him the heart and soul at a presser but he can't be that on the field if Bradley, Osorio are getting the touches through the middle and Defoe and Gilberto up top. Seems to me that Dero's game was more about individual play, setting up and taking his own chances. I'm concerned that the Tims brought Dero back more as PR move and wonder how Dero reacts if he doesn't get the touches, playing time he is used to.
    It doesn't matter anymore. Face it, we are all pretty numb to Dero, and there will be a lot of other things to discuss, thankfully.

But you're right, he'll probably be like Super Pippo was at Milan at the end, scoring goals as a sub, and bitching all the way about how he should be starting.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So tomorrow night is Drake Night at the ACC... safe to assume there will be TFC spys in the crowd hoping to catch either Defoe or Bradley court-side with Drake? It'll be fuel for the RPB Forum fire... not that you guys need a whole lot. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Defoe has good instinct and sees the game well, he has a nose for goal, but he is not the biggest or strongest and he is no longer as fast as he was, SO, while I still think he can and will score for us, he needs a partner up front, and ideally that partner is one that is big and strong and creates space and opportunities, a true CF. Gilberto, from what I see out there is stronger then Defoe more of a classic 9 but, he is not a big target guy, so a guy like Dike to play ahead of Gilberto and Defoe would be great.

Imagine a Dichio type making space, holding up the ball and laying off the ball to these two, that could be a potent offence, then with Bradley you can have a strong 3 men two way mid both to protect the back line and to support play. Personally I hope we find a way to keep Laba, he is a type of player we need to keep for the long term.
    Defoe has lost a step but he is still pretty quick. I think we are going to see the best of him when teams are playing a higher line or pushing up against us. Defenders in this league are not gokng to be used to player like him - fast, direct and a good finisher.

He also has a very good long shot - he is a big danger from outside the 18 yard.

Agree about pairing with a Dichio style player. That classic 90's big target man/fast finisher combo would work well in this league right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wince View Post
    So tomorrow night is Drake Night at the ACC... safe to assume there will be TFC spys in the crowd hoping to catch either Defoe or Bradley court-side with Drake? It'll be fuel for the RPB Forum fire... not that you guys need a whole lot. lol
    They'll be on TV if they are there. Don't need much fuel at this point. Spurs have officially announced Defoe and Bradley's agent said he's coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Don't need much fuel at this point. Spurs have officially announced Defoe and Bradley's agent said he's coming.
    Yeah, saw the Defoe announcement after posting. Seeing them in Toronto will make it seem real. Right now it's like I'm in this "pinch me, I'm dreaming" state!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Um... Ecks is gone, and the cap hit of the other five is about 1.7 million (though you can't really know because Laba's cap hit isn't entirely clear). so they make up about half of our cap, not to mention i'm fairly sure we'll be using a hefty amount of our allocation money to pay down the hits of whoever the last MLS veteran signing is. slots 21-30 also don't count against the cap. So, we're actually pretty good on cap space right now.

Bezza will do us right.
    I think you are right that Bez will fix it, but I was serious if too flippant with my comment to Ivy. At this present moment, with four DP's, DeRo and Ecks still on the books, we will have real cap issues. Ballpark, those six are at $2 million total leaving $800,000 or so for the rest of the team. It's not a worry but has to be the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, thats why ppl wanted Gila here...he would of brought that style of play to this team

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Defoe has lost a step but he is still pretty quick. I think we are going to see the best of him when teams are playing a higher line or pushing up against us. Defenders in this league are not gokng to be used to player like him - fast, direct and a good finisher.

He also has a very good long shot - he is a big danger from outside the 18 yard.

Agree about pairing with a Dichio style player. That classic 90's big target man/fast finisher combo would work well in this league right now.