Page 13 of 215 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    you build a team from bottom up, and I'm not convinced TFC is built to sustain a team through long MLS season. you can build a winning MLS team without DPs, if you get the rest of the team right. DPs are suppose to be players that puts an already good team over the top, not the guys you want to rely on primarily.

Top 4 out of 6 goal scorers last year were not DPs.
    You're talking about team-building here. I'm talking about getting a striker who can score us goals. There's a big difference. It's not either or. And honestly, our team is not that terrible. We just can't score goals. That's what we're trying to address.

If Koevermans had been healthy this year it could have been a very different year indeed. That's what I'm talking about. Getting a goal scorer. If you know of any in this league who are not DP status and available, do drop the names. I'm all ears! But yes, we need to build the team from the ground up, and we need to look at MLS guys who can start on our team, and we need to look at the top 10 and understand that DP's are not the only guys who score goals - but while we do that, let's go get ourselves a couple of DP's who are almost certainly going to tear this league a new one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I wouldn't take him. Don't need the headache right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/11/...-contract.html

Apparently cut due to 'technical deficiency' from Bahia. Now Brazilian league has higher quality than MLS technically, but for a guy supposedly an AM, that's a pretty damning assessment.

And where would he fit in TFC? AM? Nelsen doesn't play with AM and Adu doesn't track back. LM/LW? He's played there before, but not effective.

I'd pass. He's too much of a problem child.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    ... We just can't score goals. That's what we're trying to address.
    Which we can't do just by bringing in strikers. I think we are all on the same wave length, but its amazing how often people around TFC have thought "If only we got a striker like X, we'd be fine." Since Dichio, this has been our issue.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're talking about team-building here. I'm talking about getting a striker who can score us goals. There's a big difference. It's not either or. And honestly, our team is not that terrible. We just can't score goals. That's what we're trying to address.

If Koevermans had been healthy this year it could have been a very different year indeed. That's what I'm talking about. Getting a goal scorer. If you know of any in this league who are not DP status and available, do drop the names. I'm all ears! But yes, we need to build the team from the ground up, and we need to look at MLS guys who can start on our team, and we need to look at the top 10 and understand that DP's are not the only guys who score goals - but while we do that, let's go get ourselves a couple of DP's who are almost certainly going to tear this league a new one.
    If TFC had a proven manager that can build a team properly, sure, tie up much of cap on 2 DPs. But Nelsen is at best questionable right now.

TFC right now has 'ok' first team, competitive enough not to get blown out every game. But we don't have depth in most positions. As of right now, one long term injury to Rey and Osorio will cripple our offence.

So, advocating tying up 740k (assuming DP cap hit remains the same) on 3.1 mil salary cap for 2014, which is about 24% of the cap on 2 players out of 20 roster spots counting towards the cap is a risky proposition right now. TFC can easily end up like 2008 NY and LA, that just plugged in whatever player at any position, and hope that something sticks. And if the DPs go down injured? Because the turf monster loves 30 something players.

What the 2 DPs also create is an atmosphere of unrealistic expectations, esp if the 2 DPs don't arrive until Aug. I don't think TFC will make the playoffs again in 2014 as of right now, simply because we don't have the first team, or the depth to compete the entire season. Even if TFC gets at least one DP in Jan, and he turns out to be 12-14 goal scorer (which is more realistic expectation), I don't think that'll be enough for playoffs.

What I want is a TFC team that can lose a key player, and not collapse. This means proper team building, incl depth. This team is not ready for DP right now.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Yohan, we'll have a better idea of the direction TL wants to take the team after the Re-Entry Draft. See what players are available and how many TFC actually ends up drafting. They could probably at least build some extra depth through that process, then in the second round of the Superdraft and the Supplemental draft get some additional pieces to work with. I get a feeling that next year won't be pretty, but it won't be as bad as this year was - we're going to make the playoffs! (didn't TL guarentee that?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Which we can't do just by bringing in strikers. I think we are all on the same wave length, but its amazing how often people around TFC have thought "If only we got a striker like X, we'd be fine." Since Dichio, this has been our issue.
    Koevermans was not a successful striker for us? Not fair to rate him based on injury - that's not a DP problem, that's just sports. He scored bags of goals for us. That's what we need. Gilardino has the potential to do that as well as Defoe. Not a guarantee, but doing nothing hasn't done much for us either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

defoe scores penalty kick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC had a proven manager that can build a team properly, sure, tie up much of cap on 2 DPs. But Nelsen is at best questionable right now.

TFC right now has 'ok' first team, competitive enough not to get blown out every game. But we don't have depth in most positions. As of right now, one long term injury to Rey and Osorio will cripple our offence.

So, advocating tying up 740k (assuming DP cap hit remains the same) on 3.1 mil salary cap for 2014, which is about 24% of the cap on 2 players out of 20 roster spots counting towards the cap is a risky proposition right now. TFC can easily end up like 2008 NY and LA, that just plugged in whatever player at any position, and hope that something sticks. And if the DPs go down injured? Because the turf monster loves 30 something players.

What the 2 DPs also create is an atmosphere of unrealistic expectations, esp if the 2 DPs don't arrive until Aug. I don't think TFC will make the playoffs again in 2014 as of right now, simply because we don't have the first team, or the depth to compete the entire season. Even if TFC gets at least one DP in Jan, and he turns out to be 12-14 goal scorer (which is more realistic expectation), I don't think that'll be enough for playoffs.

What I want is a TFC team that can lose a key player, and not collapse. This means proper team building, incl depth. This team is not ready for DP right now.
    I understand your point, but we're 7 years into TFC, and we've really only ever had 1 solid striker - and that's Koevermans. He was a DP. He worked for us - although injury cut the party short. That can happen to anyone. Adding Gilardino and Defoe would make us infinitely better. We'd likely score bags of goals. Sure, they can both get injured. But so can any player on our team. Chelsea and Arsenal are not immune to injuries either. It's part of the game. But let's see how it goes. I for one HOPE and PRAY we get a DP striker to start our season. Otherwise I fear we'll be seriously fucked. Re: salary issues with DP's, that just shows once again what a joke of a league this really is. I'm hanging in there hoping it will change, but it's really time for this league to grow up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    defoe scores penalty kick
    He CRUSHED it. Highest scoring player in Europe in Spurs history now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea he did. missed that volley earlier tho, kind of silent all game getting marked tight. and he is playing as only striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    yea he did. missed that volley earlier tho, kind of silent all game getting marked tight. and he is playing as only striker.
    He had 7 touches on the ball in the first half with 80% possession from Spurs. He's getting no balls. Not to turn this into a game thread......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top 4 out of 6 goal scorers last year were not DPs.
    Yeah, but 10 out of the top 15 goal scorers were DPs this year...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Yeah, but 10 out of the top 15 goal scorers were DPs this year...
    And in 2012, out of 13 players that scored 10 goals or more, 9 were not DPs.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying Koevs wasn't a good player.

What I'm saying is TFC circles have been screaming about getting a goal scorer as the primary need of the team since the Dichio days. Heck, I can remember people saying Koevs wasn't enough.

For myself, until this season, our biggest need was in the CD position. Now, I'd say striker and AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are we acting like TFC has only two options, go after DPs or build depth? This team has enough cap space and allocation to do both.

Bez made it clear they're focused on bringing in some MLS vets this offseason. The two DPs are not the only moves they're going to make. In their words, they're going to be "buyers".

This team has a lot of holes in the lineup right now. IMO, we need about 4-5 new starting-level players. A couple of those can be DPs, it's not going to destroy the cap. Many of the teams in the playoffs have multiple DPs. And Keane, Henry, Di Vaio, Valeri etc. have shown that they're well worth the $370k cap hit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Why are we acting like TFC has only two options, go after DPs or build depth? This team has enough cap space and allocation to do both.

Bez made it clear they're focused on bringing in some MLS vets this offseason. The two DPs are not the only moves they're going to make. In their words, they're going to be "buyers".

This team has a lot of holes in the lineup right now. IMO, we need about 4-5 new starting-level players. A couple of those can be DPs, it's not going to destroy the cap. Many of the teams in the playoffs have multiple DPs. And Keane, Henry, Di Vaio, Valeri etc. have shown that they're well worth the $370k cap hit.
    of course I get that. what I'd like to see is a better team put together, then add DPs on top. otherwise it'd be waste of resources, and who knows if Bogers will open up their purse strings again if Defoe and Gilardino end up as failures.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course I get that. what I'd like to see is a better team put together, then add DPs on top. otherwise it'd be waste of resources, and who knows if Bogers will open up their purse strings again if Defoe and Gilardino end up as failures.
    So you don't want to add DPs until 2015? Or the summer window? If they're going to be part of this team why wait to integrate them.

I consider DPs just as another part of the puzzle. MLS team building is all about maximizing value based on cap hit. The only difference with DPs is that you can get a much higher value than their cap hit. It's up to the FO to sign the right players that can contribute at a MLS level. But DP or not, all that matters is that they help win games.

And if we somehow manage to get both Defoe and Gilardino and still suck next year then this team is definitively cursed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all want to see a team that is put better together. Gilardino and Defoe is going to make any MLS team better overnight, so I honestly don't understand why you want to wait and add the best 2 pieces at the very end (whenever that is). To me it's extremely risky for us to move ahead without at least one striker who is guaranteed (at least on paper) to score bags of goals. Doubt we can find guys of their quality for less than DP. And I'm kinda sick of MLS strikers coming to Toronto and bombing. Too many of those. I think it's time we get another Koevermans. Or ideally two - in case one of them goes down to injury.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if we were to just basically continue building the team slow like we have been and next season we increased our point totals by around what we did this year and got 35-ish points, we'd still probably be 10 points from the last play in spot and looking for another new manager and the "culture change" that goes along with it. Then we could cue the player dump, get the full rebuild in effect, and be on groundhog day #5. The plus side of that would be that the price freeze would still be in effect and there'd be lotsa empty seats available for walk up business.

Don't know about anyone else but I just want to see us get back to winning more than losing/drawing at home and at least get back to being in the playoff picture in the summer. Being out of it in May for 3 straight years is shit and if it takes DPs, black magic, or whatever to do it then I am good with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilardino and Defoe would be a top pairing for almost any team in world, certainly outside the top world top 20.

I agree that this is not the way I would build, but damn, this is potentially the best strike force in North America.

You play a 4-4-1-1, with those two on top, and the rest of the team working hard, and we will get to the playoffs, and both have a couple of years left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Defoe is coming, too many people whispering in his ear not to go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all want to see a team that is put better together. Gilardino and Defoe is going to make any MLS team better overnight, so I honestly don't understand why you want to wait and add the best 2 pieces at the very end (whenever that is). To me it's extremely risky for us to move ahead without at least one striker who is guaranteed (at least on paper) to score bags of goals. Doubt we can find guys of their quality for less than DP. And I'm kinda sick of MLS strikers coming to Toronto and bombing. Too many of those. I think it's time we get another Koevermans. Or ideally two - in case one of them goes down to injury.
    Agreed. It's a bit of a chicken and egg case, isn't it? I mean, with our reputation, it would be hard to convince talent from around the league that we mean business, this time around. Getting two world class players in automatically makes any club that bit more desirable to play for and Lord knows we could use any help we can get, in that regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think these moves would be great and make this team a potential MLS cup winner.

just take a look....

------------------------------------Bendik-----------------------------------
    Konopka

Bloom----------Caldwell-------------------------Henry---------------Morgan
    ? Agboss ? ?

Rey--------------------Laba------------------Osorio----------------Convey
    Lamb Hall Bekker NewMLS

---------------------------------------------Defoe------------------------
    Ernshaw
    ----------------------------------Gilardino---------------------------------
    ----------------------------------Dike------------------------------------

Thats 18 Players that this team will keep maybe more but if you fill in the gaps and add MLS quaility players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gareth Wheeler ‏@WheelerTSN 4m Source tells me Leiweke has been entertaining potential DP's mother in Toronto for the last week or so. She apparently likes the city. #TFC

and

Gareth Wheeler ‏@WheelerTSN 3m
    She was at Real Sports today watching her son play in the Europa League. And he'll likely play in World Cup. Defoe? Scored today #THFC #TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnathan de Guzman? i kid

Wow look like TL is really putting in the time and effort to land us the players they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build an academy or something in St. Lucia and you got your Defoe. His mom is from there and it's a place close to his heart.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right now the DP hunt feels like finding whatever decent European player willing to come to MLS, and hope that they stick. I've yet to see a coherent tactical system from Nelsen, and I believe that you find the DPs that fit your system, not build a system around your DPs.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just so that I'm clear - is the subtext with Dafoe and Gilardino that, if they agree to come to TFC, they would only come after World Cup?
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports