Page 11 of 215 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something doesn't add up. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the budget approved by the board something like 26M? Gilardino's deal totals 18M and according to that article, Defoe would be on 8.5M/year. That would mean Defoe is coming for 1 year on a free and they'd still be 500K over budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    Something doesn't add up. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the budget approved by the board something like 26M? Gilardino's deal totals 18M and according to that article, Defoe would be on 8.5M/year. That would mean Defoe is coming for 1 year on a free and they'd still be 500K over budget.
    Plus there are FIFA regulations about talking to a player without his club's permission, and AVB has already said Spurs have no intention of letting Defoe go; plus he's playing tomorrow, and even if there is something going on, it beggars imagination they'd announce it on a game day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the budget was raised, I remember reading that somewhere here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If every player who's manager said they have no intention of was actually held back, most transfers would not happen. AVB's talk means nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilardino could go to Brazil. Could. He could easily hurt his chances to go, or his minutes there, if he agrees to this now.

I don't see how this would help the Azzuri, or Gilardino's bid to play for them. If true, it means that Genoa will be much more inclined to cut his minutes and/or he'll be playing minor league soccer here next spring in the buildup.

I think we have enough experience with these "on the verge" pronouncements to understand that there are malign motives for the leaks. Agents, teams and players work a lot of angles. We get played a lot. MLS and Leiweke have little/no experience with this kind of in-season signing. Beckham was pretty unique.

The timing is wrong. Even if true, I see this one as next summer's business.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-07-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think the budget was raised, I remember reading that somewhere here.
    Yeah, I read that somewhere too. I thought the number kicked around was in the $40 mill range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Gilardino could go to Brazil. Could. He could easily hurt his chances to go, or his minutes there,
    I don't see how this would help the Azzuri, or Gilardino's bid to play for them. If true, it means that Genoa will be much more inclined to cut his minutes and/or he'll be playing minor league soccer here next spring in the buildup.

I think we have enough experience with these "on the verge" pronouncements to understand that there are malign motives for the leaks. Agents, teams and players work a lot of angles. We get played a lot. MLS and Leiweke have little/no experience with this kind of in-season signing. Beckham was pretty unique.

The timing is wrong. Even if true, I see this one as next summer's business.
    How would he hurt his chances to play in the world cup if the deal is reportedly with a loan back to genoa untile the end of the 2013/2014 season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen no reports of Defoe anywhere in reputable English newspapers. With him penciled into today's lineup for Spurs there's no chance we'll see an announcement today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still waiting for someone to give me an example of a player that wasn't chosen for the national team when moving to a different league...
    I could understand players like Defoe, who are on the border of making the roster, and hardly play.
    But guys like Gila have proven year after year to be productive, and will at least be taken and observed - they can remove and replace players from the national team roster.
    You're telling that if Balloteli came to MLS, Italy wouldn't play him? I can't see it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to give me an example of a player that wasn't chosen for the national team when moving to a different league...
    I could understand players like Defoe, who are on the border of making the roster, and hardly play.
    But guys like Gila have proven year after year to be productive, and will at least be taken and observed - they can remove and replace players from the national team roster.
    You're telling that if Balloteli came to MLS, Italy wouldn't play him? I can't see it...
    I believe SAF said Beckham's move to MLS was the end of his England career. And it pretty much was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's a universal rule, I think it depends on the player and the nat'l team. Players on the fringes of squads may be overlooked if they leave for MLS, but players integral to their nat'l teams would still be considered. But can't see many players integral to their nat'l teams coming over to play in MLS (unless you play for Lichtenstein or somewhere similar). There's also the issue of seasonal timing. If you aren't playing during the winter months, when many int'l fixtures are played, you may get left behind because of lack of fitness, followed by lack of recent int'l playing time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I believe SAF said Beckham's move to MLS was the end of his England career. And it pretty much was.
    I don't know if that's comparing apples to apples though - at 32 Beckham wasn't what he was at 25. Not saying Gilardino is either. Becks did still cap for England though after the move, but it was the beginning of the end for him. Gilardino and Defoe are both in a similar position I'd argue, more so Defoe. When your at the point that your basically a late game sub, your glory days are behind you. Defoe is barely the 4th striker currently behind Rooney, Sturridge and Welbeck, and I doubt he gets rated above them moving forward. Gilardino might be a little better rated for Italy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from 2007-2009 beckham made 21 appearances for England. He was what 34 when he stopped international play?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But yet he was good enough to play for Milan?
    no disrespect to Beckham, but the dude caused issues at ManU, who I'm sure had some influence over the England squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realized I still may be hung over and that post didn't make much sense at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post
    I don't think it's a universal rule, I think it depends on the player and the nat'l team. Players on the fringes of squads may be overlooked if they leave for MLS, but players integral to their nat'l teams would still be considered. But can't see many players integral to their nat'l teams coming over to play in MLS (unless you play for Lichtenstein or somewhere similar). There's also the issue of seasonal timing. If you aren't playing during the winter months, when many int'l fixtures are played, you may get left behind because of lack of fitness, followed by lack of recent int'l playing time.
    We're not talking about "many international fixtures", we're talking about World Cup - which is played DURING the MLS season, so going by your argument, he should be in better form and a step ahead of everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're not talking about "many international fixtures", we're talking about World Cup - which is played DURING the MLS season, so going by your argument, he should be in better form and a step ahead of everyone else.
    I'd love to pretend that was true to justify why he should play for us and not for Genoa, but the World Cup group stage starts less than a month after the conclusion of the Serie A season. Genoa's last game is against Roma. I'm pretty confident that if I was selecting a squad, I'd rather have my player coming from a team battling relegation in Serie A against Roma than a regular season match against the Columbus Crew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's debatable. I think it's more likely players would be in peak fitness in terms of muscle strength and resilience at the end of their club seasons than the middle of a season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's debatable. I think it's more likely players would be in peak fitness in terms of muscle strength and resilience at the end of their club seasons than the middle of a season.
    Certainly debatable, not sure which would be more ideal. I still think quality of competition is the biggest factor, regardless of timing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope the speculation regarding Defoe and Gilardino is legitimate. The acquisitions of these two world class strikers would provide a much needed shot of adrenaline to this organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Becks was initially dropped for that very reason, and a big part of his Milan moves was to showcase his ability in a league of higher quality.Capello told him he had to return to Europe to guarantee his England place.
    Another possible example is last month Klinnsman saying that Dempsey was no longer guaranteed a spot on US world cup roster, not sure I agree with it, but before his move to MLS he was a major player in that team and a statement like that would have been unheard of, and it would defo make any current US players based in Europe think twice about coming back to Mls if they want to go tto WC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is still a lower level league than any of the major European leagues. If a player who, let's face it, is ageing and probably already on the bubble of their international squads leaves one of the big leagues to come to MLS it might just be enough to confirm they've lost a step to many managers. Fair or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is still a lower level league than any of the major European leagues. If a player who, let's face it, is ageing and probably already on the bubble of their international squads leaves one of the big leagues to come to MLS it might just be enough to confirm they've lost a step to many managers. Fair or not.
    Agreed. Until the flow of talent goes both ways between Europe and NA, and not just on a one-way trip to retirement or renewed relevance, that is always going to be the attitude of the MLS internationally. It's not insurmountable for MLS, but it is what it is. When European teams start throwing large cash for players from MLS things will start to change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tottenham Hotspur@SpursOfficial7m
    On the verge: if JD scores tonight, he will become our all-time leading European goal scorer! #THFC pic.twitter.com/4X0838DcGj

Won't be seeing anything today.....

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who'll get his jersey first?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not getting excited until it's on TFC's website. Once bitten, twice shy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very close indeed. But still not official. Remember, Forlan was also very close to signing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Who'll get his jersey first?
    At forward... Numbberrrrr 37.... Maximiliano Urruuu.... I mean ALBERTO GILARDINOOOOOO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I'm not getting excited until it's on TFC's website. Once bitten, twice shy...
    Ben Haim.