Page 87 of 215 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 6437
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Chivas needs to sign Rosales by the re-entry draft, no? He's still out of contract.

Anyways, I'm sure they'll get that done, so strike one name off the list.
    generally a trade like this doesn't happen, unless the new team has a new contract agreed with the player, or picking up the player's option year on contract or something. Rosales can also choose to opt out of re-entry draft, giving Chivas USA exclusive rights to negotiate a new contract.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Ensco. That scares me. (except the Silva trade is a black mark too, IMHO)
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He had six months here. Six months.

In which time he got out from under a number of bad contracts, and saved up some allocation for the next guy to use.

In his short time, we added three MLS -quality non-dps - Osorio, Laba, Caldwell. That's not bad.

The only thing I really don't like were the draft day trades, they were terrible (I'd rather have RJ and Farrell, instead of Earnshaw, Bekker and what allocation was left).

The Forlan obsession doesn't look any different, to my eyes, than the Defoe obsession. Neither one makes any real sense.

He may or may not be incompetent, but you sure as hell can't conclude that from the data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    generally a trade like this doesn't happen, unless the new team has a new contract agreed with the player, or picking up the player's option year on contract or something. Rosales can also choose to opt out of re-entry draft, giving Chivas USA exclusive rights to negotiate a new contract.
    The only way this makes any sense for CHIVAS is if he was what they wanted, but they weren't willing to pay him his option amount, and they had legit fears another team was going to take him.

A. You could have taken him straight up on his old salary in the 1st round and sucked up taking him on with an expensive contract to secure your chance to get another piece in the second round.
    B. I highly doubt anyone would have taken him at that salary... and if there were rumblings that someone would than Rosales probably wouldn't be signing a contract with Chivas before the 1st round is over (forsure one has been agreed to already)... meaning this is pointless.

You had the first stab at the guy anyways WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS FRANCHISE.

In other news we need to start doing more deals with Chivas.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    The only way this makes any sense for CHIVAS is if he was what they wanted, but they weren't willing to pay him his option amount, and they had legit fears another team was going to take him.

A. You could have taken him straight up on his old salary in the 1st round and sucked up taking him on with an expensive contract to secure your chance to get another piece in the second round.
    B. I highly doubt anyone would have taken him at that salary... and if there were rumblings that someone would than Rosales probably wouldn't be signing a contract with Chivas before the 1st round is over (forsure one has been agreed to already)... meaning this is pointless.

You had the first stab at the guy anyways WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS FRANCHISE.

In other news we need to start doing more deals with Chivas.
    In return, Chivas USA gave up Tristan Bowen, who I think will end up being a good MLS striker, and 2nd spot in allocation order. Pretty stiff price for soon to be 33 and on the decline Rosales.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    If this new Brazilian is as good or better than Saborio man do we have a player I'm buy-in season seats this year through a hook up see you at the stadium
    I am actually really considering getting season tickets for the first time too. I received a call a couple years back, but declined. I guess I need to get back on the wait-list? Any clue how that works?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waiting list is a myth......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto Oliveira Souza Junior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilberto_Oliveira_Souza_Junior
    Gilberto Oliveira Souza Júnior or simply Gilberto (born June 5, 1989 in Piranhas), is a Brazilian striker. He currently plays for Toronto FC of the MLS.
    ‎Carrer - ‎Santa Cruz - ‎Honours - ‎External links

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty stiff price to pay for something you could have pretty much had for free. Chivas USA is absolutely useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto Oliveira Souza Junior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Gilberto Oliveira Souza Júnior or simply Gilberto (born June 5, 1989 in Piranhas), is a Brazilian striker. He currently plays for Toronto FC of the MLS.
    ‎Carrer

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty stiff price to pay for something you could have pretty much had for free. Chivas USA is absolutely useless.
    it's obvious that there were other teams interested in Rosales

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's obvious that there were other teams interested in Rosales
    But you are the top of the order... It doesnt matter other interest..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC United was above Chivas in the re-entry draft order and other teams could have traded for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weren't they second?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my guess is that Chivas USA didn't want to take Rosales at option year. Or, another team made an offer to Seattle for Rosales's rights

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chivas almost certainly is very interested in getting another player from the re-entry draft besides Rosales. And obviously they weren't comfortable getting either at their current salary.

They probably gave up a bit too much but it only really makes no sense if they don't pick another sought-after player in the 2nd round of the draft. Trading for Rosales before the draft means they can secure him and whoever their other target is from the draft.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Chivas almost certainly is very interested in getting another player from the re-entry draft besides Rosales. And obviously they weren't comfortable getting either at their current salary.

They probably gave up a bit too much but it only really makes no sense if they don't pick another sought-after player in the 2nd round of the draft. Trading for Rosales before the draft means they can secure him and whoever their other target is from the draft.
    Plus everyone knew Bowen was on borrowed time at Chivas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Defoe have a better chance of working out than Gilberto does? I would say yes.

Is it so much more likely that it's worth 10x the cost? I would say no.

Does signing a Defoe increase the likelihood of management/player turmoil/turnover? I would say yes.

The resources of this team are not just the cap slots. The budget, whatever it is, belongs to the team, too. If it's spent unwisely, we all lose.

To be clear, the Gilberto signing is a radical development, a first for MLS. I am not advocating conservatism.

I would sign 3 Gilbertos and Labas, and skip the Defoes.
    This was Paynes approach. Tim L's is big talk big signing. That, and power/ego seem to be why Payne was fired. I'll be cheering Defoe like everyone else, and hoping he isn't hurt like Danny K, but Payne's idea sure seems better in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilardino deal appears to be dead
    https://twitter.com/carlolaudisa/sta...16934524600320
    Translation: Screeching halt for the passage of the # # Gilardino Toronto at the end of the season. The scorer of Genoa # # GDS can remain in Italy

Looks like it's all Defoe now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Neil Davidson on twitter Gilberto is at Leafs game tonight..

@NeilMDavidson

#TorontoFC's Brazilian target Gilberto is again enjoying MLSE hospitality. He's taking in #Leafs game tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    Gilardino deal appears to be dead
    https://twitter.com/carlolaudisa/sta...16934524600320
    Translation: Screeching halt for the passage of the # # Gilardino Toronto at the end of the season. The scorer of Genoa # # GDS can remain in Italy

Looks like it's all Defoe now

I feel like this means TFC either know for a fact Defoe is coming or they have a different DP planned..... last I heard Gilardino was still interested, so this sounds like something on TFC's part

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    I feel like this means TFC either know for a fact Defoe is coming or they have a different DP planned..... last I heard Gilardino was still interested, so this sounds like something on TFC's part
    Kelly basically said that the behind the scenes people at TFC/MLSE were getting things set for Dafoe's upcoming arrival and since Kelly is TL's chosen media lackey I would assume he's being fed grapes straight from the vine. No reason to think that this deal isn't already completed and just waiting for January to be announced.

Also much like saying the whole 'wait till he's holding the shirt' thing I will wait until the actual contract specifics are released before going wild about how $50M could have been spent (or saved).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Oddly enough, it cost us in the long run too. If this team had failed in CL then management would have had to really fix the issue. Success in CL sent the signal that things were okay on some level.
    Its true. I just cannot understand how different we looked in the two competitions. ( I for one care more about the Canadian Championship and the CL but I know that I am in the minority)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    We already have a stud DM in Laba in my opinion.
    Absolutely !
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do care. Why would you say that?

I saw about 5 Impact games, but only one down the stretch.

I thought any number of their subs (i.e. Wenger, Nyassi, Warner, Paponi, Pisanu) would be starters at TFC. This was brutally evident in the 6-0 game.

Maybe my statement was too strong, but yours are much stronger ("Di Vaio and mirrors", "they are in trouble") and I'll be interested to understand how your data shows that "you wouldn't trade their roster for our roster" when they are a 49 point team that finished 20 points ahead of us.

They finished weak, but is that as big a deal as you make it? Every team has a long winless/losing streak in MLS.
    Simply put, the Impact had the third or fourth (I'm going off memory) worst Total Shots Ratio value in MLS last year. Worse still, the TSR number was consistent all year. They didn't slump in second half. The stats suggested they corrected.

TSR is a very respected stat in the advanced stat world. It's very similar to Corsi for hockey fans here.

I'll post the league numbers on CSN sometime soon. I have to check numbers and its time consuming.

Yes, TFC was God awful by measure in case you were wondering.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any way that both Defoe And Gilardino could be coming??

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect part of the reason why TFC is chasing Defoe and Gilardino is not just from marketing POV, but also PR POV. Already TFC has gathered so much press in Europe and elsewhere because of being linked to Defoe and Gilardino.

If TFC does want to chase the next Beckham or Henry interested in signing for MLS, it's easier if you can tell them that your team once had Defoe/Gilardino play for them than Gilberto. So, setting up for future player acquisitions may have something to do with this.
    this is a very good point , every soccer site ,many international papersI read, has mentioned TFC AND in every Spurs game TFC is mentioned as pursuing Defoe , this will up TFC's image everywhere , which can't hurt .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dawkins View Post
    Any way that both Defoe And Gilardino could be coming??
    Zero chance. Our three DPs will be Laba, Gilberto, and one of Defoe/Gila with Defoe being the preferred option (and most likely to sign).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cathal and few others tweeting 1pm TFC news conference tomorrow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
    Cathal and few others tweeting 1pm TFC news conference tomorrow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Its true. I just cannot understand how different we looked in the two competitions. ( I for one care more about the Canadian Championship and the CL but I know that I am in the minority)
    It is one of life's great mysteries...