Page 59 of 215 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Convey will be back for way less money. In terms of Elmer, did I miss something? He hasn't played, why are we passing judgment?
    Probably because he hasn't played......ie. if he can't get starts in this defence......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that Eckersley was left off the roaster list for 2014. Clearly they do intend to buy his contract out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elmer stays?!?!

What the?!?!

Oh, and they better have a winger coming in or thinking of moving Osorio to the wing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Really, are you blind to how big, the Italian community is in this region? Or do you only notice when there is over One Million of us in the streets when we win the world cup because that annoys you? There is 500,000 Italian Immigrants, and at least that many first generation Italian Canadians. Like it or not we are a big part of this city.
    I think you missed his point; I don't think he is saying there aren't a lot of Italians here. I think the point he is making (or at least the one I am making) is that all the Italians (and all other Canadians regardless of first gen, second gen, etc) should identify as Canadians and Torontonians and thusly support your hometown club (and the country you live in too). All the ethnic divisions do nothing but keep all the groups here apart. For me, that's like the only plus to American life. At least there they are all "Muricans" and support their hometown teams and country. Here too many folks refer to themselves as the nationality of their parents or grandparents rather than what their passports say and seemed ashamed to say they're Canadians when asked. That's the sad thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Convey will be back for way less money. In terms of Elmer, did I miss something? He hasn't played, why are we passing judgment?

My thoughts exactly.

He is overpaid sure but apart from the Roma game I don't remember him playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we can give the roster moves it's own thread. Ton of stuff to discuss there and this thread is already a disaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started a thread to siphon off the nationality/ethnicity debate

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...local-football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think you missed his point; I don't think he is saying there aren't a lot of Italians here. I think the point he is making (or at least the one I am making) is that all the Italians (and all other Canadians regardless of first gen, second gen, etc) should identify as Canadians and Torontonians and thusly support your hometown club (and the country you live in too). All the ethnic divisions do nothing but keep all the groups here apart. For me, that's like the only plus to American life. At least there they are all "Muricans" and support their hometown teams and country. Here too many folks refer to themselves as the nationality of their parents or grandparents rather than what their passports say and seemed ashamed to say they're Canadians when asked. That's the sad thing.
    I agree and totally support TFC because they're my home city team and I support canada as my footballing nation.

The frustration (for me) comes out of TFC not being a team that was marketed to Canadians. It's been a team that has not tried to fall in line with the Canadian footballing culture (because we don't have one) but rather, a team that chose to go down a particular path. A path that a lot of the people at the top of Canadian football have chosen for many years.

To give an example....

If TFC had employed montreals philosophy in terms of club identity and principles and even player selection....AND had seven years of abject failure.....would people be saying the things they say now?

I doubt it.

Hell...there have been a couple of "typical Italian" comments in this thread alone. Imagine what it would look like around here after 7 years? Lol

Then I'm sure footballing culture would be a huge issue.

But when you have a club that caters to a vocal minority this is what you get.

For the record....I'd be happy if we signed Defoe. He's a great player.

But I won't ignore what makes him such an attractive target to the brass at this club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Elmer stays?!?!

What the?!?!

Oh, and they better have a winger coming in or thinking of moving Osorio to the wing.
    I am surprised by a lot of these moves too, especially Elmer. The guy couldn't even squeeze out a start over Morgan and that was at Morgan's lowest point. I figured Nelsen had no faith in him so he'd be toast. Maybe there was something else going on that was kept in the back room (trouble adjusting to new life here?). I could see Convey being the one Mr. B said they were going to re-negotiate with. I like Convey and he'd be a great fit either starting or off the bench of he'd take a pay cut by about $60K.

Or maybe the brass have a lot of moves already lined up and they just want to make one big bells and whistles "special announcement" presser and lead out a troop of new players including DPs at just that right time to make people hit YES on that "pay for renewal" button that will come up in January. That seems like a TL thing. Lots of pomp and stuff on display at Real Sports.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    What always gets me is how anyone can support a non-Toronto team (MTL because they have Italians on the team). It's bad enough that people do this in hockey, but in football? It boggles the mind.
    I agree with the folks who think this thread has gotten off-track a bit, so I'll make one last off-topic post, but I'm curious - why can't people support non-Toronto teams? I mean, I support most Toronto teams, but in some cases, I don't. Why is this mind-boggling?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    For the record....I'd be happy if we signed Defoe. He's a great player.

But I won't ignore what makes him such an attractive target to the brass at this club.
    You mean the fact that he is a very good player who actually would agree to play here?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martinutd View Post
    started a thread to siphon off the nationality/ethnicity debate

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...local-football
    thank you

How the heck is Lambe still here?
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-29-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    How many open international slots do we have:

Coming back for sure:
    1) Caldwell
    2) Rey
    3) Laba
    4) Lambe
    5) Elmer

Gone:
    6) Earnshaw
    7) Eckersley
    8) Danny K
    So we'll only have room for 1 more international assuming we're going to use 2 spots on DPs. I would imagine Convey will resign for a lower amount and we'll pick up a couple guys in the re-entry draft that have domestic status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elmer stays?!?!

What the?!?!
    I don't think it was a coincidence that Morgan stated playing better once Elmer arrived. You need competition to push you. Plus he arrived with a sprained ankle. I would bet we'll see more of him next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How the heck is Lambe still here?
    I have been asking my self this same thing for months and I guess I can keep doing it for the next year. Sometime ago someone said something about him getting a green card. I hope that is true because he may come cheap be he ain't worth no international roster spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    It is not the race card, it is the true feeling among the Italian community which has been building for years. I have been telling you for years that this is the feeling in the Italian community, and you may give a shit or not, but MLSE is failing to attract a very large fan base, probably the largest single group in the region. So when this group does not support TFC in large numbers or perhaps turns to another team do not be surprised.

My feeling is that unless things change soon, TFC will have lost that market for good, and they will either push for another team in the general region or support another MLS team.

This is just the reality, you cannot force a community to think differently then they do.
    Trane, I and all of the Italians in my family think TFC should be seeking to cater to Toronto's Italian community. But in this specific case (i.e. Gila vs. Defoe) the racism claim is off the mark IMO. If we can learn anything from the ongoing Ford Nation saga, it's that just because a segment of the population feels rightouesly indignant doesn't actually mean their cause is righteous. I would guess that some of the same people who would call TFC racist for not signing Gila (despite him moving the goalposts when a deal was "done") would also cry "racism" when someone mentions Saputo's reported mafia links (when there are actual reports of Saputo's mafia links). The point is, some people will never be satisfied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim Leiweke is cognisant of the sense of alienation that exists among many football supporters in the Italian community in Toronto with respect to TFC. Whether that sentiment is valid or self imposed is certainly up for debate in my opinion, simply because notable players of Italian descent never opted to ply their trade in North America prior to the MLS incarnation of the Montreal Impact, and I suspect that Joey Saputo's connections are the main reason why a MLS team was finally able to attract talent from Serie A.

In any event, if TFC does not sign an Italian DP prior to the start of the season to augment the talent on the current roster, it will certainly not be due to a lack of effort on the part of TFC management, despite what certain journalists may have reported recently.

Anyway, back to topic. I would be absolutely ecstatic if both Defoe and Gilardino agree to terms with TFC.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 11-29-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In all fairness, we still don't really know what Elmer is capable of yet - he barely got a look last season. I am surprised about some of the moves. I still don't think either one of Gilardino or Defoe would join us until after the World Cup, so I'm surprised Earnshaw is gone as he would have been a suitable placeholder until then. And even that Wiedeman is preferred - but I guess he does have youth on his side.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because a player's option is not picked up, doesn't mean he's not coming back next season. TFC can be negotiating with a player for a lower wage next season, and I'd expect this is the case for guys like Convey, Earnshaw and Russell.

Elmer is confirmed to be on a guaranteed contract for next year, means he just can't be cut at will. Haven't seen enough of him to rate him, though at least he serves as an excellent motivator to Morgan lol. Same reason why Ecks is technically on the roster still, guaranteed contract.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoxPopuliCosmicum View Post
    Trane, I and all of the Italians in my family think TFC should be seeking to cater to Toronto's Italian community. But in this specific case (i.e. Gila vs. Defoe) the racism claim is off the mark IMO. If we can learn anything from the ongoing Ford Nation saga, it's that just because a segment of the population feels rightouesly indignant doesn't actually mean their cause is righteous. I would guess that some of the same people who would call TFC racist for not signing Gila (despite him moving the goalposts when a deal was "done") would also cry "racism" when someone mentions Saputo's reported mafia links (when there are actual reports of Saputo's mafia links). The point is, some people will never be satisfied.
    So much for "All for One"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should know Yohan that Eckersley won't be returning next season. He will be bought out. Your right on Elmer. He's guaranteed for 2014. Stupid decision by Payne.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did a quick estimate, and TFC roster as of right now, minus Ecks who is likely gone, and assuming none of the option declined players re-sign, plus 10% wage increase, is at about 1.6 mil in cap hit. That is not taking into account Roster spots 21 to 30 rule which doesn't count towards cap hit. And that's using guaranteed compensation number, which is not the total cap hit.

Along with allocation money, that gives TFC about 1.5 mil to spend on 11 players, but the cap space becomes even bigger if you do take into account Roster spots 21-30 don't count on cap space rule. So, I'd say around 1.9 mil as of right now.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    You should know Yohan that Eckersley won't be returning next season. He will be bought out. Your right on Elmer. He's guaranteed for 2014. Stupid decision by Payne.
    yeah I know this. hence why I said 'Ecks is 'technically on the roster still'

though am curious whether Nelsen will go with Bloom as #1 RB and Richter as back up, because that's what it looks like right now.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Did a quick estimate, and TFC roster as of right now, minus Ecks who is likely gone, and assuming none of the option declined players re-sign, plus 10% wage increase, is at about 1.6 mil in cap hit. That is not taking into account Roster spots 21 to 30 rule which doesn't count towards cap hit. And that's using guaranteed compensation number, which is not the total cap hit.

Along with allocation money, that gives TFC about 1.5 mil to spend on 11 players, but the cap space becomes even bigger if you do take into account Roster spots 21-30 don't count on cap space rule. So, I'd say around 1.9 mil as of right now.
    DPs each take up $325,000?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    DPs each take up $325,000?
    368k per last roster rules

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm off, but I think they revised the number to 333k???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like all the moves except keeping lambe. renegotiate convey, looks like we have some good money to play with to add depth and some mls vets to the roster.

i think most here will agree, we are in a better position right now than before last season at this time. or rather the potential is much higher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that worries me is that they kept both Richter and Bloom.
    That makes me question whether they will still look to upgrade RB, or just go with Bloom as starter and Richter as cover.

I wouldn't have picked up Richter's option.
    Nothing against the guy, he's decent depth on a cheap salary... but so is Bloom.
    IMO you only need one of those two, and I'd choose Bloom.
    Then you go out and find a legitimate MLS Starting quality RB for Bloom to push for playing time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Then you go out and find a legitimate MLS Starting quality RB for Bloom to push for playing time.
    I think some of the players retained are being held on to for trade purposes.

For instance...

TFC want to trade for RB at club X.

Club X are willing to trade but require a RB back in the deal for depth.

TFC trades Bloom/Richter plus allocation money/picks (whatever) for the RB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    One thing that worries me is that they kept both Richter and Bloom.
    That makes me question whether they will still look to upgrade RB, or just go with Bloom as starter and Richter as cover.

I wouldn't have picked up Richter's option.
    Nothing against the guy, he's decent depth on a cheap salary... but so is Bloom.
    IMO you only need one of those two, and I'd choose Bloom.
    With Bloom and Richter on one side, and Morgan and Elmer on the other, you have to assume at this point we're not doing anything with the backs. Not sure I've seen enough of Bloom to really know if he's a starter. He did come from the same club as Chris Klute. Maybe lightning strikes twice?

(Unless it's Areathrasher's scenario).