Page 206 of 215 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,180 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Sorry, there is no basis for saying this, other than cynicism based on the previous regime.
    Perhaps you are right. Its however not all about whatever price Van has to pay to keep him, a lot can depend on whether he feels more wanted in another place than us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cam Weaver still available? Worth a shot.

Also, Tim B interview. Defoe injury "nothing to be concerned about", sounds about right considering he's been called up. Larson tweets indicate Gilberto also expects to be ready to go against Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL if you look at the MLS player rosters page, they still have the Tampa Bay Mutiny listed as aclub....

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players?fie...d_2=197&title=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    If what you're saying is true, should TFC not be considered a success based on their usual performance domestically? Given that we're seen as a bumbling failure, I would suggest V's isn't what people see as important.
    Even that hasn't been a success either. We havnt won the competition every year, we've crashed out of it many times.

People are always going to look at leauge success first before the VCup. I believe the opposite. It's more important to be champions of your country then forget about it and only focus in the leauge.

That Voyaguers Cup means a lot to us Canadian Soccer Supporters and I want us to have that trophy every single year.

Now there should be no sacrificing anything in terms of leauge or VCup or CCL. We should be playing our best every game, no matter what the competition.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    A large portion would be disappointed. The domestic title means just as much if not more then the MLS Cup.

The benifits of playing champions leauge football out weigh winning the MLS cup to me.

Showcasing not only our country but our city through out North America and possibly on a world stage if we won the champions leauge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    If what you're saying is true, should TFC not be considered a success based on their usual performance domestically? Given that we're seen as a bumbling failure, I would suggest V's isn't what people see as important.
    Any fan will take any domestic cup success, and yet still be disappointed if their domestic season hit the crapper.

European fan bases have always felt this way.

And the other thing is that with the domestic cup is that on top of performance it is also exposure (regardless of where the exposure is).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Even that hasn't been a success either. We havnt won the competition every year, we've crashed out of it many times.
    We've won half of them, that sounds to me to be at least a reasonable performance.

I'm not arguing what you believe - I feel differently but no need for everyone to share the same opinion - just that the reality of it is these competitions don't register with the broader public the same way the league does.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cup success is great.

League success is greater.

Having both is ecstasy time.

Cup success without league success is still better then not having either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Any fan will take any domestic cup success, and yet still be disappointed if their domestic season hit the crapper.

European fan bases have always felt this way.

And the other thing is that with the domestic cup is that on top of performance it is also exposure (regardless of where the exposure is).
    This isn't Europe, our domestic cup doesn't have a deep history or is it even widely understood. Coverage for these competitions is well below what it is for the league.

Again, I'm not saying it doesn't have benefits, just that it isn't top of the priority list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as much as I love the domestic cup, getting CCL games is the real priority (as nice as that shiny trophy is). Will be key to have Julio Cesar around (especially if we get a Mexican team in the group), and then in the knockouts in early 2015 we'd have Defoe and Bradley at prime ages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The V-Cup means nothing if you are absolute shit in the league like we have been. I enjoy the CCL and think we had the best matches in our history, but we cant be the laughing stock of the league anymore.

IMO TL doesn't want CCL success to be a priority, we bought the players to actually challenge for the league title which should be more important at this stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm feeling that our roster is looking pretty thin right now. The TFC website currently list 29 players, which includes Laba. If I had to guess at who will get sent to Wilmington I would bet on Hamilton, Roberts and Aparicio. We have three draft picks Hagglund, Lovitz & Eze on the roster list. I'm pretty sure Hagglund will get signed- not sure on the other two. Maybe they get signed or maybe they get sent to Wilmington. If they dont sign we are left with a roster of 23. Where do we find decent experience players now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hagglund has been signed as per Larson. Lovitz and Eze not signed yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Hagglund has been signed as per Larson. Lovitz and Eze not signed yet.
    Eze I don't think will be signed, and Lovitz could come down to if Issey will be signed. I can't see them signing two guys for Left Wing depth, but who knows. Lovitz might be worth keeping around on a non-guaranteed contract.

I see Hamilton staying with the first team until we find a striker on the open market.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I put the chance of Laba comming back at 1%. You have no control once the player is no longer yours, Tim B may be smart be he too will sugarcoat things because he knows how pissed of people are about this.
    You are right IMO.

Vancouver controls the show. If he plays well and they want him, they have the opportunity to offer him a contract extension. If so, looks like allocation comes TFC's way.

If they don't keep him and the contract expires, my guess is that Vancouver will most likely retain his rights. Larson speculated that Laba could return to Toronto if the contract expired but current roster rules are pretty clear:

(C) CONTRACT EXPIRATION
    When a player’s contract expires, the player does not count against the roster or budget of the team in question. Subject to the Re-Entry Draft rules, a team retains the rights to the player indefinitely following the expiration of a contract only if attempts were made to re-sign the player.

So, it would appear that if Vancouver doesn't attempt to resign him, he could be a "free agent." But according to League rules, Laba will be 23 with just 2 years of MLS experience. That puts him, as an out of contract player, in the Waiver draft process.

Most likely folks the idea of returning to Toronto is simply just an idea. Vancouver controls the player and even if they pass on him, it's unlikely he would pass through the Waiver process and fall in Toronto's lap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If they don't keep him and the contract expires, my guess is that Vancouver will most likely retain his rights. Larson speculated that Laba could return to Toronto if the contract expired but current roster rules are pretty clear:
    The deal could stipulate that if the "future considerations" we agreed upon aren't sent our way by the end of next year, his rights revert back to us.

It's all speculation at this point. And with murky deals like this I wouldn't trust the MLS rulebook as far as I could throw it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The deal could stipulate that if the "future considerations" we agreed upon aren't sent our way by the end of next year, his rights revert back to us.

It's all speculation at this point. And with murky deals like this I wouldn't trust the MLS rulebook as far as I could throw it.
    Speculation is all we have

Logically though, if TFC still hold some right to the player, then this would appear to be a loan. Which means all the loan stuff applies. Everyone official is saying it doesn't apply.

If this is a trade, the player's rights seemingly now rest completely with Vancouver. They can make a condition that they get money if Vancouver keeps him long term. That's fine. A lot of trades have conditions like that (or a draft pick or some other variable). But if Vancouver releases him, I can't see how TFC would immediately get him back as that would imply loan.

Sort of like Cesar. If TFC want him, they will have to negotiate a deal with the club. If they don't, he goes back. That's a loan. Tim B says Laba isn't on loan.

So, yeah... murky as hell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, we are in a cap league, I LOVE Laba, but we can't keep them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins appears to be reporting that we suffered a major injury today but won't say who or what until he has further confirmation.

Bradley and Caldwell are the 2 i would be gutted to see go down right now

Last edited by Pint; 02-27-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Rollins appears to be reporting that we suffered a major injury today but won't say who or what until he has further confirmation.

Bradley and Caldwell are the 2 i would be gutted to see go down right now

It's about A player on the Women's national team, not TFC. take a deep breath
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bman27 View Post
    It's about A player on the Women's national team, not TFC. take a deep breath
    Sorry didn't check the back tweet.... much more relieved right now than i was 2 min ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol yup womens national team..someone most likely tore ligament in knee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    lol yup womens national team..someone most likely tore ligament in knee
    as much as that sucks especially if it is sinclair i am relieved. really need to check the back/sub tweet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I really like Laba and was looking forward to seeing him develop as a red, but he only played 16 games for us, 10 of them he showed some real potential but then got hurt. Bradley on the other hand looks amazing, even when he is having an off game, he is nowhere near gelled with this team and has shown internationally that he can do that pretty quick.

So, I again brandish it down to some pretty serious issues with past management making some deals that just don't fit where we are going forward. Love it or hate it, its clear what our model is as a team and this comes from much higher than a manager or president, its the CEO of the company installing his vision and team to make it happen. Its proven and here. The MLS with its back room deals makes all this really hard to understand or appreciate but I am willing to guess that the rest of the league turned down their hatred of us a bit and might be willing to do some move talks for pieces we need, that or space will be made for us.
    Phil, I really respect you, and also the Tims, but have to disagree on this point. Urruti, Laba, Defoe, Bradley is clearly superior to Gilberto,Defoe, Bradley, as others have suggested. Not enough foresight by the Tims, and too much of the "everything Payne did is wrong."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Phil, I really respect you, and also the Tims, but have to disagree on this point. Urruti, Laba, Defoe, Bradley is clearly superior to Gilberto,Defoe, Bradley, as others have suggested. Not enough foresight by the Tims, and too much of the "everything Payne did is wrong."
    Not a valid comparison though, as we still would have been over the DP limit.

In essence, Gilberto replaced Urruti, and Bradley replaced Laba based on their skillsets and natural positions. So it's really a matter of comparing Urruti, Laba, and Defoe vs Gilberto, Bradley, and Defoe. I would take the latter all day long without question.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    and you know Urruti is good how? 7 games he played in MLS so far with 1 goal?

I'm very much willing to be proven wrong, but Urruti has done jack in MLS
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Yeah. And from what I have seen of him he would have no room in our system. I dont see Urruti as anything special atm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Not a valid comparison though, as we still would have been over the DP limit.

In essence, Gilberto replaced Urruti, and Bradley replaced Laba based on their skillsets and natural positions. So it's really a matter of comparing Urruti, Laba, and Defoe vs Gilberto, Bradley, and Defoe. I would take the latter all day long without question.
    This.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would certainly take Bradley over anybody. The price may be too high, but the risk that he is a bust is very low.

But all of Urruti, Laba, Defoe (bacause of his age, and the awful, enormous implications if he is a bust) and Gilberto are all big question marks.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-28-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How anyone would think any scenario without Bradley would be better than one with is plain out silly. MB is bringing a skill set to this team that it has never seen before.

Who knows what Urruti will become as a player in the MLS. As we all should know these type of signing are about potential and not their current reality. When I think of Urruti, the number 37 comes to mind, his jersey number and the exact number of minutes he played in a TFC Uniform.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

So has Gilberto. We don't know about either of them, but with him in that funny league DP category, we could have kept Laba. So Laba plus Urruti is greater than Gilberto, at least as of today.