Page 197 of 215 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,910 of 6437
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I'm excited. Now I just hope we don't pull a 2013 Toronto Blue Jays.
    now this is a true Toronotian sports fan.......ban this now

but it is true teams will be HATING us and if they only win one game it will be against us at home specially......I'm simply shooting for play-offs . OK would love to advance and eventually play a mexican team with this outfit but that couldn't happen ...till next year ....but this means look out TO we have some amazing soccer games coming up woohoo....
    Last edited by jazzy; 02-15-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Cesar highlight reel. He is unreal as a shot stopper, easily better than anyone in MLS.

http://youtu.be/mMnXWWBOwYM
    That video is right up there with the Becks free kick vid on YouTube, simply one of the best at what they do, with Julio in net this will be fun.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm excited to finally have a keeper that can distribute the ball :-)

An don't discount how important it is for the keeper to organize the back line. Cesar's experience will be massive here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that this is starting to settle in, think about the spine of our team for a moment. Cesar, Caldwell, Bradley, Defoe, Gilberto...

Could it be the best in MLS?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyToronto View Post
    Actually it happens all the time, but usually they go home. Something still missing here. There are a # of Brasilian clubs that could offer far more salary relief to QPR & you would imagine Scolari would prefer to have him in his back yard.
    as I previously quoted there are problems in Brazilian soccer right now , (similar world-wide ) , with politics , payments , fans....the players want to form a union...who knows what problems would encur going home , There are no guarantees.....here in Toronto we don't know what the playing environment is really like in the players home countries . Toronto is a completely controlled/safe environment where Cesar will get whatever playing time he wants.......and I'm lovin it.......but guys he's simply a goaltender....no Laba...(had to)..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    IMO the biggest factor in improving our goals against this year will actually be having strikers who can hurt you on the counter attack (or maybe at all, ha!).

The lack of respect other teams showed TFC last year was almost comical. They had no problem pinching both fullbacks and loosely marking the strikers in the middle. End result for our defense was that they were always bombarded as other teams threw guys forward without worrying about what would happen if TFC quickly found an outlet to their forwards.
    ^this......AND therefore why the hate on our D/CB's......esp Henry...he ws praised in England ...this is why I'm looking forward to our complete team this year . With all the respect teams will HAVE to show the 'name ' players our unsung 'HEROS' will shine......and must be involved .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Manager View Post
    His range on the dive and speed off the line are incredible. He is a cut above anything MLS has ever seen in goal.
    And to think, 2 seasons ago we were watching Freddy Hall set up a wall and then stand in the wrong place while watching the ball sail into the net. Quite an upgrade.
    Freddy Hall, sheese we have come far. I was also thinking about Preki's training camp with players arriving up until the 11th hour. Come to think of it that has been the MO previous to the Tim's regime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCwestcan View Post
    Freddy Hall, sheese we have come far. I was also thinking about Preki's training camp with players arriving up until the 11th hour. Come to think of it that has been the MO previous to the Tim's regime.
    I'm just glad the club pulled me back in finally after years of doing their best to push me away. I still vividly remember sitting there during the early years and watching guys like Andrea Lombardo and Colin Samuel try and score for us. Back then it felt like a win in and of itself when we scored a goal. To think we went from that to this is truly remarkable. Guys like Mista and Carlos Ruiz stealing money from the club with absolute porous efforts, and Tyrone Marshall just knocking people around because he didn't have the foot speed to keep up with anyone.

Ah, the good ol' days

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His range on the dive and speed off the line are incredible. He is a cut above anything MLS has ever seen in goal.
    And to think, 2 seasons ago we were watching Freddy Hall set up a wall and then stand in the wrong place while watching the ball sail into the net. Quite an upgrade.
    Ouch. Those memories of Freddy Hall doing exactly what you described are quite painful.
    This club has gone through such a massive upgrade, it will be unrecognizable from the TFC of old. That's a good thing.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know if i was the only one that caught htis or if it was brought up elsewhere, but Defoe was in Toronto last night, at the Justin Timberlake concert with De-Ro

http://instagram.com/p/ka7KHQADu2/

do you think he is staying for good, or going back to england?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It says so much from where the team was and is going.. I really hope they can pull off a great season. I'd love to see 15 points from the first 7 games.... I'd love to see the south end do a spit take. (it'll never happen but I'd like to see it)
    Last edited by Kaz; 02-15-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ a spit take would make for a great TIFO. Unless you are in the front rows...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I'm excited to finally have a keeper that can distribute the ball :-)

An don't discount how important it is for the keeper to organize the back line. Cesar's experience will be massive here.
    Finally we have a keeper than can save a penalty.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will just be pretty significant for the Reds not to be adding a vast amount of their roster with just a few days left before season opener and over the first few weeks of the season like they have in the past,

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Very good point. Hadn't thought about that.

Having Defoe, Bradley and now Cesar with that expeience and drive to succeed at the top level is going to make a big difference. Can add Caldwell to that list ad well.

A spine of professionalism down the field as well - from front to back.
    Arguably a world class spine front to back - seems as though the investment is in the right place.

The depth question will be answered, barring injury, if they all perform and head to Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Ouch. Those memories of Freddy Hall doing exactly what you described are quite painful.
    This club has gone through such a massive upgrade, it will be unrecognizable from the TFC of old. That's a good thing.
    Every year at renewal time I have justified the folly of coming back with the hope that one year, this club would do something to make the sticking with it through the painful years worthwhile. I am hopeful this is that year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcocd View Post
    Arguably a world class spine front to back - seems as though the investment is in the right place.

The depth question will be answered, barring injury, if they all perform and head to Brazil.
    Not sure Gilberto has much of a shot, mind you.. although that would be brilliant.

Doneil had a few too many brainfarts in defence for us and the U20s last year, not sure who was praising him in England but they clearly didn't see him consistently in these high-pressure situations. I'm confident he'll come good but we're definitely 1 CB short of a team that can go deep in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ a spit take would make for a great TIFO. Unless you are in the front rows...
    excuse for shirts off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by themodelcitizen View Post
    Not sure Gilberto has much of a shot, mind you.. although that would be brilliant.

Doneil had a few too many brainfarts in defence for us and the U20s last year, not sure who was praising him in England but they clearly didn't see him consistently in these high-pressure situations. I'm confident he'll come good but we're definitely 1 CB short of a team that can go deep in the playoffs.
    Yes the backline will not feature any world cup players unless morrow is a suprise add. I think the world class can only apply to 3 players and the beauty of this is the gk is not counting as a DP. Gilberto will be tested as a feature player during that time. Too bad mls can't squeeze in a bit longer of an international window to limit the depth test in league play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every year at renewal time I have justified the folly of coming back with the hope that one year, this club would do something to make the sticking with it through the painful years worthwhile. I am hopeful this is that year.
    Co-signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I was surprised Nelson politically lasted into his second season although it is now clear management realized his talent and connections, he has a wine business selling to the majority of EPL league players. Except for Bradly, his DNA is on all the international picks.

Talk about the stars aligning.. what a management team...Tim L. has the political clout to get the dollars from the Board and inspire a deal, Tim B the commercial nous to make the financial rules work and to date I have to say Ryan has been one step ahead of his mentor couches in the EPL on targeting talent.

Will it gel in the MLS? At least Ryan will not die wondering what could have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by themodelcitizen View Post
    In a perfect world, I'd like to see another veteran CB signed too. But having said that, Doneil Henry will have Julio Cesar behind him, Caldwell/Orr/Morrow on the backline, and Bradley in front. It's a great group to learn from, and it's an environment where he can afford to make a mistake and be confident that it won't automatically lead to a goal. Ideal setup for a young CB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to think, 2 seasons ago we were watching Freddy Hall set up a wall and then stand in the wrong place while watching the ball sail into the net.
    That's what gets me about all this. We haven't just been bad for 7 years, we've invented new levels of incompetence. This team has done a complete 180 in one offseason. I still can't believe we had a full roster at the beginning of preseason. Not to mention our TWO World Cup starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    In a perfect world, I'd like to see another veteran CB signed too. But having said that, Doneil Henry will have Julio Cesar behind him, Caldwell/Orr/Morrow on the backline, and Bradley in front. It's a great group to learn from, and it's an environment where he can afford to make a mistake and be confident that it won't automatically lead to a goal. Ideal setup for a young CB.
    still worrying though if Caldwell picks up an injury

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article from Sports Illustrated writer Brian Straus about Julio Cesar's move to TFC: A must read

http://soccer.si.com/2014/02/14/juli...zil-world-cup/

Most important part:

The goalkeeper will not be a DP. In fact, TFC still needs to offload midfielder Matías Laba in order to conform to the league limit of three. The loan deal with QPR appears to be a relatively simple one. The London club offloaded a veteran player desperate for minutes and will save a bit of money as well. QPR will continue to pay the vast majority of Júlio César’s salary. TFC likely will be stuck with a bill of around $250,000, which it will have to fit under its league-mandated salary budget.

I think TFC will be forced to trade Laba for allocation money to cover Julio Cesar's contract. Laba to Chivas? Could happen.
    Last edited by moralis; 02-15-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty incredible that we're getting Cesar on a non-DP contract. That's probably more impressive then the player himself, the contract which he's under.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    I think TFC will be forced to trade Laba for allocation money to cover Julio Cesar's contract. Laba to Chivas? Could happen.
    I highly, highly, highly doubt the Laba situation and the Julio Cesar signing are related in any way at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little part of me thinks somehow we keep Laba. Maybe its drunk me talking but this off season has been practically beyond reason (defoe, bradley coming together in no time, cesar on non do full year loan). The stars are aligning

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I highly, highly, highly doubt the Laba situation and the Julio Cesar signing are related in any way at all.
    agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Actually it is totally possible that the FO has realized there is no way to keep Laba this season and are converting his salary into Cesar.