Page 139 of 215 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totti jokes aside- does anyone follow Roma? Do they have any young players not getting minutes rotting away on their bench? Maybe a reclamation project who can't crack the squad? They have a glut at midfield right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke's interview is up http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Totti jokes aside- does anyone follow Roma? Do they have any young players not getting minutes rotting away on their bench? Maybe a reclamation project who can't crack the squad? They have a glut at midfield right?
    I don't but they should buy Laba and then loand him back to us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    2. Trade Ecks, pay $150k of his salary and buy out Laba then resign him.
    Is that allowable - buying out a contract then immediately resigning the player? Would the player need to go through any kind of draft before we could resign them? If the answers are yes and no respectively to those questions, it sounds like that would be an easy way around the 'amortized transfer fee' issue that seems to be what's the biggest issue trying to buy down Laba's contract with allocation funds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great day to be a TFC Supporter!!......as far as the Roma deal goes.....I can't see Roma sending many players our way....I see it more as TFC sending the young guys over to Italy for extra training/tactical knowledge.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Is that allowable - buying out a contract then immediately resigning the player? Would the player need to go through any kind of draft before we could resign them? If the answers are yes and no respectively to those questions, it sounds like that would be an easy way around the 'amortized transfer fee' issue that seems to be what's the biggest issue trying to buy down Laba's contract with allocation funds.
    I dont see how that could work. Laba is only on the cap for 200K & the rest of his cap space is going to pay Argie Jrs for his transfer isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyToronto View Post
    I don't but they should buy Laba and then loand him back to us.
    That is kind of genius...

With the agreement he stays on loan with us unless/until they want him to play for them

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyToronto View Post
    I dont see how that could work. Laba is only on the cap for 200K & the rest of his cap space is going to pay Argie Jrs for his transfer isn't it?
    I guess that's what I'm asking - can we legitimately buy out his contract to get away from the transfer fee hit to the cap, then resign him to a new deal where only the wages count against the cap?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    Leiweke's interview is up http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/
    Thanks for sharing this. Very refreshing to hear someone actually know about the sports he's managing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Thing is Dike is unproven commodity for us too. 1 goal in 8 doesn't inspire confidence that he can consistently put in 10-15 goals in a season. That leaves DeRo who, given his recent history with injury and performances last year, could also be washed up and not perform this year.
    I'm not really sure we should come to final conclusions on someone based on the final eight games of 2013 as there are numerous factors that played into that ratio. While I do agree his questions marks are being healthy and can he finish, I would offer he doesn't need to put in 10-15, but around 10 would be acceptable because his value would be more of a combination player and creating chances for those around him. Holding up the ball, being physically/athletically dominant, and creating chances on goal is what Defoe will need to play off of as he will likely be poaching in the 18 ready to take care of anything loose coming up or running onto.

Three of the four MLS Cup semi finalists had significant goal support from their midfield, or had their output spread amongst several players. While we don't necessarily need to copy that, it is probably worth considering as teams have risen and fallen when one or two players are frozen out. I think DeRo and Bradley could be interesting to watch as Bradley at one point at Heerenveen was scoring at a 1 in 2 clip. IMO Dike would offer more dimension, but either way, if DeRo/Bradley/Osorio are able to create from distance it should unlock Defoe and Gilberto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. Very refreshing to hear someone actually know about the sports he's managing.
    The man is putting his neck out on the line for the bold moves that were made today. I love listening in on his interviews. Tim L. is a winner, and wants to win in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If Dike really does leave on loan, we might be sorry we didn't do this

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...l-striker-rob-
    He's returning to California for family reasons, TFC was likely not a consideration. He met his Cali-native wife while at college.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    I guess that's what I'm asking - can we legitimately buy out his contract to get away from the transfer fee hit to the cap, then resign him to a new deal where only the wages count against the cap?

My money is a renegotiated deal with Laba. Much like DeRo made a lot of money playing on a non DP contract while he was here and in NY.
    Last edited by Pookie; 01-13-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were both JPA and Rafa on the books while DeRo was at NY?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His transfer fee is part of the cap under League rules or it can be circumvented with the DP position.

It can not be renegotiated nor ignored.

(The thread about this explains it all)

I'm betting loan for two years with a new contract following.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-13-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Were both JPA and Rafa on the books while DeRo was at NY?
    Pretty sure Angel was picked up in re-entry by LA - so I would think no? Are you thinking Henry?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    He's returning to California for family reasons, TFC was likely not a consideration. He met his Cali-native wife while at college.
    Interesting. Good to know.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Pretty sure Angel was picked up in re-entry by LA - so I would think no? Are you thinking Henry?
    In 2011 Angel was in LA with Donovan and Beckham (and Gonzales now a DP). Keane came later that year and Angel went to Chivas.

Dwayne went to NY in April after Angel left. He was there with Henry and Marquez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    His transfer fee is part of the cap under League rules or it can be circumvented with the DP position.

It can not be renegotiated nor ignored.

(The thread about this explains it all)

I'm betting loan for two years with a new contract following.
    Tim L. basically said as much in the radio interview posted above. I don't recall it verbatim but it was sounding like they'd prefer loan over sale/trade.

edit: listened again, it was "We have two or three players, including Laba, we can move in a loan deal or a sale deal, that are going to get us some chips" at around 10:20 mark
    Last edited by Couchy81; 01-13-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here watch the Jay and Dan podcast? I just made the #nut sound #Eyooooooouuuuu
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bd5AG1qCIAAnDCW.jpg

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was there any news on the tottenham friendly?
    date?
    SSH Free?
    etc?
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Was there any news on the tottenham friendly?
    date?
    SSH Free?
    etc?
    Not sure if the date has been announced. I doubt it's free to SSH's... they need to make back some money after this spending spree. There are threads on the topic of friendlies, so keep checking in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

July 23rd:
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/tottenh...onth-1.1632967

Definitely won't be free to SSH. But that's okay. Club just spent $100 mil on new players for us lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba wants to stay, that much is clear. He even retweeted a tweet sent to him that basically said as much. I'd love to keep him but if we can't, we could add some real pieces to this team through a trade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Laba wants to stay, that much is clear. He even retweeted a tweet sent to him that basically said as much. I'd love to keep him but if we can't, we could add some real pieces to this team through a trade.
    The question is what is Matia Laba's worth.

There is a league wide transfer fee pot that is available to everyone (the one that Kevin Payne broke existence of) and it is possible that Matias Laba's fee came out of that. In that case, Laba would be easier to trade, because if TFC paid for Laba's fee, then TFC would want something worth around 1.5 mil in exchange (rumoured fee).

Laba himself is worth a starter, plus something else. This is only due to him playing half a season in MLS. If he proves himself again for a full season, he's worth in MLS would skyrocket. A lot of people in MLS are starting to see just how good Laba is.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    They have a lot of players that we could use, at almost any posission. They sold Lamela and Marqhuinos and Osvaldo, because they had the players to replace them. They have the potential to be the next big team, so there is a lot of benefit from working with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    great day to be a TFC Supporter!!......as far as the Roma deal goes.....I can't see Roma sending many players our way....I see it more as TFC sending the young guys over to Italy for extra training/tactical knowledge.....

I wish we could send every TFC mid and defender to Roma for a summer training stint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marco Borrielo would be a great CF to play with Gilberto and Defoe, he is Roma property can still score, but behind Destro, Totti and at one point Osvaldo, he has played very little. He is pretty bit, pretty strong, very good finisher good passer, can distribute the ball. He is just a notch bellow a world class player, like a 4 star as opposed to a 5 star player, he is looking to move, a move to an MLS, would be good, ON loan from Roma. No DP stuff.
    Last edited by trane; 01-13-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Laba himself is worth a starter, plus something else.
    In a normal market. Not when your hand has been forced.

TFC are going to want/need to get allocation back. Plus they desperately need quality domestics.

I suspect we will see something less than a proven starter coming back. Someone like Luis Silva.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Borrielo was the CF at Milan before Ibra came in, I think in the last year he scored somewere between 10-15 goals, so he has it.