Page 133 of 215 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    I'd say in Bez we trust on this one. Let's see what this guy can do..
    Agreed.
    I'm still holding out hope that Bez can work some MLS Magic and somehow hang on to Laba as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A perfect trade for us right now for us? AJ DeLaGarza.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ this is my problem, generaly I prefer the bird in hand. In this case the bird I know something about, but Gilberto is a complete unknown to me, other then what I can gather on the internet including PES and FIFA stats, which is clearly not enough.
    But seeing that our FO isn't full of boobs now I will safely say that they have seen more of Gilberto than what FIFA stats and the interwebs say.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Gilberto's weight is listed at 5'10" and 154lb on the website. That doesn't sound like a "mix it up" sized forward in MLS.
    In fairness, I know people who are about that size who are incredibly strong and tough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    In fairness, I know people who are about that size who are incredibly strong and tough.
    Tim Cahill comes to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I would love to keep Laba, I have this dreaded feeling there will be no room.

Shot in the dark: we’ll strike a deal with FCD (because half of TFC’s trades are with FCD) for a FB, CB, or something in the midfield + allocation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    He's shit without Omar. Pass.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Indeed, but if they are jockeying with someone of equal height and athleticism who also has an extra 50lb of (what is mostly) muscle on them, chances are the bigger guy's going to get to stand where he wants over the smaller. Still, footballers are not all about size and strength.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be more inclined to hit DC up for Sean Franklin plus their first round, first pick, to take Christian Dean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC should trade some of the pics they have acquired and get more allocation to keep laba this player needs to stay if Bradley gets hurt then what bring back terry dunfield he needs to stay period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got e-mail from TFC inviting me to Real Sports Bar for an exclusive Toronto FC supporter event on Monday at 3 PM. Is this for the Defoe press conference or is the press conference being held elsewhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendrith View Post
    Just got e-mail from TFC inviting me to Real Sports Bar for an exclusive Toronto FC supporter event on Monday at 3 PM. Is this for the Defoe press conference or is the press conference being held elsewhere?
    press conference is at 11... this is different.

3-5 is probably an introduction to the supporters with photo opportunities etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    TFC should trade some of the pics they have acquired and get more allocation to keep laba this player needs to stay if Bradley gets hurt then what bring back terry dunfield he needs to stay period
    Hmmm, considering the large TV deal they're going to sign with FoxSports, the salary cap is probably going to go up enough after completion of the 2015 collective bargaining that TFC will be able to afford Laba's salary and not be a DP. Why trade him? I get the feeling that part of his 2014 salary is going to get covered by allocation and in 2015 his salary will still be under the cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Hmmm, considering the large TV deal they're going to sign with FoxSports, the salary cap is probably going to go up enough after completion of the 2015 collective bargaining that TFC will be able to afford Laba's salary and not be a DP. Why trade him? I get the feeling that part of his 2014 salary is going to get covered by allocation and in 2015 his salary will still be under the cap.
    Here's hoping that's the case keeping my fingers crossed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's hoping that's the case keeping my fingers crossed
    It wouldn't matter under MLS transfer regs because his cap hit has to include a portion of the value of his transfer, so he'd be over the max. He has to be a DP for at least one more season. But we COULD loan him out instead of trading him; a ton of teams in South America would gladly borrow him for a season, as would a few Mexican sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is such a thing as a loan fee, something to think about.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There is such a thing as a loan fee, something to think about.
    yes. any loan fee is treated like a transfer fee. league gets 1/3, TFC gets 2/3 in allocation cash up to 650k
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    yes. any loan fee is treated like a transfer fee. league gets 1/3, TFC gets 2/3 in allocation cash up to 650k
    So maybe the loan of Defoe back to Spurs will cover that of laba's fee. Or MLS can help out someone other than LA or NY and make it happen! I trust Bez knows what he is doing being MLS cap guru.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ideal situation would be that Laba gets loaned with a modest fee attached, then when he returns we use that money to pay down his cap hit.(If we cant keep him now that is)

We wont be compensated for Defoe going back to Spurs, I don't see them paying anything, you could make a case if he went to another PL team though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe that's what the six month loan of Dike was rumoured to be? Receive enough of a fee from Celtic over 6 months to allocate to Laba's contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a strong feeling that MLS head office is either going to change up some kind of rule or magically have enough allocation money for us so that either way we will be able to keep Laba. If not, I'd rather not loan him out. Instead, trade him for 2 proven MLS players, preferably a RB and a solid CM who can start next to Bradley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does loaning out Laba for a year accomplish? Defoe and Gilberto are on long term deals.

It only makes sense if Bradley really is a rental. Even though I suggested that possibility, I have a hard time believing it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So maybe the loan of Defoe back to Spurs will cover that of laba's fee. Or MLS can help out someone other than LA or NY and make it happen! I trust Bez knows what he is doing being MLS cap guru.
    You know, that could work.

It would all just be on paper anyway.

Say that TFC gets $1m from Spurs (in credit) and TFC magically gets an additional $650k from the league in allocation.

Not exactly ethical but our president is a lawyer so...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes,
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    What does loaning out Laba for a year accomplish? Defoe and Gilberto are on long term deals.

It only makes sense if Bradley really is a rental. Even though I suggested that possibility, I have a hard time believing it.
    Laba is a DP because of his transfer fee. If he is still here in 2016,he won't be a DP. His wage is 200K. I've been told the cap hit if he was a non DP would be about 350K more per season. We can pay that down with allocation but 700K of allocation is quite a chunk.

So, the theory is we loan for one year. Then, we either eat 350K of allocation or maybe the new CBA adds a wrinkle we can use.

Personally, I think Laba is going to be a beast DM at age 24 in 2016. He's worth waiting for.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-10-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, that could work.

It would all just be on paper anyway.

Say that TFC gets $1m from Spurs (in credit) and TFC magically gets an additional $650k from the league in allocation.

Not exactly ethical but our president is a lawyer so...
    To hell with ethics. We've been handcuffed by the league for years and watched other teams dance around the rules.
    I say use every trick in the book to build us into a strong team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

As I understood it, we loan Laba for a year, ending his DP contract, and then re-sign him as a non-DP (with a sizable salary nonetheless).

This only works if Laba currently isn't being paid above $368 750 a year. I know the union shows his salary at 200k but I didn't think that was accurate because of MLS silliness...

edit: This is also assuming Laba was signed to a two-year contract. I thought that was the case but I may be wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC are technically not loaning Defoe back to Spurs. It's just a delayed transfer happening on Feb 28th. Tottenham aren't going to pay TFC to keep their own player for two months longer.

It sucks seeing Laba go, he was the player I was most looking forward to seeing this year. But if this is the price of Bradley then so be it. The goal now should be to maximize the return for Laba. Hopefully we can get back another starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never liked the idea of a transfer fee being applied to a cap hit(I guess only for non-marque players it doesn't apply), its especially mind boggling when a team brings in a young player like Laba with real good potential to help move the league forward. It seems there is punishment where there absolutely shouldn't be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAG selling?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    TFC are technically not loaning Defoe back to Spurs. It's just a delayed transfer happening on Feb 28th. Tottenham aren't going to pay TFC to keep their own player for two months longer.
    if we paid $10M for Defoe, in a perfect world, we should have paid $11M for him and loaned him back for 2 months at $1M loan fee; that'd get TFC 650k in allocation