Page 9 of 215 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...um, some confirmation of my report yesterday.

http://tinyurl.com/l9324n6

Says Gilardino has accepted a $6 million move to, well, Torino.

I suspect it's a case of broken telephone, since $6 million was Toronto's offer. In either case, it looks like Gilardino has agreed to move to a TFC!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

I suspect it's a case of broken telephone, since $6 million was Toronto's offer. In either case, it looks like Gilardino has agreed to move to a TFC!
    Is that extra "a" in there to make it read like an Italian accent? If yes, then well played. LAUL

Realizing, just now, that it meant to one or the other. hah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilardino and Defoe would be an interesting and probably really effective pairing. Gilardino the target man and Defoe with his ability to drop deep and collect balls, good passing and good shooter from outside the box. They're very complementary players. I could see Nelsen going back to a 4-4-1-1 with them in the line up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confused...
    wasnt the offer 7.4million transfer fee, then like 8.8 or something for 3 years? Where do the 6 come from? Is that the transfer fee? If it is, why is Gilardino the one accepting the transfer fee?
    Im so lost...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was just the way it was written. Toronto reportedly made a $6 million offer to Genoa for Gilardino, which Gilardino accepted (for Torino, according to that site, but I believe that to be a mistake). They're saying Gilardino has accepted a $6 million offer, not that he is taking a $6 million salary.

Just like Gareth Bale, who accepted a $100 million + offer, doesn't mean he's being paid $100 million +.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was just the way it was written. Toronto reportedly made a $6 million offer to Genoa for Gilardino, which Gilardino accepted (for Torino, according to that site, but I believe that to be a mistake). They're saying Gilardino has accepted a $6 million offer, not that he is taking a $6 million salary.

Just like Gareth Bale, who accepted a $100 million + offer, doesn't mean he's being paid $100 million +.
    No I get that, but Gila isn't the one that should be accepting or rejecting the transfer fee - it's suppose to be Genoa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@MLSTransfers: New Article: Toronto FC targeted #Drogba #TFC #MLS http://t.co/KBj2eurffp

Maybe this is why drizzy is helping us with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never a dull moment during the off season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Never a dull moment during the off season...
    Seems to be as many TFC transfer rumours as shocking new allegations about our Mayor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Nothing apparent about a blogspot page with no named sources claiming something.

Here, watch this:

Sources are claiming MLS club Toronto FC has offered Portugese giants Porto $7.5 million for Colombian Striker Jackson Martinez.

Or

Brazilian midfielder Robinho could be on the move after several sources suggested MLS side Toronto FC has offered the player a $3.5 million per year deal.

I was a journalist for 23 years. THESE REPORTS ARE ALL FULL OF SHIT.

Real journalists with real sources tend to work for people, or be well known from repeatedly breaking things due to their sources. None of these reports are coming from reputable sources and even the ones that have been REPEATED by reputable sources are, for the most part, simply repeating an initial story that could have been complete and total bullshit.

If the following people, in soccer, say it's true, you know it's probably true (and even they report "rumors" these days, so learn to differentiate):
    Grant Wahl
    Steven Goff
    Neil Davidson
    John Molinaro
    Shawn Mitchell (except he doesn't cover soccer anymore for the Columbus Dispatch, so give that one up)

THAT'S IT. (Edit: probably unfair to some local beat guys in the States, but for TFC purposes ... )

These are the only soccer reporters that generally meet the criteria for proper sourcing, for breadth of coverage and for knowledge of how to do the job. Ives Galarcep used to be on that list but its been years now since he spent much time digging stuff up and working for papers.

If those five names are reporting it as true, it's true.

If anyone else is reporting what "they've heard," it may actually have some truth or a grain of truth behind it, but they don't have the balls to stand by their sources, because they don't have certainty. If your sources aren't both personal and reliable enough to stand behind with a certain statement, they're not reliable sources. I include any number of bloggers and sports website reporters in that list; none of them would be able to get a job were journalistic standards of basic reliability still strictly followed. NONE of them. And I know, because I hired journalists for a decade.

The same is true of reports sourced in Europe, where there ARE still good reporters, but it's hard to pick their legitimate stuff out from their junk, due to the need to report "scoops" constantly there or get canned.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Bingo ^^^^

Its off season and agents and papers fill their papers with something
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of those rumours could be true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    ^^^Bingo ^^^^

Its off season and agents and papers fill their papers with something
    People do underestimate how much of this crap is either a) panicky reporter with no real sources, skill to develop them or stories to report, or b) agent trying to bump his client's open market profile and value. The latter is particularly important; Diego Forlan was NEVER going to come to TFC. But his people did not make that clear for as long as possible for the very reason that a) it makes him sound affordable to the rest of the football world if he might come to MLS and b) it allows them to float any figure they want publicly as a starting point for other clubs that might come in, letting them control the dollar escalation.

Any time you hear this much speculation about what a team is up to (especially a bad team like ours) you can bet most of it is crap. Does anyone see scads of phony transfer stories in other MLS cities? Nope. Rarely happens at all. They're fans aren't desperate enough to accept anything, story wise. They still demand some accuracy, where we help perpetuate poor reporting by treating it as if it might have validity.

The only sensible response to unsources, famous player, multi-million "leaks" about TFC is to say "I'll believe it when I see the player in Toronto wearing the shirt."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    You are both funny and evil.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    People do underestimate how much of this crap is either a) panicky reporter with no real sources, skill to develop them or stories to report, or b) agent trying to bump his client's open market profile and value. The latter is particularly important; Diego Forlan was NEVER going to come to TFC. But his people did not make that clear for as long as possible for the very reason that a) it makes him sound affordable to the rest of the football world if he might come to MLS and b) it allows them to float any figure they want publicly as a starting point for other clubs that might come in, letting them control the dollar escalation.

Any time you hear this much speculation about what a team is up to (especially a bad team like ours) you can bet most of it is crap. Does anyone see scads of phony transfer stories in other MLS cities? Nope. Rarely happens at all. They're fans aren't desperate enough to accept anything, story wise. They still demand some accuracy, where we help perpetuate poor reporting by treating it as if it might have validity.

The only sensible response to unsources, famous player, multi-million "leaks" about TFC is to say "I'll believe it when I see the player in Toronto wearing the shirt."
    You'd be surprised.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Real journalists with real sources tend to work for people, or be well known from repeatedly breaking things due to their sources. None of these reports are coming from reputable sources and even the ones that have been REPEATED by reputable sources are, for the most part, simply repeating an initial story that could have been complete and total bullshit.

If the following people, in soccer, say it's true, you know it's probably true (and even they report "rumors" these days, so learn to differentiate):
    Grant Wahl
    Steven Goff
    Neil Davidson
    John Molinaro
    Shawn Mitchell (except he doesn't cover soccer anymore for the Columbus Dispatch, so give that one up)

THAT'S IT. (Edit: probably unfair to some local beat guys in the States, but for TFC purposes ... )

These are the only soccer reporters that generally meet the criteria for proper sourcing, for breadth of coverage and for knowledge of how to do the job. Ives Galarcep used to be on that list but its been years now since he spent much time digging stuff up and working for papers.

If those five names are reporting it as true, it's true.

If anyone else is reporting what "they've heard," it may actually have some truth or a grain of truth behind it, but they don't have the balls to stand by their sources, because they don't have certainty. If your sources aren't both personal and reliable enough to stand behind with a certain statement, they're not reliable sources. I include any number of bloggers and sports website reporters in that list; none of them would be able to get a job were journalistic standards of basic reliability still strictly followed. NONE of them. And I know, because I hired journalists for a decade.

The same is true of reports sourced in Europe, where there ARE still good reporters, but it's hard to pick their legitimate stuff out from their junk, due to the need to report "scoops" constantly there or get canned.
    I don't know if this was meant to be a dig at me or at MLS transfers.

In either case, I haven't run a story, just tweets based on things I've heard, and when I hear something from a source I trust, like Gianluca Di Marzio, I run my story.

I get that TFC makes things difficult to believe because of the plethora of transfer rumours and whatnot. All I can say is that I'm trying to do my best to pick out what I believe to be nuggets of truth in what is a cloudy world of Toronto FC transfers.

As for this particular story, it's the same source I used when confirming that Nesta would be heading to Montreal and not Toronto as many reporters had done, so I trust them to a certain extent.

Finally, in terms of finding work, well, what can I say. I'm a student of Ryerson's journalism program looking to graduate and get working. If you wouldn't hire me, that's fair, but I expect a beer or two when I show you exactly what I can do and prove to you otherwise!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was a reference to the Drogba story, not Gilardino.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this was meant to be a dig at me or at MLS transfers.

In either case, I haven't run a story, just tweets based on things I've heard, and when I hear something from a source I trust, like Gianluca Di Marzio, I run my story.

I get that TFC makes things difficult to believe because of the plethora of transfer rumours and whatnot. All I can say is that I'm trying to do my best to pick out what I believe to be nuggets of truth in what is a cloudy world of Toronto FC transfers.

As for this particular story, it's the same source I used when confirming that Nesta would be heading to Montreal and not Toronto as many reporters had done, so I trust them to a certain extent.

Finally, in terms of finding work, well, what can I say. I'm a student of Ryerson's journalism program looking to graduate and get working. If you wouldn't hire me, that's fair, but I expect a beer or two when I show you exactly what I can do and prove to you otherwise!
    You're a good man and one of the best TFC sources. Keep at it, a lot of people appreciate your work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jloome - I don't disagree or question any of what you said - but this thread is open to rumors....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    You're a good man and one of the best TFC sources. Keep at it, a lot of people appreciate your work.
    this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Agreed!

As long as you continue to make the distinction between what are just rumours/whispers/nuggets you hear and are passing along to us, and what are actual sourced reports...
    (which, to clarify, I think you have done up to now)

I'll take any and all little bits of insight into TFC I can get!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add Amauri to the list of strikers linked with a move to TFC. Not sure what I think of this though, seems a little old. http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/s...-to-mls-110513

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regards to that MLSTransfers twitter account. He, I presume it's a he, was the first place/source to mention Diego Forlan to TFC. I only remember this because Waking The Red guys ripped him to bits for it but Larson was tweeting him saying he sent him a DM.

About a week later the Globe story came out.

The guy could have been picking names out of the sky but it's worth noting.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 11-05-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regards to Armen... I generally believe what he is reporting but I also know that he may be a little early with the reports because he is a student. As a student still he hasn't built up enough followers or a big enough reputation that being wrong will adversely effect him the same way it would be to the main stream guys. On the other hand if he breaks a story it could be huge for him getting into the main stream once he is done school high reward/limited risk for him to report something off of 1 source compared to others.

Anyway keep it coming Armen glad to see we have a good journalist coming through the ranks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    leiweke + mlse$$ = any rumour could be true!

the guy brought beckham to mls, anything is possible.

making multiple offers to multiple players is a good idea, this will get agents pushing our offers so they dont lose the deal to the next guy.

only 2 striker spots available to a wealth of strikers overseas.

economics are on our side!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evermorian View Post
    Add Amauri to the list of strikers linked with a move to TFC. Not sure what I think of this though, seems a little old. http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/s...-to-mls-110513
    Younger than Drogba lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I guess they can blame Ford now if these fall through.

Selling Toronto might be easier if the man the people elected wasn't admitting his prior crack use, and demonstrating his obliviousness to the issue.

The whole Torino thing, I don't know, what if they realized that they could afford his wages and made a similar offer?
    I saw something that we were giving him a raise, what if he got it and doesn't have to move now?
    Could explain why we have a new name on the radar.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    Well, I guess they can blame Ford now if these fall through.

Selling Toronto might be easier if the man the people elected wasn't admitting his prior crack use, and demonstrating his obliviousness to the issue.

The whole Torino thing, I don't know, what if they realized that they could afford his wages and made a similar offer?
    I saw something that we were giving him a raise, what if he got it and doesn't have to move now?
    Could explain why we have a new name on the radar.
    They lived under Berlusconi. Crack is a minor offence compared to what Berlusconi would get up to every week!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They lived under Berlusconi. Crack is a minor offence compared to what Berlusconi would get up to every week!
    Yeah, I hear those BungaBunga parties would make the worst thing Rob Ford did look like an elderly afternoon Bridge Party.