Page 26 of 215 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Point me to anything in the past 2 years that Rollins said which had any accuracy
    Rollins was the one who broke the news about the power struggle at TFC between the 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 camps, right before the start of the disasterous 2012 season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from day 1,the PR on this club has been brutal,where is our new GM and who is our PR guy??
    instead we try to find out timbits from twitter and bloggers,if GILA rejected a contract jus put it out ther.gezzzz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Fans want/have to believe, but players/agents don't.

I think any agent, if he/she spends 6 hours on this question, will inevitably come to the conclusion that it's bad here, ain't fixed, and is showing no signs of improvement.

No need to finger anyone. It's the right analytical conclusion.
    Yeah, it's hard to believe he would need local informants to tell him the blindingly obvious.

Even if it's true, not bad advice really. I couldn't argue with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I agree with your point that TFC has done a piss poor job building relationship with soccer community, but do you seriously think Toronto's soccer community is influence enough to scare professional soccer players away from TFC?
    The soccer community as a whole, probably not. Individuals within that community that are well connected (friends, family members, business associates) to players/agents/clubs that could have a direct influence? Without a shadow of a doubt. There are a good deal of folks in the city that are well connected to the game and players in the game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    What DP has had his career derailed by TFC? de Guzman you could argue but i dont see it for the rest of the DPs we've had.
    JDG derailed his own career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The soccer community as a whole, probably not. Individuals within that community that are well connected (friends, family members, business associates) to players/agents/clubs that could have a direct influence? Without a shadow of a doubt. There are a good deal of folks in the city that are well connected to the game and players in the game.
    DeVos was a big part of Oakville Soccer Club... He does seem to have had a lot to say about the sad state of TFC in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure that many prospective DPs really care that much about what TFC has done in the past. I'm not even sure they'd spend much time looking into it. I would suspect that unless it's a "Young DP" like Laba or someone who might possibly continue his career in a top-ish league after TFC, that they care about little more than the money and the city in which they're going to live. It would seem we're prepared to match the money any of these guys could make in Europe, so that's not the issue. Toronto can't compete with LA/NY/Miami for standard of living, glamour etc, but we have way more to offer than any other MLS city and most know it (with the exception of Vancouver if they're into the great outdoors). If a player has a young family, Toronto may even trump some of those cities as we have excellent education, healthcare and less crime. Considering that DP-worthy players have chosen to live in Shanghai, Doha and Dagestan to name but a few, I'm pretty confident that money is number one in most cases, location a fairly distant second (with the above exceptions) with club record an even further distant third. Besides, you have to look at TFC properly. We have new ownership, a new president and a coach preparing for his first full season. From any prospective player's perspective, you have to take what happened in previous seasons with a grain of salt...and a huge sack of cash!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's really unproductive to try to figure out who the rat is. Let's not go down that road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have an opinion either way on the accuracy of Rollins story, but it's not that far fetched IMHO. I do not see some grand conspiracy from the local soccer community to sabotage TFC. I also don't see the notion of someone in the GTA that is in the know talking to someone in his camp and scaring him away.

There is a lot of negative info about us out there, and it's pretty obvious in two minutes that we are bad. However, there is also a lot of stuff out there right now to counter that - new owners with deep pockets, and gutting of the exec that oversaw the past, replaced with TL - an exec with a track record that took a struggling LA side and turned them into a powerhouse (yes, I know that wasn't really him, but that's beside the point - an outsider looking in would not see that). Lots of stories about pursuits of big name players and deep budgets (which, it is quite possible TL leaked to influence overseas players).

It's not hard to imagine that a phone call to a friend or family member that is more in the know about all the other stuff played a role...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    DeVos was a big part of Oakville Soccer Club... He does seem to have had a lot to say about the sad state of TFC in the past.
    I'm not sure how well connected De Vos would be to any potential DP. Can't think of many players who were at Darlington, Dundee United, Wigan and Ipswich 5-17 years ago that we would be pursuing now. There's always the "knows someone who knows someone" six-degrees-of-separation thing that he might well know someone who knows someone, but does that extend to convincing them not to come here if a big sack of money is being waved in their faces? Besides, any current potential DP is more likely to consult with someone who is playing now...like Henry, Cahill, Keane, Dempsey, Di Vaio, Nesta even Caldwell...to find out what the league is like TODAY, not someone who never even played in the MLS. And if quizzed on TFC specifically I think most of those guys would likely say we have a nice stadium and decent support that's waning because we've struggled and that Toronto is a nice city.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Rollins was the one who broke the news about the power struggle at TFC between the 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 camps, right before the start of the disasterous 2012 season.
    "Broke news" about a power struggle at TFC? Lol...
    i would go to ensco for credible information before Rollins. He, at least, predicted Payne getting fired a week before it happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    from day 1,the PR on this club has been brutal,where is our new GM and who is our PR guy??
    instead we try to find out timbits from twitter and bloggers,if GILA rejected a contract jus put it out ther.gezzzz.
    You don't seriously think anyone at TFC is going to publicly comment on any specific ongoing negotiations, do you? That would be absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    You don't seriously think anyone at TFC is going to publicly comment on any specific ongoing negotiations, do you? That would be absurd.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop making sense!

As far as TFC and player / community relationships. The image of the club in the sports community is total crap. The constant loosing has laid the foundation, it would seem Earl and the others put thei icing on the cake. Anyone with a pulse would probably advise a player to not come here based on the toxic nature that is our team. The new guys are trying to change that, its on them to fix it.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God it's been depressing reading over the last 24hrs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    God it's been depressing reading over the last 24hrs.
    Only the last 24 hours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    there are a lot of players on Seattle that used to be untouchable are now available, due to cap situation. kinda like what RSL went through last off season. pretty much only untouchables are Alonso, Dempsey, Martins and Yedlin. maybe Evans. Everyone else is there for taking, for the right price. If TFC is looking to add immediate quality, either Hurtado or Traore at CB.
    Brad Evans isn't available? I remember in the summer we were all talking about Eddie Johnson & Brad Evans becoming available in the off season. Would be a great dou with chemistry already coming in, would help them settle, and produce immediately. Also Brad Evans can partner Laba or help us at rightback where we might have a problem next season though I believe in Richter/Bloom

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Brad Evans isn't available? I remember in the summer we were all talking about Eddie Johnson & Brad Evans becoming available in the off season. Would be a great dou with chemistry already coming in, would help them settle, and produce immediately. Also Brad Evans can partner Laba or help us at rightback where we might have a problem next season though I believe in Richter/Bloom
    Evans is the perfect utility midfielder. Good enough to play multiple position well. Makes about 175k which is good value for what he brings to the team. Seattle would be stupid to give up Evans.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, but I would like to believe that the issue regarding Gilardino has more to do with the timing of the potential move as opposed to TFC management's efforts to improve our squad being deliberately sabotaged by prominent members of the Italian community in our city.

Everyone in the global soccer community is well aware of the track record of Toronto FC as a franchise since 2007. If a marquee player was deterred by the tarnished image of our club, it stands to reason that he wouldn't even bother entering negotiations with TFC management in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    So Duane Rollins posts some garbage to stir shit up and you guys are actually discussing it? Point me to anything in the past 2 years that Rollins said which had any accuracy - until then, he's just another good with a twitter account. Kinda sorta like what I did yesterday with the major announcement thing.
    Most recent: http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...ane-Onstad-out

The archives are there for you to search. I dare you to post links to all these stories I supposedly made up. Off the top of my head I can think of about 6-7 major stories I was the first to report on. That's why people talk about what I write. I don't have a clue why you feel the need to attack my credibility without offering any evidence to back up your opinion.

Its not hard to find me at the stadium. Funny, no one chirps me in person. Just when behind their keyboard. Odd that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^throwing 100 things up against the wall hoping 5 will stick...congrats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What bothers me about this report from Duane is the following:

Who is doing the talking and what do they have to do with the soccer community?

The problem the way I see it is none of these so called leaders in the soccer community have done anything relevant or useful to develop talent or influence the LTPD in this city. Bottom line is these people line their pockets on kids participating in the sport and nothing else. They are parasites of the game and all they want to do is win a shiny trophy to attract more kids which equals more money in their pockets. They don't care about development it is all about winning for them. Hence why we as a country can not develop a half decent national team.

People can say what they want about TFC, but the academy and their facilities are second to none. The best kids in Ontario should all be there. They will get the best coaching and proper development, are all the kids going to be superstars, of course not but I rather have them at the academy and not at any of the local clubs.

I know this a bit outside of the topic but I have to get it off my chest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    ^throwing 100 things up against the wall hoping 5 will stick...congrats
    OK, link the supposed 100 things then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post
    Most recent: http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...ane-Onstad-out

The archives are there for you to search. I dare you to post links to all these stories I supposedly made up. Off the top of my head I can think of about 6-7 major stories I was the first to report on. That's why people talk about what I write. I don't have a clue why you feel the need to attack my credibility without offering any evidence to back up your opinion.

Its not hard to find me at the stadium. Funny, no one chirps me in person. Just when behind their keyboard. Odd that.
    you may remember me, from "in person", asking you why you're too good to wear a TFC scarf to a game? You were with your lady...
    I don't claim to be connected to sources that know inner workings of TFC locally and internationally, but if I were to make 5-6 random comments a day with unnamed sources, there would be at least a few times that I could connect imaginary dots to show that I knew what I'm talking about.

And bs it's not just me doubting and questioning your credibility brother. open your eyes.
    Last edited by Ivy; 11-13-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Evans is out of contract, but Seattle has come out and said they are determined to hold onto him...Johnson has an option left but is determined to make more money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't say that they should,im saying if they offered a contract to GILA and he rejected it,put it out ther and move on..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are slightly more important things to do at the stadium then correct something on the internet.

And, getting chirped at from a keyboard is your lot in life for doing a blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I didn't say that they should,im saying if they offered a contract to GILA and he rejected it,put it out ther and move on..
    That would be an excellent way to burn bridges with the player and his associates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on, this kind of thing does nothing to further your cause. No point of running around striking back at every guy behind a keyboard who wants to troll your writing.