Page 16 of 215 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
    The 2 dp budget has been substantially revised. It's not unlimited but it's higher than any figure I've seen quoted here. Enough to get Defoe and gilardino of they can be convinced to come.

They also have enough allocation for "3-4 quality mls vets".
    40 million ish?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    As someone once said on this forum: I'll believe it when I see it, or when the Toronto Star reports having seen a video of it.
    That's gold!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    guys like luca toni and amauri would score lots of goals in mls...as long as they get service, their finishin ability is awesome. Hope they look for a midfielder to join the strikers they want
    very funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    very funny
    do u watch serie a at all? for their age they do extremely well, better than any striker currently in mls and thats pretty sad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No thanks. Both are very much on the downward slope of their careers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    40 million ish?
    Well higher. The team is committed to losing money on TFC for the next several years in order to "rebuild the brand". Surprising, but encouraging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 2 dp budget has been substantially revised. It's not unlimited but it's higher than any figure I've seen quoted here. Enough to get Defoe and gilardino of they can be convinced to come.

They also have enough allocation for "3-4 quality mls vets".

If only their was an MLS vet who has won everything their is to win in this league including U.S. open cup, supporters shield, mls championships, mvp, canadian championship and who is from Scarborough who happened to have recently been released from his current club.... that might be a good vet to bring into the fold with two attacking DP's... if only.

EDIT: I forgot the Golden Boot award that he also won.
    Last edited by Alonso; 11-09-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Golden Boot bitches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    If only their was an MLS vet who has won everything their is to win in this league including U.S. open cup, supporters shield, mls championships, mvp, canadian championship and who is from Scarborough who happened to have recently been released from his current club.... that might be a good vet to bring into the fold with two attacking DP's... if only.
    I dunno, hasn't he burned his bridge with this team? What if he performs well, better than the dp's and then demands better compensation for his services. Deja vu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a DeRo thread dude; I imagine keeping it there will help prevent flareups of some of the nastiness that debate has caused on this board.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well higher. The team is committed to losing money on TFC for the next several years in order to "rebuild the brand". Surprising, but encouraging.
    Good to hear. Got to credit Leiweke for that. How many CEOs would've put so much effort into TFC? I'm glad we have a boss who understands MLS and is committed to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There's a DeRo thread dude; I imagine keeping it there will help prevent flareups of some of the nastiness that debate has caused on this board.

I feel it's an idea that I should help propagate by slyly (or perhaps not in this case) scattering the seed every where.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    I dunno, hasn't he burned his bridge with this team? What if he performs well, better than the dp's and then demands better compensation for his services. Deja vu

I've heard of worse things... In this scenario we'd likely BOSS this league.

A little drama can be good. Just not the amount that we've had to endure following this team over the last 7 years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel it's an idea that I should help propagate by slyly (or perhaps not in this case) scattering the seed every where.
    I realise you are being facetious but one of the reasons I didn't move from lurker to posting on this site back then was the toxic nature of the discussion. If we could keep it in one spot, that would help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IDK, if anyone has noticed that when the team is presented for the anthems, TFC players are standing there looking like they dont wanna be there. The disinterested look on their faces just says, whats the point of wearing the maple leaf and hearing the Canadian anthem if it doesnt have any meaning to them.

I know that the Canadian players might feel the same way playing for an American team, but this team in particular has that sentiment that its not as important to play hard on the Canadian team as playing for any other team in MLS.

I bring this nationalism debate because we did have better success on the field when we had Jim Brennan as Captain of this Canadian team. This team desperately needs a loyal Canadian player for a leader and captain. Today, Simeon Jackson was brought on in the 90th Minute and Marcel DeJong didnt even make it on the field today. They would be better suited to playing for TFC in a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2. Simeon Jackson would be great as a second striker and DeJong would be great as a left midfielder. Two key positions in MLS where if there was players available we would have someone better than Bobbey Convey.

my 2 cents.

*I hope everyone is still disappointed that they're even talking about making a "big splash", when we all know they dont even bother going beyond their comfort zone on the shoreline. Fucking pathetic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the singing of the national anthem in any club sport is outdated and instead there should only be the club anthem.

Its not out of disrespect but I feel it can be a bit too nationalistic like what we see in the US. I know certain Europeans who are just as proud as Americans or Canadians but don't see the need to sing the anthem at a sporting event, only during during national team games.

As for their disinterested look, how do you know what they are thinking about? Maybe they have moral problems from loosing? Maybe they are bored as shit going through the same routine every week. Players just want to play, not necessarily take part in a lot of hoopla.

To me origin of the captain shouldn't matter. I could care less where he is from, just have the attributes to be the captain, I don't like the idea that we must have a Canadian leadership group.

This probably needs a new thread too.
    Last edited by Richard; 11-09-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nationalism gets us nowhere. When we have a half decent team maybe then I'll care who's singing the anthem, but probably not.

You know those "domestic" players can be American, right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post

I bring this nationalism debate because we did have better success on the field when we had Jim Brennan as Captain of this Canadian team. This team desperately needs a loyal Canadian player for a leader and captain.

You don't like Caldwell as Captain based on who sings the national anthem?!?! Captainship is not about nationalism, nor should it be, ever.

Personally, I'd like to see him push the players to acknowledge the fans more after games. The Captain should be one of the first going around every game. Somebody in the Supporters Groups should have a word with him about this. But, its no reason to make somebody other then Caldwell captain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not gonna rush nationalism just because we don't have any first-team quality leaders that are Canadian doesn't mean i'm running out the door and buying mediocre level Canadians. De Rosario, Jackson, and De Jong are good players and could probably start and perform every so often in our side but why would we run out and buy mediocre level players who are Canadian and risk stunting the growth of players who could be great like Osorio, Bekker, Morgan (meh), and of course Doneil Henry.

Let's not all forget in a few years I still hope Jordan Hamilton is coming our way. He's still in our youth set up, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@GrantWahl: You can add Samuel Eto'o to the list of players Toronto FC is pursuing for 2014 http://t.co/MqtAqFnGKt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    @GrantWahl: You can add Samuel Eto'o to the list of players Toronto FC is pursuing for 2014 http://t.co/MqtAqFnGKt
    Will be 33, expensive but is still one hell of a player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post

Just for the record:

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun
    Has anyone thought of Eto'o? He's a name, Leiweke would like that. Still has quality, would be 33 if he arrived for the start of next year which isn't bad at all. WC isn't an issue - Cameroon might not qualify and if they do he's a shoo-in no matter what. Hasn't had the greatest of starts at Chelsea, they might sign a ST in January and they'll surely hold onto Lukaku next year. And we know he'll play anywhere if you pay him enough.
    Unfortunately for our prospects of getting him he's been doing a lot better recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would completely shit myself if he was signed. Interesting thing about him is that, depending on the second leg against Tunisia, he might not be in world cup and could come earlier. 0-0 going into the 2nd leg.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is also important to consider:
    Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 1h @MarcoGlasman It's also in TFC's interest for its targets to know who else is being considered. I'm not naive about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does Grant Wahl mean when he says "It's also in TFC's interest for its targets to know who else is being considered. I'm not naive about that."?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    What does Grant Wahl mean when he says "It's also in TFC's interest for its targets to know who else is being considered. I'm not naive about that."?
    They want their targeted players to know that they're not the only ones being considered, so they don't loaft on the offer and try to jack up prices.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is why Nelsen said a few weeks ago that they have around 6 targets they have been working on, some for awhile and some since recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will sound bad, and I apologize ahead of time.

I think we should have LESS Canadian players. I mean look at the national team. They have been, well to put it bluntly, a joke.

Yes we have gotten lucky with Oso, Henry, and Morgan, and to some extent Bekker. But adding in more canadians? I will pass. We can get far better within the MLS then any of the canadians playing abroad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CommradePolski View Post
    This will sound bad, and I apologize ahead of time.

I think we should have LESS Canadian players. I mean look at the national team. They have been, well to put it bluntly, a joke.

Yes we have gotten lucky with Oso, Henry, and Morgan, and to some extent Bekker. But adding in more canadians? I will pass. We can get far better within the MLS then any of the canadians playing abroad.
    I would take guys like Hutch over your average MLS player. Will Johnson is consider one of better MLS players who happens to be Canadian.

DeRo is consider one of the best MLS players ever!

Problem isn't Canadian players, problem is bad cap management, lack of direction/leadership and signing overrated international players. Domestic players aren't issue with this club (like you pointed out with 4 Canadian players we currently have with some upside to become very good MLS players down the line).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes there are some very good Canadian players, but no way should TFC focus on signing them. Why? Because that talent pool is very small, and not every player fits on every team. You could end up massively overpaying for some mediocre to good Canadian players, because their agents will use your interest in a small number of good Cdn players to jack up the price. See Julian de Guzman.

Bringing up young players through your academy is another thing, and a very good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian content moving forward should primarily come from our academy. Not saying we can't add other Canadians but they should be evaluated the same way any other acquisition is evaluated.