Page 63 of 215 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Red Bull New Jersey's salary cap issue is something we saw coming months ago. Wasn't it not too long ago that TFC named them as one of the teams that we might be able to poach from? Seattle is in the same position.
    Yeah, this is something that deserves some attention, as i'm sure Toronto will be looking at a few players that these teams can't keep in the roster; Pearce is available, and would stabalize the back line with a veteran presence; who else from Red Bulls would the team move? I think Espindola might be too expensive; not sure about Seattle. I know they re-signed Evans (who would have been a good pickup for us) but what is the status of Zakuani and Rosales? either one would would improve play on the flanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about Zakuani but Rosales, Pearce and Espindola are on high salaries that will need to be renegotiated. Whether they're willing to accept that is a separate conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Not sure about Zakuani but Rosales, Pearce and Espindola are on high salaries that will need to be renegotiated. Whether they're willing to accept that is a separate conversation.
    I think there is more room on the salary than people think. Once you wipe all the loanees off (ephraim and Bostock were both over 100k if i remember, not sure about cap hit), plus Koevs, Earnshaw and Ecks, plus allocation, that may be plenty of room to bring in 2 DP's and probably 2 significant salaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised this hasn't popped up anywhere (if it has, I haven't seen it and I apologize).

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/11...ons-12-players

Reds Exercise Options on 12 Players

Toronto FC announced Friday that it has exercised contract options on 12 players, while nine players are already under contract for the 2014 season.

Toronto FC has picked up the contract options on goalkeepers Joe Bendik, Chris Konopka, Quillan Roberts; defenders Gale Agbossoumonde, Mark Bloom, Ryan Ricther; midfielders Kyle Bekker, Reggie Lambe, Jeremy Hall; forwards Bright Dike, Emery Welshman, and Andrew Wiedeman.

The nine players already under contract for the 2014 season are: defenders Jonas Elmer, Ashtone Morgan, Doneil Henry, Richard Eckersley, and Steven Caldwell; midfielders Matias Laba, Jonathan Osorio, Manuel Aparicio, and Alvaro Rey.

Toronto FC has declined options on midfielders Bobby Convey, Darel Russell, Michael Thomas and forward Robert Earnshaw.

The three players that are now out of contract are forwards Danny Koevermans and Justin Braun along with goalkeeper Stefan Frei.

“We are writing a new story for TFC, and it begins with our current players,” said Toronto FC General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "We have not had a solid core group like this in a long time, and this core is prepared and excited about taking this Club to the next level. We will continue discussing the possibility of returning next season with those players whose options were declined.”

Toronto FC’s 2014 roster as it currently stands:

Goalkeepers (3): Joe Bendik, Chris Konopka, Quillan Roberts

Defenders (7): Steven Caldwell, Jonas Elmer, Doneil Henry, Ashtone Morgan, Gale Agbossoumonde, Mark Bloom, Ryan Richter, Richard Eckerlsey

Midfielders (7): Kyle Bekker, Matias Laba, Jonathan Osorio, Alvaro Rey, Jeremy Hall, Manny Aparicio, Reggie Lambe

Forwards (3): Bright Dike, Emery Welshman, Andrew Wiedeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It's been in this thread a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't make any sense to dump Earnshaw and then turn around and pick up Espindola on high wages. Earnshaw should have been kept as a fall back if these DPs fall through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably just trying to negotiate lower wages with Earnshaw, Russel, and Convey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Probably just trying to negotiate lower wages with Earnshaw, Russel, and Convey
    Earnshaw was on 138K base / 155k guaranteed which is pretty cheap for Earnshaw (or a backup forward for that matter). Unless there was something in that contract that was going to see it balloon up after this year (in which case re-negotiation would make sense), I think he is gone.

EDIT: Russell was on 99k/109k, also cheap for depth - I bet he is gone as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Just a reminder that he is only 22 years old... if we were able to pick a kid out of the draft (which is about the same age of player) with as much potential and speed we would be very excited.

The international spot is the kicker... if we can get him residency then i see no reason not to give him another year or two to develop.
    I have harped on the lad a time or two, not realizing his age.

I'm in total agreement with you, here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Lambe is worth keeping as a late game sub at a reasonable cost IF he doesn't take up an international slot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I agree that Lambe is worth keeping as a late game sub at a reasonable cost IF he doesn't take up an international slot.
    This is pretty much it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lambe is the first winger in the MLS to have no goals or assists for an entire season.

He he is a waste of space period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    Lambe is the first winger in the MLS to have no goals or assists for an entire season.

He's not really a starter; would be more accurate to see his production/min than his final stat sheet tally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    He's not really a starter; would be more accurate to see his production/min than his final stat sheet tally.
    Again he finished this year with 0 goals or assists and he takes up an international spot. There is no reason he should be on the team, we could find a domestic player to contribute as much as he has

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post

umm did he not assist convey's goal @ dc united?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Official stats credit him with one assist. Which is pretty bad, but not much worse than the rest of the team (sadly)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Well statistics need to be in context. His smart dummy lead to Osorio's goal in Seattle.

He still has lots of upside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Well statistics need to be in context. His smart dummy lead to Osorio's goal in Seattle.

He still has lots of upside.
    i'm pretty sure my jaw dropped on the pass he made to Convey...maybe cuz he got an assist

yep it did

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Koevermans is officially retired we should give him a nice pay cheque, a bag of balls, and let him teach a finishing class to our academy boys.
    Last edited by West220Side; 12-03-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Earnshaw was on 138K base / 155k guaranteed which is pretty cheap for Earnshaw (or a backup forward for that matter). Unless there was something in that contract that was going to see it balloon up after this year (in which case re-negotiation would make sense), I think he is gone.
    to help put that in perspective: your favourite and mine, fuad ibrahim, came at 133k and saw about a dozen starts over 3 seasons.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    to help put that in perspective: your favourite and mine, fuad ibrahim, came at 133k and saw about a dozen starts over 3 seasons.
    was on GA contract, so his salary didn't count towards the cap
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The discussion of a player's worth based on goals and assists reminds me of the trolls on Facebook who complain about Laba.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The discussion of a player's worth based on goals and assists reminds me of the trolls on Facebook who complain about Laba.
    Can't say I agree...
    its one thing to talk about goals that a defensive player produces, and a completely different thing when talking about offensive players. Strikers make their money scoring goals. Wingers SHOULD be making their money by providing assists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    With all due respect what is the point of a winger if they don't provide crosses to strikers which inturn leads to an assist if the striker scores?

Again, I have nothing against Reggie Lambe, but he is not an effective winger who takes up an international spot. He should be at best third option off the bench. Which leads me to my second point would it not be more effective of using your international spots on starters or impact subs then him? TFC could find some domestic player to fill that spot.

Also, if people on this board think that it is acceptable to have a player that played in 28 games and started 20 and had only one assist as a winger then this team is exactly where it should be.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big difference between a position that is meant to provide direct service and threat vs a position that is defensive by nature. To me, given that Lambe uses an int spot and has such low production in that position it warrants some criticism.

On the upside the guy is young and cheap but that int spot holds value.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ It's been in this thread a lot.
    That'll teach me for going on vacation for two weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Wingers SHOULD be making their money by providing assists.
    The one thing I will give him is that he didn't seem to be playing like a winger for almost the whole season (barring those few summer games when he looked good). Now whether that was him choosing to play with his back towards the opposition goal and to never dribble the ball or advance or Nelsen's would say a lot more about his play last season. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    that int spot holds value.
    I'm still learning the in's and out's of MLS roster rules, but does a DP take up an int slot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wince View Post
    I'm still learning the in's and out's of MLS roster rules, but does a DP take up an int slot?
    Yes...If the player is not a domestic player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't see anything exempting DPs from requiring available intl slot, if necessary based on player's FIFA country registration.