Page 1 of 215 123451151101 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2013-2014 Off-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc. thread

Now that the off-season is upon us, now is the time to start a new thread.

Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings get a separate single thread in the "News" section. All other "inside" and other information goes here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we have a moment of silence for the last thread? One hell of roller coaster.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, that thread might well have been the longest in RPB history. The Forlan speculation alone was about 50 pages!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8600 posts in the last thread...and some say people don't care anymore. Nuts to that.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Respect to the last one, on with the new one.

Man, lots of names floated out there already. I can't imagine they would let this out there without some hope of them actually signing a couple.

Oh yeah, Forlan...
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, Forlan...
    Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. Now let's hope the ones they do make aren't classic us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there some way to pull in Og's post #8615 from the old thread? I think that was a great analysis of where things are right now. Or probably easier, Og, could you repost that?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Is there some way to pull in Og's post #8615 from the old thread? I think that was a great analysis of where things are right now. Or probably easier, Og, could you repost that?
    Here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ok, just sat through the Nelsen video presser so a few things related to player moves and speculation.

• Whole year hamstrung by financial mess left by previous regime.
    • QPR loanees et al were attempts to find somebody who would stick.
    • 3-6 starters coming, including 2 DP's and at least 3 "battle hardened MLS players" who would start.
    • Off season about more then just the DP's.
    • Young player base important for building the future.
    • Rey is staying - he was name checked.
    • Bendik is the starter.
    • Ecks, Koevs, & Frei are all gone. End of speculation.
    • Caldwell would have changed the season if he arrived earlier.
    • He could have brought in players for short term success but didn't for the sake of long term financial stability.
    • Bloom is next years starting RB.
    • 3-5 players out on loan over the winter.
    • Specifically mentioned he is looking forward to the young guys coming back filled out a bit more.

My player speculation out of all that:

3 to 5 of Hall, Osorio, Bekker, Henry, Morgan, and Welshman going out on loan overseas. Those that don't may not be in long term team future.
    Of the 3 hardened MLS players who would start, I expect 2 midfielders and possibly a CD, to groom to be the top CD when Caldwell retires. Maybe a LB.
    I get the strong feeling Nelsen would like to have the option of a 5-4-1 and a 4-5-1 along with the 2 banks of 4.
    I don't think Osorio is considered the short term solution for AM, nor is Bekker. Long term - definately. I could see us with Bekker and Osorio in midfield in 2017, with a DM (I am assuming Laba is off to Europe by then...a good destroyer who can deal with an English language league would be worth a lot in the EPL).
    Expect an MLS experienced AM.
    At least 1 of the DP's being asked about is London based.
    Earnshaw might be asked to stick around for one more season as relief but I could see him being gone by January.
    Rey is staying.
    Convey is too.
    Lambe, I think he's gone.
    Dike is not the long term attacking solution.
    Elmer and Braun should be gone (if we are going to speculate about money on a roster player, 200K for a non starting LB is just waste)
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this at 1:50 am before the old thread was cut off. But just to keep the Gilardino conversation going...

Genoa is sitting currently 2 points from the drop. Gilardino is their top scorer with 3 goals in 9 matches. Five players are on loan - three of which are less valuable forwards - and set to return at the end of season. Unless they have other transfer plans they need to fund in January, I can't find a reason for them to sell him in the winter window.

Genoa's squad list: http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/fc-g...erein_252.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Between Urruti and Forlan the old thread was something else.

Its going to be a long couple of months...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From yesterday:

MLS Transfers@MLSTransfers15h#TFC offering Gilardino $7 million over 3 years and an alternative is Tottenham's Defoe. Via @DavidAmoyal #MLS http://www.gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/toronto-makes-offer-for-gilardino-defoe-is-the-alternative-the-details/ …

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    I posted this at 1:50 am before the old thread was cut off. But just to keep the Gilardino conversation going...
    Gilardino has a wider skill set than Di Vaio and as recently as September scored for Italy against Bulgaria. He's not getting any younger, but I think he's as good as he ever was right now. I think his experience makes up for what he's lost physically. He had a great season at Bologna last year, and even playing with Genoa's shell of a team (their president only seems to care about selling players) he's still doing alright. Scored a very good headed goal last weekend.

The problem is that he would be expensive, at least according to this article:

http://football-italia.net/41156/gil...wanted-toronto

And considering where Genoa sit in the table, and their lack of other options, it is hard to see them allowing him to let him leave, especially before the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forzatoronto View Post
    And considering where Genoa sit in the table, and their lack of other options, it is hard to see them allowing him to let him leave, especially before the end of the season.
    That's the point I'm trying to make. Unless they are absolutely dead-sure of some other player they have targeted to replace his goals...they can't afford to let him go in a relegation battle. At least not until the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumour control is in full swing at TFC this week:

Defoe #9 and lampard ehh at #10.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/27/reds-gm-exudes-quiet-confidence

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's the point I'm trying to make. Unless they are absolutely dead-sure of some other player they have targeted to replace his goals...they can't afford to let him go in a relegation battle. At least not until the summer.
    I don't follow the Azzurri very closely, but wouldn't Gilardino also be an outside bet to make the team? I don't think we'd get him anyways before next summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I don't follow the Azzurri very closely, but wouldn't Gilardino also be an outside bet to make the team? I don't think we'd get him anyways before next summer.
    He was in the squad against Denmark nearly three weeks ago. He subbed on late in the match (82') and helped tie it up in extra time. A crucial draw, as Italy went on to win the group with Denmark close behind in 2nd.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/de...t_2262601.html

He wasn't included four days later v Armenia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see why we would need to wait until summer unless they won't sell him until then. Have him until the end of may and let him go to world cup training camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's just opinion...but i'd have Defoe > Gila more all around player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    I know it's just opinion...but i'd have Defoe > Gila more all around player.
    Same here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here.
    And here.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In response to OgTheDim's comments, I am not so sure Lambe is going anywhere. He is still very young and Nelsen seems to rate him. Apparently he may also not be far off from residency status which would free up the international spot he is currently occupying...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my Futhead squad for 2014, solely based on recent rumours. I did the cap math to leave enough for remaining squad. TFC is playing a 4-4-1-1. I have Bobby Convey coming off the bench, with Will Johnson starting on the left side. Portland would be mad to give him up, but he's a player I rate so take that.

http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/1877480/

Edit: Mark Bloom isn't available to be selected, so I went with Hainault as Eckersley's replacement. Again, only because Bloom isn't on that site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my Futhead squad for 2014, solely based on recent rumours. I did the cap math to leave enough for remaining squad. TFC is playing a 4-4-1-1. I have Bobby Convey coming off the bench, with Will Johnson starting on the left side. Portland would be mad to give him up, but he's a player I rate so take that.

http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/1877480/

Edit: Mark Bloom isn't available to be selected, so I went with Hainault as Eckersley's replacement. Again, only because Bloom isn't on that site.
    Will isn't leaving Portland to come here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently Quagliarella's agent, Bozzo (same agent as Gilardino) confirmed TFC's interest in him.

TWEET:
    (RT by @MLSTransfers) @ADP1113 (Tarek Khatib): "TMW: In America there are eyes on Quagliarella... Quaglia's agent Bozzo "Yes, there's an interest and not only from Toronto, we'll see."

So it sounds like he is definitely on that list of "about half a dozen" players we are looking at.

I wonder who else is in the running for Quag, and what chance we have of actually landing him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather we land him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prandelli used to coach him at Parma where Gilardino was netting just under 1 in 2 games. He knows how to get the best out of him so I don't think he's an outside bet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Forget all this stuff - let's land Zlatan in 2016!!!! http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/16...future?cc=5901

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget all this stuff - let's land Zlatan in 2016!!!! http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/16...future?cc=5901
    could see him with NYCFC not us tho

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    could see him with NYCFC not us tho
    I realize it's unlikely...but man, if TL ever wanted to deliver the goods...(in addition to making the playoffs next season, of course!). Make Goldenballs look like a pissant signing.