Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Asking for clarification and commenting on the clean sweep concept. Irrelevant? Obviously not unrelated by the number of responses.
    You're equating "I'm glad he's gone" with a witch hunt. Now, I don't live in the GTA, but I also havne't heard anything about pitch forks and torches down at BMO so maybe you need to check your hyperbole and take that into consideration when you don't get the response you're looking for.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a bad experience with Paul 3 years ago, but I suspect this was a product of the toxic work environment. Surviving in a place like this requires people to do some not-so-nice things.

He always seemed like a good guy deep down. I hope he has better luck with his bosses in his next gig.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    You're equating "I'm glad he's gone" with a witch hunt. Now, I don't live in the GTA, but I also havne't heard anything about pitch forks and torches down at BMO so maybe you need to check your hyperbole and take that into consideration when you don't get the response you're looking for.
    You're looking at " I'm glad he's gone."

I was discussing the "Clean sweep".

Hope that helps.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    We didn't always see eye to eye with Paul on everything, but the guy always gave us a seat at the table and a avenue to voice ourselves.

A little respect should be shown to the guy.
    Given that he stuck with and essentially endorsed all of this crapitude, little is the righ word. It's easy to confuse someone who is generally nice and earnest with someone you should respect, because they're hard to dislike. But this guy was one of those handed a golden goose and decided to cook it.

The argument of 'I was only following orders" doesn't ever trump the moral postion; if he thought he was the one guy able to change that culture, well I guess that's admirable (although naive from personal experience) but it doesn't change the fact that he failed. It's not uncommon behavior, really. Lots of people stay at employers they don't like in a field they love because ... well, I guess they love the job and think they can make the place better.

But seven years of failure doesn't command much respect.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I feel nothing.

Carry on TFC.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You told somebody their opinion was wrong, stopped at that, then posed another question.

Actually forgot it. I should be working right now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I didn't have much interaction with PB other than the town halls a couple years back - I wonder if my opinion of him would have been different if he hadn't uttered that flippant "supply and demand" comment (of course, some of his tweets this season didn't win him any points either) - it pissed me off then, and still does now. At the end of the day, he was part of the regime which oversaw 7 years of utter failure, and that is why this day had to come eventually. I have nothing against him personally however, and wish him the best in his new endeavours.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's one man who I really wish this team would bring back. He's a link the link to the past, to the good times, to unity.

That man is Ponytail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm all for sweeping out the old, as I think the whole lot should have been let go... let's not lay blame where it's not due. Paul B had nothing whatsoever to do with the on-field product. he neither scouted, signed, nor coached the players that let us down so consistently on the field.

Now laying the blame at his feet for sky-high concession prices, and for turning the game-day experience into one long infomercial, may be justified. And disliking him for some of his comments/tweets may be well placed, but the 7 years of futility on the field were not his doing. There's a long enough list of people to be blamed for that specific failing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santiago View Post
    There's one man who I really wish this team would bring back. He's a link the link to the past, to the good times, to unity.

That man is Ponytail.
    Andrea Lombardo?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think he means that security guard guy
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post
    Andrea Lombardo?
    Ha ha. That's exactly what I was going to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at a small gathering for KW United, their launch party, and Osorio was there as well as Bierne. Osorio came out and talked to us, and took a picture. Great kid but only hung around for a few minutes.

Bierne came out later and sat down with us and chatted. One of the first things he asked us was who has seasons tickets. At that point I was the last one there that had them so I put up my lone hand and said "Since day 1"
    Bierne immediately said I owe you a drink and as the conversation went on he was almost embarrassed/afraid to look me in the eye because of, most likely, the disappointment he knew I felt with the team.

Nice guy overall though. Said some good things at this sit down. He didnt divulge much but this was also when they were bigging up all the "signings" that Payne had in store. Still was cool to chat with him a bit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never really cared about Paul B one way or another. He's an off-field PR guy, handed a pretty impossible job due to the epic failure of the onfield product. He was always polite to me, and even gave us some scoops here in earlier seasons, before he stopped coming around (I assume when things got so negative that he knew inserting himself in the conversation was a lose-lose proposition).

I wish him the best, but otherwise this just gets an indifferent shrug from me. I've never really been a fervent advocate of completing the "clean sweep" card collection, regardless of what peoples' roles in the organization were (and hence, their culpability for our mess).

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    But this guy was one of those handed a golden goose and decided to cook it.
    I'd say someone else served up the turd, but Paul B. was still responsible for covering it with sprinkles and telling everyone it was ice cream.

Long term thinking was not their strong point. Mentality was plunge the customer for every dollar you could as soon as possible, say anything / promise anything to keep people coming back.

I would suspect it was the type of thing that was directed (ie necessary to meet profit projections) rather than he had a choice in doing. But, people who are smart that are stuck in those situation leave instead of sticking around to do hatchet work. So I don't feel particularly bad for him, it was his choice to do what he did. A fair number of people in the front office jumped ship after that first run, they probably knew where this was going long before we understood the extent of the problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I would suspect it was the type of thing that was directed (ie necessary to meet profit projections) rather than he had a choice in doing.
    Considering they were expecting 12-15k per game and all we heard about was the massive success story (not to mention praise lavished upon the FO), I highly doubt their aggressive marketing tactics were a result of falling short of projections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I had a bad experience with Paul 3 years ago, but I suspect this was a product of the toxic work environment. Surviving in a place like this requires people to do some not-so-nice things.

He always seemed like a good guy deep down. I hope he has better luck with his bosses in his next gig.

Um he is not .. arrogant and full of himself .. Phil with all do respect I have heard him discount and minimize supporters with my own ears .. Don't let the door hit you PB .. I hope he was given chance to resign lol .. looks good on him .. should have been fired if I had my choice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inheavensince07 View Post
    Um he is not .. arrogant and full of himself .. Phil with all do respect I have heard him discount and minimize supporters with my own ears .. Don't let the door hit you PB .. I hope he was given chance to resign lol .. looks good on him .. should have been fired if I had my choice
    What precisely did you hear him say?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    What precisely did you hear him say?

- Scott
    I precisely heard him say to me directly "that supporters and supporters groups are only less then 10% of our fans and they will not dictate how we market and work with this team going forward .. This was after year 1 .. This of course is my word against his .. But I can promise you on the health and well being of my children that he said it matter of factly and with blatant disregard for what supporters did for the team in year 1 .. It was a massive miscalculation that took more then a few years to materialize into a big bed shit .. But it was his arrogance that will stick with me for all time .. He will be fine for sure with work , he is fairly smart with his bullshit so other like minded idiots will eat his crap up ,, so don't worry about his livelihood .. Just be happy the twitter happy D bag is gone..

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough, everyone has their opinions and experiences to draw upon. I don't doubt that through out the course of his tenure he made mistakes or comments that were less than flattering. Lets face it, the relationship was severly strained at times. Many a time I was either directly representing the group in those cirmcumstances or flat out planning actions that lead to a ton of stress on him.

That being said he offered all the groups a lot of help in forming and sustaining themselves. Orignal 109, NEE formation of a supporters section in 127, seat relocation for SG groups. I also know that he worked hard in other aspects to find solutions to minimize what would have become massive issues. It all was far from smooth sailing and we had some pretty big disconects on a number of issues but it seems there are a lot of different opinions.

I think Duane nailed it this morning:

I have a feeling that "be careful what you wish for" is a phrase Paul Beirne's critics are gong to understand soon enough.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough, everyone has their opinions and experiences to draw upon. I don't doubt that through out the course of his tenure he made mistakes or comments that were less than flattering. Lets face it, the relationship was severly strained at times. Many a time I was either directly representing the group in those cirmcumstances or flat out planning actions that lead to a ton of stress on him.

That being said he offered all the groups a lot of help in forming and sustaining themselves. Orignal 109, NEE formation of a supporters section in 127, seat relocation for SG groups. I also know that he worked hard in other aspects to find solutions to minimize what would have become massive issues. It all was far from smooth sailing and we had some pretty big disconects on a number of issues but it seems there are a lot of different opinions.

I have a feeling that "be careful what you wish for" is a phrase Paul Beirne's critics are gong to understand soon enough.

Thanks Phil , I can appreciate all of your comments above .. You are a great president and I mean that sincerely .. Agreed be careful what you wish for .. But imo how could it be worse then what was there .. I actually think that is an impossibility given what has gone on here in 7 plus years .. It was a mad house year 1 I can still remmeber the chaos after last game etc .. it was all destroyed slowly and methodically after that .. by incompetence and greed
    Last edited by inheavensince07; 10-24-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: had to add greed :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I precisely heard him say to me directly "that supporters and supporters groups are only less then 10% of our fans and they will not dictate how we market and work with this team going forward .. This was after year 1 .. This of course is my word against his .. But I can promise you on the health and well being of my children that he said it matter of factly and with blatant disregard for what supporters did for the team in year 1 .. It was a massive miscalculation that took more then a few years to materialize into a big bed shit .. But it was his arrogance that will stick with me for all time .. He will be fine for sure with work , he is fairly smart with his bullshit so other like minded idiots will eat his crap up ,, so don't worry about his livelihood .. Just be happy the twitter happy D bag is gone..
    So you've concluded he's arrogant and full of himself, based on what was a relatively mild single comment, made several years ago? Or is there more?

And why would Paul B be saying something like this to you directly? What did you say to him?

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can recall more than one cringe-worthy thing he's said over the years, but frankly, when you interacted as closely with the fans/supporters as he did for a while, you're bound to put your foot in it a few times. Especially when he was trying to face down some of the rage that got lobbed his way (even completely justified rage).

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About time.

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    So you've concluded he's arrogant and full of himself, based on what was a relatively mild single comment, made several years ago? Or is there more?

And why would Paul B be saying something like this to you directly? What did you say to him?

- Scott
    I can live with the fact you may not believe me .. But I am just passing on my feelings .. He has down much more but that is more personal .. He is not like a maple leafs zamboni driver or anything .. But his arrogance has directly F'd me over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onward and upward enough about this numb nuts .. I will let it all go .. but I couldnt until he left

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to say Shakes speaks for me as well. Short of the man (P.B.) killing your pets, these posts are odd.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can live with the fact you may not believe me .. But I am just passing on my feelings .. He has down much more but that is more personal .. He is not like a maple leafs zamboni driver or anything .. But his arrogance has directly F'd me over
    I didn't say I don't believe you - I wanted to better understand the context in which he apparently said it. I have no skin in the Paul Beirne game, as I said. He was ultimately a public relations guy, and one for whom I didn't pay much attention, outside of the early days when he actually came on this board often and personally engaged with us.

The last several years, he's been mostly behind the scenes, with the bulk of his interactions being Twitter replies, and has had no real influence on the on-field product. So I just don't care.

It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with him.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Considering they were expecting 12-15k per game and all we heard about was the massive success story (not to mention praise lavished upon the FO), I highly doubt their aggressive marketing tactics were a result of falling short of projections.
    Initially this was probably true, but things change quickly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    I think he means that security guard guy
    That's right, a little joke for the oldtimers.