Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Matchday 33: Toronto at Chicago, Sat 19 Oct, 830pm

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/goal...930474?cmp=rss

Bye week, but with Bendik suspended, looks like Frei will get one more start for TFC.

Chicago is in the hunt for final playoff spot.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hall is also out with yellow card accumulation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are going to lose. And its ok. 2-1 odds that Mr. Mike "Bradley Cooper" Magee (Magoo) scored for the fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei should be given the last two games, no ifs, ands, or buts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I get the whole "Frei did a lot for us." sentiment. But, I am getting tired of people who think that if he isn't in goal for these last two that it is a crime against humanity worth mounting the barricades and a fireable offence.

He's a player.

He has done well for us.

His contract is too large for us.

He will be gone.

Sure, if he gets two games to end the season, great. I'd love to see him stop a penalty in Extra time against Di Vaio to put Montreal out of the playoffs.

But, if he is one player in a long line we will see come and go over the years. I can not afford myself the luxury of anger for things not being done on the pitch for sentimental reasons.

BTW, I got angry at how Frings was honoured - and people shrugged and said "Meh..."
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    You know, I get the whole "Frei did a lot for us." sentiment. But, I am getting tired of people who think that if he isn't in goal for these last two that it is a crime against humanity worth mounting the barricades and a fireable offence.
    I was a vocal supporter of Frei receiving two last games way back in mid season and have since been resigned to him not playing the rest of the season. I've seen many of the players who have put everything behind the badge become victims of idiocy in the back office come and go. I want to see Frei play, but the realistic part is that he wouldn't be playing if Bendik didn't get the second yellow.

There are very few players left on this team that fans will be able to identify with - it was always nice knowing #24 was still there. I have a few jerseys, but only one with a name and number on the back. Same with the wife.

So it's not a fireable offence, but it plays a large part in how I feel about the team. It shouldn't be about the name on the back of the jersey, but a bit of recognition for those who played for the team and not the number shows class. I'm sure Nelsen appreciated the send off he received at QPR, he's only months removed from that.

The retiring All Whites captain Ryan Nelsen has played his last game in English football's Premier League, and the 35-year-old stalwart was sent off the pitch at Queens Park Rangers' home ground of Loftus Road by a guard of honour from his team-mates.
    He played a half season, encompassing 21 games for them. Not 5 seasons and 98.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    I was a vocal supporter of Frei receiving two last games way back in mid season and have since been resigned to him not playing the rest of the season. I've seen many of the players who have put everything behind the badge become victims of idiocy in the back office come and go. I want to see Frei play, but the realistic part is that he wouldn't be playing if Bendik didn't get the second yellow.

There are very few players left on this team that fans will be able to identify with - it was always nice knowing #24 was still there. I have a few jerseys, but only one with a name and number on the back. Same with the wife.

So it's not a fireable offence, but it plays a large part in how I feel about the team. It shouldn't be about the name on the back of the jersey, but a bit of recognition for those who played for the team and not the number shows class. I'm sure Nelsen appreciated the send off he received at QPR, he's only months removed from that.

He played a half season, encompassing 21 games for them. Not 5 seasons and 98.
    someone should remind Nelsen of this.

though I am really of opinion that best player should play, especially if the game has playoff implications for Montreal (and Frei really had a terrible time giving up 6 goals last time he faced Montreal)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100th appearance and a chance to knock Montreal out of the playoff... would be the right way to send him on his way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    someone should remind Nelsen of this.

though I am really of opinion that best player should play, especially if the game has playoff implications for Montreal (and Frei really had a terrible time giving up 6 goals last time he faced Montreal)

I would rather have a rusty Frei than someone who has 25 games total as a professional in Konopka. But we don't know the form of the player is in training, who knows what happens but surely he has to be ahead of Konopka.

Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2004 Jersey Falcons 8 (0)
    2007 Kansas City Wizards (0)
    2008 Bohemian FC (0)
    2009 Sporting Fingal 3 (0)
    2010 Waterford United 12 (0)
    2011 New York Red Bulls 1 (0)
    2012–2013 Philadelphia Union 1 (0)
    2013– Toronto FC (0
    Last edited by Richard; 10-09-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I would rather have a rusty Frei than someone who has 25 games total as a professional in Konopka. But we don't know the form of the player is in training, who knows what happens but surely he has to be ahead of Konopka.

Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2004 Jersey Falcons 8 (0)
    2007 Kansas City Wizards (0)
    2008 Bohemian FC (0)
    2009 Sporting Fingal 3 (0)
    2010 Waterford United 12 (0)
    2011 New York Red Bulls 1 (0)
    2012–2013 Philadelphia Union 1 (0)
    2013– Toronto FC (0
    I think what he was saying is he would play Bendik against Montreal if we have a chance to knock them out of the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I think what he was saying is he would play Bendik against Montreal if we have a chance to knock them out of the playoffs.
    correct

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago desperately needs the win if they want to hold on to a playoff spot so I imagine they'll come out guns blazing. Then again TFC have nothing to lose so they could spend the entire time playing keep away with Chicago and then maybe sneak in a goal when the Fire lose their minds and slip up. Could be an entertaining game after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not even sure who is benched/injured on the team these days, but here’s my projected line-up:
    --------------------Frei---------------------------
    --Ecks-----Henry--Caldwell-----Morgan--
    Rey--------Osario------Hall---------Convey
    -------------Dike--Earnshaw-------------------

Let's steal a game here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Frei is starting this game then Q Roberts should get a start with the reserves.

We should win this one, 2-0 clean sheet for Frei. :@)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We still don't have anyone who can score reliably, the backline still makes mistakes, and TFC is playing an away game. I say Chicago wins 2-1.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hall out for this game too (suspension). I was under the impression people had forgotten about this game, lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First (and likely only) game ever cheering against TFC. Gonna be a hoot.

--------------------Caldwell------------------
    --Bekker-----(left blank)--Earnshaw-----Weideman--
    --Dike-------Morgan---Russell (RC 2')-----Braun--
    -------------Eckersley--Frei--------------
    Last edited by Red4ever; 10-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--------------------Frei------------------
    --Bloom-----Henry--Caldwell-----Morgan--
    --Rey-------Osario---Russell-----Convey--
    -------------Dike--Earnshaw--------------

Bench: Richter, Konopka, Bekker, Agboss, Braun, Weideman, Eckersley

Ecks on the bench because we need the body. I torn between Morgan and Elmer starting. I think it will be Morgan over Elmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russell for Hall, I would think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    100th appearance and a chance to knock Montreal out of the playoff... would be the right way to send him on his way.
    At this point I doubt Frei could give a shit about playing anymore onthis miserable team. Not his fault he is overpaid. This team has a deplorable record of developing its draft players, Frei, in my opinion, had far more raw talent and ability, and potential, than the bum they have now. A year or two out of this mess and Frei will regain his confidence and become the player we thought he would become. And like so many others who have departed, we will read in these threads nothing but unfounded garbage laying blame on the player rather than the dreadful coaching that brings us year after year of unwatchable soccer. Canada now ranked at 111, and our best TFC players sit onthe bench when the NT plays. Very telling. If Frei is expendable, so are all the others.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    At this point I doubt Frei could give a shit about playing anymore onthis miserable team. Not his fault he is overpaid. This team has a deplorable record of developing its draft players, Frei, in my opinion, had far more raw talent and ability, and potential, than the bum they have now. A year or two out of this mess and Frei will regain his confidence and become the player we thought he would become. And like so many others who have departed, we will read in these threads nothing but unfounded garbage laying blame on the player rather than the dreadful coaching that brings us year after year of unwatchable soccer. Canada now ranked at 111, and our best TFC players sit onthe bench when the NT plays. Very telling. If Frei is expendable, so are all the others.
    Henry started for game vs Australia.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda lose respect for people that call Bendik a bum just so they can whine about the team as a whole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default All About The Cap . . .

At this point I doubt Frei could give a shit about playing anymore on this miserable team. Not his fault he is overpaid. If Frei is expendable, so are all the others.

It is too bad that it comes down to looking at what a player makes vs looking at a players ability . . .
    O'Dea is gone, injury aside Danny K. will be gone and of course Ecks sits on the bench and may be gone too!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then you're wrong. Frei genuinely cares for the fans in this city and therefore wants to play and win for this team. The organization relationship obviously isn't going his way but I think he knows he can shine elsewhere. The question isn't if he has value. The question addressed is how much and how long can we afford to wait? If we were a complete team going forward but for the Goalkeeping I'd be up in arms.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me if Frei wants to stay and told the FO he was willing to say for say 90k or so or even lower if say bring him back.

We know what we have in Frei. A soild keeper that is a starter that has top ability. If Bendik goes down at all (knock on wood) do we really rely on Konopka?

Guy has played only a handful of games in the last few years. Or do we go with a reliable backup who has almost 100 games under his belt?

Konopka at 46-48k and very little playing time in the last few years or Frei with almost 100 games of experience and wants to be here?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way Frei stays for 90K as a backup.

He can make as much as he currently makes, in Europe, as a backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    No way Frei stays for 90K as a backup.

He can make as much as he currently makes, in Europe, as a backup.
    Don't think money is an issue to Step. He wants to stay loves the city and if given the oppurinity to stay by Biz and TL he would. Unfortunately I don't see it happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont see why he would want to stay, sure he may love the city and the fans but he hasnt started in two years.

He wants to start and get his career back on track, he cant do that here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our football and hockey clubs are in Chicago Saturday night.
    It would be great for both teams to leave with some points.
    Go TFC Go, Go Leafs Go!
    J&M

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayMolly View Post
    Our football and hockey clubs are in Chicago Saturday night.
    It would be great for both teams to leave with some points.
    Go TFC Go, Go Leafs Go!
    J&M
    Joe's will have both on tomorrow plus basesball I'm sure.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER