Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what nelsen was thinking taking Dike off. TFC were the better team til that happened. That foul on rey was a red no doubt, the officiating is really what turns me off. The foul on henry gifting the free kick goal was ridiculous. Henry barely touched arms with the guy. Officiating needs to be the top priority for this league not expansion. Earnshaw better not be back next year. I'm only renewing if light grey are available. My north end seats are good but not $1,000 good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    looks like we are going to see frei next game cause bendik got sent off right after the goal. said something to the ref
    Are you sure? I don't recall the announcers mentioning it and on the MLS recap page it shows Bendik was yellowed for time wasting in the 86th minute but that's it.

https://golazo.mlssoccer.com/matchce...-vs-toronto-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Are you sure? I don't recall the announcers mentioning it and on the MLS recap page it shows Bendik was yellowed for time wasting in the 86th minute but that's it.

https://golazo.mlssoccer.com/matchce...-vs-toronto-fc
    TSN said Red card after the final whistle.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our D looks very good. I'm proud of our back line - for the most part. We have problems up top.

I'm growing tired of the constant whining from players and coaches alike. I know our officiating is painful at times but the constant complaining to the officials is borderline childish. It has to stop. In small part because it works. Officials are influenced by the constant badgering, IMO. But it demeans the game, more importantly.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerepis View Post
    TSN said Red card after the final whistle.
    Ah, I see. I kind of rage quit right after the final whistle sounded. I guess what's worst is the final two matches are against teams who are also trying to hold onto their playoff spot and desperately need a win. Seeing how they were higher up in the standings than Philly when the this game started means the chances of us exceeding last year's win total is remote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    That foul on rey was a red no doubt, the officiating is really what turns me off. The foul on henry gifting the free kick goal was ridiculous. Henry barely touched arms with the guy. Officiating needs to be the top priority for this league not expansion.
    Agreed.

MLS headoffice should be on red-alert about how bad the officiating has been this year. Hope the coaches give them an earful.

BTW, watching Dillion Powers and Deshorn Brown for colorado tonight our draft should officially be considered an epic failure. I don't know who did the talent evaluation this year but they should be shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    Our D looks very good. I'm proud of our back line - for the most part. We have problems up top.

I'm growing tired of the constant whining from players and coaches alike. I know our officiating is painful at times but the constant complaining to the officials is borderline childish. It has to stop. In small part because it works. Officials are influenced by the constant badgering, IMO. But it demeans the game, more importantly.
    I've always enjoyed this season's use of the officials as a scapegoat. Yes, they've made mistakes. They will always make mistakes. Get over it. Be a man and shoulder some of the blame yourself.

TFC's real problem: 2nd lowest goals-for, 3rd worst goal differential. You're not going to win anything with those two stats.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    philly announcer -TFC knows how to blow games ,they've done that all year!.. down a man can't counter......as usual our subs are CSL quality . sorry about insulting CSL. Nice UFC soccer match though. Can see Frei at least diving for that ! Don't get it Neilson hints he'll use Dike and Earnshaw together , big small get it , but yet again puts Earnshaw with who weideman....both similar and both not up to par . It is time Neilson is looked at critically . We need an offensive coordinator . Oh ya an AM !
    I agree with just about everything you & others said.

Bendik some great stops but also some great gaffs tonight. I totally agree that Frei deserves a couple of games, even w/o the red to Bendik. I just worry that Nelsen (really getting sick of his idiocy) will play Konopka instead of Frei.

Just one thing though -- I bet Frei would have just watched that goal sail in as well. That was one of few things that pissed me off about Frei when he was our regular keeper: he would get frozen or not go for shots where he thought he might not have a chance. That's ridiculous, you never know how balls will end up, they can slow down or curve before they get to the net, and a seemingly unstoppable shot suddenly gets stopped. Frei (and Bendik) should always be making an attempt on a shot like that. (Not sure if Bendik was even ready for the free kick tonight.)

Some occasional nice play by TFC tonight, but ugly finishing. Some ugliness all around actually. Sometimes Henry & Morgan just don't have their heads screwed on tight. They (and a few others) occasionally display a nonchalance that's totally inappropriate considering their age, experience, skill, and the position of the team in the standings.

TFC pisses me off. Many of Philly's players piss me off. The whole officiating crew pissed me off tonight. (TFC players repeatedly got tackled from behind, plus other dangerous tackles, often not even a whistle. Then that weak call against Henry that finished the game.) But I'm not even blaming the ref for the result, that game was there for the taking by TFC, so many clear chances wasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    I've always enjoyed this season's use of the officials as a scapegoat. Yes, they've made mistakes. They will always make mistakes. Get over it. Be a man and shoulder some of the blame yourself.

TFC's real problem: 2nd lowest goals-for, 3rd worst goal differential. You're not going to win anything with those two stats.
    ^ Agreed. While I was bored a little while ago I started looking at all the post game comments from Nelsen over the past couple of months. Basically every game where we lost or tied you could find a quote from Nelsen about TFC's bad fortune.

I don't know if he actually believes what he says, but someone needs to give him media training because the "we deserved better" routine is getting tired.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post

I remember Leiweke saying that the complaints about the officiating are useless and need to stop, but Nelsen keeps it up. That can't sit well with TL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Hate being negative in the spirit of the return of the reinvented boards..... but you are spot on......and I am confused on the strategy ? of our future . We are the laughing stock in MLS . In print and now on broadcasts . Shame , we don't deserve it.
    me neither, but its just too frustrating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the bad officiating is amplified by watching a bad team. If you have a good team, the bad officiating is somewhat cancelled out by the good play of our team. Bad team play only accentuates bad officiating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    I have no idea what nelsen was thinking taking Dike off.
    7 months since ACL injury? No point risking it this season.

Speaking of Dike, It's amazing how good we look we have a proper no. 9 that can hold up the ball and can challenge for long balls.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post

Bad officiating is infuriating in this league, but over the arc of an entire season (or several seasons), you ultimately create your own luck. It gets a little tiring seeing losses pinned on team misfortune by the coach. The odd game, sure.

There's also a hint of confirmation bias, because people never forget the games where bad officiating swung in our fortune. Still makes it an inexcusable problem, but not necessarily one that has haunted Toronto FC, and Toronto FC only.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    I think the bad officiating is amplified by watching a bad team. If you have a good team, the bad officiating is somewhat cancelled out by the good play of our team. Bad team play only accentuates bad officiating.
    Every team is complaining about the officiating this season. There are a lot of new refs this year. The guy last night, it was his 28th game, or something like that. Nobody expects the level of that bald Italian guy at the World Cup from 10 years ago or so, and the quality should get better next season. But the officiating has been below what it should be at this level.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-06-2013 at 12:07 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Bad officiating is infuriating in this league, but over the arc of an entire season (or several seasons), you ultimately create your own luck. It gets a little tiring seeing losses pinned on team misfortune by the coach. The odd game, sure.

There's also a hint of confirmation bias, because people never forget the games where bad officiating swung in our fortune. Still makes it an inexcusable problem, but not necessarily one that has haunted Toronto FC, and Toronto FC only.

- Scott
    Absolutely. Having said that - I have little faith that it will change. So I better just suck it up an get use to it I suppose.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Developing league = developing refs. Will be that way until some of these younger inexperienced refs get some years under their belts. Let's hope MLS finds a few good ones to get some depth on that area as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Developing league = developing refs. Will be that way until some of these younger inexperienced refs get some years under their belts. Let's hope MLS finds a few good ones to get some depth on that area as well.
    While there were always going to be growing pains along the way, considering how MLS has handled the officiating they have nobody but themselves to blame.

Five or six years ago their public stance was that the USSF trained all the refs and they retained no responsibility. Much like the early days of NCAA players and drafting, they love the idea they can get a free lunch while someone else does the work. It was a pretty backwards place to start from as MLS is the primary benefactor of having better officials (and players) available.

To make matters worse, they are slow to increase the number of "full time" (ie. reasonably paid) officials around the league. We have zero full time linesmen and only some fulltime officials. For a league that's already stretched and is going to be expanding this is unacceptable.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Best time to bring in Frie for the last two games? Keep Bendik from screwing up a solid year(rest too), and give the fans a farewell to Frie.

This is the best thing I've read about our goal keeping situation all year long, anywhere. Agree, agree, agree. People who want to slight one to compensate for how much they like the other are just lazy analysts. Both of them have been good for us and great at times.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the letters "TSN" were in the title of this thread I feel it's on topic.

Dear TSN, don't EVER use Vic Rauter for TFC again. The man can NOT call a game. Stick to curling or polo. I nearly had fist through TV syndrome a few times with his total shit call.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having listened to the Philly in house staff, I would take Rauter. At least he enjoys the language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't stand Rauter's play-by-play either, he throws in all these odd pauses and never seems sure about what he's going to say next.