Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    except Agudelo is 20, while Silva is 24, soon to be 25. so Silva is more like a journeyman than a prospect. and Agudelo was on final year of his contract
    Here you were, proving you know more than almost anyone here about MLS ... and then you call Silva a journeyman.

We'll agree to disagree about that, I guess.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Here you were, proving you know more than almost anyone here about MLS ... and then you call Silva a journeyman.

ok. journeyman isn't quite the right word, but Silva is no longer a prospect/rookie
    Last edited by Yohan; 10-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    If there was evidence of this specific bias, in specific pieces, that would be different. Just complaining about how "negative" the media is, is not the same. We get bad press because our team sucks, has sucked forever, and because we've been running such a lousy organization, that it's almost become the stuff of legend.

95% of the negative pieces I read or watch, deal exclusively with these facts - just like how the Maple Leafs used to get shit on for their lousy organization, in the heydey of Peddie. The media doesn't exist to manufacture hope and sunshine for us; that job belongs to the team.

- Scott
    That's very generous of you, shakes, but I'm whT I'm telling you is that most daily sports reporters I've met - and that's a hell of a lot if them - are open to other reporters about their contempt for soccer. I'm not " reading " that into their work. They openly admit they think soccer is a pussy sport and that "it will never catch on here". I've heard that exact line dozens of times from different sports writers.

generously, one in six like it, one in four tolerate it, and it shows in a structurally biased approach to how they pick angles, ledges and stories.

None if this is helped by tfc being totally shit at PR and content generation, as most sports writers are pretty spoonfed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    That's very generous of you, shakes, but I'm whT I'm telling you is that most daily sports reporters I've met - and that's a hell of a lot if them - are open to other reporters about their contempt for soccer. I'm not " reading " that into their work. They openly admit they think soccer is a pussy sport and that "it will never catch on here". I've heard that exact line dozens of times from different sports writers.

generously, one in six like it, one in four tolerate it, and it shows in a structurally biased approach to how they pick angles, ledges and stories.

None if this is helped by tfc being totally shit at PR and content generation, as most sports writers are pretty spoonfed

I laugh whenever I hear this, these guys must not be aware of how many kids actually play, not to mention the demographics of Canada.

We have such great multicultural diversity that soccer will be the #1 sport very soon.

Any chance most of these reporters you talk about are the old guys on the way out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I laugh whenever I hear this, these guys must not be aware of how many kids actually play, not to mention the demographics of Canada.

We have such great multicultural diversity that soccer will be the #1 sport very soon.

Any chance most of these reporters you talk about are the old guys on the way out?
    Thats a pretty big part of it although it's problematic, as sportswriters tend to not be laid off as freely due to the romantic and mistaken notion that they have turn-of-phrase. So they stay until their livers give out.
    Last edited by jloome; 10-09-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

On another note about recognizing talent, it will be interesting to see if Stefan Frei gets a fair shake at winning his job back this weekend with bendik suspended. At the start if the season Nelsen claimed he was the guy.
    Last edited by jloome; 10-09-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Damn iPh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

In another thread (before the board went down) someone mentioned how the vast majority of the kids in soccer are taught by people who may be well-meaning but really don't know the game that well. It's very different from hockey. So, soccer may or may not become the number one sport.

And I have to say, in some ways I understand those reporters. There is a core of soccer fans here who are, let's say, not as welcoming as they could be, to North Americans who don't already know the sport. And the reporters have lots of other choices of sports to write about. It goes both ways.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note about recognizing talent, it will be interesting to see if Stefan Frei gets a fair shake at winning his job back this weekend with bendik suspended. At the start if the season Nelsen claimed he was the guy.
    Frei can play like he's Oliver Kahn next 2 games and he still won't get his job back.

Bendik is cheaper and is as good, or at least almost as good as Frei and Nelsen is happy with that
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Mr Leiweke,

I hope you are watching Houston vs SKC game right now. BBVA stadium pitch looks terrible, and I see shadows where football lines were. Absolutely terrible looking

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Mr Leiweke,

I hope you are watching Houston vs SKC game right now. BBVA stadium pitch looks terrible, and I see shadows where football lines were. Absolutely terrible looking
    QFT, thanks Yohan! The guy is fucking delusional if he thinks TFC + CFL will work consistently on grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei can play like he's Oliver Kahn next 2 games and he still won't get his job back.

Bendik is cheaper and is as good, or at least almost as good as Frei and Nelsen is happy with that
    I don't doubt it; but it will still be classless given that they spent the first part if the season claiming it was just a matter of injury that he isn't the starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Mr Leiweke,

To be fair, they have a fully natural field, where we would most likely be going with something like a Grassmaster, the lines are another issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    What I find most upsetting, is that this season just feels like a 'lost season', even moreso than any others. We all knew we were going to suck this year, but with Payne and Nelsen(who I had hope in at the beginning) coming in, 2013 was supposed to be the beginning of the rebuild, not next season. Now with TL coming in, Payne being given his walking papers, it's like this past season might as well have not even happened, given we will be at square one once again next season, when we really should have been a quarter or halfway there. Sure, they did some good things, like create much-needed cap room, but that's really about it.
    Totally agree. If I had to boil down all my irritations and discouragement from this season, it would come down to this. This was the rebuild year. Instead it was last season repeated, with the added bonus of cap space. But no new team core was created, no playing style defined, and the front office drama continues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Totally agree. If I had to boil down all my irritations and discouragement from this season, it would come down to this. This was the rebuild year. Instead it was last season repeated, with the added bonus of cap space. But no new team core was created, no playing style defined, and the front office drama continues.
    So true. In this year that was supposed to be a "no expectations" "rebuild" year the team has fired the guy that was brought in to "rebuild" the team, less than a year after he was hired. And they kept the player/coach that the fired guy went on a limb to hire himself.

The one "positive" of this year was the clearing of cap space. The guy who did it is gone.

LOL

It's like nothing I've seen before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post

It's a god damn Groundhog Day horror movie remake.

SOMEONE BITCH SLAP ME! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.
    Last edited by Alonso; 10-10-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't for a moment doubt that you are absolutely right about this - after all, you've got the first-hand experience, and I do not.

But how many of these people are simultaneously reporting or editorializing on soccer, while openly holding these inane opinions on the sport? Do we think Larsson, Cathal Kelly, or any of the other occasional/frequent TFC writers in this town are people who fundamentally don't respect soccer? Keep in mind the OP's "letter" was referring to negativity in our specific town's media. They've always struck me as people who respect and/or like soccer, but clearly have fair (or unfair) issues with TFC's version of it.

There's the odd article, or babble from an on-air talking head, that clearly doesn't respect soccer as a sport, but in my own own anecdotal experience, it's been a tiny minority. And our team tosses out so much legitimate dysfunctional red meat, that it might be hard to tell anyway. Bob McCown is the one person in Toronto most trot out as a prolific "soccer-hater" in the media, except even he has admitted more than once that he respects the sport - he just thinks TFC are an embarrassment, and jokes about the sport to rile up his listeners.

I think your assertion that there are a lot of sports writers in this country who don't respect or like soccer, is entirely compatible with what I'm saying, because I'd hazard to guess that most of those people don't write about soccer much (if ever), and probably aren't assigned to cover their local team. My issue is with the OP's argument, not yours.

If anyone can point to a significant, pernicious vein of disrespect for soccer in the collection of media that report on TFC, I'm all ears. I've read lots of boneheaded opinion columns over the years from people like Kelly, but nothing suggesting a more insidious and fundamental lack of respect for what they are covering.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 10-10-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    So true. In this year that was supposed to be a "no expectations" "rebuild" year the team has fired the guy that was brought in to "rebuild" the team, less than a year after he was hired. And they kept the player/coach that the fired guy went on a limb to hire himself.

The one "positive" of this year was the clearing of cap space. The guy who did it is gone.

LOL

It's ridiculous - at the same time, I don't think anyone would deny that TL should have had the right to bring in his "own" people. It's more unfortunate that these people were brought in months before MLSE's leadership was turned over.

I just want to see a coherent five year pla....ha, sorry. I couldn't finish that sentence.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

This sounds like Groundhog day.

I'm frustrated at the small expectations of this season and the fact they all seem to concentrate off the pitch. It's a lot of pressure for Jan. I disagree with this being same old, same old but it doesn't improve the present situation.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care if they brought in Ballotelli and Bale it still won't fix the cluster F that goes on in the back rooms and with FO .. TL needs to make this place a spot for talents to grow and prosper not wilt and die .. TFC has a dark cloud around it and until it is totally cleaned out nothing will change ..

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inheavensince07 View Post
    I don't care if they brought in Ballotelli and Bale it still won't fix the cluster F that goes on in the back rooms and with FO .. TL needs to make this place a spot for talents to grow and prosper not wilt and die .. TFC has a dark cloud around it and until it is totally cleaned out nothing will change ..
    There are 2 people that have been here from the start. That's it. Cleaning it out means replacing again. If you won't look for the change that has already happened you're going to have a hard time recognizing improvement.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is now 7 years since the formation of our Toronto FC.
    It has been 7 very eventful years.
    Once again my heartfelt gratitude to ML.S.E. for paying $40 million for the team to come here.
    As we all have seen they did not and still do not have a clue about how to run a Football Club.
    The next year will take us to the promised land x8.
    With all of the players through this organisation (154 and counting) we could have been a winning franchise.
    You cannot buy a winning attitude you have to have it.
    THAT IS WHAT IS LACKING!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we just need to give them more of our money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I think we just need to give them more of our money.
    I am sadly after 7 years giving up my two season tics.. we used to have 4 went to two and decided now to just give them the fuc up.. I will always follow them I just cannot hand them another dime even if jesus and paul newman and hitler come on in jan as the 3 Dp's promised ..