Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ bucket hat and Hawaiian shirt.....yep, I totally volunteer to be that guy.

Anyone know what's going on with the role of club President?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    As much as the fingerprints of the MLS are all over some key coaches and GM's in our past, it seems none of them had a clue how to set up and organize a football team from scratch. They simply float around different clubs and do the best they can. No one really got the time to work their way into understanding the culture or it was already an every man for himself, backstabbing environment that ensured dysfunction.

They need a hardened MLS coach that gets the roles needed and understands the structure we must have in order to build a competitive team.

It's great that the cap issues are largely behind us, I just hope the key holders that ownership are entrusting us to have the right people calling the shots. If not, it's anther 5 to 7 years of the same old crap.
    Exactly.

My point would be that you need soccer people who aren't the coach and GM who look after the best interests of your team and your team only. MLS head office doesn't cut it, they have their own agenda and have to worry about fairness as well as a whole bunch of other things. Having the GM or coach doesn't cut it either. If you want to know why look no further than the Hassli trade. That never would have happened in an organization with proper governance.

Hiring the best people has always been an issue here, but broader organizational strategy and continuity is by far the biggest failure. If we were a clothing manufacturer, in year 1 we would try and be The Gap, in year two we'd try to be Armani, and in year 3 we'd be Mark's Work Wearhouse. It's incredibly asinine to hire managers that have radically different philosophies every time and try to change the direction of the organization. The problem isn't always the strategy, it's often who's trying to implement it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can blame most the issues with TFC on Mr. Anselmi. To be fair to him however he was given the job with no experience in soccer, although it doesn't excuse him of the incompetence of the FO.

As for the president question I think TL is the guy, I don't think we will see anyone but an experienced coach with higher influence than him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget "Garber gave us Mo" or "Garber gave us Klinsman" or whatever.

The reason we are where we are is because Richard Peddie was allowed by Larry Tanenbaum and Teachers to put Tom Anselmi in charge of TFC because "it was a nice little job for him to learn stuff by".

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=htt...t-seat-feschuk

Someone like Leiweke is the correct response to this problem. I'm just doubtful that Leiweke himself is that guy. This is the type of individual I wish the new MLSE owners had hired.

http://www.soundersfc.com/news/artic...spx?print=true

Ever heard of this guy? Ever heard his views about the Sounders back line? Think that's a coincidence?
    Last edited by ensco; 10-07-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you ever hear that TL is hired to put an NFL team in Toronto. lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does it take to be the owner of an NFL team?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-nfl-franchise

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish people would get off this idea that Toronto will land an NFL team in the future. Too many hurdles to overcome, the big one being the lack of Canadian TV revenues needed to help cover for this team's presence. If Lieweke thinks he can pull this off then he's got a serious substance abuse problem.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I wish people would get off this idea that Toronto will land an NFL team in the future. Too many hurdles to overcome, the big one being the lack of Canadian TV revenues needed to help cover for this team's presence. If Lieweke thinks he can pull this off then he's got a serious substance abuse problem.
    this is a serious question: are you trying to tell me that toronotonians wouldn't get behind an NFL franchise, or that the owners of MLSE (rogers/bell) couldn't bring in a boatload of TV revenue?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    this is a serious question: are you trying to tell me that toronotonians wouldn't get behind an NFL franchise, or that the owners of MLSE (rogers/bell) couldn't bring in a boatload of TV revenue?
    NFL teams receive well over $100 million per year from the rights fees of U.S. networks. For a Canadian market like Toronto to get an NFL team, a Canadian network like CTV would have to fork out that much just for Toronto's share plus more than douple that amount to cover for any loss a U.S. network might face just for broadcasting a team in Toronto, so we're looking at $250 million annualy for one team from one network. That's well more than what CBC and TSN combined pay for national NHL rights in Canada and it towers over what TSN pays for CFL rights, both of whom would outdraw a Toronto NFL team. Is that well worth it?

And there's no guarantee any U.S. network would go along with that. They hate the idea of broadcasting national games involving Canadian teams. Remember how sick CBS felt having to broadcast the 92 and 93 World Series because the Blue Jays were involved? They have a lot of clout over the league.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    this is a serious question: are you trying to tell me that toronotonians wouldn't get behind an NFL franchise,....

Yup.

This is a hockey town. And a World Cup town. Anything else doesn't have the numbers.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NFL dream has never been closer and it's not just Toronto they look at as a fan base. Look at the BlueJays TV numbers across the country. That didn't happen overnight but that can happen in less than a decade. First the fans get to the one dream game in Toronto to see who they've supported up to that point and then slowly keep up with the Canadian team.

All this needs to happen at downs view. This media bullshit pressure to downtown and BMO talk is just pandering. The gridiron stadium should be at downsview. Space and the majority of fans come from outside the city and drive to the game. I don't drive but I've heard from you all how not awesome BMO is to get to in a car.

All this from a guy who fucking hates the concept of an NFL team in Toronto and have done for 20 years. I'd rather talk in realities, though, and deal with them. Minimize any detriment to my funtime.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The NFL dream has never been closer and it's not just Toronto they look at as a fan base. Look at the BlueJays TV numbers across the country. That didn't happen overnight but that can happen in less than a decade. First the fans get to the one dream game in Toronto to see who they've supported up to that point and then slowly keep up with the Canadian team.

All this needs to happen at downs view. This media bullshit pressure to downtown and BMO talk is just pandering. The gridiron stadium should be at downsview. Space and the majority of fans come from outside the city and drive to the game. I don't drive but I've heard from you all how not awesome BMO is to get to in a car.

All this from a guy who fucking hates the concept of an NFL team in Toronto and have done for 20 years. I'd rather talk in realities, though, and deal with them. Minimize any detriment to my funtime.
    What makes you say the NFL is any closer in Toronto now than ever before? The NFL is showing no signs of changing its rules on corporate ownership, is it? Is there a single owner talking about putting up the billion dollars for a team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    What makes you say the NFL is any closer in Toronto now than ever before? The NFL is showing no signs of changing its rules on corporate ownership, is it? Is there a single owner talking about putting up the billion dollars for a team?

I agree with Beach red .. The NFL is not looking for some cell phone ass clowns corp ownership to deal with

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    They have ways around the rules that will make them compliant. There is a pretty big single entity shareholder in MLSE that might be looking but pure speculation on my part. I would tend to think that the NFL experiment with the Bills makes the NFL look distant. They can't get a full crowd to that, god knows how they think a bigger stadium would fill up.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    They have ways around the rules that will make them compliant. There is a pretty big single entity shareholder in MLSE that might be looking but pure speculation on my part. I would tend to think that the NFL experiment with the Bills makes the NFL look distant. They can't get a full crowd to that, god knows how they think a bigger stadium would fill up.
    When was the last time the NFL allowed an ownership group to get around those rules? How many have tried to get a team in LA but not been able to? But you're right, the Bills experiment doesn't look good. And with Ted Rogers no longer the face of the ownership it looks even more distant.

This is from the Bleacher Report article:

It's not all about the money, though. You have to know the secret handshake.
    OK, there's not really a secret handshake. Probably.

There are, however, a number of hoops that a prospective owner has to jump through in order for the sale of a team to be approved by the league, as well as requirements any NFL team's owner must meet.
    The NFL makes potential owners meet quite a few more of these requirements than any of the other major sports. For example, any group looking to buy an NFL team must be led by a single individual who owns at least 30 percent of the team, although a family member can account for one-third of that stake.

The reason for that is to prevent large ownership groups, such as the one that recently bought the Los Angeles Dodgers for an eye-popping $2 billion-plus, from buying a team. The NFL wants each franchise led by a single "face," and the NFL gets what it wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree that renting Buffalo is as close as Toronto is going to get to NFL. To say that US TV has clout with NFL is the understatement of the year. The continued vacancy of Los Angeles as a NFL market has to be NFL priority number 1. Tiny markets such as Buffalo and Jacksonville might be targets for purchase/relocation (to LA or ??). Canadian teams on US tv drive down US ratings. TL can't change that...MLSE wants revenue from NHL playoffs and see Raptors as winners a potential cash bonus. If TL were NFL determined he would have stayed in California...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with Bills in Toronto is that MLSE reverted to Leafs mode in their promotion and pricing. Their sell to fans was basically "it's the NFL!" and they did little else. There was no tailgating and what was available in terms of game day festivities was crap. Tickets were horrendously overpriced for what was offered. When I looked at pricing with friends, we all laughed because we realized that for what we were going to pay to watch the game here we could hire a limo to drive us to buffo and buy better tickets for far less.

By the time they ran that racket once, the word was already out that it was crap and it wasn't a real NFL-like experience. People sat on their money and MLSE looked foolish. It really underscores how poorly run the organization was pre-bogers takeover. They didn't even understand their own market enough to realize how people would react.

I tend to believe that with a real stadium and an actual local team, you would get traction. Average ticket prices would still be horrendous but people would suck it up. I still am at a loss for who would actually pay the franchise fee for this team though. Other than the Thompson family or the Westons, I don't see any suitable candidates. Neither of those names have expressed interest as far as I tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The problem with Bills in Toronto is that MLSE reverted to Leafs mode in their promotion and pricing. Their sell to fans was basically "it's the NFL!" and they did little else. There was no tailgating and what was available in terms of game day festivities was crap. Tickets were horrendously overpriced for what was offered. When I looked at pricing with friends, we all laughed because we realized that for what we were going to pay to watch the game here we could hire a limo to drive us to buffo and buy better tickets for far less.

By the time they ran that racket once, the word was already out that it was crap and it wasn't a real NFL-like experience. People sat on their money and MLSE looked foolish. It really underscores how poorly run the organization was pre-bogers takeover. They didn't even understand their own market enough to realize how people would react.

I tend to believe that with a real stadium and an actual local team, you would get traction. Average ticket prices would still be horrendous but people would suck it up. I still am at a loss for who would actually pay the franchise fee for this team though. Other than the Thompson family or the Westons, I don't see any suitable candidates. Neither of those names have expressed interest as far as I tell.
    This is exactly the issue with Bills in Toronto... a couple years ago me and 6-8 friends from school decide to go to an NFL game. It was cheaper to get on a party bus that included pick up, drop off, pre game food/beer/tailgating experience, and our ticket. Why would anyone ever go in toronto when you can do it cheaper and better in buffalo?

For a team to be successful you need a large plot of land, decent stadium, and a change in the ontario laws to allow tailgating. Half the fun of going to an NFL game is all the pregame festivities and what they do in toronto for the bills simply isnt it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I can appreciate that from the way the marketing was handled you would assume this was an MLSE exercise, but Bills in Toronto was in fact brought to us courtesy of Rogers Communications. I'd say you pretty much have it nailed otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we were talking football not football.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Feels weird posting on this board again, haha. As for the NFL in Toronto, agreed that it's still a pipedream. And in any event, it wouldn't change my allegiance anyway, so I don't care if it ever happens. As for the main topic of discussion - I've never felt as much apathy towards this club as I have over the last month or so. I will see what happens in 2014, but that could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me if there is no improvement. I have to say, the names I've heard linked with our DPs don't inspire me with confidence.