Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Somebody on here called Payne's firing over a week in advance

I can't remember who it was, but before the board went offline someone speculated that Kevin Payne's days were numbered if he wasn't already gone. Much of this was based on his recent failures and his absence from the supporters meeting. At the time I thought such as assessment was jumping the gun, but you were right on the money.

This past month has been a bit of a drag. I've been forced to read Cathal Kelly and reddit for TFC news and it's been a rough go, indeed.

So good on you, whoever you were.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I can't remember who it was, but before the board went offline someone speculated that Kevin Payne's days were numbered if he wasn't already gone. Much of this was based on his recent failures and his absence from the supporters meeting. At the time I thought such as assessment was jumping the gun, but you were right on the money.

This past month has been a bit of a drag. I've been forced to read Cathal Kelly and reddit for TFC news and it's been a rough go, indeed.

So good on you, whoever you were.
    I think it was ensco

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was ensco I believe.

It was after Lieweke wouldn't answer any questions about Payne at the RPB meeting, so it brought a lot of thoughts in our heads that we figured something was up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was ensco. In in fact, many accused him of being a conspiracy theorist and generally gave him a hard time. I think that was the same thread that he pulled out this zinger..."When I'm gone the capitalists will drown you like kittens".
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    ...."When I'm gone the capitalists will drown you like kittens".
    Was that before the Columbus game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on Enesco.

Yeah I think a lot of people called it. I did at the meeting to Coach and A few others only to be dismissed.

It's was pretty obvious just by his way of saying that he wasn't there and with no explanation I knew it was going to happen.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, just thinking about something that may not have been brought up before. But I wonder if Payne's departure was prompted by him passing up on the chance to acquire Clint Dempsey? You guys remember that? Remember how we were in the bidding for Dempsey but Payne opted to look elsewhere? Could it be that Leiweke -and possibly Nelsen, were upset enough with that decision and that's the main reason to get rid of him?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    It was ensco. In in fact, many accused him of being a conspiracy theorist and generally gave him a hard time. I think that was the same thread that he pulled out this zinger..."When I'm gone the capitalists will drown you like kittens".

I did. I gave him a hard time and it had nothing to do with him posting that Payne would be gone. Nothing. But he was the first to post this attitude on the forum.

As they say..."First"
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Hey guys, just thinking about something that may not have been brought up before. But I wonder if Payne's departure was prompted by him passing up on the chance to acquire Clint Dempsey? You guys remember that? Remember how we were in the bidding for Dempsey but Payne opted to look elsewhere? Could it be that Leiweke -and possibly Nelsen, were upset enough with that decision and that's the main reason to get rid of him?
    The league. Not that you'd get that in print. The league wanted a Cpt. America on an American team (who wasn't doing too poorly either.)
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not to take credit away from Nostradensco, but pretty much all TFC activity (hirings, firings, whatnot) has been 'predicted' at some point by someone.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ensco was always critical of the relationship between TL and KP. It was a good call. Its funny how in early July TL was backing KP 100% and seemed to be a little hesitant on Ryan Nelsen. Fast forward 2 months and its reversed.

It was very clear that Kevin not being at that meet and greet put the writing on the walls. Tim had hinted it to me but never out right said Kevin would go.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    Nostradensco
    That is funny. Thank you!

Seriously, quite a few people noted Payne's absence from the supporters event and wondered what it meant. I was just louder and more certain than most.

I am actually often wrong, but never in doubt!!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Good on Enesco.

Yeah I think a lot of people called it. I did at the meeting to Coach and A few others only to be dismissed.

It's was pretty obvious just by his way of saying that he wasn't there and with no explanation I knew it was going to happen.
    My take at the meeting was he was gone too. I didn't post it, except in some notes I made about the meeting.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That is funny. Thank you!

Seriously, quite a few people noted Payne's absence from the supporters event and wondered what it meant. I was just louder and more certain than most.

I am actually often wrong, but never in doubt!!
    That is probably the funniest phrase I will ever hear someone say.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    My take at the meeting was he was gone too. I didn't post it, except in some notes I made about the meeting.
    Wasn't pointing at you Coach! Hehehe

I'm pretty sure we all knew it but I guess some guys just couldn't believe it at the time.