mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morning D!

A few thoughts...
    - Handcuffing whatever GM is brought in with Nelsen is a massive mistake and will set the next restart even further behind
    - Italian DP's? I hope it's Maldini coming out of retirement.
    - Bring on the Argos, at least we'll see some W's for the home team at BMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke certainly knows how to make headlines...

-He fires Payne after a 9 month tenure
    -He announces that he intends to saddle the next GM with the incumbent coach
    -He entertains the notion of the Argos moving to BMO Field
    -He makes bold proclamations regarding marquee DP players that the club intends to target in the immediate future, despite the PR disaster during the recent transfer window

In my opinion, Leiweke has a long way to go in order to live up to his exalted reputation.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    Morning D!

A few thoughts...
    - Handcuffing whatever GM is brought in with Nelsen is a massive mistake and will set the next restart even further behind
    - Italian DP's? I hope it's Maldini coming out of retirement.
    - Bring on the Argos, at least we'll see some W's for the home team at BMO

This has come up a few times already and I don't agree with it.
    It would be insane to bring in a GM who would have more control over the team than the manager in this situation.

I see this being a "Bruce Arena" type appointment for Nelsen. He will essentially be GM/Manager - the soccer guy if you will. They will bring in someone to be the business guy - the President, who will oversee the non-football side of things. So Nelsen can focus on football and this new guy can deal with the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    It would be insane to bring in a GM who would have more control over the team than the manager in this situation.

I see this being a "Bruce Arena" type appointment for Nelsen. He will essentially be GM/Manager - the soccer guy if you will. They will bring in someone to be the business guy - the President, who will oversee the non-football side of things. So Nelsen can focus on football and this new guy can deal with the money.
    I personally have always liked that model above. You need your Manager/Coach selecting his targets, who he wants, and what he wants - you just need someone (aka the 'General Manager') to go out there and make it happen...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see TFC is still its old self. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I personally have always liked that model above. You need your Manager/Coach selecting his targets, who he wants, and what he wants - you just need someone (aka the 'General Manager') to go out there and make it happen...
    Well - we've had 7..8? years of the old system. Maybe it's time to try this one out. I mean it works for the most successful teams in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah,there are tons of examples of Directors of Football who didn't choose their on-field manager. There seems to be some assumption that no two people can work together unless they choose each other. That's crap.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah,there are tons of examples of Directors of Football who didn't choose their on-field manager. There seems to be some assumption that no two people can work together unless they choose each other. That's crap.
    LIsten to this interview starting around the 11:30 mark:
    http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/0...ptember-5-2013

Leiweke essentially lays out the type of person they are looking for.
    And it all points to a business guy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIsten to this interview starting around the 11:30 mark:
    http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/0...ptember-5-2013

Leiweke essentially lays out the type of person they are looking for.
    And it all points to a business guy.
    Lagerway fits perfectly. A lawyer with a footy background, doesn't choose the players for Kreis, just gets the deals done.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a capologist they are after. A guy that will be told who to get and work out how to fit him under the salary cap.

Still Tim painted himself into a corner on it all.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Its a capologist they are after. A guy that will be told who to get and work out how to fit him under the salary cap.

Still Tim painted himself into a corner on it all.
    Basically what Mariner was suppose to be.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically what Mariner was suppose to be.
    More like Earl IMO. Big question I had pondered after talking with some TFC people....did Mariner have any experience dealing with player contracts and aquisition? Evidence suggests he was in the deep end on that at least as far a a cap restricted MLS side is concerned.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if Leiweke is able to get Garth Lagerway as GM, but Lagerway said he'd only take the GM job if he could bring over Jason Kreis as coach? Is Leiweke really going to let Lagerway walk away over Ryan Nelsen? Same would apply to any potential GM who wanted to hire the coach. Is Leiweke really prepared to lose out on a quality GM candidate over Nelsen?

If so, I find that staggering. With all due respect to Ryan, we're not talking about Pep Guardiola here - we're talking about a rookie coach with four wins in 26 games.

Just my two cents.

John Molinaro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    What if Leiweke is able to get Garth Lagerway as GM, but Lagerway said he'd only take the GM job if he could bring over Jason Kreis as coach? Is Leiweke really going to let Lagerway walk away over Ryan Nelsen? Same would apply to any potential GM who wanted to hire the coach. Is Leiweke really prepared to lose out on a quality GM candidate over Nelsen?

If so, I find that staggering. With all due respect to Ryan, we're not talking about Pep Guardiola here - we're talking about a rookie coach with four wins in 26 games.

Just my two cents.

John Molinaro
    Is soccer some completely unique social institution in which two people who don't know each other cannot come in and work together collaboratively? Happens in every other field of work. All over the world Directors of Football work with managers not of their choosing (Baldini and Villas-Boas being a pretty good example of one working well).

To flip your example around, if Lagerway was offered more money to come work for a big pocket organization in a big world class city and a club with tons of unmet upside, would he decline because he has to work with some coach with top level soccer experience that most say is pretty good guy?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

*earworm*

if you're Lagerwey - Lagerwey
    Lagerwey - Lagerwey
    I will follow...

a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is soccer some completely unique social institution in which two people who don't know each other cannot come in and work together collaboratively? Happens in every other field of work. All over the world Directors of Football work with managers not of their choosing (Baldini and Villas-Boas being a pretty good example of one working well).

To flip your example around, if Lagerway was offered more money to come work for a big pocket organization in a big world class city and a club with tons of unmet upside, would he decline because he has to work with some coach with top level soccer experience that most say is pretty good guy?
    I didn't mean to suggest they couldn't work together. They could. But what if retaining Nelsen was a deal breaker for any potential GM target? All I'm saying is this: is TL really going to take a pass on a quality GM candidate over Nelsen? If so, I find that staggering.

If by a "pretty good guy" you're referring to Nelsen's ability as a coach, I would respectfully disagree with that assessment. I don't think he should have been hired in the first place and is not the coach to turn this team around on the field.

Again, just my opinion, though. I hope Nelsen proves me 100 per cent wrong.

John
    Last edited by johnmolinaro; 09-06-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my two cents.

John Molinaro
    Agreed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Good to see TFC is still its old self. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.
    Someone at work once said in response to "one step forward, two steps back" with "maybe you should turn around".
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my two cents.

John Molinaro
    Agreed - Nelsen will be Tim's coach, until he's not. It is in the team's interest for Tim to publicly support Nelson, until a replacement is locked in. Nelsen's days are numbered - Tim will just slither away from his "coach in 2014" endorsement at the appropriate time - this is one of the clear differences between a marketing guy and Kevin Payne. If they can't entice a good experienced coach to TFC, they will just use Ryan as a whipping boy when their reset of the organization falls flat. (This is straight from the MoJo handbook, see page 1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no way Garber and the MLS execs would allow both Lagerway and Kreis to walk away from Real Salt Lake at the same time. That would gut RSL's programme at a time when MLS desperately wants quality sides, not to mention their supporter groups would be ready to go to war over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Nelson is an awful coach, but maybe the thinking is that they want to maintain some small degree of stability during this transition phase? Surely he'll be fired in the off-season or when a new GM is hired?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    There's no way Garber and the MLS execs would allow both Lagerway and Kreis to walk away from Real Salt Lake at the same time. That would gut RSL's programme at a time when MLS desperately wants quality sides, not to mention their supporter groups would be ready to go to war over it.
    Fair enough, and I just threw that out as an example. But my point remains this: Is Leiweke really prepared to lose out on a quality GM candidate over Nelsen?

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my two cents.

John Molinaro
    As you discussed on The Soccer Show last night ... and I'd say no but but at this moment he can't really throw Nelsen under the bus if he wants him to finish the season. In reality he may be a lame duck but you can't say that in public.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mean to suggest they couldn't work together. They could. But what if retaining Nelsen was a deal breaker for any potential GM target? All I'm saying is this: is TL really going to take a pass on a quality GM candidate over Nelsen? If so, I find that staggering.

If by a "pretty good guy" you're referring to Nelsen's ability as a coach, I would respectfully disagree with that assessment. I don't think he should have been hired in the first place and is not the coach to turn this team around on the field.

Again, just my opinion, though. I hope Nelsen proves me 100 per cent wrong.

John
    My point really is that putting a GM (or Director of Football) and coach who didn't choose each other together happens all over the place, and I think is over rated as an issue. In the hiring, I would think they would look for personality traits that would allow all three to work together well. I mean, Chelsea essentially has a GM, with an owner that, let's face it, has the final say in everything. Yet they keep going.

By "good guy" I simple mean that people seem to like and respect him. You're way closer to the day to day than any of us. If you really don't think he's a good coach, that worries me. I'm not a fan of his tactics personally, but will concede they do have a place. But if it's more than that, that's not good. I guess the question then would be who makes the decision on the coach, and at one point does Nelsen's guarantee run out?

Anyone interviewed ought to be asked if they are prepared to stick with Nelsen, and are they prepared to work with a CEO that will have his fingerprints all over the team, and will get involved. If they aren't prepared to handle that then, yeah, I think they pass on that person. Even if it is Lagerway or anyone else that has a good reputation in the league.
    Last edited by Canary10; 09-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Anselmi has QUIT!!! YEAH!
    I never knew if this guy was just a completely incompetent corporate whore,
    or just a corporate whore who didn't know what he was doing.
    Next to Richard (dick) Peddie, he was THE face of the hopeless era of MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, perhaps, but none the less, if we are taking the view that Payne shouldn't be here long term I don't see the need to wait to find out whether Ryan Nelsen become a good manager or not.

Also, it's pretty common that when you bring in a new hire they want their own people. That's part of the package and usually a negotiation tool. Yes, people often work with others but it's unlikely that having less flexibility under those who work under you is considered a positive.

Really, what is more important: protecting an inexperienced and unproven coach or getting the best hire possible?
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-06-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tanenbaum has no power anymore. If Rogers and Bell continue to work together he doesn't have the deciding vote on the board.
    Last edited by Richard; 09-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Think you mean tanenbaum