Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Payne is out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    The PAYNE is gone for now,i don't see RN back next season,new gm new coach..
    AND mew players, NO?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the plus side he fixed the cap. It was clear from that meeting though that this was where things would go. He was very harsh about the player moves and lack there of. I bet more changes are coming...

Watching the whole Forlan thing and knowing the panic going on was pretty nerve wrenching this whole window, I would have figured a year though.

Season is done, start fixing it now...
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Yet another failed rebuild.
    Unfair to Payne. Give it an I for incomplete as opposed to the F for failure.

We'll leave without ever truly knowing what he was capable of. It was a mixed year IMO, but nothing that warranted a firing.

Just two big heads that couldn't fit in the same room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    The Serie A comments were really revealing. MLSE must look at the crowds that come in with the Galaxy and Red Bull games, (and even the non-TFC Totti crowd for AS Roma) and say if we had a marquee player we'd have that for every game. Bringing in a big name DP to simply sell tickets isn't going to bring us much closer to the playoffs.
    I found those comments interesting too. I wonder who they considered?

As for the big name DP...that all depends on who. It doesn't have to be a guy brought in only to sell tickets.

Look at DiVaio in Montreal. Many would argue he is not a big name but if TFC had done what Montreal has done the place would be rocking again. Both because of the "names" and the results.

I'd imagine that's TL's vision. It obviously wasn't Payne's.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely Nelsen stays around for next season. I didn't like the hire, but now he has a year of experience to build on and he represents the only real shot at any stability between this year and next year.

I was thinking back to pre season one when we were all guessing at how long it would take TFC to make it into the playoffs or win the league. I think the most skeptical at the time was Rudi. If my memory serves me correctly he figured about 5 seasons. Even the most pessimist amongst us has to be shocked at how this club sits 7 years in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nine months is way too early to fire a GM. Especially a GM that was handled the pile of rubbish that Payne was.

I wasn't hugely enamoured with the job he was doing, but nine months? Are TL et al. not sensitive to how that looks, given the merry-go-round we've had to date?

Can't wait to hear the explanations for why this was done.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"One of the early favourites to assume control is Real Salt Lake GM Garth Lagerwey, a young executive (40) noted for fielding competitive teams on a tight budget."

I can only pray this is true and not wild speculation. Now that being said, short of offering the guy a small mint, I doubt he leaves RSL for a team that takes dysfunction to an all-world level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Kelly article is just packed with "facts" that have been so bungled it's impossible to tell what the true story is that it was based on. For example, how does signing Forlan to a 2.5 year contract half way through the season make him expire mid season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disaster, disaster, disaster.

Seriously, this club makes me sick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    "One of the early favourites to assume control is Real Salt Lake GM Garth Lagerwey, a young executive (40) noted for fielding competitive teams on a tight budget."

I can only pray this is true and not wild speculation. Now that being said, short of offering the guy a small mint, I doubt he leaves RSL for a team that takes dysfunction to an all-world level.
    Offering him a huge raise is pretty much a given.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Offering him a huge raise is pretty much a given.

- Scott
    and a budget to sign big name DP, which he can't do in RSL. the guy may also be looking for a new challenge. Dude is only 40, but he's been with RSL since 2007
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm okay with this. I had the impression last week that Payne was in the bad books for simply not executing. Several DP targets, big promises and a serious lack of performance. Add to that a very clear lack of alignment with Lieweke's thoughts about supporters (Lieweke has a healthy respect for all supporters, something that has been very clear in my handful of discussions with him) that may have had an exclamation point put on it by the "get used to it" comment. I can't see that going over well with Lieweke at all.

There were a few hints throughout the meeting that there were issues. Nelsen was clearly not amongst them.

My few minutes speaking to Nelsen convinced me that he understands what is going on and has thoughts about fixing it. I now wonder how many of his post game comments, the ones that made me question what he was seeing on the field, were influenced by Payne's rose colored views of the team.

I'm happier now about the overall direction than I was a few weeks ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    That Kelly article is just packed with "facts" that have been so bungled it's impossible to tell what the true story is that it was based on. For example, how does signing Forlan to a 2.5 year contract half way through the season make him expire mid season?

Maybe my comprehension of the article in my first read is off but he explained that Forlan wouldn't agree to come until the winter and also wanted a 2-1/2 year deal which would mean he could leave mid season, presumably to find a new team in S.A. or Europe if things didn't work out without losing any time in between?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think Nelsen is fine (maybe even great). I continue to support Payne. It's Leiweke that has my back up.

Leiweke should not have done that event without Payne there. Or he should fire Payne.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm bolding this for future reference.

BAM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    -So who's going to fire the guy who hired Payne before Leiweke?
    I don't see Garber firing himself.

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Unfair to Payne. Give it an I for incomplete as opposed to the F for failure.

We'll leave without ever truly knowing what he was capable of. It was a mixed year IMO, but nothing that warranted a firing.

Just two big heads that couldn't fit in the same room.
    I agree, I just meant as a club, it's another rebuild that didn't work out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan Nelsen Out
    Aron Winter Back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to imagine that the new GM will keep Nelsen. Or, if TL tells him he must, then it's a roll of the dice if the GM and the coach can work together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

... To be honest though...I think what needs to be done is a true house cleaning by TL...
    It is pretty sad when Paul Beirne and coffee fetcher Cochrane still remain with us - a bit like cockroaches you just can't get rid of them... Payne should have cleaned up and he didn't - he paid the price...

My question is: How much time are you giving Timmie? I was going to start drawing conclusions next spring, with final judgement mid next year... Funny, but at this point, I don't want to give Timmie as much time... Doing a reset now just doesn't impress me - He better be impressing me with a hot team in March 2014... He better start pulling a bunch of rabbits out of his hat soon... I am out of patience with this latest move...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I agree, I just meant as a club, it's another rebuild that didn't work out.
    We may not have a full scale burn it down and start over ala Winter & Mariner. This squad at least has a few decent pieces. If all of what is written is true then I agree with Nelsen's comments about needing to sprinkle a few quality young players and DPs in to enhance the squad. Unless of course they do get Lagerwey and he has his own new plan and isn't interested in seeing what Nelsen can manage in year 2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Ryan Nelsen Out
    Aron Winter Back!
    This is a joke right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Thank you.

Kelly was just saying "See, he's crap!", which he'll say about Nelsen and the next guy etc. etc. etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwell View Post
    Hard to imagine that the new GM will keep Nelsen. Or, if TL tells him he must, then it's a roll of the dice if the GM and the coach can work together.
    If Nelsen can grab these few players and start winning right off the bat next season then it'd make working together much easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if we will see a difference with RN tactically after this move?

It's always been rumored that KP kept a tight leash on his teams and this team played very DCU circa 2005 at times (minus the winning).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he was saying the wrong things about paying customers (get used to it), players (if you started the season, you won't be around to finish it), and his boss (high-priced DPs are not the way to build a team, or thoughts to that effect), then it was only a matter of time before he was let go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    I was thinking back to pre season one when we were all guessing at how long it would take TFC to make it into the playoffs or win the league. I think the most skeptical at the time was Rudi. If my memory serves me correctly he figured about 5 seasons. Even the most pessimist amongst us has to be shocked at how this club sits 7 years in.
    I was so young and optimistic then.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random thoughts:

Shocked

I think of hopefully, watching Laba and Urruti and Caldwell and Osorio and Bendik next season and will thank KP for his work.

I was a strong supporter of KP's and what he was doing to move forward. But I'm a TFC supporter first and foremost.

Lets see who is brought in to do what next season.

Its a good base.

Many many people said KP and Lieweke were not on the same page. I get the feeling Nelsen and Lieweke are. Gosh I hope so otherwise we will not be competitive until 2016.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-04-2013 at 06:38 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me, two days ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    So, just out of curiosity, how's this going to make TFC look if Payne leaves or is forced to walk the plank so soon? Does anybody think ML$E can look Don Garber and the MLS front office in the eyes and explain to them how a very prominent soccer boss that the league hand deliever to them was seen leaving Toronto carrying a box full of his stuff from the office? Because if that does happen, then woe be unto ML$E for whatever hell Garber will unleash upon them.
    Hope you're all wearing teflon underwear when the Don gives you the blowdryer of fire treatment, ML$E douchebags!

Now, just what the fuck makes anyone think Garth Lagerwey is going to up and leave RSL for the God Damn shitshow that is Toronto FC? There is absolutly no fucking stability at all within this franchise! This is a fucking elephant's graveyard where reputations go to die! This isn't about the team at all! It's about Tim Leiweke's ego that needs to be satisfied! Just how much fucking longer do we have to put up with the garbage hat gets plopped on our laps, huh? This is without question the most absolute worst franchise in MLS history, if not North American sports!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Me, two days ago:

Hope you're all wearing teflon underwear when the Don gives you the blowdryer of fire treatment, ML$E douchebags!

Now, just what the fuck makes anyone think Garth Lagerwey is going to up and leave RSL for the God Damn shitshow that is Toronto FC? There is absolutly no fucking stability at all within this franchise! This is a fucking elephant's graveyard where reputations go to die! This isn't about the team at all! It's about Tim Leiweke's ego that needs to be satisfied! Just how much fucking longer do we have to put up with the garbage hat gets plopped on our laps, huh? This is without question the most absolute worst franchise in MLS history, if not North American sports!
    I honestly think you are underestimating how much of an influence Leiweke and the money MLSE brings within the MLS. If Leiweke goes to Lagerwey, It will be with two bucketfulls of cash, one for his contract, and one to play with. Lagerwey has always had to work with an extremely small budget in RSL, the Leiweke mold of big name and money DP's might be a interesting concept to him.

and lets be honest, do you not think some of these guys have the ego to think about how they will be spoken about if they are the one who turns around the worst franchise in league history?
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like how Phil Jackson came here because Leiweke showed him buckets full of cash? Nah. If TL doesn't have someone in mind then we are in for a world of hurt, good luck getting someone here.

We now have an over controlling ego maniac who just fired a reputable MLS executive after only 9 months. That is a new record for TFC and just when you thought we stopped making records.

TL may have the piz-zazz but TFC is a shit organization for anyone to walk into.
    Last edited by Richard; 09-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.