Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Payne is out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We weren't DOA, we got that flesh eating shit after almost making the playoffs in New York and failing hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LMAO. They knew it was coming. Now which thread had the tweet about season ticket holders not being asked to re-up until later than normal this year?..............

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And another one bites the dust.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't 9 months a new record for a GM....even for Toronto standards???

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was Payne international?
    couldnt way at least get allocation for him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Was Payne international?
    couldnt way at least get allocation for him?
    noooononono, this is standard for ML$E, provide a long term contract then completely change your mind.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TL is building a MLSE organization for the future. One thing that is happening is that the TFC Buisiness side of things is being shifted to within the MLSE infrastructure as opposed to being seperate as they have been for the first 7 years. This means the new president will also be the GM with his sole responsibilities being on the soccer side of things. This is exactly the same as it is for the Leafs and Raptors. Kevin was in a unique situation where the buisiness side of the operation also reported directly to him ie Paul Beirne, marketing, sales, etc. This will not be the case anymore moving forward.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Hey looks like ensco was right.
    Well geez, not only ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha. You said it too jloome.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

After the meeting I figured Payne might be a dead man walking, but wow! What does doing this now accomplish? 8 managers in 7 seasons, and our first president doesn't even last a full year. Wow, this club...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another failed rebuild.

The positive is we're now starting from a decent enough position, rather than the gigantic clusterfuck Payne had to manage.

If I'm Nelsen I'm nervous. His job is on the line next year (more so than if Payne were still around).

There are some things I was really impressed by with Payne, and some things he seemed to mess up pretty badly. I'm indifferent for now I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    I'm actually happy about this!
    Agreed. I could certainly argue Nelsen is doing reasonably well with the pieces he has, but I couldn't argue the same of Payne. He's fixed some obvious issues, yes, but he's also crapped out on all fronts except Laba, really, in terms of bringing in fresh talent. Caldwell was probably a Nelsen additiion, Urutti and Rey haven't played yet really, and no DP after two windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ain't even mad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fact, I'd argue that last game, where we had some comprehensive flow to our game, probably showed Lieweke that Nelsen can coach a little. He needs better pieces to coach.

That's not saying he's a good coach yet or anything; the jury's still out, and tactically I'm not sure I like the style much. But without an AM who can open up defences, without decent wingers (not sure either convey or rey are starter quality), without our DP striker ever playing ... that's asking a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around 4:20 today I was rushing to catch my go train and practically ran into Kevin Payne coming out of the Air Canada Centre. He was clearly not in a good mood and I actually had the thought that maybe he was fired. I also passed Mariner on Spadina hours before he was fired. Seems to be a pattern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Yet another failed rebuild.

The positive is we're now starting from a decent enough position, rather than the gigantic clusterfuck Payne had to manage.

If I'm Nelsen I'm nervous. His job is on the line next year (more so than if Payne were still around).

There are some things I was really impressed by with Payne, and some things he seemed to mess up pretty badly. I'm indifferent for now I guess.
    Interesting that this came so soon after Urutti and the close of the window. We have this young player Payne touted for months and clearly there are issue, as he's hardly playing. Same with Rey. Maybe Nelsen didn't even get a look until they got here and then said "we spent months chasing this?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Interesting that this came so soon after Urutti and the close of the window. We have this young player Payne touted for months and clearly there are issue, as he's hardly playing. Same with Rey. Maybe Nelsen didn't even get a look until they got here and then said "we spent months chasing this?"
    I seriously doubt a player from a championship team like Newell's Old Boys is bad. He is not fit for sure but common.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TL and KP were at odds, then this had to happen at some point. Now is the time to start looking to next year, if anything we may have a head start on bringing in the people TL wants to finally put this team on course.
    But this does nothing to improve our reputation in the league. And who knows what they plan to sell people over the next month as renewal season begins.
    The Serie A comments were really revealing. MLSE must look at the crowds that come in with the Galaxy and Red Bull games, (and even the non-TFC Totti crowd for AS Roma) and say if we had a marquee player we'd have that for every game. Bringing in a big name DP to simply sell tickets isn't going to bring us much closer to the playoffs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Interesting observation. Maybe buy I think Rey looked decent at least in his couple of minutes. Not $200K decent but alright.

This whole deal is a mess. I wouldn't count on Nelsen lasting too long especially if we pry Lagerway from RSL. I would assume he'd want his own guy and I am sure Lieweke really wants a bigger name guy despite what he said recently. On the plus side, at least the cap is in order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payne's salary cap nightmare was a bit of a snow job I think. This team has always been up against the cap, and yet have been able to turn the squad over every year....I wasn't buying that BS. That's just an excuse for; I came into shit and look at the great job I did cleaning it up. The real measure was in the quality of talent brought in. Big fan of Laba and hope he sticks around for years to come, but there's not much else to show here. Urruti was in the middle of his season, and yet not fit to play? Our new left back Elmer has yet to see the pitch other than the Roma game, Rey's appearances have been spotty. Incredible to watch this organization work; I have no idea how the likes of Anselmi and others manage to keep their jobs!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I seriously doubt a player from a championship team like Newell's Old Boys is bad. He is not fit for sure but common.
    Mista used to be good too and Urruti didn't get many minutes for NOB. I haven't really seen enough of him to get a real idea yet. Hopefully this Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to bring back Mighty Mo.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the heck!?!

I get home from work and see this!?

I don't care how good Leiweke's resume is, this is just giving more fodder for players to want to have nothing to do with this club. Is stability some sort of anathema to this team?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The writing was on the wall when Payne was not at the RPB meeting with Leweike and Nelsen. More changes are on the way. I would like to see either LA Galaxy's Bruce Arena or RSL president Garth Lagerway.

Interesting stuff about Diego Forlan:

Weeks ago, Payne was in South America attempting to close the deal with Forlan when he was told to halt proceedings and return to Toronto.

Forlan’s wage demands were not the concern. He was seeking a $16.5 million package (which, at the time, would have made him far and away the highest-paid player in MLS).

The problem was the length of the agreement. Even as it became clear an agreement would not be reached during the mid-season transfer window, Forlan continued to demand a 2 ˝ year contract. This would have put TFC in a negotiating headlock as the deal expired halfway through the 2016 season.

Relations disintegrated entirely when word got back that Forlan’s agent had begun approaching other MLS clubs.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/20...yne_kelly.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The PAYNE is gone for now,i don't see RN back next season,new gm new coach..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holly shit, so much for stability!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we didn't have to wait in the off-season for drama. It has already started! Never a dull moment in TFC land.

Anyway, Leiweke is all about brand and big name players while KP tends to be more low key and less flashy. I guess difference in their philosophy of building a team is the reason why Payne is gone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show me the (allocation) money.....when I think of Payne I think of all the wheeling and dealing for allocation money. Thought it was going to add up to something big one day.... Mr. Allocation is how he will always be known to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Holly shit, so much for stability!
    Honestly, I think Payne did what he had to do with this club (get things in order), but in the long term, he wasn't a solution of building this team the way Leiweke wants to build this team.

I think this firing was too soon, but Leiweke either has a plan or he's getting desperate to show the fans that change is coming. Either way, I wonder if this will affect season ticket renewals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well well well... Few tidbits in the article.

-Nelsen must be one helluva salesman. Or gives excellent BJs.

-So who's going to fire the guy who hired Payne before Leiweke?

-Garth Lagerwey is probably the best GM in the league. That guy has nose for talent, and not afraid to make hard decisions.

-Apparently Leiweke fired KP's brother in LA in 2012. Bad blood?
    http://www.insidesocal.com/soccer/20...-as-aeg-reorg/
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano