Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Payne is out

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Ashes??? Dude, we're so far burnt down we're burning by the core of the earth...
    Ok....clean house and burrow through the core of the earth...like satan coming from hell? Better Carts?
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onstad might be paying for the Forlan information flow.

We better get a decent scouting team developed out of this. New guy has to work on that.

How is Bierne not let go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Banner?

Respect to NEE for doing this a couple years ago.
    When are we gonna start singing the 'Chumbawamba' classic 'Tubthumping' in the stands...???

We're more like that (a drunk guy getting knocked down, and getting back up again) than a Phoenix rising from the ashes...

:-)
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Onstad might be paying for the Forlan information flow.

We better get a decent scouting team developed out of this. New guy has to work on that.

How is Bierne not let go?
    well that report is saying there are rumours of others but that is all they can confirm as of tonight..... tomorrow might be a very interesting day!
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Ok....clean house and burrow through the core of the earth...like satan coming from hell? Better Carts?
    HELLS YEAH!

That would be awesome - or like DOOMSDAY from the Death of Superman storyline!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
    Where the hell is Rooney, Messie or Ronaldo??
    Is this a serious question?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Eckersley came in at the beginning of the Winter era. I'm comfortable with spending on O'Dea. Hall? He made $44,000 and only played in 7 games. I'm not going to read too much into that.

I'm not saying that Mariner was our saviour. I simply don't see that Payne/Nelsen was any better.
    Your comfort with the o'dea contract shows your bias. You are really comfortable with o'dea counting more against the cap than a DP? It has even been suggested in some reports that his salary approached $600k. No offence to O'dea, but that's just unacceptable for MLS. It shows a clear mismanagement of the cap issues.

Also, with regard to mariner's record, you point out that he had an inherited team. I will point out that the bulk of Mariner's wins came with the inherited team (first few games when he took over). As soon as mariner put his stamp on the team, their play and record spiralled.

Back to topic, no one seems to be discussing Kelly's point that a number if players were available during the transfer window but were ignored because KP had blinders on for 2 specific players. I think that's also kind of telling. Anyway, I think this move was readily apparent during the meeting so no big surprise. Nelsen got a lot of support, so his job is safe at least for now. And for the record I didn't have any pork, but the wings were really delicious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about trading our first round pick for Hassil? Andy Iro, dero for a bag of balls etc...

darren o'dea making 500k...
    excersely?? making 300k plus

terrible cap management and arguably the most useless GM and or coach. He lived off his days as a player...

plus he is a backstabbing drunk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And there you have it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy with it!

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I feel if people consider how other teams sign and find players, it was obvious Payne wasn't the guy.

They're all suits. That's not the point. I don't care if Lieweke is shit at everything if he does one thing well: hire good people. Really, that's all the guy at the top has to do. Hire good people and then collect the plaudits.

LA has done pretty well lately. That happened because Lieweke hired the right people after shit-canning Beckham's management group from having any role. He got it together there. I suspect that whether he has the right person in the wings already or not, he will find that person by doing what MLSE has failed to do in the past: keep it simple. hire someone with RECENT and continuing success, then pay them more than they could get wherever they are now.

It's how top clubs have done it for time immemorial and he knows he has that financial base in Toronto.

I'm not saying he doesn't have to follow this up by proving himself. But I'm pretty sure Payne was the wrong guy. Still not sure on Nelsen, but any time one major component of a machine isn't working, you take it out, replace it, run the thing again and see how it takes. Right now, I guess I'm the only guy happy with it. (Chevy, you sound like you might be down with this; V00d00?). Ah well. I've been wrong before and will be again.*

*Several times before you finish the usual rambling post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So CSN is reporting that Onstad and Cochrane are both going to be fired as well?! Hopefully there's more heads rolling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
    We talked about this eh, -- Inevitable!

Was never impressed by Payne, although I like what he's done with the cap; Leiweke is a suit, he'll will churn people until they get results.

Lets not forget that Leiweke had a revolving door for coaches at LAG before he settled on Arena:
    Steve Sampson; Frank Yallop; Ruud Gullit.

My guess on a couple of names on Leiweke's short list: Dave Sarachan; Peter Wilt.

Side note, unrelated, but ... week 1 of NCAA season in the books, no sign of TFC at Indiana, which hosted Notre Dame & UCLA,
    15 other MLS teams were present and accounted for.
    I know! That escalated more quickly than expected.

Peter Wilt on the shortlist? Wow, talk about return from exile. Not sure how I'd feel about that other than he'd be a great person to improve the rapport between the club and the supporters. Dave Sarachan sounds interesting, but I'd rather poach someone else's experienced GM. Maybe Oscar Pareja can be convinced to jump ship yet again. That's how you do a damn rebuild.

Sad that nobody from TFC took in the game. Looking at this years draft it seems that some teams have NCAA scouting down and some don't. Some teams picked up multiple players and others just let usable assets slip through their hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    So CSN is reporting that Onstad and Cochrane are both going to be fired as well?! Hopefully there's more heads rolling.
    Now here is a move that finally makes some sense. How Earl was allowed to continue with this organization I will never know, but the Teflon man finally went down in flames.

Somewhere, JDG is making memes to celebrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Now here is a move that finally makes some sense. How Earl was allowed to continue with this organization I will never know, but the Teflon man finally went down in flames.

Yeah, it's amazing how long Cochrane manage to survive in management. I wonder if Paul B is next to be let go.

What's going to happen with coaching staff? I highly doubt guys like Jimmy B who don't really have anything speical to offer is going to survive under Lewieke. Maybe Nelsen will be gone in the off-season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...n-social-media

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know! That escalated more quickly than expected.

Peter Wilt on the shortlist? Wow, talk about return from exile. Not sure how I'd feel about that other than he'd be a great person to improve the rapport between the club and the supporters. Dave Sarachan sounds interesting, but I'd rather poach someone else's experienced GM. Maybe Oscar Pareja can be convinced to jump ship yet again. That's how you do a damn rebuild.

Sad that nobody from TFC took in the game. Looking at this years draft it seems that some teams have NCAA scouting down and some don't. Some teams picked up multiple players and others just let usable assets slip through their hands.
    Isn't Wilt doing stuff with Indy NASL team?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interwebz saying Kreis and Lagerway are both in the final years of their contracts

Anybody have a goat we can sacrifice? Edit: it appears Kreis is out of contract but Lagerway has one year left.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-04-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I predicted Onstad back on page four, lol. He's cleaning house. I think he probably likes Nelsen's leadership and attitude, so there's nothing to be gained by firing him now. If the new man isn't impressed, he'll do the dirty work for Lieweke before the next season starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interwebz saying Kreis and Lagerway are both in the final years of their contracts

Anybody have a goat we can sacrifice? Edit: it appears Kreis is out of contract but Lagerway has one year left.
    I'd say sacrifice an effigy of Mo, Preki, Winter and Mariner to get rid of the rotten stench TFC is in thanks to them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Lagerway he wants, I imagine. He turned over Olave and the (admittedly overrated) Espindola. Kreis got the most out of Plata, though, which wasn't happening in Toronto. We'd probably be better off with both. But the onfield stuff here seems to be making some progress; to me, it's an issue of strengthening personnel, which we could do better than by going after Forlan. There were far more realistic targets that would have had as much or more impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also add the one thing to fear is that he'll go for what he thinks is the easy answer and hire Yallop, because of his winning history in the league. MLS is evolving rapidly, and both the style of play and players to get with it; Frank is yesterday's guy, on recent evidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also add the one thing to fear is that he'll go for what he thinks is the easy answer and hire Yallop, because of his winning history in the league. MLS is evolving rapidly, and both the style of play and players to get with it; Frank is yesterday's guy, on recent evidence.
    Oh god, I hope not. If we hire yallop it will be a lost decade.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sorry Jack you are wrong.

Carey is a suit. Leiweke is a suit.

If Leiweke is "responsible" for Arena, Carey is "responsible" for Hanauer.
    Fine. I might have been harsh. I don't agree with you, but if I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat crow. I think Leiweke's going to shake things up and bring in whoever he needs to make this organization a success because that's whet he does.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Also, Jack, to your statement that I am predisposed to hate Leiweke (I'll answer that here, I don't want to do this in the Payne appreciation thread) you can find that I was pretty excited on the day he was hired.

But I react to the facts. Since the day he was hired he has held press conferences about the parade route, extended Nonis, canned Payne, signalled that's he's bringing the Argos to BMO, and generally talks about himself as though he raises the dead. I, and lots of other people, have rational reasons to think that every one of these things sucks.

I have my good reasons for saying what I say rooted in stuff he's done since he arrived, and you telling me I'm predisposed seriously pisses me off.

How's that for hyperbole.
    ok. My apologies if I misread your sentiment. I do t agree with you on this issue and I am willing to wait and see what a proven championship MLS CEO does with our team.

Quote Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
    I stand corrected - my apologies Jack. Perhaps you have been only affected by the after glow - my apologies for suggesting you ate the pork! ;-) Regardless this is not a good omen for the team - spin it if you like, but we are now back to the same old, same old, FO bullshit. If you really think some marketing guy is going to pull a few rabbits out of his ass, that's great - but it ain't going to happen. Mo II - here we gooooo.......
    I understand the frustration, but again, TL has a proven track record. He's not Tom Anselmi and MLSE hasn't had an executive like him in charge before. I think his ego requires winning, which isn't a bad thing. Maybe I'm wrong and you and Eugene can tell me "I told you so" in a couple of years and I'll admit it, but I don't see this house-cleaning as a bad thing, necessarily.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also, if Cochrane is out, then this is a huge step forward
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    I'm happy with it!
    Fingers crossed he goes looking for an experienced personnel man. If the guy he gets wants tactical control as well, it'll be the end for Nelsen. But if he finds someone who's art is the deal, not the final product, we'll be fine. So who's the best at landing a deal in the league? I'd have to say Lagerways is up there. Sarachan's more of a coach, I think. He might think Clavijo in Dallas is a pickup, because he's helped them sign some good young S.A. talent, even though he was a bust at Colorado.

Maybe he goes outside, ala Schallibaum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did I miss?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top, mid or bottom level house cleaning is just another step sideways to me.
    Personally, I have run out of excuses to renew.

1) Year One prices......Year one product.
    2) Friends will be at the game..... No they won't.
    3) Live football!.....Kill me, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fingers crossed he goes looking for an experienced personnel man. If the guy he gets wants tactical control as well, it'll be the end for Nelsen. But if he finds someone who's art is the deal, not the final product, we'll be fine. So who's the best at landing a deal in the league? I'd have to say Lagerways is up there. Sarachan's more of a coach, I think. He might think Clavijo in Dallas is a pickup, because he's helped them sign some good young S.A. talent, even though he was a bust at Colorado.

Maybe he goes outside, ala Schallibaum.
    Oh dear god, Clavijo? I will cry into my keyboard.

I hope he knows what he's done here, because my expectations for a new GM could not be any higher. If we get another middle of the road candidate this place will explode.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh dear god, Clavijo? I will cry into my keyboard.

I hope he knows what he's done here, because my expectations for a new GM could not be any higher. If we get another middle of the road candidate this place will explode.
    Clavijo has done relatively ok at Dallas as GM. horrible coach though.

there are few really good GMs TFC should be looking for. I think TFC can rule Arena out. I think Arena is after CCL crown, and LA is his best chance of doing that.
    Hanauer wants an MLS Cup, and he's got rather cushy job in Seattle. Peter Vermes gets results, but apparently is a prick to deal with, plus he's got good thing going in SKC.

So that leaves Lagerwey at RSL, who apparently has 1 yr left on his contract.

Unless there is some dark horse candidate out of the blue... It's got to be someone who understands MLS 3.0 and shares Leiweke's vision of a team laden with DPs
    Last edited by Yohan; 09-05-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this parody twitter account has some good lulz

https://twitter.com/KevinPayne_TFC

-Eduardo Galeano