Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Payne is out

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, the answer to fix this mess of a club is to fire the most experienced person and retain the least experienced person.

Got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more things change the more they stay the same.
    And next season the new GM fires the coach and round and round we go. LOL
    Go to love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This squad at least has a few decent pieces.
    This is a joke right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TL can suck my balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, earth shattering news from TFC land. My take on Payne was that he liked to build slow, like when he was at DC United and made it a powerhouse for 4-5 years. Then he got abit stale at DC and suffered bad seasons. TL obviously is under pressure from the owners to win championships and keep selling season tickets. Thats why he succeeded in LA when he brough in Beckham. LA started selling ticket like crazy anf had a megastar playing. He's not patient and probably blames KP for not landing Forlan and making TL look like fool when he leaked the story to G & M. If Forlan wanted 2-1/2 years, TFC should've obliged and worry about re-negotiation down the road. Now with Forlan not wanting to be here, TL now has to chase his megastar during the World Cup and sell his pitch to lead TFC to glory. I get the feeling that TL and Garber butted heads in the past. Payne was Garber's man and him being canned doesn't look good on Garber. At the same time TL was running AEG and had to interact with Garber about MLS and how to save it. I think TFC will take more years to come to provide stable ownership. KP and TL should've burnt the TFC house down woth Cochrane and co an started afresh with new blood. Now it looks like RN will be gone soon with the new GM wantin to put his own guy there whenever he arrives here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craz11 View Post
    This is a joke right?

You don't rate Laba or Bendik or Osorio or Caldwell?

Compare the squad to who was playing at this point last season. We are better. But we lack the necessary creative midfielder and the consistent striker to compete in this league.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Has there ever been a sports franchise, anywhere, that's gone through as many personnel changes in a comparative period of time as TFC has? I don't even think the Yankees under Steinbrenner experienced this much upheaval. One thing for sure is, TL better get the next hire right.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    #getusedtoit
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Has there ever been a sports franchise, anywhere, that's gone through as many personnel changes in a comparative period of time as TFC has? I don't even think the Yankees under Steinbrenner experienced this much upheaval. One thing for sure is, TL better get the next hire right.
    Well just look at Newell's Old Boys.

Pablo Alejandro Marini (1 March 2007–30 Sept 07)
    Ricardo Caruso Lombardi (1 Sept 2007–2 Aug 08)
    Fernando Gamboa (1 Aug 2008–1 Jan 09)
    Roberto Sensini (1 Jan 2009–10 April 11)
    Javier Torrente (18 April 2011–27 Sept 11)
    Diego Cagna (2011)
    Gerardo Martino (29 Dec 2011–13)
    Alfredo Berti (2013–)

Player wise I think we have to be #1

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumblings on twitter that Payne is not the only one in the TFC front office cleaning out his office tonight.... cochrane? (we can only hope)
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I dunno, it's tough. I think he might have done the right thing. I don't think, based on other teams' efforts, that our scouting and player signing base was wide enough. We ignored lots of productive, lower cost targets and managed to sign several guys who probably aren't good enough to start at this level.

Given that Onstad followed Payne from DC, he might be next to go.

I've felt pretty underwhelmed by both Payne's signings (Other than Laba, and Caldwell who I think was Nelsen's) and his inability to pick up some DP talent, plus the lack of something coming back for Silva. These days, the good teams in this league just do better, and it's not because they have a "rep". No on in MLS has a rep relative to world football other than the Galaxy. It's that they're willing to move on if the deal isn't right, and to do it quickly.

WE signed Rey for $200,000 per season. He might turn out to be a good player, another dependable winger like Soolsma. But even then, that's steep money for a winger unless he's a bonafide starter.

We signed Elmer from the Swiss League a month ago. He has yet to play. We signed the kid from the Silverbacks. Is he even with the team still? We missed productive, day-one players in the draft in favor of Canadian kids who aren't good enough or ready.

I mean, wasn't Payne mostly just more of the same? We still haven't had the kind of major player improvements required to compete pretty much regardless of who is coaching. That's on Payne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    You don't rate Laba or Bendik or Osorio or Caldwell?

Compare the squad to who was playing at this point last season. We are better. But we lack the necessary creative midfielder and the consistent striker to compete in this league.
    I don't really credit Payne with Laba or Bendik; Laba was heavily scouted by numerous teams and a well-known commodity. Bendik was a make-weight -- they started Frei in training camp, remember? He broke his nose. Bendik made the most of his chance, but he wasn't signed to be a starter. Nelsen almost certainly was responsible for Caldwell, and Osorio was a walk on after trying out for the academy.

So no, the fact that we're marginally better (but not in record, almost identical) in terms of personnel is not enough.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    well..... you shouldn't have....
    Dennis Wise England 24 October 2006 28 January 2008 68 30 12 26 88 78 50.00 [2]
    Gwyn Williams Wales 29 January 2008 29 January 2008 1 0 0 1 0 1 00.00
    Gary McAllister Scotland 30 January 2008 21 December 2008 50 25 8 17 84 61 55.33 see below [3]
    Simon Grayson England 23 December 2008 1 February 2012 169 84 40 45 259 186 57.59 see below [4]
    Neil Redfearn England 1 February 2012 18 February 2012 4 2 0 2 8 6 50.00 [2]
    Neil Warnock England 18 February 2012 1 April 2013 63 23 15 25 81 92 44.44
    Neil Redfearn England 1 April 2013 12 April 2013 1 0 0 1 1 2 00.00
    Brian McDermott England 12 April 2013 Present 10 6 2 2 13 9 66.67

I'm going to go for a cry now.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bman27 View Post
    well..... you shouldn't have....
    Dennis Wise England 24 October 2006 28 January 2008 68 30 12 26 88 78 50.00 [2]
    Gwyn Williams Wales 29 January 2008 29 January 2008 1 1 1 00.00
    Gary McAllister Scotland 30 January 2008 21 December 2008 50 25 8 17 84 61 55.33 see below [3]
    Simon Grayson England 23 December 2008 1 February 2012 169 84 40 45 259 186 57.59 see below [4]
    Neil Redfearn England 1 February 2012 18 February 2012 4 2 2 8 6 50.00 [2]
    Neil Warnock England 18 February 2012 1 April 2013 63 23 15 25 81 92 44.44
    Neil Redfearn England 1 April 2013 12 April 2013 1 1 1 2 00.00
    Brian McDermott England 12 April 2013 Present 10 6 2 2 13 9 66.67

I'm going to go for a cry now.....
    Yeah, was just thinking about that, haha. But certainly in a North American context, we've got to be right up there.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Like how Phil Jackson came here because Leiweke showed him buckets full of cash? Nah. If TL doesn't have someone in mind then we are in for a world of hurt, good luck getting someone here.

We now have an over controlling ego maniac who just fired a reputable MLS executive after only 9 months. That is a new record for TFC and just when you thought we stopped making records.
    He poached a widely acclaimed young GM with a bucket if cash from Denver for the Raps. I don't see why he couldn't do the same for TFC. The egos and the reputations of GMs in MLS could be made as the guy who turned the TFC shitshow around. Leiweke might be an over-controlling egomaniac, but he has more recent MLS cups on his résumé than Payne.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several weeks ago I began writing about Payne's incompetence and bs particularly surrounding the idiotic Silva trade. I have fond memories of the robust attacks I endured here. But alas, again, with a little humbleness, I am right again. I have predicted each of the gm firings of the past, this one came a bit sooner than I expected. Of course, next to go is Nelsen. A new manager will bring his own coach. Done, and done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...he has more recent MLS cups on his résumé than Payne.
    As it relates to the Galaxy success, he signed Beckham, and that's it. He talks a big game, but he was never a personnel guy there. He's a guy who woke up on third base and thought he hit a triple.

I guess if Seattle wins, Drew Carey will be in big demand to be a GM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Several weeks ago I began writing about Payne's incompetence and bs particularly surrounding the idiotic Silva trade.
    I wouldn't be quite that certain about the facts on that. We'll never know now, I'm guessing.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    As it relates to the Galaxy success, he signed Beckham, and that's it. He talks a big game, but he was never a personnel guy there. He's a guy who woke up on third base and thought he hit a triple.

Leiweke was running the show. Let him put the pieces in place like he did in LA. He obviously didn't think Payne was one of the pieces. I'm not saying he was the personnel guy in LA, but to compare him to a minority owner who's a mouthpiece is just lame on your part and insults my intelligence. Save the hyperbole, please.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Mista used to be good too and Urruti didn't get many minutes for NOB. I haven't really seen enough of him to get a real idea yet. Hopefully this Saturday.
    Food for thought. The current Barca manager rated him at NOB. Can't be all bad.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I missing something hear? is TL taking over as GM himself (and that would be a massive mistake)

all TL needs to go out and get his guy like he got Arena in LA , and Carey and Co got Sigi
    Last edited by bman27; 09-04-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: missed a word

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Still clearly remember his "I fucking INVENTED the DP!" comment at the meeting Thursday night. Yeah, Tim, I guess you could say that in a roundabout way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several weeks ago I began writing about Payne's incompetence and bs particularly surrounding the idiotic Silva trade. I have fond memories of the robust attacks I endured here. But alas, again, with a little humbleness, I am right again. I have predicted each of the gm firings of the past, this one came a bit sooner than I expected. Of course, next to go is Nelsen. A new manager will bring his own coach. Done, and done.
    Sometimes, it's not the things we say, it's how we choose to say them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cathal In Star writes about a list of potential Italian players offered to TFC that Payne rejected. Anybody know about this? What a fucking shame if this were true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the upside, even if he doesn't know dick about soccer, he might know people. He got rid of Lalas in LA, and Alexi was a very Payne-like "from the hip" guy.

I'll take a president who's ruthless, as long as his own signings are equal game. Not that I expect it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Sometimes, it's not the things we say, it's how we choose to say them.
    You know, The same thought crossed my mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke was running the show. Let him put the pieces in place like he did in LA. He obviously didn't think Payne was one of the pieces. I'm not saying he was the personnel guy in LA, but to compare him to a minority owner who's a mouthpiece is just lame on your part and insults my intelligence. Save the hyperbole, please.
    Cmon. Lots of people think Arena was forced on Leiweke. The only thing he was responsible for, for sure, was Beckham, which was a disaster until Arena arrived.

btw "Save the hyperbole"? On an internet board discussion relating to Tim Leiweke? That is funny!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all started with that idiotic, self-serving video series of Payne at the draft. Maybe MLSE talked him into it because they like to produce such things. But as soon as he realised that the camera was on him, even when he walked out of an interview to take a phone call! (geez), he must have thought this is it: I'm a star! Then, he would have started watching the whole series at home: I really am a star; imagine all the people of Toronto are watching this, too. Memo to TL: do not, repeat do not, repeat video hype of anyone on the club before they have actually won something, and even then, keep it short and simple; i.e., he shoots, he scores, we win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He poached a widely acclaimed young GM with a bucket if cash from Denver for the Raps. I don't see why he couldn't do the same for TFC. The egos and the reputations of GMs in MLS could be made as the guy who turned the TFC shitshow around. Leiweke might be an over-controlling egomaniac, but he has more recent MLS cups on his résumé than Payne.
    I'm happy the Raps got Masai Ujiri, definitely deserves credit for that. I just have a harder time believing he can do the same with TFC because of the history, not to mention the rejection of a wonderful present from the MLS. You know what they say about gift horses. I acknowledge his accomplishments and really hope he has aces up his sleeve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cathal In Star writes about a list of potential Italian players offered to TFC that Payne rejected. Anybody know about this? What a fucking shame if this were true
    I bet you any money after Roma game, Lewieke realize how stupid it was not to target an Italian player in this market. I wouldn't be surprised if one of DP's next season is an Italian.