Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TFC USL Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    boo

Hamilton needs a NASL team, no one will want to watch 3rd tier, even if the quality is on par, its still called 3rd tier.

use one of the GTA suburbs for a USL affiliate team, Mississauga or Markham makes sense. They can still easily use the Kia Training Grounds

Although I believe Mississauga is at the point can handle a NASL team, its hard to get people out to games when 70% of their income is mortgage. Plus its just so close to BMO, would be competing for same fans
    Yeah, I was hoping for NASL team for Hamilton, but I guess USL Pro made more sense financially especially when TFC is financially supporting them.

I believe NASL is going to look at bigger Canadian cities like Calgary before Hamilton (Only about 500,000 people live in Hamilton now which is less than Mississauga's population).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEightThree View Post
    I thought the CSA wanted to keep USL Pro out of Canada since we're trying to get our own Div III set up? Kind of taking a step backward on this one to be honest. I'd rather see a nation-wide 3rd division comprised of smaller regional leagues much like the CHL.

Aside from that though, this is good news for the Toronto Lynx. I know their owner has pumped tons of money into the team and has been taking a loss every year since TFC came into town.
    Yeah, I was hoping same here, but I guess we will create 4th division league (good bye PDL?) where kids can play and move up to USL or NASL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the CSA wanted to keep USL Pro out of Canada since we're trying to get our own Div III set up? Kiind of taking a step backward on this one to be honest. I'd rather see a nation-wide 3rd division comprised of smaller regional leagues.
    Soccer is still in its infancy in Canada, unlike Hockey.

I don't think diluting the games, teams and leagues into a vast array of 1st 2nd 3rd divisions and area leagues would be beneficial for the sport as a whole.

The idea put forward for a USL Pro team is the way forward, and may get the attention of Van and Montreal making competition in this league akin to the championship or UK 1st division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Would players we loan out still count towards our roster and cap restrictions?
    Yes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This all blows from the very beginning. How the piss can the USSF dictate what a Canadian team affiliates itself with??? Why the hell isn't the CSA standing up to this shit. I'm sorry but I don't buy into any standards crap that the USSF is doing here. If they want to get on their high horse and say that all MLS teams much be affiliated with a tier 2 or tier 3 team then the MLS should be working with the CSA to make damn sure TFC hooks up with a local tier 2 or tier 3 league team and start putting the heat on that League 1 Ontario thing or whatever will be in place for next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the CSA wanted to keep USL Pro out of Canada since we're trying to get our own Div III set up? Kind of taking a step backward on this one to be honest. I'd rather see a nation-wide 3rd division comprised of smaller regional leagues much like the CHL.

Aside from that though, this is good news for the Toronto Lynx. I know their owner has pumped tons of money into the team and has been taking a loss every year since TFC came into town.
    unless the csa see it as an extension of the tfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Bones

Then we end up with a typical Scottish English league divide. Yeh, that what u like to see, a TFC (Celtic) who just go through the motions every week then win the league.

Wales did the right thing and stuck with the EPL, look at Cardiff now and Swansea, a much better position that the Scottish league IMO.

Let's just go play with the big boys ehh !!!

There is still a place to a third Canadian tier, maybe even have promotion into the USL Pro but let's not hold back a good bunch of players on a "Ohh it ain't Canadian" excuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that the CSA will allow carte-blanche creation of USL affiliations. I think the only Canadian USL teams they will allow will have to be MLS-affiliates of either TFC, Impact and Whitecaps. Everyone else will be forced to join NASL or one of the Canadian Div-3 Regional Leagues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Leedsoronto

There is no comparison between the Scottish league and a Division 2 or 3 here in Canada so saying TFC will walk all over these teams is not applicable. (I don't expect the Leafs to walk all over the Peterborough Petes either)

Wales, again yes, you're talking about at the elite level, their highest players. Again, we do that now TFC plays the "big boys" in MLS.

Back to the point of Div 2 or 3 leagues. I'd much rather see TFC have a team in a local Div 2 or 3 system than have to rely on USL Pro. And the CSA won't allow sanctioning of a team that crosses into USSF control for promotion. There is nothing wrong with trying to establish a proper development system within your own local area. TFC should be encouraging it. The CSA should be mandating it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really sure I would like TFC to use Hamilton as their affiliate. Although it makes sense geographically, our reserve players would be playing on artificial turf as it seems that the Hamilton franchise would most likely play at Tim Hortons Field. Don't like the idea of our on loan players playing on that stuff and increasing their chances of being injured. Just my two cents though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I very much doubt that Ontario League 1 would in any way compete with a USL-pro type setup. They don't have the facilities, financial backers, or player pool to make anything close to equivalent happen.

The new league will serve it's own separate purpose. More likely semi-pro development and a place where USL / MLS teams can scout young talent then can refine further in their own setups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought...

Are Canadians considered domestic in USL Pro for American teams? If that were the case, I would be happier about USL Pro here. But if it means the same as MLS, domestic here but not in the US, that doesn't help our development as much as I'd like.

edit: I do appreciate the financial strength of USL Pro. That's why I really want us classified as domestics by the USL, to take advantage of all the programs and facilities already in place down there.
    Last edited by Haddy; 08-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elironico View Post
    Yes.
    wrong. a player does not count towards roster spot and salary cap once loaned out
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Just a thought...

Are Canadians considered domestic in USL Pro for American teams? If that were the case, I would be happier about USL Pro here. But if it means the same as MLS, domestic here but not in the US, that doesn't help our development as much as I'd like.

edit: I do appreciate the financial strength of USL Pro. That's why I really want us classified as domestics by the USL, to take advantage of all the programs and facilities already in place down there.
    They can't. This is a USA Labour Law issue not a choice of the league whether it's USL Pro, MLS or any other sport or business for that matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    They can't. This is a USA Labour Law issue not a choice of the league whether it's USL Pro, MLS or any other sport or business for that matter.
    This is incorrect. There are no labour law restrictions the preclude MLS from calling Canadians as domestics in the league and in their CBA. The NASL call Canadians domestic in the US. Sandor at the11.ca blog wrote extensively on this. The choice to exclude Canadians as domestic in MLS is a USFF/MLS choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Yeah, I was hoping same here, but I guess we will create 4th division league (good bye PDL?) where kids can play and move up to USL or NASL.
    Isnt the Ontario League One to be the highest form of PDL in Ontario, as in, a place where TFC plays their U23 team including all the ex academy players that play during the NCAA off season (ie summer). This allows TFC to rack up the training hours to qualify players as homegrown.

Supporting a USL PRO team in Hamilton is ideal for TFC with player loans and trialists as it also keeps any NASL team out of the stadium and lowers any potential competiton for TFC in the area. Smart move to tie up the stadium if it works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachTory View Post
    This is incorrect. There are no labour law restrictions the preclude MLS from calling Canadians as domestics in the league and in their CBA. The NASL call Canadians domestic in the US. Sandor at the11.ca blog wrote extensively on this. The choice to exclude Canadians as domestic in MLS is a USFF/MLS choice.
    US labor laws say that foreigners from certain counties can't be given preferential treatment over foreigners from other countries. If I'm remembering the blog correctly, they said the NASL basically gets away with it (for now) because nobody has taken them to court about it, yet.
    Last edited by jaahuuu; 08-16-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    wrong. a player does not count towards roster spot and salary cap once loaned out
    this rule must of been changed recently, previously a player on loan would count to the cap/roster spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While Toronto Lynx gave up their Pro status in 2006, it maintained USL teams at every level down to Under 15. They have a USL PDL team, USL Super 20 team, and Super Y teams from 15 to 17. This could really help TFC in getting the Academy teams experience playing south of the border. Currently all TFCA teams play in Ontario leagues a year up. Also a really good position for Toronto Lynx players as there is a path to go through the Lynx system to a professional career playing under the watchful eyes of an MLS club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachTory View Post
    i wish there was a RT button for comments like these

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching another depressing game , we already have the USL team.When are we going to get an MLS team.We lost to Pittsburgh not to long ago.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just throwing this out there but maybe throw a team in the Niagara region?

1) farther away so it kinda eliminates the butting into attendance factor
    2) if a small 2,500 - 5,000 seater stadium is built in st kits or the falls I think the area would grab the attention of a decent amount of people here; I'm not just saying that cause I live in the area it actually seems like a better idea, maybe even put it in the NOTL area.
    3) grass... It's not Tim hortons stadium lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you get too close to Buffalo, that might affect their chances of getting a franchise. Besides, I don't think they're too worried about attendance if Bodgers money is behind it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Soccer is still in its infancy in Canada, unlike Hockey.

I don't think diluting the games, teams and leagues into a vast array of 1st 2nd 3rd divisions and area leagues would be beneficial for the sport as a whole.

The idea put forward for a USL Pro team is the way forward, and may get the attention of Van and Montreal making competition in this league akin to the championship or UK 1st division.
    Soccer has been here for the last 100 years. Pro soccer has been around since the mid-60's in this town. You have no idea what you're talking about. The earliest game recorded in Toronto happened in 1857. There are more kids playing the game than hockey. I just hate that excuse "Oh soccer is new to this country" to blame the lack of attendances or lack of a national pro league .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CFL View Post
    Soccer has been here for the last 100 years. Pro soccer has been around since the mid-60's in this town. You have no idea what you're talking about. The earliest game recorded in Toronto happened in 1857. There are more kids playing the game than hockey. I just hate that excuse "Oh soccer is new to this country" to blame the lack of attendances or lack of a national pro league .
    Not been very popular here though ehh, maybe I should have said the popularity of footy just has not been there until the last 10-20 years.

I did say infancy, not that it is new !!! Yeh ?

Soccer in Canada reminds me of Rugby Union in the UK. Been there for as long as I know, but just not got the same balls as soccer. :@)
    Last edited by Leedsoronto; 08-20-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hate that excuse "Oh soccer is new to this country" to blame the lack of attendances or lack of a national pro league .
    So do I when the fault clearly lies with the CSA and its lack of planning in building the sport from the ground up.
    After all they have hockey as a model of what will work geographically in this country.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The infrastructure to get soccer teams up and running and successful hasn't been there until the last 10 years. (Some of us remember the CSL from the 90's).

We also have the rather unusual issue of having to get past the "we only play with our own ethnicity" hurdles (still prevalent at local district soccer leagues).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer is played in elementary schools across the country having middle aged music teachers as trainers and coaches. In community centres and municipal house leagues, these kids are coached by parents. The percentage of soccer playing kids who receive adeqate instruction and training is miniscule compared with hockey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I was gonna post that as well. It pretty much puts the brakes on the Lynx moving to Hamilton.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha