RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder what the holdup is if NOB agreed to sell Urruti's rights to the MLS?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I care more about who IS playing this Sat. Is Elmer going to fit to start?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From "where are they now" file, Paul Mariner was an analyst on ESPN for the US vs. Bosnia Friendly yesterday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Nelsen mentioned it was a 3rd party that was the holdup. His original contract was probably not solely owned by NOB.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zamperina View Post
    From "where are they now" file, Paul Mariner was an analyst on ESPN for the US vs. Bosnia Friendly yesterday.
    Was he wearing a T-Shirt and shorts? Or did they manage to get him to wear a suit?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Nelsen mentioned it was a 3rd party that was the holdup. His original contract was probably not solely owned by NOB.
    Very common over there. Hedge funds want to maximize their investment.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    NOB is in administration; 3rd party in play has to agree to everything...at least thats what i understood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Was he wearing a T-Shirt and shorts? Or did they manage to get him to wear a suit?
    Suit jacket. With shorts under the desk where you can't see them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article from the Globe and Mail today with a few quotes from Dempsey why Toronto is an attractive destination for players (hint: Ryan Nelsen is an asset):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle13778390/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I am a defense first guy, put 21 goals all season is pathetic. It means that unless you are a defensive powerhouse, which we are not, you are not winning any games, which we are not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Wow, I am a defense first guy, put 21 goals all season is pathetic. It means that unless you are a defensive powerhouse, which we are not, you are not winning any games, which we are not.
    Yup, no question as to where our trouble lies. We can't put any team on the back foot right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Article from the Globe and Mail today with a few quotes from Dempsey why Toronto is an attractive destination for players (hint: Ryan Nelsen is an asset):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle13778390/
    We've has a dismal season this year in the standings, but from a football standpoint it hasn't been THAT bad.

The football is boring at times, but it's boring both ways. Which tells me that we are at least affecting the way the match is being played.
    I think there were only a couple times this year where I've seen us not even make a dent in the play, but for the most part we are making things happen.

After watching the last home match - especially that second half - I can now see where this team is heading and what the final goal is in terms of style of play.
    I actually do think we are only 3-4 players away from being competitive (Urruti, a proper winger or two, and DP striker)

I think Nelsen has dealt with the situation pretty reasonably - not over-hyping things too much as in previous regimes.
    He's also developing a style of play that should fit well in the MLS for a few years to come. Also there are no real single point lynch-pins carrying this style of play so should be easily maintained as turn-over happens, just need to make sure we are filling the holes - ideally through development or possible trade/signing.

People wondered why he should be here and IMO I think he's not so much proven it, but has given us reason not to protest his removal. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about loaning Junior Hoilett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are we after him? I don't get it? he's not an amazing goal scorer on paper. I'm sure they see something in him, and MLS isn't the same level and he has room to develop. I just don't really see it, or the hype. Though It be nice to have something better then what we have.

Though his strike rate is about the same as Braun while at Chivas. (just in a higher division)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Why are we after him? I don't get it? he's not an amazing goal scorer on paper. I'm sure they see something in him, and MLS isn't the same level and he has room to develop. I just don't really see it, or the hype. Though It be nice to have something better then what we have.

Though his strike rate is about the same as Braun while at Chivas. (just in a higher division)
    Are you basing that on appearances or actual minutes on the field. Rudi at Goal worked out Urutti's strike rate at about 180 minutes per goal IIRC. A one goal in two games is a strike rate that we'd be thrilled to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya but you can't count off the bench minutes in the same way. If you have fresh legs vs tired defenders, that is the whole reason for a sub. And that is why I compared to Braun.

Granted he will be playing in a lower league, but I don't know, I'm not willing to be excited for potential.. we've been burned too many times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm willing to be optimistic about Urruti. Will he live up to the hype that he's attracted in the past 6 months? probably not. Will he be a good quality addition to the team and contribute? Of course. If he has similar abilities to what Laba has been able to show and if he can adapt to MLS as quickly as Laba has, I think he'll be excellent. The problem moving forward is going to be our own impression of the guy because of how much we've been hearing his name for the past half a year. I'm hoping for the best!