Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Past heights multiplied by 10 if we have a roof. Imagine how crazy loud that would be. BMO would become an insane experience - and that'll certainly bring back the crowd, and quicker than a DP ever could. However, it's important that the roof is not just any roof. It has to be built with the atmosphere in mind. That's smart. Let's hope TFC under Leiweke is smarter as well.
    BMO was pretty insane when there was passion. Wins fix that pretty fast. But I totally agree that a roof is a great amplifier. Read my post on page 1, where a little overexcited Haddy predicted an announcement next year.
    Last edited by Haddy; 07-24-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: can't spell if you paid me

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof should be #1 priority - and should be ANY supporters #1 wish as well.

Then FINALLY we may be able to hear the south end from anywhere in the stadium. Right now you can hardly hear in 112 what they're singing in 111 or 113. It's embarrassing.
    Past heights multiplied by 10 if we have a roof. Imagine how crazy loud that would be. BMO would become an insane experience - and that'll certainly bring back the crowd, and quicker than a DP ever could. However, it's important that the roof is not just any roof. It has to be built with the atmosphere in mind. That's smart. Let's hope TFC under Leiweke is smarter as well.

Completely disagree. I would welcome a roof but what gets people singing is when we're in the game. And embarrassing? One doesn't have to visit the stadium to see embarrassing play. That should be a supporters #1 priority.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ We've actually been in almost every game at BMO...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Completely disagree. I would welcome a roof but what gets people singing is when we're in the game. And embarrassing? One doesn't have to visit the stadium to see embarrassing play. That should be a supporters #1 priority.
    Better play is obviously a higher priority, always. But in terms of the stadium the #1 improvement wanted by supporters should be the roof.

I grew up supporting a team in a stadium with a proper roof, and we were loud as fuck. Way, way louder. No comparison. It's infectious too. I've now supported TFC from day one. 250 guys under a roof can out-sing the entire south end ANY DAY of the week. We've been shit and as a result the atmosphere has been shit. But problem is also that 50 people singing in 112 can't be heard anywhere. Not even in the top of 112. Slap a roof on there and the same 50 will sound like 500 - and people in the stadium will be able to hear it. That gets others going. No point in joining in on a song you can't hear.

Unfortunately I fear that a lot of people here settle for less all of the time. They'll say: roof is not what makes for a loud atmosphere, it's winning games. That's true, but a roof would make it even greater. Others will say that you don't need an experienced coach to win games, look at Kreis. That is true, but if ALL of our past coaches had experience I bet you we would have likely made the play-offs at least once. Let's set the bar a little higher and fix things where possible.

If supporters can push to get a roof and then make the atmosphere 10 times better - wins or no wins - then why not go for it?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no architectural genius, but I thought no roof for south end because of lack of space?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'm no architectural genius, but I thought no roof for south end because of lack of space?
    There's room. I wonder about the sight lines though, for the folks in the southwest corner of the second deck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolves_On_Tour View Post
    Here's an idea....the stadium is sponsored by a bank........SO GET SOME MORE GODDAMN BANK MACHINES IN THERE! Also, make sure those bank machines are not on a dial up modem.....OR.......allow for debit transactions on a speedy server.....just a thought

and a roof......I don't see why this is so difficult.
    Muuuuuuuuch cheaper and faster to take out money before you get to the stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think someone quoted a $40 million price-tag on putting on a roof.

Just get it done!

MLSE paid almost nothing for the stadium OR the franchise. It's a small price to pay for the atmosphere that will come as a result, and this is what made BMO a hot ticket in the first place anyway: the atmosphere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd gladly put up with no roof at BMO Field for the foreseeable future in exchange for witnessing some TFC victories on home soil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Muuuuuuuuch cheaper and faster to take out money before you get to the stadium.
    Agreed, and that's what I do.
    However, we have all had those days (most often night matches) when the bevie's seem to go down a little easier and more dosh is required.
    Granted, I probably don't need more alcohol when this happens but getting money out for some street meat or a $13 dollar slice of stale pizza would be a nice option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The RDS in Dublin, where the Leinster Rugby team play, added a roof to one of their stands pretty cheaply and quickly. The stand in question is similar in size to the East and South ends at BMO, don't see why something similar can't be done here.
    Before

During and Complete

I think that would be fantastic. Like Yohan, I am no architectural genius but I don't believe much space is required outside of the footprint BMO already sits on. Besides, the concourse area seems to have plenty of room for the supports I believe would be required for something like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Based on the cheaper build structure they went with (remember 67.5M) and the high winds off the lake they said a permanent roof wouldn't be physically possible. That's just from what I remember day one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Based on the cheaper build structure they went with (remember 67.5M) and the high winds off the lake they said a permanent roof wouldn't be physically possible. That's just from what I remember day one.
    So it would require a rebuild? Yeah, not an MLSE priority.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a canopy roof over the stage of the amphitheater isn't there? And the stage directly faces the lake... If that's the BS they tried to feed us, as you recall, then they really did pull a fast one.

They built BMO so bare bones due to the city and MLSE not having any faith in the viability of the league and/or the franchise. This "let's see how it goes" mentality seems to have permeated through the ranks of TFC and are probably part of the reason why management has made so many shitty short sighted decisions.

Working in the construction and engineering field, I've seen what a little bit of vision and some cash can do. That being said, putting a roof on BMO Field would not present many challenges that modern engineers and architects wouldn't be able to solve. If MLSE wants to pony-up the cash and get the blessing from the city...it'll only be a matter of time.
    Last edited by TFC_Allez; 07-24-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're not going to put a roof unless they're done expanding seating capacity of BMO field. It will be stupid and very shortsighted for MLSE to put a roof now. Putting a roof should be the last thing you do once other upgrades are done. Right now, one number concern should be more washrooms, cover corners with seats and have more space for vendors so walking around the stadium is easier for the fans.

EDIT: I forgot to add winterized BMO field to the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I wouldn't expect MLSE to put a roof on BMO anyway. They've shown themselves to improve everything BUT the football (team or atmosphere) since day one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So it would require a rebuild? Yeah, not an MLSE priority.
    Not a CITY priority. If ML$E wants to do any changes they must work with the City of Toronto. It's NEVER easy dealing with the City and any changes require full cooperation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Allez View Post
    There's a canopy roof over the stage of the amphitheater isn't there? And the stage directly faces the lake... If that's the BS they tried to feed us, as you recall, then they really did pull a fast one.

They built BMO so bare bones due to the city and MLSE not having any faith in the viability of the league and/or the franchise. This "let's see how it goes" mentality seems to have permeated through the ranks of TFC and are probably part of the reason why management has made so many shitty short sighted decisions.

Working in the construction and engineering field, I've seen what a little bit of vision and some cash can do. That being said, putting a roof on BMO Field would not present many challenges that modern engineers and architects wouldn't be able to solve. If MLSE wants to pony-up the cash and get the blessing from the city...it'll only be a matter of time.
    I wouldn't equate the supporting structures of the amphitheater and BMO. One was designed to amplify sound with no massive supporting capacity the other massive jumping supporting capacity with no overhang. Sometimes you can just put up a lightweight roof and sometimes you can't. They told us it wasn't designed to hold a roof that would need to stand up to the winds and based on how the structure currently is I wouldn't have any reason not to believe them. Now, could they add in the necessary support structure? Of course they could, but as others have said, if you're planning on adding a 2nd tier in the way off future then don't waste the money now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be killer to have ML$E build their own stadium at Ontario place with capacity and roof and grass and winterized yadda yadda but just as with this thread, we're all dreaming at this point. Since the primary purpose for the National Soccer Stadium (real name of BeeMoh) isn't being realized (Men's and Women's national team hardly call this place home) maybe if ML$E built their own the Argonothings could revamp the south and north ends to expand it to fit their needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be killer to have ML$E build their own stadium at Ontario place with capacity and roof and grass and winterized yadda yadda but just as with this thread, we're all dreaming at this point. Since the primary purpose for the National Soccer Stadium (real name of BeeMoh) isn't being realized (Men's and Women's national team hardly call this place home) maybe if ML$E built their own the Argonothings could revamp the south and north ends to expand it to fit their needs.
    That would be ideal. Build a brand new stadium for TFC in place of Ontario Place, and then hand over BMO to the Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe with our crack pot mayor MLSE could convince him to give cash for a new stadium, we know Rob likes his Football so you never know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Maybe with our crack pot mayor MLSE could convince him to give cash for a new stadium, we know Rob likes his Football so you never know.
    I have suggested it many times

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this. If only it was possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The only existing team in this town that will get a new stadium in the next decade is the Argos. There is absolutely no realistic reason for TFC to leave BMO Field. They'll improve it, whatever that means, and go from there.

I do hope that TL sends his team to more than just Sporting Park. I can think of a handful of good MLS stadiums they should learn from - and that includes the new one being built in San Jose.

If this is anything like how they did research for the KIA Training Ground, I have faith they'll make some good choices.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but but but, my dream of TFC's 26k covered stadium...

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...84eb7b5b87e7f8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but but but, my dream of TFC's 26k covered stadium...

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...84eb7b5b87e7f8
    That looks like it could be a fantastic football stadium. That's something we can all be proud of.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    Hey look, stadium upgrades!

*points in direction away from transfer thread, runs*

smoke and mirror show now, anything but transfers.
    Yeah, I gotta agree. Look, where is the logic in spending a couple million dollars upgrading a facility that is struggling to get people through the turnstiles? It looked like there was all of 15,000 at the game against New York last weekend, so I have my doubts they are going to install more seats that people won't purchase tickets for.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Yeah, I gotta agree. Look, where is the logic in spending a couple million dollars upgrading a facility that is struggling to get people through the turnstiles? It looked like there was all of 15,000 at the game against New York last weekend, so I have my doubts they are going to install more seats that people won't purchase tickets for.
    True - but to Leiweke's point, it's important that TFC look good in more ways than just on the pitch. We need to have a beautiful stadium - and not one of the worst in the entire league. We need to get past this whole "on a need basis" way of thinking - it's a loser mentality. Go for the Gold, go for the best stadium in the league, etc.. That's how you build a winning mentality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe they can build the roof out of all the historical pictures of past Leaf greats that Tim wants out of the ACC? A patchwork quilt roof made of all images from when Toronto sports teams were winners. Then you could look up to the sky and pray for a win before games and the faces of players who actually won could look down on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    Maybe they can build the roof out of all the historical pictures of past Leaf greats that Tim wants out of the ACC? A patchwork quilt roof made of all images from when Toronto sports teams were winners. Then you could look up to the sky and pray for a win before games and the faces of players who actually won could look down on you.

Don't forget our lengthy list of illustrious greats at TFC!