Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    That's not true...

The CFL television numbers are consistently EXCELLENT! A bad game, with a bad matchup, on a bad night, will bring in 500,000 min - a decent one 800,000+, playoffs into the millions, Grey Cup reaching 4-5 million...

And of that regular audience, it's proven to be an excellent lead in viewership.. The reason they play '1-game-per-day' type of schedule on Thurs-Fri-Sat is to use that lead in to SportsCentre... If 20% of the audience sticks around, you suddenly have over 100,000 people watching SC (which regularly happens after CFL games)...

CFL numbers are also strong coast-to-coast - and have very little regional spikes during games. Scheduling the games at the same time would only fragment your total audience, and wouldn't be smart scheduling. CFL fans, more than any other sport, watch all games - not just their home team. Obviously, with only 4-games per week, it's doable (a Blue Jay fan simply couldn't watch every MLB game - there just isn't enough hours in the day), but CFL fans are very loyal to the broadcasting rights holder - moreso than any other sport...

The reason for the Argos terrible home schedule is the Blue Jays. Their lease is basically free, and therefore they simply get 'leftover' dates - in fact, concerts/motorcross/kids-midway-week will get higher priority than the Argos at the RC (the Tuesday night being the perfect example)...

I don't want the Argos in BMO Field - but don't for a second think that the CFL isn't a massive TV property in this country... It brings in big numbers, and has loyal viewers (they watch the coverage of the league after the games are over), a perfect pairing when acquiring, scheduling, and broadcasting a sports property...
    We're saying the same thing, Carts.

You just have more numbers lol. But Seriously we're talking from different sides of the coin. CFL maximizes viewership because CFL fans are a loyal patriotical lot and will watch the entire league because they can (it's so small). The other side of that coin is the and TSN would suffer if they took the model of the most successful gridiron in the world and schedule on the same day.

So Mulder while the Argos have the MOST idiotic schedule they are by no means alone in that since the biggest supporters of the league, TSN, benefits (and why shouldn't they've been pimping it ever since the coup from CBC).
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Toronto seems to be the only city in the world that lacks overall civic pride for their sports teams.
    Cute defense, Mulder. Plead civic unity while shitting on Skydome for not being gridiron friendly. How do you not get it's these very things we want to avoid with ground sharing now that we can avoid it?

I want the Argos ("The", not "My", not quite "Our") to have their own great mid sized stadium. Trackless, starting with a raised row one, inclines perfectly, and is Double Blue. Good Luck.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Cute defense, Mulder. Plead civic unity while shitting on Skydome for not being gridiron friendly. How do you not get it's these very things we want to avoid with ground sharing now that we can avoid it?
    How am I shitting on the Skydome by saying it's not football friendly? The slope of the seats in the 100 level are terrible for football, Both kinds. All I said is fixing the slope would make it a better facility, There is standards and guidelines for optional stadium viewing. And I haven't made the case for sharing grounds here. Putting words in my posts....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How am I shitting on the Skydome by saying it's not football friendly? The slope of the seats in the 100 level are terrible for football, Both kinds. All I said is fixing the slope would make it a better facility, There is standards and guidelines for optional stadium viewing. And I haven't made the case for sharing grounds here. Putting words in my posts....
    But it doesn't need to be fixed by Baseball fans standards and that's who it was built for. Why should the boosters have to suffer for the secondary tenants?

And you're right, You didn't make a case for grounds sharing with TFC. Actually you haven't commented on the thread topic at all yet. As always, though, you're knowledge of all things Argos helps us out.

What are your thoughts on our stadium getting a roof without inviting the Argos to a renovated BMO?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it doesn't need to be fixed by Baseball fans standards and that's who it was built for. Why should the boosters have to suffer for the secondary tenants?

And you're right, You didn't make a case for grounds sharing with TFC. Actually you haven't commented on the thread topic at all yet. As always, though, you're knowledge of all things Argos helps us out.

What are your thoughts on our stadium getting a roof without inviting the Argos to a renovated BMO?
    You made the incorrect statement about Argo Home dates at the Rogers Centre. So if your complaining about me not keeping it "on-topic" It went off-topic quite a few posts before that. Would you correct me if I made an incorrect or ignorant statement?

And I did comment on the thread topic. But my thoughts are

MLSE board won't put any money into any stadium expansion project until they sell the naming rights again. (2017).
    The new CEO can spout off all he wants as well, until TFC puts a better product on the field, there's no reason to put money into a roof or any improvements. It won't attract any more fans.

In addition, Look at how automatic retractable seats work for Raptors/Leafs. I was never implying to "ruin" the baseball portion.
    Last edited by Mulder; 08-06-2013 at 01:39 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You made the incorrect statement about Argo Home dates at the Rogers Centre. So if your complaining about me not keeping it "on-topic" It went off-topic quite a few posts before that. Would you correct me if I made an incorrect or ignorant statement?

And I did comment on the thread topic. But my thoughts are

MLSE board won't put any money into any stadium expansion project until they sell the naming rights again. (2017).
    The new CEO can spout off all he wants as well, until TFC puts a better product on the field, there's no reason to put money into a roof or any improvements. It won't attract any more fans.

In addition, Look at how automatic retractable seats work for Raptors/Leafs. I was never implying to "ruin" the baseball portion.
    So I guess both teams are in the same boat in that they have to improve their following to see any stadium developments. And as difficult as it seems for Toronto to improve I'm not sure there's much more Argos could do to look attractive as a Roger's Centre tenant.

Congrats on the Cup, though. If it wasn't for the drought, they'd be the Yankees of the CFL...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess both teams are in the same boat in that they have to improve their following to see any stadium developments. And as difficult as it seems for Toronto to improve I'm not sure there's much more Argos could do to look attractive as a Roger's Centre tenant.
    Moving out towards Downsview into a smaller facility would do wonders. Probably around 24k-26k max. Argos know most of their fanbase lives in the 905. David Braley is already looking at locations, this has been confirmed. It's also been all but confirmed that this is the argos last lease renewal at Skydome. I've said in my forum, the less we hear about a new stadium over the next 3-4 years, the more likley a BMO reno is going to happen. I'd like to see them in their own facility. But seeing as I'm now living in Ottawa (3km from Lansdowne) I'll be attending more games here. Fury included!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my gosh......its all true.

We are getting a roof.

Terry said so. http://www.rednationonline.ca/Interv...yDunfield.aspx

Since I arrived TFC now has an impressive academy, has built a world class training ground and I hear that changes to the stadium are on the horizon.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving out towards Downsview into a smaller facility would do wonders. Probably around 24k-26k max. Argos know most of their fanbase lives in the 905. David Braley is already looking at locations, this has been confirmed. It's also been all but confirmed that this is the argos last lease renewal at Skydome. I've said in my forum, the less we hear about a new stadium over the next 3-4 years, the more likley a BMO reno is going to happen. I'd like to see them in their own facility. But seeing as I'm now living in Ottawa (3km from Lansdowne) I'll be attending more games here. Fury included!
    Way to Support the Local. Kudos.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

We are getting a roof.

What's also amazing is when he says this about the club that waived him:

Terry Dunfield: I loved my 18 months at TFC. It felt like 5 years!!! It’s not easy with so much change on and off the field. However, I truly believe the club is moving in the right direction.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

We are getting a roof.

No mention of a roof.

I truly think one is coming. Unless the idea is killed off by supporters who don't want a roof. There's a first time for everything in the world of football - all part of TFC madness LOL

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're saying the same thing, Carts.

You just have more numbers lol. But Seriously we're talking from different sides of the coin. CFL maximizes viewership because CFL fans are a loyal patriotical lot and will watch the entire league because they can (it's so small). The other side of that coin is the and TSN would suffer if they took the model of the most successful gridiron in the world and schedule on the same day.

So Mulder while the Argos have the MOST idiotic schedule they are by no means alone in that since the biggest supporters of the league, TSN, benefits (and why shouldn't they've been pimping it ever since the coup from CBC).

Really-- " CFL fans are a loyal patriotical lot" ? this is something the scarf crowd long to be. Just say no to soccer MOMS! They're ruin our chanting! Funny how people always hate the things they want to become.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those living without TV and use the world wide web, when soccer in this city becomes what football is to this city, let me know. When soccer in this country has a nine team pro league that draw 22K a game, has great TV ratings and whose national team isn't sitting at 91 in the world with tons of room underneath it, let me know. The Canadian U-19 team beat the US U-19 last year to become World Champs...

When soccer has a strong competitive and serious feeder system, as football in the country does, Laval a university team draws what TFC does ( and 18 university programs that draw well- over 2K a game) , a youth system that has has a network of websites promoting it and the sport can get more people to watch it than the 33 who do now..Let's face it, after TFC- soccer in this is a game like golf. People play, aren't very good at it, and once in a while watch the big events. And without the welfare money, BMO is never built, MLSE never buys in. There is no team.

So back to the roof. Unless MLSE pays for it, it ain't happening again. They had there turn at the tit of the public purse. Baseball was given the Skydome. The Pan AM covers a ton of sports. It's football turn for the welfare money. And there is enough demand and push for it.

Cheers,

For those that mock football, here the local youth page, one of a few, enjoy

http://ww2.canadafootballchat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CFL View Post
    For those living without TV and use the world wide web, when soccer in this city becomes what football is to this city, let me know. When soccer in this country has a nine team pro league that draw 22K a game, has great TV ratings and whose national team isn't sitting at 91 in the world with tons of room underneath it, let me know. The Canadian U-19 team beat the US U-19 last year to become World Champs...

When soccer has a strong competitive and serious feeder system, as football in the country does, Laval a university team draws what TFC does ( and 18 university programs that draw well- over 2K a game) , a youth system that has has a network of websites promoting it and the sport can get more people to watch it than the 33 who do now..Let's face it, after TFC- soccer in this is a game like golf. People play, aren't very good at it, and once in a while watch the big events. And without the welfare money, BMO is never built, MLSE never buys in. There is no team.

So back to the roof. Unless MLSE pays for it, it ain't happening again. They had there turn at the tit of the public purse. Baseball was given the Skydome. The Pan AM covers a ton of sports. It's football turn for the welfare money. And there is enough demand and push for it.

Cheers,

Think you are probably posting in the wrong place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. If they are going to put a roof & do other upgrades to BMO then MLSE better be ponying up the money for that. Lord only knows they have taken enough of it from this community.

As far as the Argos go. I'm in agreement with those that say that they need their OWN stadium. All this moving to BMO field talk is just garbage from soccer haters or just ignorant people. Part of me has always wondered why the Argos made no push when Hamilton was boggling the Pan-Am stadium stuff? They should have been more aggressive in trying to get that stadium. Anyways I hope they do get their own building because I think it would be a big positive for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, the penny drops.

so how is it that the long game that MLSE plays does not get the respect they deserve?

the reason the academy went to downsview was the lease at downsview. MLSE has an exclusive to build stadia and host pro sport at downsview. That means no arena for toronto nhl2. That means no NFL unless MLSE involved (Liewicke was hired for the future of MLSE, not just its incumbent businesses). And it sure means no CFL stadium at downsview.

So, once the subway expansion is done, where does the tenant with a downsview stadium plan in its backpocket get the leverage to have the city pay for all the upgrades at BMO? Rob ford, come on down- the argos need a better home eventually.

downsview. Own all the revenue sources. Major traffic access car and transit. Central location. All the things the nfl look for.
    oh yah, through a few mls games in there to spread the costs around. This works. Leave bmo to the city. Let the Argos and or the city tear it half down to make it cfl ready.

Rogers centre not good for NFL and worse mlse would be a tenant. Blue jays want grass. The NFL will not consider the rogers centre.

nfl is the mlse long game. Downsview site is locked up. Any bmo changes would be for only the half of the stadium not destined to be torn down to fit the cfl field. And mlse will pay nothing for those changes since they dont want to be in that stadium longer term anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachTory View Post
    Ah, the penny drops.

so how is it that the long game that MLSE plays does not get the respect they deserve?

the reason the academy went to downsview was the lease at downsview. MLSE has an exclusive to build stadia and host pro sport at downsview. That means no arena for toronto nhl2. That means no NFL unless MLSE involved (Liewicke was hired for the future of MLSE, not just its incumbent businesses). And it sure means no CFL stadium at downsview.

So, once the subway expansion is done, where does the tenant with a downsview stadium plan in its backpocket get the leverage to have the city pay for all the upgrades at BMO? Rob ford, come on down- the argos need a better home eventually.

downsview. Own all the revenue sources. Major traffic access car and transit. Central location. All the things the nfl look for.
    oh yah, through a few mls games in there to spread the costs around. This works. Leave bmo to the city. Let the Argos and or the city tear it half down to make it cfl ready.

Rogers centre not good for NFL and worse mlse would be a tenant. Blue jays want grass. The NFL will not consider the rogers centre.

nfl is the mlse long game. Downsview site is locked up. Any bmo changes would be for only the half of the stadium not destined to be torn down to fit the cfl field. And mlse will pay nothing for those changes since they dont want to be in that stadium longer term anyway.
    Nice conspiracy theory...

but you neglected to mention that the NFL prohibits corporate owners. MLSE can own the stadium, that's it.

edit: Any BMO changes would be for the portion they don't intent on tearing down to make a more permanent stand. Hell 3 out of 4 stands there are made of paper and ready for expansion.
    Last edited by Haddy; 08-10-2013 at 12:57 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers,

So now you just repeat points critiqued by me and other CFL fans on here, and expect people to just....what.......agree with you?

Nah, ur a troll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"CFL" you are still upset that the Argos screwed up and in the end instead of getting their own stadium will be homeless in a few years. Don't be upset at soccer in Toronto, you should be upset at the former Argo owners who were about to get a stadium deal at York with the CSA as partners but bailed at the last minute and went back to the Rogers center. They left the soccer people high and dry. However, in came MLSE and voila a soccer only stadium was built without the Argos, justice my friend justice, what is that saying about karma, ya you know it. I have been listening to people like you soccer haters for years the hate on for soccer is incredible with some of you guys. Like I said you are just upset that TFC has a soccer stadium and the Argos don't, but after so many years of soccer bashing in this city by people like you I so love it that things turned out the way they did buddy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Nice conspiracy theory...

but you neglected to mention that the NFL prohibits corporate owners. MLSE can own the stadium, that's it.

edit: Any BMO changes would be for the portion they don't intent on tearing down to make a more permanent stand. Hell 3 out of 4 stands there are made of paper and ready for expansion.

You might call it conspiracy but i call it planning. You are quite right that people own teams in the NFL but the NFL is really after low transparency ( no public companies) and very rich people that can make decisions for the franchise (private companies ok, just not corporate with a large independant board) Edward jr and Belinda Rogers are those types of people, but not Rogers communications. They have invested heavily to position themselves to buy the Bills franchise from Ralph Wilson. His estate tax issues is why the team will be sold on his demise. Just one option but certainly a good NFL fit considering the TV and media aspects.

you cite the main reason why Teachers pension was not going to be able to execute the long term NFL plan for mlse. Btw the downsview deal aspects comes from a source at teachers a few years back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few reasons why that won't happen quiet like you think.

A CFL field can't fit into BMO without blowing up every part of the stands and going about 200 extra feet to the south. The city is not going to spend the needed money and the Argos don't have it.

An NFL stadium would cost $1 - $2 Billion. Governments are not going to pay for that. And Rogers is not going to spend that amount of coin either.

And, there is reason to believe that the NFL themselves are rather sour on Toronto, and in particular Rogers.

The NFL would rather move the Bills to LA, or Jacksonville, after the Jags move to London.

Toronto is WAY down their list of liked cities, and Rogers is not popular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers,

Soccer is more popular than football in this city.
    Last edited by Macksam; 08-11-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we end up getting some improvements on the stadium but nothing crazy. I say we get some type of roof over some sections. Won't be a full one for sure. That Wifi network will probably go in as it's pretty easy to do and I wouldn't be shocked if they built a bar like they have in KC. That's a money maker so I wouldn't be surprised if they did that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW- How is Chivas doing at the gate? Maybe those mexicans would rather got to UCLA football games.
    You somehow concluded that all Mexican's like Chivas? If I am Mexican living in the LA area and my team is Pumas or Monterrey or Club America or Tigres or Santos Laputa, why the hell would I support Chivas and the Chivas brand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know the Canadian u-19 team beat the US u-19 team...must not have been on tv? I wonder why? I do remember watching the Canadian U-20 and U-17 football (soccer) teams on tv though

wonder why the canadian gridiron team wasn't on tv since it is soooooo BIG in Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers,

Argos owners aren't stupid. They won't build a damn thing until they know for certain what's happening with the NFL in Toronto. Listen, I respect the CFL. But the two leagues can't live in the same market.

And your comparison is ridiculous. You can't compare a league that has been around for decades to something that has been in the country for 7 years. I agree, no-foot football sells more tickets right now. But the eclipse is coming fast and there isn't a darned thing you can do about it. Just look at the numbers and weep.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers,

World Champs of what? Canadian Football? That's what we play here. Until the game is played the same way I can't see how valid a comparison is. And your favourite league has been at the tit a lot longer than our game here. Remember where you are before you troll, please.

My hopes for this game is greater than becoming a second rate league in our own nation. There's a long way to go but I'll keep at it, thanks. Good luck with your own sport soapbox. I'm not interested.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    But the eclipse is coming fast and there isn't a darned thing you can do about it. Just look at the numbers and weep.
    Been hearing this for the past 7 years. Still waiting for it to happen. Only saving grace with TFC attendance wise this season was year 1 pricing. Lots of my friends say that's why they stayed or didn't drop tickets

Numbers:
    http://mlsattendance.blogspot.ca/
    http://twelvemenonthefield.blogspot....cker-2013.html

And a CFL game out draws the MLS on ESPN

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.ca/201...uly-22-28.html

If you think it's coming fast, your wrong. Those are the numbers to prove it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been hearing this for the past 7 years. Still waiting for it to happen. Only saving grace with TFC attendance wise this season was year 1 pricing. Lots of my friends say that's why they stayed or didn't drop tickets

Numbers:

Many people underestimate CFL when comes to TV ratings (they even get better TV ratings than Blue Jays), but the upside for CFL is pretty limited in the long term. Soccer is on the rise and you got to admit it has a lot more potential of doing well in Toronto than football/Argos given our demography. NFL isn't coming to Toronto especially after Bill series failing to sell out.

CFL in Toronto is on a deathbed IMO. Once they're kicked out Rogers centre and leave downtown Toronto to move to eastern part 905 region (Oshawa), then they're going to be forgotten in Toronto. They might as well change their name to Oshawa Argos or Ontario Argos once they leave Toronto.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Numbers:

Glad to see you'll stick around for it though. I think it'll be a close race between it and a 10th CFL franchise.

Ontario Argos, though? Would that a merger of 2 or 3 teams? And if so, perhaps renaming them the RougherRiders? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-12-2013 at 11:08 AM.