Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    My favourite part about beating Columbus, is simply the vision in my head, of Bill Archer throwing a brick through his television set.

- Scott
    he is definitely not happy lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krew supporters reactions (from Big Sawker):

That said, it's our own damn fault for not putting a more solid stamp on the game when we had the chance to. This is freaking Toronto -- how do you not put them away?
    That's final straw. Can't lose to a team like Toronto like that. What a collapse.
    No passion, no sense of urgency, no possession. Playing not to lose against one of the few teams as bad as us? How can the FO not see that we have to have a new coach now? Well, now the season is lost so there will be no changes made. I am sick....
    So ashamed right now
    I think this and the last several games have been tactical stupidity. Did we really try to bunker in for the entire second half?

We are a joke, plain and simple. We have no balls, no spirit, no heart. Sack Warzycha and the entire coaching staff. Fire Mccullers.
    Blows my mind that we just took our best lineup onto the field and lost to a TFC team without Earnshaw or Kouvermans
    Well I planned on trying to catch this replay when I got home. I think I'll spare myself the pain.
    2013: No hope.
    The best one:

But Marshall had to be aware that he was marking one of the best finishers of the modern era.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Fuck, that is exactly what I thought, "well maybe he is one of the best finishers of the modern era" I was being sarcastic in my head.

THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST EFFORTS EVER BY THIS TEAM, they did not give up and moved the ball up quickly and intransigently when time was running out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    here we go Bendik blows it and it's Morgan's fault.......player plays the pass not the fookin goalie...Bendik was caught cheating and paid for it.....I'm Canadian and will give the Canadians loads of slack....unless we're simply a feeder system for the USMNT
    Morgan was marking him properly, if he got tighter, the forward would have cut n around him, the shot was a shot that you like them to take it was Bendik that was sleeping, any criticisms of Morgan is he usual footy ignorance common on these boards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We poke fun at the Weedman, but the fact of the matter is that he actually has an impressive scoring ratio with our club. I think he deserves an extended look as a scoring option off the bench.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next day ruminations on the game:

• On the winning goal, the wind held up their goalies punt, for the only time in the whole game. We effectively had a 3 on 2 after that. I call Hand of God.
    • I remember watching the 100th anniversary of the Kop, and that barnacle Neil Warnock switched sides so that Liverpool attacked the Kop in the first half. Liverpool won. Ever since then, I've always thought managers that switch sides on the home team are equally barnacles on the side of football. And it came back to bite the Crew as they were facing into the rain in the second half.
    • We don't get ourselves into positions to shoot enough. Then again, with Braun and Brockie as a forward tandem, we are playing with the B team.
    • Bendik was at fault on the goal, of course. And then he bailed us out with some great saves.
    • Once again, we played the ball out of the back.
    • I love Osorio, I really do. His touches and passes were off in the second half. But, as Nelsen said, he never stopped running and he took his goal well.
    • Although I admire the lad, doing a Forlan?
    • Caldwell practices headers in warmup. The man is a beast in the air. And his positioning is excellent. And, he's good with ball at his feet. I'd rate him over Chad Marshall.
    • Teams are starting to go wide and then pulling in for a shot. That is far more easy to defend. BUT, you have to have position on the winger/forward moving in. When we don't, which happens to Morgan and Henry at least twice a game, we have issues.
    • Laba moved up the pitch a bit more often. His passing in the final third is still a bit off. But nobody has an easy day with him around. Beast of a destroyer. He's our best midfielder ever.
    • Lambe as a RB. Hopefully never again. He went out and moved forward. But he got caught out in defence at least once.
    • Rey did a rugby tackle and it cost us a scary moment with a free kick. He's going to have to get used to how to play defensively in this league.
    • Hall's days as a starter are numbered now. Osorio and Laba in the middle worked well as a tandem. Hall tried but he's just not good enough technically.
    • Rey has great instincts and goes places instead of hanging around. He's going to fit in well on the left with Osorio in the middle.
    • Braun and Brockie as a tandem..........ugh. Braun doesn't have enough pace to get off a shot and Brockie seems to always be going in the wrong space.
    • Henry's yellow could have been called a penalty. Player got in front of him.
    • Morgan ok going forward but he's not a great passer of the ball. And, defensively, he's the weakest link.
    • Convey finally had a game we should expect of him. Moved off the ball, crossed well. Passed well. Not perfect but good enough.
    • Our free kicks and corners are awful (with the exception of the Caldwell into the post move which the goalie should have taken)
    • The ref - missed a lot. And his inconsistencies about when to call a stoppage due to an injury was maddening. BUT, he controlled the game and didn't let it boil over, which it easily could have. He didn't reach for the yellows too much. I'd say he's a work in progress.
    • Columbus guys seem to like to spend time on the ground. ODouro is quite the whiner.

All in all, we didn't steal that match. And we saw a lot of progress. There were a lot of cruddy things happening, but most of those are going to get resolved.

I don't think its a watershed moment. But I do think it was a reminder to the players and to management that the home team winning means a bigger louder more festive crowd. We'll see. If we can steal a result in NE, the crowd for Seattle might be actually what is announced.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-28-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attendance announced at 17,000+ which is probably accurate count of tickets sold/committed.
    I guess 12,000- in the seats during first half and probably no more than 8,000 when TFC finally scored.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a dream last night that the crew scored right after our second goal to tie it up, had to check Matchday app to be sure.

You know it is bad when...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-columbus-crew

Pretty much one of the few skill sets I offer is finishing,” Wiedeman told MLSsoccer.com. “It is something I have always worked on, so when I am actually in that situation I can execute.
    Don't know if he was misquoted, has an awesome sense of humour, or very hard on himself, but

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What difference a little bit of belief does...

The Good:
    -2 late goals for the winner!
    -112 when the rain starts pouring
    -Convey bossing midfield

The Bad:
    -Too much hoofball in 1st half. Ugh
    -TFC set pieces. Ugh!
    -Doneil Henry getting pwned by Columbus attackers like every play

The Ugly
    -Justin Braun's first touch
    -Ismail Elfath. Terrible reffing
    -Columbus players and their diving (but their diving gave extra added time in 2nd half, so karma!)

Ratings
    Bendik: 5
    -Tried to cheat on Oduro's goal and got beaten on short side. Made it up with couple of good saves later, but you really can't afford to cough up easy goals when your team isn't scoring much

Eckersley: 6
    -Typical Ecks performance. Gets a yellow card, but aggressive throughout the game. Crossing still suspect but his short passing game seemed to have improved. Lost the ball a few times pushing the ball too far ahead when dribbling

Caldwell: 6
    -Solid at back. Has a tough job directing 3 defenders with questionable positioning, but he does it well. Unlucky to have his open header hit the post, but gotta score from 2 yds out.

Henry: 4
    -horrid game esp in 1st half. Getting beaten on first step, getting rounded, grabbing shirts. Lucky to not get sent off. Arrieta had his way with Henry. TFC has accepted that giving Henry first team mins is going to be a topsy turvy affair.

Morgan: 6
    -Wasn't super bad defensively. Playing like he wants to earn his starting spot. Channelled his inner Cafu and made some chugging runs up left flank aggressively. Like really aggressive when attacking the ball. Too bad technique let him down a few times.

Osorio: 7
    -Nelsen said Osorio's best position is attacking midfielder and this game proves it. Knows when to make instinctive late runs into the box and can finish. The pride he shows when he scores a goal... I love this kid.

Hall: 6
    -Didn't think he did too bad, but he's still only a depth player for TFC.

Laba: 7
    -Cleans up central midfield not with brute physicality, but with positioning and tenacity. makes nice nifty moves to get away from a pressuring opposition player, also couple of giveaways. With Laba and Osorio in the midfield, I'm pretty content with that pairing.

Convey: 8 (MoM)
    -2 assists for Convey who was pretty much the only creator from TFC midfield. Won't beat a defender with pace anymore, but showed glimpse of why he used to be a mainstay with USMNT. Delivered a lot of dangerous crosses and showed awareness of where his teammates were on the pitch to connect with them. That cross with his weaker right foot was inch perfect. A little to left or right and Wiederman running would not have gotten his goal.

Braun: 5.5
    -God knows he tries hard, playing with a knock, but his first touch is so atrocious that his hold up play suffers.

Brockie: 6.5
    -Everything Brockie seems to do is just pure instinct. Would be much more dangerous player if his technique was developed at better youth academy. That layoff to Osorio was just instinct on Brockie's part. May have developed as a bit of diver, as he's not getting calls in the box. (That Viana tackle was legit at the end of 1st half)

Subs
    Lambe: 5
    -Totally invisible for most part. Couple of nice ideas for passing. I never want to see Lambe at RB again

Wiedeman: 6.5
    -He's our really, really poor version of Inzaghi. Natural poacher, offers nothing much else (even Wiedeman admits as much). Has best strike rate per game for TFC this season though (incl V Cup games)

Rey: 6
    -Got 15 mins and showed a glimpse of what he can do. A bit of crossing and has rocket of a shot. Intriguing to see what he can do when fully match fit.

Nelsen: 7
    -In the end, the result is what matters. Nelsen got lucky that TFC pulled one out of nowhere and got 2 late game goals, which shows at least his team competes till the final whistle.

-Tactics was flat in 1st half with too many poor decisions esp with hoofball to Chad Marshall who is probably best defender in the air. I realize he tried to use Braun as a hold up guy, but he's not going to win too many aerial battles against Marshall.

-Showed balls and made 2 half time changes. Didn't really pay off till he made his 3rd sub, putting in an attacker for defender to really press Columbus. I don't like Lambe in the game as sub, but I do like his thinking pushing Osorio into attacking central midfield, and have two technical CMs trying to dominate midfield that way. Too many of TFC's attacks were coming from just the flanks and shifting Osorio to centre made it more balanced attack through the midfield.

-Osorio's equalizer goal was started by Bendik playing out from the back instead of hoofing it down the pitch.

-Recognized threat of Higuain and he was stifled and didn't have much of an influence on the game for Columbus. (Unlike the earlier game at BMO field this year when Higuain was the boss)

Stats
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...or-v-clb/stats

And Columbus... what happens when you go too overboard with Latin American/South American influence in MLS.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very lucky to get a result, but we were due (seeing all the bad luck we've had).....Henry was the worst player on the pitch...a CB who can't tackle, he's like a striker who is afraid to head the ball....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved the way they finished off the game but is there ANY reason to take off your jersey after scoring a goal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miker View Post
    I loved the way they finished off the game but is there ANY reason to take off your jersey after scoring a goal?
    It was a long time coming for the goal, in a monsoon, very dramatic, I see no issue.

It does amuse me how the club and league use the image of a shirtless Osorio to rep their league, even tho it's not allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    here we go Bendik blows it and it's Morgan's fault.......player plays the pass not the fookin goalie...Bendik was caught cheating and paid for it.....I'm Canadian and will give the Canadians loads of slack....unless we're simply a feeder system for the USMNT
    Nah Morgan left Odouro with so much time and space he could have been Dr. Who. The guy lets players play the ball instead of closing them down, he ball watches. How can someone get such a good shot at that angle at that distance which is like a 9% chance of scoring unless he isn't being defended properly. Bendik wasn't cheating he was relying on Morgan to close down the shooting lane and force a cross. Morgan is slow, people run around him all game. Why do you think every team attacks his side most of the games when he starts?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Nah Morgan left Odouro with so much time and space he could have been Dr. Who. The guy lets players play the ball instead of closing them down, he ball watches. How can someone get such a good shot at that angle at that distance which is like a 9% chance of scoring unless he isn't being defended properly. Bendik wasn't cheating he was relying on Morgan to close down the shooting lane and force a cross. Morgan is slow, people run around him all game. Why do you think every team attacks his side most of the games when he starts?
    Normally you'd have more of a case, but Oduro is lightning fast. Moment Morgan takes a step forward and shifts body's momentum, Oduro likely would have blown by Morgan (and you'd rag on Morgan for that)

To defend against a pacy attacker, you give him a bit more room. And Oduro took a shot on a half volley on a bad angle. Nobody really expected him to take a shot from there.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good point! total waste of time when you are at home with no win on that field in over a year! i like the kid but fuck, run into the net, grab the ball, and run it to half and show us you want the win and not over celebrate a tie! good news is we won, however weideman should have been the one taking the shirt off!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are people really criticizing Osorio for celebrating a goal? Wow

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say the goal, passion and celebration (card be damned) brought the crowd into it more than ever.

What this season, we need moments like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes there is but I would've taken my shorts off too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    naw, just for wasting time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'd say the goal, passion and celebration (card be damned) brought the crowd into it more than ever.

What this season, we need moments like that.
    what crowd??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not criticizing him for celebrating a goal but for how it will affect the team. There's lots of ways to whip up a crowd without getting a guaranteed yellow. I love the fact that he's passionate and getting the crowd into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not criticizing him for celebrating a goal but for how it will affect the team. There's lots of ways to whip up a crowd without getting a guaranteed yellow. I love the fact that he's passionate and getting the crowd into it.
    It's his first yellow so it probably won't.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QUOTE=OgtheDim;1604457]Next day ruminations on the game:

• On the winning goal, the wind held up their goalies punt, for the only time in the whole game. We effectively had a 3 on 2 after that. I call Hand of God.
    • I remember watching the 100th anniversary of the Kop, and that barnacle Neil Warnock switched sides so that Liverpool attacked the Kop in the first half. Liverpool won. Ever since then, I've always thought managers that switch sides on the home team are equally barnacles on the side of football. And it came back to bite the Crew as they were facing into the rain in the second half.
    • We don't get ourselves into positions to shoot enough. Then again, with Braun and Brockie as a forward tandem, we are playing with the B team.
    • Bendik was at fault on the goal, of course. And then he bailed us out with some great saves.
    • Once again, we played the ball out of the back.
    • I love Osorio, I really do. His touches and passes were off in the second half. But, as Nelsen said, he never stopped running and he took his goal well.
    • Although I admire the lad, doing a Forlan?
    • Caldwell practices headers in warmup. The man is a beast in the air. And his positioning is excellent. And, he's good with ball at his feet. I'd rate him over Chad Marshall.
    • Teams are starting to go wide and then pulling in for a shot. That is far more easy to defend. BUT, you have to have position on the winger/forward moving in. When we don't, which happens to Morgan and Henry at least twice a game, we have issues.
    • Laba moved up the pitch a bit more often. His passing in the final third is still a bit off. But nobody has an easy day with him around. Beast of a destroyer. He's our best midfielder ever.
    • Lambe as a RB. Hopefully never again. He went out and moved forward. But he got caught out in defence at least once.
    • Rey did a rugby tackle and it cost us a scary moment with a free kick. He's going to have to get used to how to play defensively in this league.
    • Hall's days as a starter are numbered now. Osorio and Laba in the middle worked well as a tandem. Hall tried but he's just not good enough technically.
    • Rey has great instincts and goes places instead of hanging around. He's going to fit in well on the left with Osorio in the middle.
    • Braun and Brockie as a tandem..........ugh. Braun doesn't have enough pace to get off a shot and Brockie seems to always be going in the wrong space.
    • Henry's yellow could have been called a penalty. Player got in front of him.
    • Morgan ok going forward but he's not a great passer of the ball. And, defensively, he's the weakest link.
    • Convey finally had a game we should expect of him. Moved off the ball, crossed well. Passed well. Not perfect but good enough.
    • Our free kicks and corners are awful (with the exception of the Caldwell into the post move which the goalie should have taken)
    • The ref - missed a lot. And his inconsistencies about when to call a stoppage due to an injury was maddening. BUT, he controlled the game and didn't let it boil over, which it easily could have. He didn't reach for the yellows too much. I'd say he's a work in progress.
    • Columbus guys seem to like to spend time on the ground. ODouro is quite the whiner.

All in all, we didn't steal that match. And we saw a lot of progress. There were a lot of cruddy things happening, but most of those are going to get resolved.

I don't think its a watershed moment. But I do think it was a reminder to the players and to management that the home team winning means a bigger louder more festive crowd. We'll see. If we can steal a result in NE, the crowd for Seattle might be actually what is announced. [/QUOTE]

amazing we watched the same game,..which sometimes around here makes me wonder, ....nice assessment,....I was amazed by Caldwell taking constant headers at warm-up,....those Scots..pretty tough wvwn in practice .. one could see how he was ready for any headers coming into his area, and on the missed goal, it was simply too fine,,,great effort. On Rey, he has the European coaching one can see, but he isn't quick and may be a bit heavy handed , (which one would think is perfect for MLS?). He wasn't a stand-out in the reserves but fitness and understanding our ref's may be a factor?. Not sure about Henry deserving a yellow , the opponents 'D', do similar consistantly, Osorio was dropped on a scoring chance and waved off....Laba is unbelievable and a player every youngster should watch the whole game! And you are right, our final goal all started with the floating goal kick and defender losing possession....IF we can consistently score hopefully Morgan can simplify to his role and work on his weakness's, I hope so. I am totally behind Henry esp with his mentoring by Caldwell. I hate being on Lambe's case but if we get rid of Silva, why is he still here?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all !!

Great celebration, a player with a passion for the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Let it marinate.
    I live in shame forever........not much shuts me up..I believe you have found it..........this may marinate a wee bit too long...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally you'd have more of a case, but Oduro is lightning fast. Moment Morgan takes a step forward and shifts body's momentum, Oduro likely would have blown by Morgan (and you'd rag on Morgan for that)

To defend against a pacy attacker, you give him a bit more room. And Oduro took a shot on a half volley on a bad angle. Nobody really expected him to take a shot from there.
    Fair, and you are right if he had blown by Morgan and crossed it I would definitely have ragged on Morgan for that as well. He is just weak this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    you're respectfully entitled to your opinion but Morgan with all his inexperience is definitely not slow.......that is why he has developed the way he has , playing against less qualified players he could afford to run up the field and attack because he would always outrun any miscues and get back in time to catch the opposition, (a la Marvin Wynn). In the pro's, players aren't as easy to catch up to. For me , if I'm last man back , defending the wing, I'm concentrating on stopping the SURE goal from a pass to the central higher percentage scoring area in the centre AND the goaler wants to see the shooter esp from the LOW precentage wing position. Not to mention his angle and distance were perfect to read. I usually get aggressive though (a la Ecks,)(in my dreams.), and then the attacker simply patiently beats me, then is in alone........1 on 1, is a misnomer because your keeper is YOUR 2nd man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen reaction after Wiederman goal was hilarious!

It was worth it to get soared with rain in the end. Obviously, our defenders weren't great, but the Crew didn't exactly create much and their fluke goal was on Bendik not Morgan.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He did what we all wanted and needed...I mean how frustrating is it for the players, ....to lose always.....when they want to win, and retain a winning attitude that we as a team need. I''l have him him on my team forever.....as well as Canada could use a little of that....release the hounds!!!!
    Will they next critique the usually composed Nelson for jumping up like a kid after Weidmans goal? Sports are passion FFS....it's not like we do this every 5 minutes.
    Last edited by jazzy; 07-28-2013 at 11:21 AM.