Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    This team will never show and progress until MLSE sells the franchise

I don't think MLSE made this decision. They okayed it.

Who was this mystery owner you wanted? Maybe the people that own the Jays...

Anyway...here's what Og said about our last captain..

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In the spirit of loopy conjecture.

We transfer O'Dea to Shakhtar Donetsk.

In return Donestk sends out on loan, http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/alan...er_104505.html to Internacional (5 days ago)

Who plays at Internacional again? Forlan you say? Well imagine that.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 07-15-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have any idea of what the transfer fee is for O'Dea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

His tweet afterwards didn't help. It's obvious he was given little choice. The club said we don't want you. We've found a way to get rid of you. Do you want to take it? Seems kinda douchey to me.
    When it comes to dealing with personnel there have been A LOT of thing done by TFC that can be described that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would they dramatically send O'Dea home minutes before a game, when there is no actual news of a deal completed days after? They couldn't wait to send out the press release yet nothing has actually happened?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Why would they dramatically send O'Dea home minutes before a game, when there is no actual news of a deal completed days after? They couldn't wait to send out the press release yet nothing has actually happened?
    They didn`t send him minutes before a game.

He left around noon that day.

They only announced it seconds after the lineups for the SKC game was announced. Most likely because the team he is going to didn`t want him to play, as a precaution. Can you imagine him not playing in that game and then TFC NOT saying anything because they were waiting for the details?

As for nothing being announced, he was sent home to complete the details. When those details are ready, I`m sure we`ll know.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When results arent there. . heads roll.
    Not surprised by this.

Why is it so tough (for TFC) to put a half decent squad out there?
    Im not saying challenge for a title. .. . or even make play offs. .
    the apathy in me is at an all time high.

"All we are saying. . . is to not be a complete embarrassment"
    "All we are saying. . . is leave us with our pride"
    "All we are saying. . . is not get prison raped every week"
    "All we are saying. . . is not be the leagues bitch"
    "All we are saying. . . is win more than 3"?
    "All we are saying. . . is give us a Shot on goal"
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So he is going to something called FC Metalurh Donetsk. The secondary team in Donetsk.

This team plays in a stadium that seats ..... 5000 people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalurh_Stadium_(Donetsk)

Who else is wondering if this is some sort of cap circumvention game by TFC (ie a buyout disguised as a transfer to a mysterious partner, so that it doesn't hit the cap)?

I suppose it's also possible that this is all legit. But you never know in that part of the world.

I predict O'Dea has to play a few games, keep his mouth shut, collect his dough, and he'll be back in the UK on a free in 6 months.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ That looks bleak, but this is hopeful : http://www.wikistadiums.org/shakhtar-stadium/511

Shakhtar Stadium is a football stadium located in the city/town of Donetsk in Ukraine, Europe. Shakhtar Stadium has a maximum stadium capacity of 31718 spectators. FC Metalurh Donetsk are the main occupants of the stadium. FC Metalurh Donetsk play their domestic home football fixtures at Shakhtar Stadium.
    edit - bah - who can you believe these days ? Not that this needs to be debated, but the team wiki has this :

Metalurh has its own small stadium named after the club, Metalurh Stadium. For most domestic matches the club plays at this stadium, which has a capacity barely in excess of 5,000. For games expected to draw a significantly larger crowd, Metalurh plays at Shakhtar Stadium, owned by Shakhtar Donetsk. The Shakhtar Stadium is mostly used for the European competitions. A new stadium with a capacity of 17,500 is under construction in Makiivka, near Donetsk. It will be the new home ground of Metalurh Donetsk.
    I'm going to conclude that the wikistadiums link is actually for Shaktar Donetsk's pitch.

In any case, his tweets seemed to indicate he enjoyed going to Leaf, Raptor, Jay games, etc. while he was here. Hopefully he'll enjoy himself as much there.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 07-18-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So he is going to something called FC Metalurh Donetsk. The secondary team in Donetsk.

Who else is wondering if this is some sort of cap circumvention game by TFC (ie a buyout disguised as a transfer to a mysterious partner, so that it doesn't hit the cap)?

I suppose it's also possible that this is all legit. But you never know in that part of the world.

I predict O'Dea has to play a few games, keep his mouth shut, collect his dough, and he'll be back in the UK on a free in 6 months.

Could be a team owner who wants to brag about having internationals on his squad but can't afford bigger names. Unless, of course, Leiweke and Payne have connections to the Ukraine mob or something...
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Hey Jack, spare me the gratuitous tinfoil bit. I said it may or may not be legit. I'm guessing you don't know much about Ukrainian football. You could try google first next time.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/fo...alurh-donetsk/

So in the end, it was about money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    From the article:
    Heading into an option year, O’Dea took to Twitter shortly after leaving Toronto FC hours before its game in Kansas City last weekend, saying he wanted to stay but that it wasn’t his choice.
    It was his choice. He chose not to accept a lower salary.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Hey Jack, spare me the gratuitous tinfoil bit. I said it may or may not be legit. I'm guessing you don't know much about Ukrainian football. You could try google first next time.
    You're a big boy, I'm sure you can take a bit of joking about your conspiracy theories. I don't need to google Ukrainian football to have doubts about a theory that MLSE and TFC are making shady deals with shady Ukrainian clubs. If you'd care to enlighten me, I'd be happy to hear your reasoning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be surprised is Leiweke is bringing some of the cap tricks that LA used here to TO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know if a transfer fee is involved?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    You're a big boy, I'm sure you can take a bit of joking about your conspiracy theories. I don't need to google Ukrainian football to have doubts about a theory that MLSE and TFC are making shady deals with shady Ukrainian clubs. If you'd care to enlighten me, I'd be happy to hear your reasoning.
    I hope TFC are making shady deals. We've wondered for years if there were ways such a big company with so many resources could get some advantage...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know who in there right mind would pay a fee for O'Dea. I seriously doubt we are get any significant fee, this is just a move to clear salary and the amount is probably under 50K to make it look legit. I don't think Ensco's idea is too farfetched, the team desperately needed to clear this contract of the books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback6 View Post
    Personally, I am very happy with this move. O'Dea is complete shite. He plays like someone who is watching a pack of dobermans run him down. Scared. And he was personally responsible for as many defensive errors/goals a game as much younger, and inexperienced players. Good riddance.

The timing, however, is horrible. Toronto FC, is a misnomer. It is a company, and it treats it's players like employees, rather than athletes. No concept of morale, or morals!!
    Sure thing Skippy...so a STARTER for Ireland isn't good enough for a complete crap team like TFC? LOL! You obviously know nothing about football...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Sure thing Skippy...so a STARTER for Ireland isn't good enough for a complete crap team like TFC? LOL! You obviously know nothing about football...
    He's on their national team but he's no starter. He's an ok player but he was a ridiculous signing for this team. It's a fantastic move to let him go.. especially considering having him in the lineup only resulted in 2 wins this year. He's replaceable buy cheaper options in the back, but we need that money for better talent up front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Like Eugene, I've spent enough time around large corporate environments -- including investigating them on a multi-month, forensic level -- and I'd be stunned if it WEREN'T some kind of shady deal with the club in Ukraine.

You'll probably found it was bought by some recent Ukrainian petro oligarch, aka gangster. He can pay him a ton, at O'Dea will have signed with strong release conditions, as the older players do in the Chinese and UAE leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Dea was more than good enough for TFC - he was just too expensive. Yes he made errors, but you don't tend to find too many players at this level that do not. In the backline of a competent team though, I think he'd be a great MLS player.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Like Eugene, I've spent enough time around large corporate environments -- including investigating them on a multi-month, forensic level -- and I'd be stunned if it WEREN'T some kind of shady deal with the club in Ukraine.

You'll probably found it was bought by some recent Ukrainian petro oligarch, aka gangster. He can pay him a ton, at O'Dea will have signed with strong release conditions, as the older players do in the Chinese and UAE leagues.
    Ok, well I'll take you and Eugene's word for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    I hope TFC are making shady deals. We've wondered for years if there were ways such a big company with so many resources could get some advantage...
    What's the Italian collective cap hit in Montreal again? Less than $500,00 for all of them? Anyone else wonder who's paying their rent (food expenses, travel expenses, tax hit etc etc etc).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    What's the Italian collective cap hit in Montreal again? Less than $500,00 for all of them? Anyone else wonder who's paying their rent (food expenses, travel expenses, tax hit etc etc etc).
    You think TFC wasn't paying for all those to O'Dea? Almost every club in professional sports does this. And Montreal is not at 500k.. Lol be reasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You think TFC wasn't paying for all those to O'Dea? Almost every club in professional sports does this. And Montreal is not at 500k.. Lol be reasonable.
    DiVaio is a DP so he's whatever the DP max cap hit is 368,370
    Ferrari is 240
    Nesta is 260
    Paponi is 72
    Pisanu is 100

A lot more than 500 k but its still decent money management if you ask me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/18...snt-acceptable

Great article by Larson shedding some light on what went down.

"They put forward a contract that would have extended my term, but it wasn't acceptable," O'Dea said. "I don't mean that in a harsh way, it was a very good contract in terms of the league."
    When asked to unpack that statement, O'Dea steered clear of the details, but did say the Sun's assumption that it was at least half as much as his original deal was accurate. He confirmed the offer would have extended his stay by at least two seasons.
    He also said on twitter it was a free transfer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    DiVaio is a DP so he's whatever the DP max cap hit is 368,370
    Ferrari is 240
    Nesta is 260
    Paponi is 72
    Pisanu is 100

A lot more than 500 k but its still decent money management if you ask me.
    Montreal has more than 5 players...

But this isnt here nor there... the fact that some teams have a better way of managing cap is no secret.

But I have to agree with Jack and wonder why you guys think there's funny business behind the O'Dea deal? Metalurh is a mid-table Ukrainian team with enough money - They saw an opportunity to grab an Irish international and a decent young player that was WAY outta place in the MLS for free, and jumped on it. They're happy, we're happy.
    Last edited by Ivy; 07-18-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooooooo......... Anybody who was railing on here about TFC being bush league and a joke amongst the squad and football world for dumping the captain right before Saturdays match now have anything to say now the O' Dea himself confirmed he orchestrated his own exit because he didn't want a pay cut? And for us sticking him in shitty Ukraine, you can nix thought too because he picked it (due to money) and if anything it's pretty damn nice for the FO to let him negotiate his own transfer while being under contract and walking away during a short staffed stretch.

Tin foil hats indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Montreal has more than 5 players...

But this isnt here nor there... the fact that some teams have a better way of managing cap is no secret.

But I have to agree with Jack and wonder why you guys think there's funny business behind the O'Dea deal? Metalurh is a mid-table Ukrainian team with enough money - They saw an opportunity to grab an Irish international and a decent young player that was WAY outta place in the MLS for free, and jumped on it. They're happy, we're happy.
    I was just citing the italian player wages.

I don't know if there was anything fishy about the O'Dea move. I don't care either. However it was done, it was done. The only issue I took with it was how quick they had to act. He makes the trip to Kansas and then goes back home? LOL

IF we are in the running for Forlan I can tell you unequivocally that Internacional is not keeping him out of the lineup to protect the move. But apparently we had to pull O'Dea at the last second? Seems bush league to me.

O'Dea seemed like a good guy but his wage was too high from day one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably partially because Inter wouldnt care much if Forlan got injured as much as TFC would if ODea would. There will always be a market for a player like Forlan, but TFC was dire to get rid of ODea ASAP. regardless, O'Dea doesn't seem to have an issue with how he was handled (unlike many many many other TFC players before him) so I dont think we should either.