Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAs the sky fallen yet?
    Apparently, judging by the reaction Silva was holding the world together.

oh, and have you all seen this: (If this is super old, I apologise)

NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morning D

RPB Summer Tourney Info has been posted, link in my signature

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post

oh, and have you all seen this: (If this is super old, I apologise)

oh my.
    Hadn't seen/heard about that. Now occurs to me hadn't seen that banner up since about the time it appeared. damn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Frei is back in California "figuring out some Visa issues" and Califf is a guy we never should have signed because he was injured all along and his career might be over...according to Nelsen.

Incredible.

I hope Bendik is looking over his shoulder right now because any injury may see him leaving the club.

Somebody please explain to me why, in this fucking horrendous season that is already lost, they couldn't find time to play Frei when he got healthy?

If they had split some playing time between he and Bendik we may actually have another asset on the bench that could be moved. Now we have 1 goalie who has been good for us (but every goalie looks good for us because we're so bad in front of them) and another who has been great for us in the past who has since gone home.

I'd love to have a beer with Milos Kocic and Stefan Frei and get them speaking candidly about TFC. LOL

I'm sorry but this is piss poor player management by Nelsen.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect Frei's Visa issues are related to getting his US green card updated. He will be traded to a US team, mark my words.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure that if TFC had made it back to CCL then Frei would have started all those games. Not making it even to the Canadian finals sealed his fate. Still, the team might have shown some flexibility by letting him start on midweek dates or something.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I expect Frei's Visa issues are related to getting his US green card updated. He will be traded to a US team, mark my words.
    If he'd got his Canadian Citizenship, would Frei be eligible to play for Canada? Same goes for some of the other players for TFC, like Eckersley.

I hope we get a chance to sing to him:
    Thank you, Stefan Frei
    When you were in net, Nothing got by
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    If he'd got his Canadian Citizenship, would Frei be eligible to play for Canada? Same goes for some of the other players for TFC, like Eckersley.I hope we get a chance to sing to him:Thank you, Stefan FreiWhen you were in net, Nothing got by
    Except being hit for 6 in Montreal.....that wasn't all on him though, of course.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Somebody please explain to me why, in this fucking horrendous season that is already lost, they couldn't find time to play Frei when he got healthy?
    Because they found a solid keeper in Bendik who makes a proper MLS GK salary who never had a good run of matches in his Portland time. He got the chance here, looked good/earned the spot, and will gain experience and get to work on his soft areas during competitive matches to make him one full season better when 2014 rolls around. Having Frei at $200K wouldn't continue after this season and there is no guarantee that putting him in there would have helped him in any way if he got shelled, wouldn't help us to build if we were getting beat like we did for our first 6 seasons, and wouldn't help our future GK who would be sitting on the bench when he should be starting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we get a chance to sing to him
    There's something really silly about that sentence lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he'd got his Canadian Citizenship, would Frei be eligible to play for Canada? Same goes for some of the other players for TFC, like Eckersley.

I hope we get a chance to sing to him:
    Thank you, Stefan Frei
    When you were in net, Nothing got by
    He has to live here for 5 years straight and get his Canadian citizenship to be eligible to play for national team. Same applies to Ecks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    He has to live here for 5 years straight and get his Canadian citizenship to be eligible to play for national team. Same applies to Ecks.
    He has been here since 2009, so he might be eligible before next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    He has been here since 2009, so he might be eligible before next season.
    Assuming that Frei wants to play for Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Because they found a solid keeper in Bendik who makes a proper MLS GK salary who never had a good run of matches in his Portland time. He got the chance here, looked good/earned the spot, and will gain experience and get to work on his soft areas during competitive matches to make him one full season better when 2014 rolls around. Having Frei at $200K wouldn't continue after this season and there is no guarantee that putting him in there would have helped him in any way if he got shelled, wouldn't help us to build if we were getting beat like we did for our first 6 seasons, and wouldn't help our future GK who would be sitting on the bench when he should be starting.
    Why would he get shelled? Bendik is no better than Frei. They're both very capable keepers. The ONLY reason Bendik looks so good to us (exact same reason Frei and Kocic looked good) is because we are so bad in front of them. When you're a keeper and your team is bad it gives you multiple chances per game to shine. Shots are coming from break downs, from outside the box, and the opposition gasp at their opportunity and put a quick shot towards goal. Those are the ones that make the keeper look better than he is. We ooh and ahh in the crowd and the keeper gains confidence because he's made a routine save look like a great one.

Frei should have been afforded the opportunity in this LOST season to play a few games. If not for trade value (which I think would have risen had he played) then out of sheer respect for the guy. It's not like we can't afford to rest Bendik a game or two because we're on some march to the playoffs. Each game has had the same amount of meaning so far this year, which is is to say, not much.

How long before our "future" goalkeeper (Bendik) becomes the 200k keeper that is passed over because he picks up an injury and can never earn his spot back?

It's ruthless what they've done. And I can live with ruthless when it's a matter of making the playoffs or making sure you continue to be one of the best teams in the league but we are neither of those things.

We let Frei waste on the bench and will get nothing out of him any more other than a negative opinion of the current TFC regime when he's finally officially gone.

Btw..plenty of teams in the league have started more than one keeper in regular MLS games this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to have Frei between the sticks for us but there are two big knocks against Frei, salary and health.

You can build a quality team with a GKs salary in Frei's range. Rimando is on 170k with RSL, Nielsen is at 200k in KC and Kasey Keller was making about 250k with Seattle with a lower cap.

Problem is that if your keeper is in that salary range he needs to play as much as those guys did. With all the injuries Frei's had vs Bednik's performance, salary and health in comparison Frei just can't win that battle. Add in that KP hand picked Bednik and I'm sorry to say that Frei's time is likely done.

I'm holding out hope that Frei gets in the Roma match so I can cheer for him one more time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just posted my new story at sportsnet.ca:

TFC coach Nelsen: 'Playoffs still attainable'

John Molinaro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post

John Molinaro
    Yes, but we can't afford many missteps. Every game is pretty much a must-win moving forward. Hope we'll get this huge DP player that Leiweke and Payne promised - or I'm done listening to both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro
    Another good piece. Thanks for that John.

Two interesting/troubling quotes:

Of course. Every game we look to win. The attitude has been absolutely fantastic. The fans can’t argue with the attitude of the players, or the performance of the players. It’s obviously the results that are not good enough,” Nelsen said.

Captain Darren O’Dea agreed with his coach’s assessment.

“We’ve performed well in a lot of games for large parts. But I suppose when it’s really come down to the crunch time we’ve conceded at poor times,” O’Dea admitted. “Performance-wise, we’re nearly where we want to be, but certainly results-wise we’re miles off.”

The fans can't argue with the performance of the players? Is that so? LOL
    Performance wise we're nearly where we want to be? Is that so? LOL

We're 13 points behind the last place playoff team right now and there are 3 teams between us and them. We have 17 games to go. We have 2 wins all year. We probably need 9 or 10 wins in our last 17 games to close that gap AND jump all the other teams ahead of us.

I guess its mathematically possible but if we have a chance then I guess Chivas and DCU do too. LOL

It's one thing for Nelsen to say that we've improved since the start of the season. I'd even agree with him. But to suggest that the playoffs are absolutely still in the picture is pure horse shit. I guess we're in it until we're mathematically eliminated. I'm sure we'll string together 7 or 8 wins in a row soon enough. LOL

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I trust we'll be getting those players in soon then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate that floating 'Share' bar on the sportsnet site. It is enough to keep me away from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I'd love to have a beer with Milos Kocic and Stefan Frei and get them speaking candidly about TFC. LOL
    Kocic did an interview with Anthony Totera on extra time where he basically spilled the beans. Notable nuggets were:
    1) Mariner wanted the team to “go to the pub” after games as a bonding exercise. Milos obviously thought this was nuts and in the face of modern sports nutrition
    2) Frequently referred to young players on TFC having “bad attitudes” and not understanding what it takes to make it as professionals.
    3) Some NCAA programs not being very good development wise. He referred to switching schools and trying to find a better program where he could actually receive proper training for a keeper

Big loss for TFC IMO. We threw out someone who showed leadership and wasn't simply going to accept the status quo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    1) Mariner wanted the team to “go to the pub” after games as a bonding exercise. Milos obviously thought this was nuts and in the face of modern sports nutrition
    Lol...well, we all knew he was stuck in the 80s - I just didn't realize it went that far. Let me guess, fish & chips for the postgame meal too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing wrong with "go to the pub", its all about moderation. As for playoff hopes, Nelson is delusional if he thinks we seriously have a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now we know where it went!. What a shame and waste.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There is nothing wrong with "go to the pub", its all about moderation. As for playoff hopes, Nelson is delusional if he thinks we seriously have a chance.
    It's just marketing. It's true TFC isn't mathematically eliminated, hence the hype. If you're really optimistic, you could say it's possible, teams have done that sort of turnaround before (RSL in 2009, for example). In reality, however, TFC never had a chance with the squad Mariner left and little time to rebuild, and I don't see playoffs until maybe next year.

I'm just thankful that it isn't team Mariner & Cochrane running the show, otherwise the rebuild would have been put off and be even more painful.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-10-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    I hate that floating 'Share' bar on the sportsnet site. It is enough to keep me away from it.
    Really? You hate it that much?

Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking. Never heard anyone complain about that before.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? You hate it that much?

Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking. Never heard anyone complain about that before.

John
    It is an irritant to most people I know, myself included, however not to this extent. =)

Have designers save preference in a cookie and we can turn it off for us will suffice.

I digress... lol

Thank you John for one quality articles after another. =)
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the compliment. It is very much appreciated. To be honest, though, lately I've been thinking about quitting the TFC beat at the end of this season. So enjoy my articles on TFC while you can.

John