Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Just posted my new story at sportsnet.ca:

TFC coach Nelsen: 'Playoffs still attainable'

John Molinaro
    Hard to be positive, but it is mathematically possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? You hate it that much?

Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking. Never heard anyone complain about that before.

John
    I only just noticed it reading this article, and it really annoyed me too I have to say. Funny that people raised it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Kocic did an interview with Anthony Totera on extra time where he basically spilled the beans. Notable nuggets were:
    1) Mariner wanted the team to “go to the pub” after games as a bonding exercise. Milos obviously thought this was nuts and in the face of modern sports nutrition
    And then freaked out when some players got arrested for being drunk and dumped them. What a clown.

3) Some NCAA programs not being very good development wise. He referred to switching schools and trying to find a better program where he could actually receive proper training for a keeper
    Apparently the first one he was in, the coach had them doing all running and no actual soccer drills. Which is pretty much useless for the outfielders, let alone the GKs who don't even need to run

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's just marketing. It's true TFC isn't mathematically eliminated, hence the hype. If you're really optimistic, you could say it's possible, teams have done that sort of turnaround before (RSL in 2009, for example). In reality, however, TFC never had a chance with the squad Mariner left and little time to rebuild, and I don't see playoffs until maybe next year.

I'm just thankful that it isn't team Mariner & Cochrane running the show, otherwise the rebuild would have been put off and be even more painful.
    Yeah, if Mariner was still here, we probably wouldn't have a Silva to trade for allocation, Osorio wouldn't have been signed, We'd have three old DPs and no Laba, we'd have a bunch of players from Scandinavia on O'Dea sized contracts, We'd have a guy like Freddy Hall backing up Frei, and we'd still have plugs like Wiedeman and Amarikwa starting most games.

As for Nelsen's comments about being able to make the playoffs, he has to say that. If he said that they're effectively out, people would be freaking out at him for being a quitter when we're still mathematically in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the compliment. It is very much appreciated. To be honest, though, lately I've been thinking about quitting the TFC beat at the end of this season. So enjoy my articles on TFC while you can.

John
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Give this team one more season/chance before you move on please
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There is nothing wrong with "go to the pub", its all about moderation. As for playoff hopes, Nelson is delusional if he thinks we seriously have a chance.
    You'd have to listen to the interview to get a better sense of it, but it did not sound like moderation and keeping the requirements of the modern athlete in mind where the orders of the day.

As far as Nelsen's quotes go, I'm getting a little annoyed at this idea that we aren't been outplayed. Maybe we're not being outworked, but we are less talented and less effective. TFC isn't at the bottom of the standings by accident.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-10-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? You hate it that much?

Not trolling, I'm genuinely asking. Never heard anyone complain about that before.

John
    I do. I will go to their site to read your articles, but for general sports news I go elsewhere. I find it very distracting when trying to scroll through an article. I have no problem with a site encouraging people to 'share' their content, but its like that site is yelling 'share!, share!, share!' with every paragraph I read. Mostly it is just a visual distraction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. well, I'll pass along your comments to the developers and see if we can do anything about it.

John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There is nothing wrong with "go to the pub", its all about moderation. As for playoff hopes, Nelson is delusional if he thinks we seriously have a chance.
    Who knows, that might be how Paul Gascoigne got his start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the compliment. It is very much appreciated. To be honest, though, lately I've been thinking about quitting the TFC beat at the end of this season. So enjoy my articles on TFC while you can.

John
    How could you possibly want to leave the TFC beat? It's the plum gig of the MLS. Most writers love a good shit-show. You get to wake up to a different one every day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John
    That would be a terrible shame. You're easily my most favourite TFC sports writer. You're also excellent on podcasts, the Soccer Show, etc.. Hope you decide to stick around, although I can understand why you would want the break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    That would be a terrible shame. You're easily my most favourite TFC sports writer. You're also excellent on podcasts, the Soccer Show, etc.. Hope you decide to stick around, although I can understand why you would want the break.
    I agree!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the kind words. Very nice of you to say. Nothing is decided, and I'll likely continue doing it.

I can deal with the losing, but to be honest covering this team isn't as fun as you used to be - even even the first three years, it was still fun to cover them. It's got me bummed now, but like I said, I'll probably keep covering the team.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please John continue. I understand what your saying. It's really hard for the hardcore and loyal fans. We trust no one to get the facts then you and Kurt. You guy's ask the hard questions, so the fans know the honest truth.

We appreciate how hard it is to cover this club. Believe us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you keep at it too, John. You bring a nice mix of talent and legitimacy.

Plus you're willing to pop up on a msg board to respond to questions. That is also very much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the kind words. Very nice of you to say. Nothing is decided, and I'll likely continue doing it.

I can deal with the losing, but to be honest covering this team isn't as fun as you used to be - even even the first three years, it was still fun to cover them. It's got me bummed now, but like I said, I'll probably keep covering the team.

John
    Face it, you're one of us - condemned to suffer along with us

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

John
    Totally understand, but imagine how it is in some other MLS markets. Even the successful clubs barely get a mention in the local media, if at all. Hope you continue, John.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John
    Help bring a MLS team to Vaughan. That will be fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Help bring a MLS team to Vaughan. That will be fun.
    And watch them make the playoffs in Year 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chime me in as one who hope you would stay on for at least another year, john. I have a good feeling that next year we'll start to see some good soccer and more hope in what has been a pretty hopeless past few seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    And watch them make the playoffs in Year 2.
    Dude that is impossible it takes at least 5 years.