Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    He's 24. That's not that young in soccer years anymore. Maybe he stopped progressing because that's as good as he's going to get (other than experience - I just mean skills).
    Even if his skill set didn't improve, how do you explain his effectiveness not so long ago?

He may not have gotten better in the last year or so but there's no way he's regressed. At least I don't think he has. We'll see how he does at DCU.

Moving him because we have other options and other players coming in can be justified. Moving him for allocation money is an indicator that he wasn't highly rated to begin with. (unless its a boat load of cash in allocation)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    For those of you who are saying that Osorio has made Silva expendable (which I somewhat agree with)...just remember when Silva first made his way on to this team.

How he looked. How much promise he had.

Now he's gone and we're saying he's been passed by a kid who has barely played 5-6 good games strung together. I hope Osorio doesn't have the same fate as Silva in a year or two.

So much for developing players. I thought Silva had the skills needed to be molded in to a viable attacking player in MLS. Maybe he still does. Problem is, we weren't able to bring it out.

When exactly did he stop progressing? LOL
    I think Silva may be another example of a player who wasted his best development years in NCAA. He clearly has talent, but would have been better off developing in a professional environment. NCAA is not the best development route for players adn by the time they are done, some of them have missed the boat a bit.
    I wish Silva well and hope he has a great career (except against us) but I don't think he was our long term solution. Hopeflly Osorio works out better over time, but only time will tell.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I didn't. His play improved a bit recently but I don't see him as a game changer, even in the future. Hopefully besides Forlan this helps score these other 3 or 4 players that are on the radar.
    Bingo...he has looked poor all year. They had high hopes, but its not working out. Bekker, Osorio hold more promise and are younger. Not to mention players we may be trying to get.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Sure Forlan and Urruti will make this much easier to accept - I just wish we'd see more evidence of these attacking players incoming before we made these trades, that's all.
    Might need to move him first to make it fit under the cap. If we need his salary + the allocation for the new players to come in, he would have to move first.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The only issue I see is if Silva turns into a Dero, a later bloomer who will really start to play well once he reaches 27,28.
    This is a possibility, but even if he has success in 3 or 4 years and we are winning, will it be a problem?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    At 24 I don't think Silva has much more development. But I agree he has stalled at TFC for whatever reason. He'll probably kick ass in DC.
    Ok, not to say this is the comparison, but devil's advocate here.... Graham Zusi didn't do much his first couple of years in MLS. He broke out in his third year and continued massively improving since then. So it's not like every player stays static in their mid 20s. Lot of guys in this league are late bloomers since NCAA isn't usually developing players the way me might like. Anyway, if they think he's going to improve, they should understand what his mentality is, what he's all about, etc... Maybe they don't think he's got the mental makeup to make the most of his talents? But I wouldn't rule out him getting better.

That being said, for every Graham Zusi, there were probably 10-12 Chad Barretts, who wore the potential tag for wayyy too long and never amounted to anything.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even if his skill set didn't improve, how do you explain his effectiveness not so long ago?

He may not have gotten better in the last year or so but there's no way he's regressed. At least I don't think he has. We'll see how he does at DCU.
    He's had some good moments, but really there are not very many players on our team who can lay claim to being very effective this season.

Moving him because we have other options and other players coming in can be justified. Moving him for allocation money is an indicator that he wasn't highly rated to begin with. (unless its a boat load of cash in allocation)
    I'm not sure if that's an accurate assessment. Moving him for allocation might mean we have better players coming in and need that money for them, rather than trading for someone off of DC's shitty roster.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you who are saying that Osorio has made Silva expendable (which I somewhat agree with)...just remember when Silva first made his way on to this team.

How he looked. How much promise he had.

Now he's gone and we're saying he's been passed by a kid who has barely played 5-6 good games strung together. I hope Osorio doesn't have the same fate as Silva in a year or two.

So much for developing players. I thought Silva had the skills needed to be molded in to a viable attacking player in MLS. Maybe he still does. Problem is, we weren't able to bring it out.

When exactly did he stop progressing? LOL
    He only really progressed when Mariner was here. Maybe we should have kept Mariner and then Silva would have thrived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Maybe we should have kept Mariner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Ok, not to say this is the comparison, but devil's advocate here.... Graham Zusi didn't do much his first couple of years in MLS. He broke out in his third year and continued massively improving since then. So it's not like every player stays static in their mid 20s. Lot of guys in this league are late bloomers since NCAA isn't usually developing players the way me might like. Anyway, if they think he's going to improve, they should understand what his mentality is, what he's all about, etc... Maybe they don't think he's got the mental makeup to make the most of his talents? But I wouldn't rule out him getting better.

That being said, for every Graham Zusi, there were probably 10-12 Chad Barretts, who wore the potential tag for wayyy too long and never amounted to anything."

Yeah, that's entirely possible. He's looked good enough at times to potentially be that player. He needs more of a backbone for that to happen. He really fades out out games. I like him, but objectively I can see why they made this move.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh*

There'd better be more cards delt here.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about it more....I just wonder why they couldn't find ways to use him.

If Forlan and Urruti are coming I'd think that the playing style is going to morph in to something that would have catered to Silva's game.

I mean who plays where?

Urruti up top with Koev?

Forlan in the hole behind them?

Where does that leave Osorio?

Does Reggie fucking Lambe still go out there with these guys? LOL I mean he's no winger. Darrell Russell? LOL

Why not try a pairing of Laba and one of the offensive guys (Silva/Osorio) as deep lying mids. One as a destroyer and the other as the Regista. Link up with Forlan.

Who knows? LOL

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for Frei, all the teams that were interested in him went out and got keepers. He is stuck until his contract runs out.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently Frei and Koevermans aren't in training. Koef may be hurt again (I think Ensco was right on his observations from the last game).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, this is intriguing!

I agree with most that Osorio's form and younger age does make Silva a trade-able asset. But still, this is a bold move from TFC!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Might need to move him first to make it fit under the cap. If we need his salary + the allocation for the new players to come in, he would have to move first.
    Yeah, that's true, I wasn't factoring that into the equation. He has not looked good this year, but I still had high hopes for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure this is bold but Payne and Nelsen promised big action during this summer window and with the shitty MLS salary cap any big moves would involve a certain amount of sacrifice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Important thought; why is Lambe still here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    As for Frei, all the teams that were interested in him went out and got keepers. He is stuck until his contract runs out.
    I'd like to know why we couldn't possibly swing a deal with vancouver.

They badly needed a keeper and had Omar Salgado and Mattocks as surplus. Both would have been a good fit for Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just wondering why the team still rates Hall and Lambe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Wow, this is intriguing!

I agree with most that Osorio's form and younger age does make Silva a trade-able asset. But still, this is a bold move from TFC!
    This has to mean there is someone either younger with more upside or someone older with better skills coming down the pipes... but yeah, very balsy move to trade a pretty highly regarded player; alot of pundits seem to agree about his skills, but yeah, he's kinda hit a wall here; i think there wasn't alot of consensus as to where he should play in Nelsen's setup...

right now, i'm not liking this move, but it all depends what those Garber-bucks will be used for...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    I'm just wondering why the team still rates Hall and Lambe.
    I only have a problem with Hall starting, not so much being on the team. Think he's exactly the type of player you'd want to come off the bench.

Lambe we can only assume his contract was guaranteed by short pants, because otherwise his continued existence defies logic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate trades. Hate it so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I hate trades. Hate it so much.
    .. a trade for imaginary money makes it so much worse...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What effectiveness not so long ago?

He's got ball skills. His work rate is suspect and he's never found a position. He had about three consecutive games playing upfront last year when he was good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I only have a problem with Hall starting, not so much being on the team. Think he's exactly the type of player you'd want to come off the bench.

Lambe we can only assume his contract was guaranteed by short pants, because otherwise his continued existence defies logic.
    Wasn't a big fan of him off the bench last match. Rather have Bekker off the bench or even Russell if he sticks around. Lambe is shite.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to know why we couldn't possibly swing a deal with vancouver.

They badly needed a keeper and had Omar Salgado and Mattocks as surplus. Both would have been a good fit for Toronto.
    They tried but tough to do with his contract and injury status.

As for Koev....injurted. I heard last night. Not sure how serious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    .. a trade for imaginary money makes it so much worse...
    But it probably won't when they use that allocation to pay down Urruti's contract so he doesn't count as a DP this season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind Hall, even as a starter. He's having a pretty good season overall.

But Lambe, especially being an international, I'm really not sure why you would keep him? You are right, he must have a guarantee on his contract, otherwise it makes no sense.