Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was more okay about this move prior to the O'Dea transfer (or whatever is happening with him). I could understand that we were ridiculously over the cap and need to make drastic moves to reign in some costs. However, it makes less sense to me if we have O'Dea's massive contract off the books. Do we get cap relief for O'Dea or is it just the international slot?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We get pro-rated cap relief on all the moves. So Silva is about 50K plus allocation, O'dea is 250k. Put in some of the other guys, its a pretty big chunk.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    We get pro-rated cap relief on all the moves. So Silva is about 50K plus allocation, O'dea is 250k. Put in some of the other guys, its a pretty big chunk.

and my understanding is the allocation $ for Silva are substantial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The number floating around is 1-2 million in allocation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Wow, really, that much?

Links?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Wow! That would make it a great move for TFC. Where did you see that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Number was floating around twitter can't find the tweet I seen. I think it's probably the total salary we got rid of and the allocation combined. Sure it's closer to the one million mark. Probably in the neighborhood of 750k to 1 mil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no expert in MLS salaries but how can one acquisition land us 1-2 million dollars in allocation? With a 3 million dollar cap how can DCU afford to give us 1-2 million dollars in allocation money? It sounds like way too much to me. I wish they published their allocation transactions in the league. Ahh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I'm no expert in MLS salaries but how can one acquisition land us 1-2 million dollars in allocation? With a 3 million dollar cap how can DCU afford to give us 1-2 million dollars in allocation money? It sounds like way too much to me. I wish they published their allocation transactions in the league. Ahh well.
    I'm thinking its a combination of Silvas salary and the allocation given to us by DC. The numbers probably closer to 750k. Trying to find where I seem it but its twitter and well we all know the crap that flys around there. 500k isn't a unrealistic number in terms of allocation. Especially if a team isn't going to use it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC is stupid beyond words if Silva was paid for more than 300k in allocation, and that's rare amount of allocation being swapped
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ so what I seen was blown out of purportion. Not surprised. So what do we think the number is around 100-150k? Wish allocation and salarys were alot more open then they are.

We all know how screwed we are financially because of past signings and mariner with his big guaranteed contracts. But it would give us a better understanding if we knew the numbers. Plus it would also show us that Payne isn't just blowing smoke on what were getting back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if we sold O'Dea with a transfer fee how does it work? how % do we get and is that allocation money (ie can be added to our cap number) or just cash for the team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure it's cash for the team like the Edu transfer. It's split between the leauge and us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    So if we sold O'Dea with a transfer fee how does it work? how % do we get and is that allocation money (ie can be added to our cap number) or just cash for the team?
    don't quote me, but it's something like 1/3 of the transfer fee goes to the league, 2/3 to the team. of the 2/3 to the team, max 500k can be used as allocation money, the rest is suppose to be used to upgrade the team in other ways (IE new grass for BMO Field)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    don't quote me, but it's something like 1/3 of the transfer fee goes to the league, 2/3 to the team. of the 2/3 to the team, max 500k can be used as allocation money, the rest is suppose to be used to upgrade the team in other ways (IE new grass for BMO Field)

the figures i've heard, and i have no idea what they really are and i supposed this is how 'broken telephone' works, but i heard close to $500K in allocation, 50K is salary cap for Silva and $250k salary cap and $1 mil in transfer for O'Dea - for what little it's worth....my info that is, not the $, they'd be wonderful....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, so O'Dea got us cap relief, and new grass at BMO field. We fly high.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    DC is stupid beyond words if Silva was paid for more than 300k in allocation, and that's rare amount of allocation being swapped
    DC thinks Silva is the next DeRo. $300k is not too much at all if that were true. Even a double-allocation ($600k) is conceivable. You'd get a DP-quality player at a regular salary (at least until he signs a cheque in the air). I don't think Silva is actually that good, but if they do, why not collect the cash?

DC has tonnes of allocation cash, if rumours are correct. It's useless unless you use it.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also - remember that DC just sold Rochat and would have gotten a chunk of his fee in allocation. Rumored amount of the transfer was $700k

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    DC thinks Silva is the next DeRo. $300k is not too much at all if that were true. Even a double-allocation ($600k) is conceivable. You'd get a DP-quality player at a regular salary (at least until he signs a cheque in the air). I don't think Silva is actually that good, but if they do, why not collect the cash?

DC has tonnes of allocation cash, if rumours are correct. It's useless unless you use it.
    Not that I have much faith in Dave Kaspar, but even a moron would not rate Silva who has proven jackshit that much.

If DC wants to blow their allocation money away, I have no issues but generally, MLS teams spend allocation money like miserly scrooge. (hence why teams rather trade draft picks if allocation money is too big) Star players get swapped for 500k in allocation money. Silva is not a star player.
    Last edited by Yohan; 07-16-2013 at 08:26 AM.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allocation is a funny beast. We get allocation for the finish we had last year (bottom of the league). We get more allocation for the CCL advance. They pretty much have allocation raining down from a number of places, and rules about how and when its used.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Allocation is a funny beast. We get allocation for the finish we had last year (bottom of the league). We get more allocation for the CCL advance. They pretty much have allocation raining down from a number of places, and rules about how and when its used.
    Allocation just feeds the corrupt "MLS controls the league" system IMO.

It's all hidden, hush hush secrecy so nobody really knows what's going on. Just another tool Don Garbage has to ensure he puts the players he can get, where he wants.

Toronto has fans and revenue despite being an atrocious team. Toronto meets just about every criteria for gaining Allocation money. Yet Toronto can't land players to save their own ass, while other clubs have rosters that look like we're in the wrong league when matched up.

The Don doesn't care about Canada. Someone has to be last place and I'm sure he enjoys it being Toronto, because this town loves to support losing teams. We don't vote with our wallets here. Some people pride themselves on it, to me it's foolish and counterproductive if you want real change, instead of "TFC change".

Anyways, Tim said his piece, all aboard the Maple Lip Service Express we go.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post

The Don doesn't care about Canada. Someone has to be last place and I'm sure he enjoys it being Toronto, because this town loves to support losing teams. We don't vote with our wallets here. Some people pride themselves on it, to me it's foolish and counterproductive if you want real change, instead of "TFC change".
    Partially true.

Don didn't care when TFC was selling out all of the time. However, with attendance declining, he engineered the move of Payne from DC to Toronto to straighten out the mess Anselmi had made. It was arranged directly with George Cope, CEO of Bell, right over Anselmi's head.

We tend to look at the MLS teams as strident competitors. In real life, MLS is more like a country club where everyone is friends with everyone and "competition" is playing bridge every Saturday afternoon. They all work together to ensure that MLS as a whole succeeds.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Partially true.

Don didn't care when TFC was selling out all of the time. However, with attendance declining, he engineered the move of Payne from DC to Toronto to straighten out the mess Anselmi had made. It was arranged directly with George Cope, CEO of Bell, right over Anselmi's head.

We tend to look at the MLS teams as strident competitors. In real life, MLS is more like a country club where everyone is friends with everyone and "competition" is playing bridge every Saturday afternoon. They all work together to ensure that MLS as a whole succeeds.
    Our attendance is currently 8th, a mere 100 per game off 5th.

We're really not a problem for them. This is ideal for the "league as a whole succeeding".

Anyways this thread aint about this, so I'll let it be.