Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

Nobody is saying the greatest players come from the draft but we need domestics. Plain and simple. We traded away a domestic player that actually showed some skill and vision and are likely to replace him with a couple of internationals while leaving behind complete turd players. LOL
    There's another ways to acquire skilled domestic players (academy, trades, signings). NCAA soccer is the last place to look for technical players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think most would agree that, money aside, you can get better, younger players from South/Central America than you can from the draft. I hope that's the plan here.
    I don't disagree with this at all, and I am not the biggest fan of Silva.

That being said, we need a plan to get more domestic players. Without enough quality domestics we are going to hit a plateau and have problems reaching beyond it. I really hope they don't take the partnership route with a USL team and end up going with a full blown farm team. With less and less players coming through the draft and more onus on academies, this should be an easy decision to make. But I've heard them talking partnership, far more often than I would like them to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    There's another ways to acquire skilled domestic players (academy, trades, signings). NCAA soccer is the last place to look for technical players
    Exactly...so when you find one there maybe it's a good idea to hold on to him. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly...so when you find one there maybe it's a good idea to hold on to him. LOL
    This isn't your standard NA league. A draft just helps to fill your depth and sometimes you get lucky with your pick. To think that Silva was a bonafide star is ridiculous but now that he's gone all of a sudden he was something more. We can acquire much more technical, speedy, skillful, and youthful players through transfers from abroad. I'd rather have those guys than NCAA bred players.

TFC will obviously sign someone in his place so lets not dwell on this until we see who is replacement is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piti the fool who underestimates Leiweke and Payne. We are on a path to salvation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This comment here? If I had the time I'd dig up 10 just like it from the "Cronin traded" thread in 2010.

It's hit and miss. About half the guys in the top 10 turn into something valuable. Anyways, I think Silva has shown enough that he should have been worth more than an allocation. The problem is the timing. Allocation is the scarce commodity in July, for wealthier teams.
    How many superstar players in this league come from draft? Not too many. That's my point here! Silva isn't that good enough to have a whine fest on here.

Only in MLS that people get excited over drafting 22-23 year college "star" Plus, we got younger players in academy and first team with higher ceiling than Silva.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    That is probably the worst trade ever made by this team... But that was all on Preki that cunt and the red headed drunk for listening to him
    That move had nothing to do with Mista and everything to do with ego and a ground war.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to see those guys too but it doesn't change the fact that we can't just fill our roster with young internationals. We HAVE to have some domestics. And my argument is why not try and use the domestics we have that have some skill, instead of the Convey's and Halls of the league?
    We have Hall because he is cheap and the same goes with the rest of the players mentioned in this thread as being our domestic hacks. Convey I wouldn't be surprised to see on his way out at $200K. If we needed a good amount of allocation dollars to say, pay down Urruti's contract to non-DP level, would you expect to get that by trading Hall or Lambe? Really? You need to make sacrifices to get what you want. Right now, we need to grow and develop a some type of winning culture. Not for 'making ML$E mo money!!!11!!!' but to build a team that good domestic players would actually want to come to. You aren't gonna get that by tossing out the youth squad for the next couple years and hoping(!) that these players become a Cronin or something similar. Look at LA. That's how they did it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not freaking out about it. I'm just concerned about the "type" of player we've given up on. Lambe, Russell, Hall, Braun, Brockie, Ecks, O'Dea all remain.

I'll be happy to see the reinforcements...especially if they are who we think they are. I'd just like to see us try and work with players who's main asset is technical ability, vision and touch on the ball.

It's not the fact that they're making trades that worries me. It's the player they traded.
    Let's say for argument sakes that TFC goes and signs 3 quality players, good enough to start on almost any team would that make up for trading a player who is slightly above avergae IMO. Also, these potential players will have all of the skills that you are looking for. Hence my comment nothing can be judge or commented on until the balance of the moves are made.

Of the list of players 2 are grossly over paid by management that is no longer here and it is not as if we can just go and rip up their contracts. The balance of players are depth at best with no value to be traded and we need bodies so why get rid of them and still absorb their cap hit? This not like any other league as league MLS doesn't want teams to hoard talent on their bench as it removes the parity in the league. The only way to circumvent this is by developing your own talent which is going to take years and even then we will be lucky to get a handful of extremely talented players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    This isn't your standard NA league. A draft just helps to fill your depth and sometimes you get lucky with your pick. To think that Silva was a bonafide star is ridiculous but now that he's gone all of a sudden he was something more. We can acquire much more technical, speedy, skillful, and youthful players through transfers from abroad. I'd rather have those guys than NCAA bred players.

TFC will obviously sign someone in his place so lets not dwell on this until we see who is replacement is.
    Thank you. Don't forget local talent as well. Examples: Osorio (21 year old who played in Uruguay before joining TFC) and Henry (TFC academy product and only 20 years old). Of course bigger name young players like Laba and Urriti makes it easier to not rely on NCAA draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Truer words have not been spoken. I don't even want to think about what went on in the past. Still a ton of room for improvement right now, but I do feel there is structure and consultation going on with the moves.
    Phil I miss these discussions, the boards the last 2 days are like the old days...

I am definetely going to swing by Joes before a game for pint and catch up it has been a long time.
    Last edited by Section 117; 07-09-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the bottom line is that Silva really isn't as good as a lot of people think he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bottom line question people should ask themselves is whether Silva is the starting attacking midfielder on this team right now. Given the number of times I've heard on this board that we need an attacking midfielder, I don't see how that can be answered yes. If he's not, then we still need and AM, and Silva will be on the bench. With Osorio there, younger and arguably as good, should Silva be kept?

Personally, I think there is a strong footballing reason for this trade. I like Silva, and I really think he'll succeed elsewhere unfortunately. But I can totally see the rationale behind this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with those saying we need to have quality domestics.. but, in principle, if we sign players of Laba's ilk to make up our core, then it shouldn't be long before these players can apply for their PR status and count as domestic. For certain key positions, this could prove crucial; we can afford the step down in quality in some areas of the pitch.

This will undoubtedly take time, but I can see this being a long-term strategy with the current regime.. especially with the mentality of some American players about plying their trade in Canada; the quality of life we can offer should have us as an ideal destination, if maybe not the most glamorous. Might even have a few of these wind up playing for the CMNT -- what a difference it could have made to have had someone competent at the helm from day one, huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think if we'd actually "traded" Silva, nobody would have any issue with waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It's the vague sense I have, born from hard earned experience that we all have, that this was no "trade", but instead reflects poor cap management. That a valuable piece was given away bcause it was literally the only thing we could do to accomplish what Payne/Nelsen wants. With the requisite dose of demonizing a very interesting player that happens to have had the bad luck to have been found by the previous regime.

I get that this isn't 2010, Payne is no Preki, Silva is probably not Cronin, and our reward for this is not going to be Mista, so I agree, let's wait.

But this doesn't reek of foresight or intelligent roster/cap mgmt, I'll tell you that. A chunk of the cap was blown on loans for Bostock/Ephraim/Earnshaw. Everyone thought those were free looks. Very few of us were critical of those (I was one). How do those moves look now?
    Ya, those were some expensive looks. Be nice for Toronto to start next year fresh with these trial salaries off the books, with the back end looking pretty solid, albeit expensive, and maybe this window stabalizes other positions too. I think after next year's pre-season transfer window, we should be team ready to contend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    but a core of Laba, Osorio and maybe one more young player may very well be a much better group to build from!
    There's no reason why it couldn't have been a core of Laba, Osorio, Silva, Avila, Plata, and maybe one other player. A good core takes more than 2-3 players, and Avila, Plata, and now Silva were all pretty much dumped because the manager didn't like them.

the thing is, it takes time to get young core players, and we seem far to willing to just ditch them once we do get them in favour of some expensive old international. Guys like Osorio, Avila and Silva might seem to just fall out of the sky and therefore be non-valuable, but the key is that they don't fall out of the sky that often. Each team gets just two draft picks a year, and it seems that with the decreasing quality you're lucky if one of them turns out into a core player. I also wouldn't expect a lot of Osorios to show up on our doorstep either. He's essentially the first (maybe second if you want to include Morgan) academy product who's been effective. Laba came at a large price. And it doesn't look like we have any assets that could be traded for another Avila (good domestic player)

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil I miss these discussions, the boards the last 2 days are like the old days...

I am definetely going to swing by Joes before a game for pint and catch up it has been a long time.
    My final hyjack is to say, I am totally thinking the same thing. Its time to have a pint and laugh about some of the shit we have seen.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    And it doesn't look like we have any assets that could be traded for another Avila (good domestic player)
    Problem with domestics like Avila is they play in spots where an impact player should play. Avila is not an impact player unless 6 goals in 109 matches is now a good strike rate. And he costs $125K.

RSL a couple years back had a decently assembled roster. A few impact forwards, solid internationals, and a decent domestic affordable back line and keeper. We need that affordable back line now.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 07-09-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's say for argument sakes that TFC goes and signs 3 quality players, good enough to start on almost any team would that make up for trading a player who is slightly above avergae IMO. Also, these potential players will have all of the skills that you are looking for. Hence my comment nothing can be judge or commented on until the balance of the moves are made.

Of the list of players 2 are grossly over paid by management that is no longer here and it is not as if we can just go and rip up their contracts. The balance of players are depth at best with no value to be traded and we need bodies so why get rid of them and still absorb their cap hit? This not like any other league as league MLS doesn't want teams to hoard talent on their bench as it removes the parity in the league. The only way to circumvent this is by developing your own talent which is going to take years and even then we will be lucky to get a handful of extremely talented players.
    I'm all for them signing the people that have been reported. And I totally agree that its time for us to wait and see. I just hate seeing guys like Lambe and Convey on a regular basis, as we ship out a guy like Silva.

If it was the only way to free up some money to use on new signings then so be it. I can live with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    There's no reason why it couldn't have been a core of Laba, Osorio, Silva, Avila, Plata, and maybe one other player. A good core takes more than 2-3 players, and Avila, Plata, and now Silva were all pretty much dumped because the manager didn't like them.
    That is a good point. I think having Silva, Osorio and Avila on the same team creates a problem of where they should go though, similar to the problem of Silva getting minutes with Nelsen's team; I think there are issues as to where players fit when it comes to the shape of the team, and the coaches vision for it. Plata was a total head-scratcher, though, and Cronin too. they would have fit nicely in this squad.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Osorio is ahead of where Silva was at this time last season. He didn't improve until Mariner took over.
    Osorio is 21 years old only. He still has good 2-3 years left to develop. Let's compare Osorio to Silva when Osorio turns 24. lol
    But Silva isn't a young player anymore. You guys are acting like we traded away second coming of Messi with your comments.

You guys need to realize there's better younger talent out there including some of younger players in our team (Osorio and Laba) who have higher ceiling than Silva.

Right now, this team is very young with no veteran quality players at all. Having couple of veteran players leading this young club is what we need right now. Player like Forlan is what we need on the field and off the field right now.
    Maybe it's me but I just don't see how Silva is all of a sudden the answer to all problems in the future. Yeah, he could go on to be a Cronin or he go on to be a White. One good stretch on a really shite team under the guidance of a bad manager is nothing to go by. If he were tearing it up this year it'd be different but he has mostly looked piss poor out there all year.

And if we are speaking of the unknown future then I would say Urruti > Silva.
    Quoting these posts helps me save time typing the same things out.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    Plata was a total head-scratcher, though, and Cronin too. they would have fit nicely in this squad.
    They were dumped by managers who were both idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if the TFC players are feeling less job security now. Silva move would surprise most TFC players as he was playing OK and didn't seemed expendable. I wonder who is next to go??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm worried the effect goes beyond just losing Silva,
    Alain Rochat just bolted back to his old club because of the Van - DC trade issue, and has been rather vocal about it.
    Now we have a bunch of guys who've never played in MLS, while we try to bring in new ones who have never played in MLS.
    They all have agents smarter then they are, who are aware, now more then ever, of what signing a contract with MLS means.

I have a hard time believing our new players are raving about the ability to be shipped away to someplace like DC if they want to come here to settled down and raise a family. This gets back to those new players we're trying to bring in....

then the deals fall through and more people get shipped to rearrange the deck.

Of course DP's are a different story, then again, JDG, Hassli.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to think, just 4 days ago he was squiring some lass to her prom for Sick Kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is true. Silva is no longer a prospect given his age, and plus Osorio play makes Silva expendable.
    They dont play the same. people that keep alluding to this, dont know what they are talking about.

Only Forlan can fix this for me.

This club is a piece of work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default All The Best Luis . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    My final hyjack is to say, I am totally thinking the same thing. Its time to have a pint and laugh about some of the shit we have seen.
    We agree Phil.

Time to sit back and see what this trade is going to produce with new addition(s).

But for now we will think back to Silva's introduction to our team in 2012, before almost 50K fans at the Dome where he scored his first goal! For that we have good thoughts!

J&M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    They dont play the same. people that keep alluding to this, dont know what they are talking about.

How so? Osorio can play middle and plus, Silva hasn't done anything this season to earn his spot (he isn't capable playing other positions like Osorio). So I don't understand why you're so pro-Silva when he hasn't done anything productive this season. Silva fanboys

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post

They don't play the same, you're right, but they are both attack-minded midfielders and, if we are bringing in some attacking midfielders, then Osorio seems to have more versatility and upside than Silva. Anyway, this move can only mean we've got better attacking options than Silva on the way, so that is a good thing. He's hardly been burning up the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How so? Osorio can play middle and plus, Silva hasn't done anything this season to earn his spot (he isn't capable playing other positions like Osorio). So I don't understand why you're so pro-Silva when he hasn't done anything productive this season. Silva fanboys
    first of all they're characteristics are different. They approach the game differently.

Osario is short passer mainly and doesnt even have close to the same vision.

He can play different positions. Proved that under Winter and Mariner,Maybe if we would had a real coach with real system we would have seen a better Silva.

comparing them is like, comparing David Beckham to Paul scholes. They are two different midfielders, two different characteristics that make them effective.

Not Silva a fan boy, but if you can't see his potential then that alone speaks for itself, when we still have Lambe muddling about doing fuck all.

This Hoofball club is a joke and a half.

Only a ten fold Improvement can fix this ballyhoo in my eyes.

Enjoy!

I'm done.