Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Not to restart ancient debates, but that is not at all the conclusion I would draw.

The conclusion I would draw is that better organizations never (or almost never) make the kind of move TFC did today. On principle. You don't burn the furniture to heat the house.
    In most North American sports models, where the best talent young talent is acquired in a draft, then yes - in the context of global football, younger more skilled players can sometimes be acquired through transfers, so never is too strong a word... i doubt this was an easy decision, but don't think they are simply heating the house, possibly upgrading to some hand-made Amish stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My fear - they trade Silva b/c this 'attacker' is said to be 99.9% coming in...

We all know how those usually end up for us...

F*cksakes!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we won't see new players for another 1 or 2 games......great!!! Bush League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We tend to over-rate our domestics, too.

So is Osorio good or not? LOL

The things being said about Osorio this year while he's been good sound exactly like the things said about Silva last year.

That's what worries me.

I mean, if all of our domestics and Intl's are over rated then what future do we have? Who is a linchpin for the future? Laba and?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    My fear - they trade Silva b/c this 'attacker' is said to be 99.9% coming in...

We all know how those usually end up for us...
    But this is Lieweke and Payne we're talking about here - two proven MLS executives with a track record of building teams. The trade today makes no sense unless they have, with 100% certainty, something coming in the next 48 hours. I can't believe the current brain-trust would have made a mistake like that. Let's wait until the weekend before we start rushing to judgement.

<edit: I'm very interested to see what kind of line-up Nelsen will trot out this weekend...>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'd like to know why we couldn't possibly swing a deal with vancouver.

They badly needed a keeper and had Omar Salgado and Mattocks as surplus. Both would have been a good fit for Toronto.
    Van's keeper just earned POTW and cheaper than Frei by a lot
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    But this is Lieweke and Payne we're talking about here - two proven MLS executives with a track record of building teams. The trade today makes no sense unless they have, with 100% certainty, something coming in the next 48 hours. I can't believe the current brain-trust would have made a mistake like that. Let's wait until the weekend before we start rushing to judgement.

<edit: I'm very interested to see what kind of line-up Nelsen will trot out this weekend...>
    This is what gets me about some of the comments. You'd think we still had Anselmi running things.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not the last move of the day. DCU gave up a nice chunk of change + more. The twitterverse will be going nuts late tonight.
    Silva spent an extra year in college, this gave him an advantage at the combine and got him picked early. Fantastic player but is not made of the physicality of the way we play. DCU NEED a player like him, especially now. This feels strange, I was a real believer in him. He has fantastic vision and comfortable on the ball. Just lacked pace (stamina issue?) I'm sure he will find a way to succeed in a different formation. DC better play him and play him often.
    I do believe Osorio has a much bigger ceiling than Silva and he is a standout while starting MLS games. Teams have had time to figure him out and he still manages to play well.

Believe me, exciting times ahead. This is a bold but necessary move.

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I think we need a tiny bit of patience right now. I don't think we can assume that trading Silva was done without some major forethought! We just have to wait for the other parts of this to unfurl. I think there are going to be a few trades and moves coming up, this is just one part of it.
    I understand this, and I'm willing to be convinced. I'm just saying that this is a relatively big and ballsy move out that had better be the precursor to an even better long term move IN, or my long term emotional investment in TFC will be well into a negative balance!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio has speed which goes a long way, that's something Silva doesn't have. I rate Osorio higher than Silva for that fact alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This is what gets me about some of the comments. You'd think we still had Anselmi running things.
    after all the contradictions that have come from KP in the last 6 months?

no more old guys from England, after these last 2 or 3, no 2, oh sorry just the one.
    Transfer and speculation of players, see above.
    Top defender of the last 10 year he'll be the best in the league , etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Didn't expect Silva to be traded. TFC is getting blown up piece by piece. Payne, Nelson and Lieweke are ushering a new age of TFC. If Urutti and Forlan are coming than I see the Reds doing greater over the short term. Long term though, where are the younger prospects going to get playing time if they ride the pine on the bench??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll wait for the dust to settle before I pass judgement on this. If this was purely a cap dump/allocation grab to make from for Forlan, I won't be too happy. But this could very easily also be about collecting allocation to to strengthen the team in other areas - or upgrade Silva with another, better/more promising young player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I mean, if all of our domestics and Intl's are over rated then what future do we have? Who is a linchpin for the future? Laba and?
    He didn't say all domestics are overrated, just that we do tend to do that. Look at Avila. He was a domestic and a lot of people thought he was the second coming. He is a depth player on a decent team at best.

For the future I'd say the plan is that Laba, Osorio, Bekker, Urruti (?), Henry, and Agboss will develop with the team and grow. Add to that any other players who may be coming in and there is your base. Much like every other MLS team, you sprinkle in some experienced MLSers (Convey) and some experienced players with quality and you have a proper team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He managed 5 goals and 5 assists last year. His only year in the league. That's not too bad if you ask me. Not to say it's terrible that he was moved but I also don't think he's a bust all of a sudden.
    You can't base the decision purely on stats. I think he has a lot of talent (look at the setup on O'Dea's run through the middle for example) and could be a starter in this league if he played with enough intensity. But as with Avila, I think there's a particular mindset they're looking for and they don't see it in him. I don't either. I can't say I've ever see Silva play with the sort of urgency I see from Osorio or Laba.

That's what they want, I think. Players who treat every minute on the pitch like it's important. The areas in which he seemed most deficient to me -- ball watching, off the ball movement, general intensity -- are sort of key to having a winning team in this league.

Did anyone see Avila's first game for Chivas after coming back from his trial in Guadalajara? After a few weeks in Mexico, he looked like a different player. Intensity, pace, movement away from the ball. I'm not saying it'll stick and I'm not saying it couldn't be coached to Silva ... but maybe, as with Ashtone Morgan, they're not seeing it. I don't see it in either player. I see the requisite skill, but not the step-up mentality. I used to say the same about Doneil Henry, but since he started playing next to Caldwell and O'Dea he's been a beast this season at times.

One of the reasons guys like Convey get a bad rep in this league is because they call out their own teammates. Magee did it in Chicago on Saturday, too. Same message. Workrate, workrate, workrate.

I dunno. Maybe there's more to it, but to me that was his principle issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    Van's keeper just earned POTW and cheaper than Frei by a lot
    And they didn't need a keeper anyway. Knighton has done great, Cannon is behind him and they just signed the danish U21 keeper who's expected to be the number one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NolbertoS View Post
    Wow, Didn't expect Silva to be traded. TFC is getting blown up piece by piece. Payne, Nelson and Lieweke are ushering a new age of TFC. If Urutti and Forlan are coming than I see the Reds doing greater over the short term. Long term though, where are the younger prospects going to get playing time if they ride the pine on the bench??
    Urruti is 22. Younger than Silva. He should qualify as a long term option. Forlan, although he is good, only plays one position on the field at a time so it's not like he'd be forcing many of our young players to sit. Plus some of these potential signings may be just as young as Silva, but better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets be realistic, Silva was not sold for nothing. Something is in the works, so ill wait before passing judgement. Silva was also a highlight last year because the team sucked balls... The black cat running across the field was more interesting than the entire season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He didn't say all domestics are overrated, just that we do tend to do that. Look at Avila. He was a domestic and a lot of people thought he was the second coming. He is a depth player on a decent team at best.

For the future I'd say the plan is that Laba, Osorio, Bekker, Urruti (?), Henry, and Agboss will develop with the team and grow. Add to that any other players who may be coming in and there is your base. Much like every other MLS team, you sprinkle in some experienced MLSers (Convey) and some experienced players with quality and you have a proper team.
    Bekker doesn't play. No way to say that he's part of our future. Especially considering the fact that his primary position is where Laba plays right now. I HOPE he's good enough to be part of the future but he hasn't done enough to say he is, for me.

Urruti isn't on our team yet.

Osorio is where Silva was at this time last year. Hence my worries about pulling the pin on Silva. Don't wanna see it happen to Osorio too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bekker doesn't play. No way to say that he's part of our future. Especially considering the fact that his primary position is where Laba plays right now. I HOPE he's good enough to be part of the future but he hasn't done enough to say he is, for me.

Urruti isn't on our team yet.

Osorio is where Silva was at this time last year. Hence my worries about pulling the pin on Silva. Don't wanna see it happen to Osorio too.
    Osorio is ahead of where Silva was at this time last season. He didn't improve until Mariner took over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    You can't base the decision purely on stats. I think he has a lot of talent (look at the setup on O'Dea's run through the middle for example) and could be a starter in this league if he played with enough intensity. But as with Avila, I think there's a particular mindset they're looking for and they don't see it in him. I don't either. I can't say I've ever see Silva play with the sort of urgency I see from Osorio or Laba.

That's what they want, I think. Players who treat every minute on the pitch like it's important. The areas in which he seemed most deficient to me -- ball watching, off the ball movement, general intensity -- are sort of key to having a winning team in this league.

Did anyone see Avila's first game for Chivas after coming back from his trial in Guadalajara? After a few weeks in Mexico, he looked like a different player. Intensity, pace, movement away from the ball. I'm not saying it'll stick and I'm not saying it couldn't be coached to Silva ... but maybe, as with Ashtone Morgan, they're not seeing it. I don't see it in either player. I see the requisite skill, but not the step-up mentality. I used to say the same about Doneil Henry, but since he started playing next to Caldwell and O'Dea he's been a beast this season at times.

One of the reasons guys like Convey get a bad rep in this league is because they call out their own teammates. Magee did it in Chicago on Saturday, too. Same message. Workrate, workrate, workrate.

I dunno. Maybe there's more to it, but to me that was his principle issue.
    I get the work rate thing but to sell a player like Silva because of that seems premature.

Again....we value heart and work rate over actual skill. We need players with both. And when we find players with only one side of that equation we tend to stick with the ones like Convey and not like Silva.

Can't the "step up mentality" be something that a coaching staff fosters?

Maybe there was no need for him because half the time he's watching balls soar over his head. Who knows?

What happens if/when he continues to blossom at DCU?

BTW..I think Convey is very average. Below average in a lot of games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Lets be realistic, Silva was not sold for nothing. Something is in the works, so ill wait before passing judgement. Silva was also a highlight last year because the team sucked balls... The black cat running across the field was more interesting than the entire season.
    Okay...then what does any performance this year count as? Do we not suck balls? Does that diminish Osorio's play this year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio is 21 years old only. He still has good 2-3 years left to develop. Let's compare Osorio to Silva when Osorio turns 24. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we all just wait for the other shoes to drop before we freak out about trading Silva.

He is a decent player, but let's not forget he is 24 he is who he is, at the moment it's not as if we just traded away Messi or an absolute game breaker. He will probably end up being a career MLS player nothing great just adequate. Kind of like Chad Barrett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Osorio is ahead of where Silva was at this time last season. He didn't improve until Mariner took over.
    He didn't score until then but he wasn't bad all year. He was in and out of games all season which is normal for first year players.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    Can we all just wait for the other shoes to drop before we freak out about trading Silva.

He is a decent player, but let's not forget he is 24 he is who he is, at the moment it's not as if we just traded away Messi or an absolute game breaker. He will probably end up being a career MLS player nothing great just adequate. Kind of like Chad Barrett
    Cool heads will prevail. Just don't look at twitter right now....LOL
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post

why do you always have to be reasonable and sensible =)
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not terribly surprised.

People here were a little bit too attached to our own prospect. He's got potential, but hasn't realized it yet. There are lots of players like this in the league, some don't work out or turn out to be as good as expected.
    true and fair enough ... although certainly would have preferred if it was weirdman or lambe or hall that got traded.

best of luck silva.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    true and fair enough ... although certainly would have preferred if it was weirdman or lambe or hall that got traded.

best of luck silva.
    Unfortunately, Silva is the only guy on this team with any trade value.

Funny, Mariner said last year at a town hall he would have taken Nick De Leon instead of Silva if it were up to him. Now they're both on the same team.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I expect the next couple of weeks should be interesting. Sounds like this move starts it, but there may be enough happening that we won't really know until its all done.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil