Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Forlan!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guess we should also be checking for any Forlan sightings at Porto Alegre or Toronto airports for the next couple of days...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    I don't post much on the site lately... But I spoke to my people and this is a done deal.

not sure when the announcement will be, but he should be unveiled by the end of the week
    I feel better after hearing this

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't post much on the site lately... But I spoke to my people and this is a done deal.

not sure when the announcement will be, but he should be unveiled by the end of the week
    Good to see you back
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    IF everything works out.
    and they announce July 9 or 10.

does he Dress July 20 vs. NY Shite Cows.
    Henry and Forlan on the same pitch? That willl be a fun game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The main thing that troubles me is the lack of any corroboration in Brazil. There would have to be at least one journo with an inside contact at the club in the know. I'm worried that TFC FO (from the big bosses down to the interns, apparently) think this is a go but it really isn't.
    I doubt Internazionale of Brasil would post about there big marquee player leaving the club. You gotta remember all deals stay silent in footballing circles, just like when Real Madrid or Barcelona want to sign somebody, they don't leak the deal until its 90% finalized. Is Forlan leaving as a free agent from Internazonale?? or we paying a transfer fee for him?? Either way, it'll break the bank at TFC and I hope more people come to the stands at BMO Field. Its getting pretty depressing seeing the stands on TV with little singing and fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Good to see you back
    I am always around, more creeping then anything....

I have tried to not comment as somethings on here are just too over the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NolbertoS View Post
    I doubt Internazionale of Brasil would post about there big marquee player leaving the club. You gotta remember all deals stay silent in footballing circles, just like when Real Madrid or Barcelona want to sign somebody, they don't leak the deal until its 90% finalized. Is Forlan leaving as a free agent from Internazonale?? or we paying a transfer fee for him?? Either way, it'll break the bank at TFC and I hope more people come to the stands at BMO Field. Its getting pretty depressing seeing the stands on TV with little singing and fans
    Forlan is apparently under contract till 2015 - so we would have to put down a transfer fee. Will likely be a pretty insane expense when you couple salary and transfer fee together, but this is being done by a guy who brought over Beckham to the tune of 50 million per year. He's not afraid to make a bold move/statement that could potentially make TFC a hot ticket in town again.

WINS will bring the people back to BMO, though. Forlan will bring some people back, sure, but wins is what will really pack the house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    WINS will bring the people back to BMO, though. Forlan will bring some people back, sure, but wins is what will really pack the house.
    100% spot on...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul, look, everybody makes mistakes.

It's tough out there, these kids don't know what's what, don't fire her.
    Please do hire me to help though.

So I guess tickets on sale tomorrow with an email announcing a conference and stream for Thursday?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    IF everything works out.
    and they announce July 9 or 10.

does he Dress July 20 vs. NY Shite Cows.

MLSE missing out on a chance to hype Forlan vs. Henry?

No wonder that tweet went out. The marketing department must look like a bit of and a bit of today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that billyfly and others are saying it is "done", I will assume it is "done".

I wonder what the caliber of TFC's legal review of Forlan's Brazilian contract has been.

Based on the news flow from Brazil, I'm guessing that Forlan has, or says he says has, some sort of an escape clause from his current club, but that he got caught out be the leak and hasn't triggered it yet.

If his doesn't see it the same way (ie that he is free to walk), this could get interesting in a hurry. Brazilian courts are notorious for siding with the clubs.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-08-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see Earnshaw handing that over too easily....
    Earnshaw hasn't played and has been "injured" since his current contract was set to expire. I don't recall reading that he was officially signed up for the rest of the year....or did I completely miss the news. Last I heard they were working on it and Earnshaw was adamant in interviews that nothing solid has been reached. Maybe his number 10 will go somewhere else.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Earnshaw hasn't played and has been "injured" since his current contract was set to expire. I don't recall reading that he was officially signed up for the rest of the year....or did I completely miss the news. Last I heard they were working on it and Earnshaw was adamant in interviews that nothing solid has been reached. Maybe his number 10 will go somewhere else.
    Earnshaw is here until the end of the year from what I hear.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Odd that it hasn't been confirmed yet - we heard about Caldwell, no such thing about Earnshaw though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cathalkelly@cathalkelly6m
    Spoke with a source on Forlan to Toronto FC. Negotiations underway for weeks. Not done, but soon could be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will take your word for it. It wouldn't be the first time a player stopped playing due to "injury" while negotiating. Just didn't see anything official saying it was done and he hasn't had an interview since his loan was set to expire.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Odd that it hasn't been confirmed yet - we heard about Caldwell, no such thing about Earnshaw though.
    I recall early on, it was stated that the loan was for the entire season, then there was some kind of pull back to July. I suspect someone said the wrong thing and they all just went to a default answer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

cathalkelly@cathalkelly6mSpoke with a source on Forlan to Toronto FC. Negotiations underway for weeks. Not done, but soon could be.
    Yep, I'm gonna be following Cathal to get the lowdown on this....lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Diego deal smells funny, and it ain't the dead groundhog in the trunk of my car.
    just saying

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cathalkelly@cathalkelly6m
    Spoke with a source on Forlan to Toronto FC. Negotiations underway for weeks. Not done, but soon could be.
    That would be one of Paul B's assistants, most likely. Given the vehemence Kelly spent on defending Paul B the night of the big loss, that would be the logical source for troll man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These types of comments mean little. Not done could mean he hasn't signed yet. Could be already agreed and his flight booked etc.
    All of these comments involve alot of semantics with people trying to give slippery answers for all the reasons we have already noted. Section 117 has always been reliable and that tweet and quick retraction from the TFC staffer seems somewhat telling.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    This Diego deal smells funny, and it ain't the dead groundhog in the trunk of my car.
    just saying
    As it should... A major player being transferred to MLS on a multi million dollar deal is not every day news. People will exaggerate and take advantage of the situation. There's a lot of people saying nothing yet, but a lot f people saying Done deal. I feel like the only person to solve this dilemma is Phil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask any big player if he's been traded and what do you think he will say right at the point of rumour? "hell no"... deny deny deny. I'm pretty sure ML$E/MLS are dealing with Inter and not Forlan himself. Let's see what happens.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Forlan "officially" retired from playing with Uruguay?

With next year's World Cup in his backyard, this would be an extremely bold move if he wants to play.

Not to mention TFC would be without him for as much as 6 to 8 weeks.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    From the globe article...

"Uruguay forward Diego Forlan, who played with Beckham at Manchester United for two seasons in the early part of the century, will be unveiled as Toronto FC’s newest designated player this week. It could happen as early as Monday or Tuesday, when the MLS international transfer window opens, and would make him available for selection for Saturday’s contest at Sporting Kansas City."

This basically says the deal is done. Nowhere does it read "Reports are saying" or "sources are saying" it says it is done. If this article is not correct than the globe should never be trusted.

Good god. Really? This is how you highlight his career?
    Some days the reporting in this country really has me shaking my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    As it should... A major player being transferred to MLS on a multi million dollar deal is not every day news. People will exaggerate and take advantage of the situation. There's a lot of people saying nothing yet, but a lot f people saying Done deal. I feel like the only person to solve this dilemma is Phil
    If Section 117 says it....its pretty much gospel.

I still wait for something official. We have all been on the player roller coaster before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ yep I'm with Phil. We know its done its just a matter of seeing him with the jersey till I completely believe it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If it sounds too good to be true....

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    ^ yep I'm with Phil. We know its done its just a matter of seeing him with the jersey till I completely believe it.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/uruguay...move-1.1358139

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for coming back to put this up. You have a ton of cred on this stuff with folks that have been around here for a while.