Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC John View Post
    Heavy handed? Giving you the middle finger?

i don't know a lot about this situation but here's what I've learned from just reading this thread.

The issue was brought up in 2010 at the Supporters Summit (who knows if it was brought up privately before that). MLS expressed their displeases with some people's behavior. You don't get to decide what offends other people, you only get to decide what offends you. I am not offended by YSA but somebody is. When you are offended you can either try to ignore it or you can tell the offending party that you are offended. MLS did the mature thing and raised the issue in the appropriate forum. They promptly got told not to be offended - but that's not how it works. Being told not to be offended is kind of offensive in itself. The Supporters Groups were asked to deal with it and they were given 2 1/2 seasons to use their internal mechanisms to make the chant go away. The Supporter Groups either didn't try or they were unsuccessful. Now MLS has sent a polite letter (just because you don't like the contents doesn't mean it isn't polite) formally asking them to increase their efforts and giving a timeline and consequences. There are no vague threats and no double secret probation periods. It is all laid out clearly. If you do this, we'll do that. I don't support what MLS is doing but I have to say they are being fair about it. They raised the issue in the appropriate place with the appropriate people. They allowed the people to police themselves. They waited a reasonable amount of time to see if self policing would work. When it didn't they brought up the issue again in a more formal context and laid out a clear set of goals, a timeline and consequences. Then they gave the people another chance to correct themselves. If this is their process with every problem then I can live with it. If your response to someone who has a problem with your behavior is "fuck you" then you deserve to have your toys taken away. I hate to be defending MLS and I disagree with their position here but I support the process they are following.

I think Mark has the real solution as stated above. If someone complains in the stadium, move them to where they can't hear the chant.

The argument that a chant will die off over time holds no water for me. The last two games at BMO I've heard the "This is Our House" chant that was so popular back in 2007-08. I thought we killed that one but it keeps coming back. YSA will never die unless the Supporters Groups agree to kill it and remain vigilant. That means when some frat boy starts it up the Capo must be ready to drowned it out with something more creative.

I don't believe this has anything to do with fans in the stands, but TV advertisers complaining they won't market on MLS matches with their microphones picking up our swear words. Again, they want to use us to sell, so we have to say what they want us to say.

Yes, swearing is offensive to people and I don't disagree. But I don't like being an MLS tool, and used as they command me to. That I take huge issue with. If they don't want swear words on TV, put your bloody "fan" microphones at centre half where in many stadiums, it's empty.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSL is going to be having a meeting with their supporters mid month regarding thiis issue. Its safe to say this approach has upset a few people there.

I will have updates when available.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Thanks for keeping us in the loop

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYRB supporters just got one too. Trying to find link...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could always shout "Pootow" or whatever it was the Mexican and Central American teams shouted when our keeper punted one out.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think NYRB guys got a cassh incentive for each game they don't do it.

It silly to see this much variance in approach by clubs and the MLS IMO.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We could always shout "Pootow" or whatever it was the Mexican and Central American teams shouted when our keeper punted one out.
    I think its Puto.

Apparently they don't like that either. We can all see the slippery slope here can't we?

TFC nor the MLS have approached us on any language in the stands to this point (aside from the supporters summit in 2010).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think its Puto.

Apparently they don't like that either. We can all see the slippery slope here can't we?

TFC nor the MLS have approached us on any language in the stands to this point (aside from the supporters summit in 2010).
    we also have signs in our sections telling people what to expect while standing there and that they can approach staff to sit elsewhere if its not to their liking.

hardly rocket science that, yet very effective. as for tv mics picking it up, i think someone already mentioned putting those elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if there ever happens to be a fat goalie playing against us, we can always do this:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    NYRB supporters just got one too. Trying to find link...
    http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish...-hateful-chant