0 Thread(s)

Default RSL Supporters Being Given The Middle Finger From MLS

http://i.imgur.com/M9Ovs14.jpg

#SupportRSLsupporters

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even know what to say to this. It is just silly.

Oh, and YES I did just advocate for a cheap family section earlier today, no reason they can't live side by side.

Live and let live. You don't have to like it, you do have to tolerate it.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fuck...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biting the hand that feeds much? Wow this is the most retarded thing from the MLS. It's there supporters week and there cracking down of supporters clubs? Way to show people how its done. LoL

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one agree with the sentiment if not the motivation.

"You Suck.." is the barrel bottom scraping of sports analysis and a pathetic chant.

Obviously I also disagree with the official censorship.

Sidenote: @priz- You couldn't find a more sensational wording to the thread title?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How on earth do you stop hundreds of people from yelling asshole? And why would you?

It's 2013. Get over it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    why would you?

It's 2013. Get over it.
    I will never forget the looks on the faces of the Moms and Dads seated near the TFC support at the first TFC road game I went to (Chicago, 2007). They were truly upset. (There was a pretty funny response chant: "It's past your bedtime."). Lots of families don't go to soccer games because of the swearing. They don't like it. It scares them.

It's made acute by MLS' league wide overcharging problem. Families want/need to choose cheap seats.

Not sure I'd go this route if I were MLS but it's a legit business position for MLS to take. It's private property.

They'll run their business, supporters will do what they decide to do.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-02-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They brought this up at the supporters summit in 2010. It was likened to the Carrot and Stick method. If supporters groups did things poorly, they would get the 'Stick'. If groups did things well, they would get the 'Carrot'. We laughed at them because it seemed irrational and arbitrary. They then went into the YSA chant as an example. They want it out of the game because its very audible on broadcasts and it interferes with the willingness of TV companies to show games. Getting a language complaint in the states is a big deal on a national broadcast.

Anyhow, we al joked and told them 'you cant fucking swear of fucking TV?' which in turn made them even more frustrated until the coversation degeneragted. My guess would be certain markets are more sensitive than others as its never been an issue here. Salt Lake is another story I guess. I really think its a dumb chant but it irritates me even more to see this type of heavy handed responsed by their FO and the MLS. This will be escallated to the ISC.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't it "Supporters Week" this week in MLS?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will only get worse...
    Whats next? Don't call the ref a wanker?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    They brought this up at the supporters summit in 2010. It was likened to the Carrot and Stick method. If supporters groups did things poorly, they would get the 'Stick'. If groups did things well, they would get the 'Carrot'. We laughed at them because it seemed irrational and arbitrary. They then went into the YSA chant as an example. They want it out of the game because its very audible on broadcasts and it interferes with the willingness of TV companies to show games. Getting a language complaint in the states is a big deal on a national broadcast.

Anyhow, we al joked and told them 'you cant fucking swear of fucking TV?' which in turn made them even more frustrated until the coversation degeneragted. My guess would be certain markets are more sensitive than others as its never been an issue here. Salt Lake is another story I guess. I really think its a dumb chant but it irritates me even more to see this type of heavy handed responsed by their FO and the MLS. This will be escallated to the ISC.
    I don't see any problem with what they are doing. They've obviously spoken with the groups as you stated and nothing has happened so they have put out a formal statement outlining dates and deadlines where further action as needed will be taken.

Quite frankly I get rather tired of this idea that we're in the year 20XX and we can do or say whatever we want - the majority of parents still believe that their children shouldn't be subjected to a dumbed-down depleted vocabulary to creatively express themselves, it’s simple minded and boorish and has nothing to do with this arrogant phony attitude that it’s the soccer/football culture’ and if you don’t like too bad.

They’re a very vocal minority but a minority nonetheless and MLS/TFC is a business - there can still be a supporter culture without the vulgarity imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What ever happend to freedom of speach? Its not even offensive, yet alone vulger. MLS should be kissing the supporters asses for all i care, with all the free marketing they get you think they would be greatfull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there worried about the sound coming through the broadcast isn't that up to the broadcaster to make sure they have someone to turn off the mics that are close to the supporters. They know its coming. Why couldn't they do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What ever happend to freedom of speach? Its not even offensive, yet alone vulger. MLS should be kissing the supporters asses for all i care, with all the free marketing they get you think they would be greatfull.
    I'm pretty sure you give up that right when entering the stadium. There are a whole bunch of rules and regulations on the tickets/venue, and by choosing to enter the stadium you are choosing to agree to them. Would have to look at the small print to know for sure, but I suspect this is the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or in other words - "if you don't stop using bad words, we'll take away all the other things you do that form the basis of many of our advertising campaigns."

I'm not a fan of this chant, but really, where does the censorship stop? When MLS puts out a songbook?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the RSL supporters should have a sit in reading newspapers event next home game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I'm pretty sure you give up that right when entering the stadium. There are a whole bunch of rules and regulations on the tickets/venue, and by choosing to enter the stadium you are choosing to agree to them. Would have to look at the small print to know for sure, but I suspect this is the case.
    The Canadian Charter would like to have a word with you. Yes I get your point, the chants not discriminating or racist though. While were at it MLS might as well tell supporters to give the opponents some milk and cookies to feel good, sheesh, whatever happened to "entering the lions den". And before you tell me,yes you can have an intimidating atmosphere without vulgar language.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-02-2013 at 11:29 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Canadian Charter would like to have a word with you. Yes I get your point, the chants not discriminating or racists though. While were at it they might as well tell supporters to give the opponents some milk and cookies to feel good, sheesh, whatever happened to "enter the lions den".
    There are places in the states - South Carolina I think, where they passed a law about public swearing. Its a different world down there. That much was very clear from the meeting in 2010. They don't seem to understand that the bigger this issue is blown up to be, the more outrageous the repsonse from supporters. Its like your parents forbidding something....usually it makes you entertain it.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Canadian Charter would like to have a word with you. Yes I get your point, the chants not discriminating or racists though. While were at it MLS might as well tell supporters to give the opponents some milk and cookies to feel good, sheesh, whatever happened to "entering the lions den".
    Does it? I'm asking legitimately here. I thought that since you are choosing to enter private property you are doing so by accepting their terms and conditions. You can chose not to enter the stadium and not abide by their rules.

TTC and Go Transit, for example, both have bylaws preventing the use of profane language - so unless they are also stepping on the Canadian charter, it seems there are allowances here.

Looking at the BMO Field code of conduct - it is there as well:

Fans enjoy an experience free from fighting, thrown objects, attempts to enter the field, political or inciting messages, and disorderly behaviour, including foul, sexist, racial, obscene or abusive language or gestures.
    and

Failure to abide by this Code of Conduct is subject to sanctions, including ejection, banishment and arrest. Moreover, failure to abide by this Code of Conduct for Toronto FC matches will result in loss of Season and Partial Ticket Privileges.
    I'm guessing they've had their lawyers look at it.

It's silly, especially in the given context of the chant in question, but I don't think any charters rights are being stepped on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the RSL chant specifically you could make case its overstepping, its nothing really obscene. I agree though its well within their right to keep discrimination, racist acts etc. out. Its really very blurry though when it comes to "Freedom of speech". Its a good question though.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Sidenote: @priz- You couldn't find a more sensational wording to the thread title?
    at midnight, good ideas are hard to come by

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I really think its a dumb chant but it irritates me even more to see this type of heavy handed responsed by their FO and the MLS. This will be escallated to the ISC.
    exactly how i feel

to be frank, the YSA chalnt is starting to die; et it organically die; it is a dumb chant; people realize that, but let the supporters realize it is dumb and let them eradicate it themselves; by forcing it upon supporters to get rid of it themselves, you will only meet resistance......it is almost like MLS wants to keep the chant living

and as BuSaPuNk pointed out...it is supporters week; to do that of all of the weeks, that is just poor timing and very laughable

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The content of the chant isn't really the issue for me as it's a pretty dumb chant. Making a threat to shut down support activity in order to control the content of the chant is the bigger issue for me. I don't really know about the freedom of speech laws coming into effect and how that works in terms of our own situation. US laws are also quite different than ours, so I'm not sure if a similar situation would arise here.

And one wonders at a society where the word "asshole" has such repercussions when we see and hear that and worse on a daily basis on TV.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

I just have major concerns over how the MLS is addressing this.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That said, having interacted with the guys who are in charge of "supporter relations" at MLS, this is hardly suprising.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Fort York Redcoat;1594640]I for one agree with the sentiment if not the motivation.

"You Suck.." is the barrel bottom scraping of sports analysis and a pathetic chant.

Obviously I also disagree with the official censorship.

^ well said...........beware the wrath of the mormons
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a 'Look, see we sent them a letter' response to soccer moms complaints. It is the sqeeky wheel getting the grease. They cannot reasonably expect it to stop because of this letter. No supporters group can stop drunken frat boys from being themselves. Most chants and songs are in Greek as far as the casual fan is concerned due to clarity lost by distance from source. Chants like YSA are easy to pick up by the casual because they are three words long. Look at our most popular chant: 'TFC, clap clap clap, TFC!'

I suspect in about 3 weeks this will be completely off the radar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    I think this is a 'Look, see we sent them a letter' response to soccer moms complaints. It is the sqeeky wheel getting the grease. They cannot reasonably expect it to stop because of this letter. No supporters group can stop drunken frat boys from being themselves. Most chants and songs are in Greek as far as the casual fan is concerned due to clarity lost by distance from source. Chants like YSA are easy to pick up by the casual because they are three words long. Look at our most popular chant: 'TFC, clap clap clap, TFC!'

it is funny because most of the RSL supporters groups don't even do YSA...it is the casual, single ticket buyers

the idea of punishing the supporters for something that they cannot control is ridiculous

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post

The fact that this has come up after us all laughing it off 3 years ago concerns me. I hope its nothing, but there is a very detailed timeline and punishment outlined there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    it is funny because most of the RSL supporters groups don't even do YSA...it is the casual, single ticket buyers

the idea of punishing the supporters for something that they cannot control is ridiculous
    Agreed, and I find it funny they are working double time to be the sport that heavily sanitizes the fan experience. It's not like other leagues don't have their own foul mouth chants that are clearly audible on television.

I really don't think the league enjoys the whole supporters culture, they would much rather have something they can easily control. As they become more economically successful, I'd expect more push-back in this area.