Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morning D!

"“I don’t know how significant it is,” TFC general manager Kevin Payne said of the number of fans speaking out against the match. “But when I met with people through the winter I heard many, many times from people that they were looking for a significant international game and wanted to know why we hadn’t played more of them."

From the Larson article. I'd like to know who is saying this for one. And significant international game would be going deep into the Champions Leauge. I'm almost guaranteed that what people were telling him. And the spin continues.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outside of hardcore supporters most people like them.

Most soccer dad's I know are either excited or disappointed it isn't a different team because they don't like /care about Roma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People like Larson who are saying "If you don't like it, stay home" are missing the point entirely. Not surprising for a hack like him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Morning D!

"“I don’t know how significant it is,” TFC general manager Kevin Payne said of the number of fans speaking out against the match. “But when I met with people through the winter I heard many, many times from people that they were looking for a significant international game and wanted to know why we hadn’t played more of them."

From the Larson article. I'd like to know who is saying this for one. And significant international game would be going deep into the Champions Leauge. I'm almost guaranteed that what people were telling him. And the spin continues.
    Did he talk to these people in a mall?
    Were they also asking for "subways subways subways"?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ha ! That Italo bloke sure knows how to use a shovel !
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they talking to people from St Claire West or Woodbridge only??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't mind having an international friendly as long as its with an appropriate opponent. TFC have never tapped into the significant Italian support in the city, so Roma, I would say, would fit with being an appropriate opponent. Playing a big Italian team should have happened YEARS ago if other MLSE officials had recognised the massive market in Toronto!

I still won't personally go to the game, but I think it will generate enough interest to sell considerable tickets.

And like it or not, the MLS still needs a lot of exposure outside North America, and these friendlies are still needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Morning D!

I don't know about that - I know lots of people that follow TFC that like these matches. Once I step outside of the supporters culture, the general opinion I get is pretty much "it will be cool to see top quality players"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Did he talk to these people in a mall?
    Were they also asking for "subways subways subways"?
    Lol. This is happening on both sides. Some opponents of the friendly are polling their twitter followers and from that saying SSHs are opposed.

My guess is a real poll of the SSHs would find most don't care, but that's just a guess. They probably only want subways too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, you are missing the point. Does the FO value supporters? (RPB, USEC, NEE etc) I think that they do, and they do a lot to try to help, they could defo do more but they for sure do more than 90% of pro sports teams in North America

FO ALSO values fans and casual fans.

You know, people who have ALSO had season tickets for 7 years.

They are not as vocal but I absolutely promise you that they DO exist and they want to get to see a top flight team at BMO every once in a while.

You guys are seriously making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

They will likely have mid-season friendlies every year that they exist, even if/when MLS becomes a top flight league.

Railing against friendlies is like tilting at windmills.
    WE DID IT!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Guys, you are missing the point. Does the FO value supporters? (RPB, USEC, NEE etc) I think that they do, and they do a lot to try to help, they could defo do more but they for sure do more than 90% of pro sports teams in North America

They are not as vocal but I absolutely promise you that they DO exist and they want to get to see a top flight team at BMO every once in a while.

They will likely have mid-season friendlies every year that they exist, even if/when MLS becomes a top flight league.

This is absolutely true.

And because we are the minority we are vocal. I'd like to flip the comments around and say instead of "If you don't like it, don't go." to

If you like it, go.

Either way both sides can say their piece on it. Neither side has to STFU about it.

That's just the way it is.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey what about a preseason TFC tour in England, just to put the shoe on the other foot! I'm thinking Conference National or League 2 teams though - even a League 1 team would murder us in our preseason form.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree the FO values supporters and fans but that falls so far behind making money it shouldn't even be uttered in the same sentence.

I'm against this friendly, as others before it, because of the TIMING! It is STUPID to risk injury during your regular season for a meaningless game. Notice we're not playing ROMA in their back yard during THEIR REGULAR SEASON. And Mr. Payne is avoid that part. This angers me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1

If the team wants to try to raise some funds so we can afford the training grounds, the DPs, the grass, the stadium additions then so be it; not to mention generate some contacts for player acquisitions. I seriously doubt that injuries are going to be a major issue and those could happen in pre-season friendlies as they do in every other league. I don't understand what the fuss is about. List all the pros and cons and remove the fact that the haters are personally angry with the FO and see what you come up with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mid season friendlies do not really raise the profile of teams. Its a short term money grab, there are always going to be fans who couldnt care less for TFC and use the game as an opportunity to spread thier snob mentaility.

If you want to raise the awareness and profile of the club you become affiliates, this is all behind the scenes stuff that isnt glamorous.

Does MLSE really need the money? We are not Columbus who may have to play these games to break even. Its embarrassing and makes us look poor from an outsiders perspective.

MLSE should be flexing there muscle and look to play teams over seas.

Garber wants MLS to be a top flight league, does that vision include the continuance of these friendlies?
    Last edited by Richard; 06-27-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is already an existing thread discussing the friendly, but whatever...

My two cents for this thread: Like it, hate it or could care less. Whatever your opinion is please do not try to tell me that they need these friendlies to raise money for acquisitions or infrastructure. ML$E has more money than god. They do not need cheap gimmics to pay for things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    I agree the FO values supporters and fans but that falls so far behind making money it shouldn't even be uttered in the same sentence.

I'm against this friendly, as others before it, because of the TIMING! It is STUPID to risk injury during your regular season for a meaningless game. Notice we're not playing ROMA in their back yard during THEIR REGULAR SEASON. And Mr. Payne is avoid that part. This angers me.
    Did we not play in Turkey during our preseason one year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter's first preseason. His conclusion from that was it was too much travel during the brief preseason period.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Winter's first preseason. His conclusion from that was it was too much travel during the brief preseason period.
    Yes he did. That doesn't mean it isn't possible to do it right. This kind of preseason tournament did not get enough attention.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's Larson: "Get over it, fans, TFC is hosting AS Roma in friendly"
    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/26...ma-in-friendly

Last year's Larson: "TFC fans want wins, not friendlies"
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/19...not-friendlies

My how times have changed....

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They might be giants.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Today's Larson: "Get over it, fans, TFC is hosting AS Roma in friendly"
    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/26...ma-in-friendly

Last year's Larson: "TFC fans want wins, not friendlies"
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/19...not-friendlies

My how times have changed....
    That is funny. I wonder if anyone has pointed this out to him yet.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    +1

If the team wants to try to raise some funds so we can afford the training grounds, the DPs, the grass, the stadium additions then so be it; not to mention generate some contacts for player acquisitions. I seriously doubt that injuries are going to be a major issue and those could happen in pre-season friendlies as they do in every other league. I don't understand what the fuss is about. List all the pros and cons and remove the fact that the haters are personally angry with the FO and see what you come up with.
    Preseason means you can make changes before the season starts. That would be the fuss about that. This is not something in general but something specific. Not FO dogpiling you can see on fb.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    They might be giants.

Not enough fist bumps in the world for you, Robot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    That is funny. I wonder if anyone has pointed this out to him yet.
    In a Twitter back and forth.....maaaayyyybe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As per TFC Official Twitter Account:

TFC Waive Logan Emory.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^Hope we're bringing in some defensive reinforcements with Morgan and Henry going to Gold Cup, Ecks still not 100%, and Califf still MIA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    ^Hope we're bringing in some defensive reinforcements with Morgan and Henry going to Gold Cup, Ecks still not 100%, and Califf still MIA.

There must be a starter that will come into that fullback role, and Morgan will be the depth player in that position. Boss will cover Henry for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought I would add it here: If anyone is up watch Kevin Payne's interview with Asif and the final question was probably the most important where Kevin talked about TFC supporters group and culture. He talked about GA, flares and the incident with one supporter who was ejected and banned for the rest of the season because of flare incident earlier in the league.

It will air again at midnight on GOL TV and 1:00 A.M.