Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #AskKP Q&A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Your line above is likely the stupidest statement ever made on this messageboard.
    Congrats.

Flares burn at 3000 degrees.
    Prizby, you probably cook your pizza pops and hot pockets at 300ish.
    so 10x the heat.

A soccer ball kicked by a pro-athlete, might blacken your eye...break your nose...maybe concussion.

A flare burning at 3000 degrees would melt your eye or permanently deform you.
    then mix in the people handing the flares could be drunk or will be around drunk people.
    because someone is clearly going to be poking people in the eye with a flare #smh, but brain injuries are nowhere near as bad

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One drunk idiot with a flare is all it really takes. Look at the amount of serious injury around the world with flares. I get where they are coming from on it. The dialogue has always been around marking an area that we could *safely* do them and the rules surrounding that are extremely confusing. Pyrotechnics licence, Union affiliation and fire code all factor in. Proximity to the crowd all that.

Seems Kevin made a blcak and white statement on it. Hopefully soon Kevin will have this meeting with CNE grounds and let us know the results. Its a confusing mess right now.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ He reportedly met with them on Thursday, at least regarding the Matt issue. No word yet on any results from the meeting.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, I talked with him on the weekend but didn't bring it up.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    ^ He reportedly met with them on Thursday, at least regarding the Matt issue. No word yet on any results from the meeting.
    OK, I don't know Matt, but if he's willing to entertain this discussion on his behalf, big points for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    OK, I don't know Matt, but if he's willing to entertain this discussion on his behalf, big points for him.
    We will see. There has been hard lobbying to help Matt and KP would not allow any representatives for Matt at the table last Thursday. That is worrisome at the least. The EX security guy is pretty hard nosed and has made some unreasonable/rediculous demands to reduce/remove the ban. That KP only wanted his side of the story at the table is a concern.

I'll sing his praises if the ban is lifted, until then....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    because someone is clearly going to be poking people in the eye with a flare #smh, but brain injuries are nowhere near as bad
    The comparison is in some ways irrelevant. Nobody wants to take on extra risk that's avoidable and unnecessary to participate in attending a sporting event. You also can't assume that because somebody is exposed to the risk of getting hit in the head with a ball, that they would be okay with potentially being burned as well.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The comparison in some ways irrelevant. Nobody wants to take on extra risk that's avoidable and unnecessary to participate in attending a sporting event. You also can't assume that because somebody is exposed to the risk of getting hit in the head with a ball, that they would be okay with potentially being burned as well.
    I get hit with ball, the likely hood of any injury is small - a major one even less so. If I get touched with a 3000 degree flare, there is no way that is anything but a major problem.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I get hit with ball, the likely hood of any injury is small - a major one even less so. If I get touched with a 3000 degree flare, there is no way that is anything but a major problem.
    People have been killed in other countries by flares hitting them in the head.

It doesn't matter whether there are officially certified "safe flare" handlers, once flares are in the stands, there will be doofuses who will imitate and because they are not certified, will throw the flares to avoid getting caught. The one event that injured a woman at a match in 2009 was exactly the situation of some doofuses throwing to avoid detection. Fortunately she will only have a serious scar for life instead of being killed.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2009/04/23/teens_charged_after_woman_burned_at_toronto_fc_gam e.html
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    People have been killed in other countries by flares hitting them in the head.

It doesn't matter whether there are officially certified "safe flare" handlers, once flares are in the stands, there will be doofuses who will imitate and because they are not certified, will throw the flares to avoid getting caught. The one event that injured a woman at a match in 2009 was exactly the situation of some doofuses throwing to avoid detection. Fortunately she will only have a serious scar for life instead of being killed.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2009/04/23/teens_charged_after_woman_burned_at_toronto_fc_gam e.html
    First, I'm not knocking what happened in this article... it really shouldn't have happened.

But that's the very thing... people are going to do it regardless. Why not get everyone involved and have both sides talk about it and maybe each makes concessions... Only have some people able to handle flares, have it only in certain sections, have it monitored and let FO know it's going to happen and when... these are examples of working with them in a positive way. If you simply say no, you're not eliminating the potential problems. If it's controlled, you're not going to have people throwing it cause they're afraid of a $250 ticket.

There is a HUGE difference between the types of flairs used. A road flare burns hotter than a marine flare and is not intended to be held on to, while a marine flare produces orange or red smoke and burns much much cooler as it is intended to be held.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 111_DrummerBoy View Post

But that's the very thing... people are going to do it regardless.
    I'm not sure of that. It looks like the bannings have had the desired effect. Flares have pretty well disappeared, at least in the stands.

Once you have authorized flare holders, as cool as it looks, you'll get the yahoo wannabes. There are people who I'd trust to be responsible with flares, but the yahoo factor is to much of a problem and is totally uncontrollable.

A much better solution is to work out something with smoke, which actually looks cooler IMO and doesn't have nearly as much potential danger in a crowded BMO. I really like what DC United's supporters have done in that regards. We can develop our own culture and don't have to imitate what's done in other countries.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-02-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Damn, I talked with him on the weekend but didn't bring it up.
    Update: I just found out the meeting last week was cancelled. No word on a replacement meeting. Which really sucks for Matt. Imagine getting banned for something you didn't do just because you dress funny and were in the neighbourhood. It could have happened to anyone...

The 'Freedom for Matt' campaign continues....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The comparison is in some ways irrelevant. Nobody wants to take on extra risk that's avoidable and unnecessary to participate in attending a sporting event. You also can't assume that because somebody is exposed to the risk of getting hit in the head with a ball, that they would be okay with potentially being burned as well.
    if we are talking about extra risk, then i guess it would be sensible to put netting up around the fans so no errant balls smack them in the head

First, I'm not knocking what happened in this article... it really shouldn't have happened.

But that's the very thing... people are going to do it regardless. Why not get everyone involved and have both sides talk about it and maybe each makes concessions... Only have some people able to handle flares, have it only in certain sections, have it monitored and let FO know it's going to happen and when... these are examples of working with them in a positive way. If you simply say no, you're not eliminating the potential problems. If it's controlled, you're not going to have people throwing it cause they're afraid of a $250 ticket.

There is a HUGE difference between the types of flairs used. A road flare burns hotter than a marine flare and is not intended to be held on to, while a marine flare produces orange or red smoke and burns much much cooler as it is intended to be held.
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    If you guys want Pyro you need to first lobby the city to change the fire code.

Probably about 1500-2000 hours of work if people want to try.

The point about flares was nailed on the first page - quoted here. You want em, start here.

Until then, it's against the fire code (does that make it against the law as well? Not sure). Regardless, go against the fire code, you will get sanctioned. It will come down hard and fast. These guys have the power to shut BMO down for infractions, and they will do it if it happens repeatedly. You think BMO/TFC will let it happen? Kiss your supporters rights and privileges goodbye if any sort of unregulated pyro starts to take hold in the stadium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that's the very thing... people are going to do it regardless.
    This is never a good argument for why to allow something. You could say the above, in response to virtually any law - "well, some people are going to do it anyway, so fuck it". Some people are gong to rob banks, so we should create a safe, sanctioned way to rob banks, so at least people don't get shot.

Instead of constantly talking about why to allow flares, how about turning the question over and asking: what the fuck is the obsession with having flares?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point about flares was nailed on the first page - quoted here. You want em, start here.

Until then, it's against the fire code (does that make it against the law as well? Not sure). Regardless, go against the fire code, you will get sanctioned. It will come down hard and fast. These guys have the power to shut BMO down for infractions, and they will do it if it happens repeatedly. You think BMO/TFC will let it happen? Kiss your supporters rights and privileges goodbye if any sort of unregulated pyro starts to take hold in the stadium.
    This really is the beginning and end of the argument, in terms of the team sanctioning flare use.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do want to note that I am not a fan of flares.

I think the way Portland does it is bang on, safe sanctioned section for smoke.

I do not want people lighting flares & smoke in 112 amongst a crowd.

Again though, it can be changed, I would bet that since 2007 people have likely spent the 2000hrs of work needed to change the firecode and get Pyro sanctioned just whining about it on the boards.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This is never a good argument for why to allow something. You could say the above, in response to virtually any law - "well, some people are going to do it anyway, so fuck it". Some people are gong to rob banks, so we should create a safe, sanctioned way to rob banks, so at least people don't get shot.

Instead of constantly talking about why to allow flares, how about turning the question over and asking: what the fuck is the obsession with having flares?

- Scott

i agree we have beat this to death forever

come watch the game and support your team
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity, how many people that think Pyro is OK also think that people should be allowed to smoke cigarettes in BMO?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously take the issue up with TFC and see how far it goes.

Its against the rules and yet there are still idiots bringing them in and handling them in a dangerous way, causing harm, so somehow allowing them will be okay? I don't get the logic here.
    Last edited by Phil; 07-03-2013 at 07:54 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    Update: I just found out the meeting last week was cancelled. No word on a replacement meeting. Which really sucks for Matt. Imagine getting banned for something you didn't do just because you dress funny and were in the neighbourhood. It could have happened to anyone...

The 'Freedom for Matt' campaign continues....
    How did this all happen with Matt? I wasn't there and have only heard references to his banning. It would suck to be blamed for something just because of being in wrong place wrong time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    How did this all happen with Matt? I wasn't there and have only heard references to his banning. It would suck to be blamed for something just because of being in wrong place wrong time.
    In a nutshell: there was a display outside 104 on the street to 'welcome' the Mtl fans on their first visit this year. There was smoke and flares tossed by someone else. Matt was holding up a banner (there is video and pics to prove that). Afterwards a group (not even all the same people, random people held too) was held at the supporters gate with no explanation for 10-15 minutes. They let the group in and then someone ran up to Matt and asked him to come back to the gate for questions. The police and EX security then charged him and banned him. The police dropped the charge within days but EX security wouldn't drop the ban despite meetings and visual evidence showing that he did nothing but hold up a tifo. It seems he was picked at random because they needed to 'get' someone and couldn't figure out who really did it.

How this was different from the post match celebrations by gate 3 that have happened dozens of times is beyond me. In fact, there were flares HELD by people after that match at the gate 3 celebration and none of them were arrested.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ that's really unfair. I hope he gets the ban reversed. Common sense should prevail over some sort of misguided "get someone" punishment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't there, so I can't say 100%. But as far as I know, Matt never actually handled the flair... It was someone else who joined that march. Again I wasn't there but the story was told to me from direct sources.
    naw it was my mistake. I was thinking of a different incident.

The one I was thinking was the incident of those 2 guys in 111 who lit up a flare and eventually threw it. One of them on the field and another I think landed on 113. They were relatively young guys I believe.