Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    We all know that friendlies are a big part of this leauge. My problem with it is the scheduling of this side show. Just shows the complete attitude of this FO. Profits before results. 3 games in 7 days with one on the road? Sure it's not going to be a competitive game but really why even tempt fate. I swear if someone gets hurt ill flip.
    Well, we have a game away on July 13th against KC, then another away at Chivas in LA and then a third game in one week back at home on the 20th against RBNY.

Should we rest players to avoid injury considering that we all know we're out of the hunt for anything this year?

TFC will be giving exposure to a lot of their young players against Roma. They always do in friendlies. If someone gets hurt its shitty luck but it's not as if its going to spoil our playoff run or CCL run.

We have another stretch of 3 games in a week in September. One friendly where a lot of bench and reserve players will get to play is not the end of the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would have worked better if it was scheduled for the 31st would have had 3 days then 4 between games. 3 games in 9 days now that isn't a big deal. 3 games in 7 that's just nutz. And those other games are 3 in 8 still not bad.

Either way it's going to happen. It's probably going to have a huge Roma base taking over our house. (Which pisses me off the most) Why as a FO do they think that is a good idea outside of $ is beyond me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roma (like all these overseas clubs) dictate the schedule for the game not TFC. We play on their schedule not ours! (Everyone here should know this by now)

Remember: beggars can't be choosers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we don't play this, MLS gets ticked. Bye bye chance of getting nice things from MLS.

To paraphrase

A 4th DP is worth a friendly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to all those defending the friendly I ask you this. Would Roma have played Toronto FC in February, played their first team for 45 minutes in between say Sampdoria on the road (Feb 10th) and Juventus at home (Feb 17th). Do you think their fans would accept that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ of course not there from the prestigious Serie A. It's a double standard that quite frankly I'm stick and tired off. They wouldn't do it in season for us why should be for them?

MLS wants to punish us for not having them? What are they going to do? Bend the rules to punish us?
    Last edited by BuSaPuNk; 06-25-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    TFC will be giving exposure to a lot of their young players against Roma. They always do in friendlies. If someone gets hurt its shitty luck but it's not as if its going to spoil our playoff run or CCL run.

We have another stretch of 3 games in a week in September. One friendly where a lot of bench and reserve players will get to play is not the end of the world.
    exactly, look at the team we were playing last year. to say it was even second string would be a joke. fans don't come to these games to see us crush the opposition, they come to say that they saw roma, or everton, or whoever the fuck. the "no playoff/CCL run to spoil" argument will definitely change in the years the club becomes competitive, but like it's been said before.. this isn't just us. the bulk of MLS teams are hosting friendlies, if someone gets injured it's just a dice roll to figure out which team it's going to happen to.

MLS co-ordinates with the clubs to raise the leagues international profile, but if injuries and fatigue stemming from these games end up effecting league or champions league play overall, you can guarantee it's going to be reviewed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ of course not there from the prestigious Serie A. It's a double standard that quite frankly I'm stick and tired off. They wouldn't do it in season for us why should be for them?

MLS wants to punish us for not having them? What are they going to do? Bend the rules to punish us?
    Sometimes I wonder if supporters really do live in a soccer bubble. Mohamad Ali needed Joe Frazer. You want to be in the game you need to embrace, not reject the chance to play against and learn from other teams and leagues. Besides, if TFC puts on a decent show some of the roma fans may find an interest in mls. That cannot be a bad thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if supporters really do live in a soccer bubble. Mohamad Ali needed Joe Frazer. You want to be in the game you need to embrace, not reject the chance to play against and learn from other teams and leagues. Besides, if TFC puts on a decent show some of the roma fans may find an interest in mls. That cannot be a bad thing.
    It's not really a bubble. And I would like to see numbers of how many fans were turned onto MLS after going to a mid season friendly. It's probably so small you can count it on your finger and toes.

And before the MLS what did teams do for friendlies? Oh yeah play teams in there leauge or around Europe used as preseason games for both clubs.

Now I know MLS runs on a screwed up schedual away from the traditional schedual so it's a little more difficult to play these in the offseason. However te counter point is would these clubs ever play a friendly against us when there in season? Nope. So why should we accommodate them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Know what I'd like? I'd like for Payne to announce that the team will not play another mid-season friendly, until they've made the post-season, and any potential pre-season friendlies will be free to STHs. Simple.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny not really that interested in seeing 'other' teams...no matter who they are...I've suffered long enough and simply want to see our young team slowly grow..and hopefully play as last game against a superior team ...why spoil things does anyone realize in the FO we're seeing enough quality football in the confed cup and the past under 21....this game almost seems like it's for non fans, and will be a downer......only positive is for Osorio and the few to match their best. ....PS so Frei gets a game
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would have worked better if it was scheduled for the 31st would have had 3 days then 4 between games. 3 games in 9 days now that isn't a big deal. 3 games in 7 that's just nutz. And those other games are 3 in 8 still not bad.

Either way it's going to happen. It's probably going to have a huge Roma base taking over our house. (Which pisses me off the most) Why as a FO do they think that is a good idea outside of $ is beyond me.
    Yes, the 31st would've been a great idea, except that is the scheduled date of the MLS All Star Game And for the record, this years game is scheduled to feature:

MLS All Stars vs AS Roma

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ame-sporting-p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I know I forgot about the ASG. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not spending any money on this game and I maybe up north for the all-star break

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Of course we live in a bubble. A bubble we created here that we can see out of.

Ultimately this thread is for people interested in this friendly so those of you who detest it get your licks in now because repeating ourselves won't stop the invasion.

This thread, like every friendly thread reads

CON- "reason, reason, reason".
    PRO- Ya but wa ya gonna do? It's the way it is. You're going crazy saying crazy being crazy...

This game isn't for most of us it's for the visiting home fans that are happy that they have a team in their city to play their FOR REALS team once. A microscopic percentage attend TFC again and that's pandering but that's MLS's fault. SO like I say every friendly thread

Enjoy the game to those that will enjoy this.

I'm happy for those very few Toronto first Roma supporters that are getting a real treat.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My favourite thing is when the team coming over for a friendly is from a league you don't follow or hate and it's like "stupid, shitty friendlies".

But when the team coming over is from a league you follow it's like "well, this friendly isn't so bad."

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    My favourite thing is when the team coming over for a friendly is from a league you don't follow or hate and it's like "stupid, shitty friendlies".

But when the team coming over is from a league you follow it's like "well, this friendly isn't so bad."
    Agreed. Its funny watching the reactions after some of the past friendlies. At least we didn't have to move a game to jam it in like other years.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post

If anyone is found out to have done this I suggest the term

Friendly Flip Flopper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a Man Utd supporter even if they came I would not be bothered. If I really wanted to see them I would go to another stop on there tour. Never against my hometown club and never during a season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never

ever

ever

lose influence.

We have probably the most influential guy in MLS outside of Garber in Leiweke. And people would have us waste that influence on not having a mid season friendly?!?!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Never

ever

ever

lose influence.

We have probably the most influential guy in MLS outside of Garber in Leiweke. And people would have us waste that influence on not having a mid season friendly?!?!

Like meaningless friendlies or else? That's sad. We're saying where we stand. If Leiweke decided against a friendly and spouted some of the exact same reasons here we minority would be behind him. I think most of us on the CON side no how unpopular it would be, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Lieweike didn't get his influence by scheduling friendlies. Get got it from bringing Beckham to the MLS. Raising the profile of the leauge with the move. The on going evolution of the DP rule that has brought great players to this leauge and made this leauge what it is today. That is what his influence is. Bringing a on going way for teams and the leauge to make on going dollars going forward.

Yes teams and the leauge make $ on friendlies there's no doubt. But they will create more revenue with soild teams and overall parity with the ability of the DP rule then any other form of revenue.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Lieweike didn't get his influence by scheduling friendlies. Get got it from bringing Beckham to the MLS.
    Ummm.... no. Lieweike helped set up the league. It was because he was influential that he was involved in the Beckham deal, not the other way around.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't want to spark the whining amongst the crowd but you all know who Lieweke is right and how he operated the Galaxy?

All I can say is expect a lot more friendlies than one per season going forward and for TFC to be in all these summer 'tournaments' that they bring the big boys over to play during their pre-seasons. And FWIW, LA played an assload of friendlies and were champions or contenders throughout so playing a few extra games doesn't mean the team goes to shit. In fact it may be a nice break from the day to day grind that comes from training/scrimmaging every weekday in the balls heat to get ready for Saturday.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ I have been biting my tounge about those facts U&P
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this was simply cause and effect we could leave principle out of it.

LA could've shit the bed with congested schedules but they didn't. There was planning but a lot of luck involved as well. They struggled to get to be the landslide team they were suppose to be from the gate.

This is sugar coating. The midseason friendly is garbage and if it does nice things for us in the long run it's still not the way I want to win. Will it negate the trophy celebration? No. Why?

Cause that's just the way it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Ummm.... no. Lieweike helped set up the league. It was because he was influential that he was involved in the Beckham deal, not the other way around.
    Okay my bad. Still don't like it though. But it's the nature of the beast. Just going to have to live with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes teams and the leauge make $ on friendlies there's no doubt. But they will create more revenue with soild teams and overall parity with the ability of the DP rule then any other form of revenue.
    Are you certain about that? I don't have any data, but I'm not so sure.

Without raising ticket prices:

With Bell and Rogers owning MLSE now, I don't expect either to break the bank on a regional broadcasting deal. Further success on merchandise is debatable - but I think that's where a brand-name DP definitely helps. Whether the stadium atmosphere is diluted or not, there are still plenty of bums in the seats at MLS matches. And remember, there are always more tickets sold than people in attendance. I don't know how much more they can make at the gate without raising prices. There might only be one quick way to generate extra revenue: host a friendly.

Making the team better and more successful is what we all want. But let's admit it - it comes at a cost. An inevitable ticket price hike. edit: If this happens, your theory is 100% correct.

Having said that, another option I like is to develop and sell players at a premium. But that can take years.
    Last edited by Haddy; 06-26-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Payne: "We may not be the home team at this game."

Yeah because TFC season ticket holders aren't going, like they did with past friendlies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course the stream isn't working.