Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A point on the road against Houston. I'll take that.

I hope Caldwell stays!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I liked how Koef played for those few minutes. Would be nice to see him and Earnshaw from the beginning.

Our best combination Is Silva and Brockie, Nelsen just hasn't realized it yet.

They're playing styles compliment each other, "Mark my words".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad. Coming home with four points from this road trip is pretty good.

Can we clone Caldwell?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup 3-page Pre/In/Post game thread, that's a bit sad.

But the game, pretty well done. Yes TFC was gassed near the end and were starting to boot the ball long too much in the last 10 minutes. However, they actually maintained some possession in the opposing half as well, even earned some free kicks, better than we've seen to close out a game.

Too bad Koevermans didn't pot a goal or an assist when Tally Hall handed him the ball right in front of net. Coming out of there with a win would have been damn funny. Although Tally Hall really deserved getting a ball smashed past him, he was seriously getting on my nerves the whole game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two games on the road, 4 out of six points and add in a clean sheet.
    I'm ok with that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    ..On a more depressing note, only 3 pages in this thread .
    Let see......Hockey was on, Italy and Brazil played today, Pride has started, Different start time then we are used to, humidity outside for the first time so nobody wants to do anything unless they are in AC.

That and more importantly, there were no real bone head plays to discuss.

Count on a page for each goal scored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at least we have pages. The other site has only 3 posts not pages!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Richter is terrible.
    Really because I didn't much of Brad Davis the entire game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richter got beat a number of times. Davis pulls into the middle. But where Richter is really bad is when he overlaps and on his long throws. The man can't cross worth Beans in Libbyland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richter needs to sit down. He's the weakest link in the back line and can't deliver a good ball into the box properly. Getting sick of seeing him in the starting line up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on Joe getting his first shutout of the season. Good to see four points come out of the last two games. Looking forward to being back at BMO after a long stretch away.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell, hoooooly fuck. Insane defender, focused on his movement all game. He is a talker and reads the plays extremely well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bantamfan View Post
    at least we have pages. The other site has only 3 posts not pages!
    Big birthday bash today and then to the Duke. Nobody to post when we're all out watching the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brockie and Koevermans were more dangerous than Silva and Earnshaw even though we were starting to park the bus. Not sure how long TFC can afford to not start them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Brockie and Koevermans were more dangerous than Silva and Earnshaw even though we were starting to park the bus. Not sure how long TFC can afford to not start them.
    this!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Big birthday bash today and then to the Duke. Nobody to post when we're all out watching the game.
    This. I know it's nice to see posts in game if your watching and want to chat but plenty peeps just watch and chat post match. I'd say these were 2 teams that were desperate not to lose but instead of a 2 way bus park we saw the lack of final execution out of a wee bit of desperation. I think despite the boos from the dynamites in the stands the teams finished the game with a relief point each.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re interest level, it didn't matter what happened last night. This season is just one long training camp and everyone knows it. Watching on TV just isn't worth it. I've been doing Game in 6 for road games, and sure don't feel like I'm missing much.

Looking forward to getting out and seeing a game soon. Hopefully the weather cooperates for the next couple of home games. Just want to enjoy the summer air, have a beer, and really see what we have got.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-23-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good news is Nelsen has run with pretty much the same starting lineup for three straight games and we've gotten results in each. And done so with only one loanee (Caldwell). Nelsen putting his trust in our players instead of guys brought in temporarily has really helped the team, and they've responded well. If we had a creative midfielder to work beside Laba I think we'd be a pretty decent side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ok, so Caldwell gets a header on that one and then runs like stink towards the open guy while Richter, who is close, kinda...well...stands still.
    I noticed Richter kind of standing around, almost like he didn't no what to do half the time, Hall looked a little Star Struck in the last 10 minutes, could have been energy level. Overall not a bad performance, if a few of our shots had have been with a bit more quality, could have been a win.

Enjoy the next 2 games at BMO, I am in Scotland for the next 3 weeks.
    I'll have a chat with Caldwell's family and insist he stays at TFC
    Cheers All

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpand View Post
    Caldwell, hoooooly fuck. Insane defender, focused on his movement all game. He is a talker and reads the plays extremely well.
    He definitely has a noticeable presence on the backline and was a big part of the first clean sheet. Believe he saved a goal with a goal line deflection behind bendiq.

I also thought Henry had a strong game. Is this partly the result of some good competition for places on the backline? I wonder if Henry put in a very professional performance knowing agboss put in a decent shift in the previous game. I don't know when Morgan will get another opportunity but there are some standards being set and hopefully this starts to be apparent throughout the squad. Morgan knows he has to play at a much higher level to earn a starting role. It's too bad ecks is not back to put some more pressure on richter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell was the motm for me .He has been solid for us .Hope he stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also thought Caldwell was really good. I was also impressed with the way we kept our shape and weren't broken down too easily. The upfield ball pressure was good too.

Lots of negatives in this game too.

Lack of possession was awful.
    Earnshaw was greedy on several occasions and we got nothing to show for it.
    Silva was on and off.
    O'Dea's attacking balls forward from the left side are awful. He is no wingback.

Worst thing: We were wasting time from the start of the second half onward. Its one thing to play for the tie (which on the road in Houston is a good result) but to waste time the way we were is disappointing. O'Dea, Bendik, Hall, Osorio. Everybody was guilty of it. Kicking balls away after foul calls. Taking forever on throw ins and goal kicks.

I get doing that in injury time, but at the onset of the second half? Embarrassing.

We as supporters can never complain about time wasting from the opposition again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cochrdoc View Post
    Caldwell was the motm for me .He has been solid for us .Hope he stays
    I agree with this. He was a beast out there. Great for Bendyk to earn a clean sheet but Caldwell played a huge part.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to post this.

Son was just watching the condensed match on a tablet and I hear him yell out "get up, you get more contact at home beating your kids"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I also thought Caldwell was really good. I was also impressed with the way we kept our shape and weren't broken down too easily. The upfield ball pressure was good too.

Lots of negatives in this game too.

Lack of possession was awful.

Earnshaw was greedy on several occasions and we got nothing to show for it.
    Silva was on and off.
    O'Dea's attacking balls forward from the left side are awful. He is no wingback.

Worst thing: We were wasting time from the start of the second half onward. Its one thing to play for the tie (which on the road in Houston is a good result) but to waste time the way we were is disappointing. O'Dea, Bendik, Hall, Osorio. Everybody was guilty of it. Kicking balls away after foul calls. Taking forever on throw ins and goal kicks.

I get doing that in injury time, but at the onset of the second half? Embarrassing.

We as supporters can never complain about time wasting from the opposition again.
    Bit harsh on Earnshaw, actually thought he looked very lively, wouldn't criticise him for any of his efforts tonight. You are right about O'Dea, his distribution is not suited for that position. Also why is one of our best headers of the ball taking free kicks at the end of the game from the wing, which he misses everyone from and goes over bar. Brockie, in every game he has come on has looked very impressive, his work rate is great, if Danny K had of scored off the keepers save from Brockie, we may well have been celebrating a win. Caldwell looked strong again, Silva after starting decent disappeared. Convey didn't have a great game imo. Considering the playing conditions, a point is a good result, good to get back to back points in away games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Admittedly i have havnt been watching the last few games. Its good to see Caldwell playing well, just looking at his career i think he is a top notch CB for this league. Played most games for Birmingham last season which is a pretty solid all around team.

Maybe for MLS he is in his prime, at 32, as a CB, is just about the peak of most players careers. I think we should consider keeping him around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Bit harsh on Earnshaw, actually thought he looked very lively, wouldn't criticise him for any of his efforts tonight. You are right about O'Dea, his distribution is not suited for that position. Also why is one of our best headers of the ball taking free kicks at the end of the game from the wing, which he misses everyone from and goes over bar. Brockie, in every game he has come on has looked very impressive, his work rate is great, if Danny K had of scored off the keepers save from Brockie, we may well have been celebrating a win. Caldwell looked strong again, Silva after starting decent disappeared. Convey didn't have a great game imo. Considering the playing conditions, a point is a good result, good to get back to back points in away games
    Earnshaw is very selfish. Rarely passes. That chance he had to lay it of to Brockie was ruined because he decided to do some turning fancy crap and get his entire angle of the net blocked off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The possession stats really looked off to me. I don't think we had more possession than they did, but don't think it was a Spain-Tahiti game either, as the stats suggest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a disciplined performance, not much to write home about for either team. We kept our shape well and only gave Houston one real chance to score which they thankfully wasted. The last 10 minutes had me worried because we were sitting back again but some good work by Koevermans gave us a minute or two of pressure around their box which killed their momentum, and the rest of the game. It was nice to see us relieve our defenders with a bit of our own pressure in the closing stages for once.

Caldwell MotM. He was immense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The possession stats really looked off to me. I don't think we had more possession than they did, but don't think it was a Spain-Tahiti game either, as the stats suggest.
    Possession can be calculated in two ways. The first, and what we all think of when hearing "possession", is the actual time that a team has possession of the ball. This requires manual logging during the match (i.e. someone pressing a button every time possession changes hands during a match).

The second is pass completion. This is calculated by a team's total passes divided by the total number of passes in a match. This is used in place of the traditional method of calculating possession since it's less hassle to record and correlates to the time of possession stat (since a team with more possession of the ball will almost always make more passes in a match than their opposition).

Naturally though, correlation only goes so far. Opta uses the pass completion style of calculating possession, and they work with MLS to produce all their stats. So for this game, MLS/Opta says Houston made 478 passes to Toronto's 230. 708 passes total. 478 divided by 708 is 0.67, and as expected, Houston's possession is listed as 67.2%.

Nobody records time of possession for MLS matches as far as I know, so we can only guess as to what it was. But in this case the pass completion possession is pretty misleading, because it suggests Houston dominated the match, but it was clear to anyone who watched that wasn't the case. I'd guess actual possession was probably 55-45 Houston.