Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know lots of people here don't like friendlies, but all this vitriolic "it's an insult" and "team first" stuff sounds a tiny bit childish in a year that the competitive implications of playing a midseason friendly are zero.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I know lots of people here don't like friendlies, but all this vitriolic "it's an insult" and "team first" stuff sounds a tiny bit childish in a year that the competitive implications of playing a midseason friendly are zero.
    True. I think more people are insulted that one of our major execs doesn't know who Penarol are. I mean, it's not like they should be scouting in this hemisphere or anything...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    True. I think more people are insulted that one of our major execs doesn't know who Penarol are.
    Maybe he's a Nacional man?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly, I don't care if he doesn't know where Penarol is.

What I care about is that he WANTED to be quoted saying that.

Its unprofessional, elitist in a dumb jock sort of way and, just as importantly, not helpful when were are trying to develop relationships all over the world to bring in decent players.

Do something like that once, you should be talked to, with the meeting documented.

Do it more then once, you'd be given a letter.

Do it 3 times and you're out the door.

It boggles my mind that people like that can keep jobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It's true the lack of knowledge and respect isn't helping our cause to bring in international players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    ^ It's true the lack of knowledge and respect isn't helping our cause to bring in international players.
    It's frustrating, but I'd like to think prospective players have better things to do than read quotes from Paul Beirne regarding friendly speculation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    "I had to look up who Peñarol were,” Beirne said.

We should start a stupid Beirne quotes thread.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    It's frustrating, but I'd like to think prospective players have better things to do than read quotes from Paul Beirne regarding friendly speculation.
    For sure but things like this and the mismanagement of these players when they come here doesn't help. Have to think that players talk and if they have a bad experience somewhere they make it pretty clear to guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    For sure but things like this and the mismanagement of these players when they come here doesn't help. Have to think that players talk and if they have a bad experience somewhere they make it pretty clear to guys.
    Fair point.

Well, at least we have the training ground

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Paul Beirne as at it again arranging as you guessed it another summer friendly in a really busy TFC schedule:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...town-summer-fr

TFC management never learn. Only caring about making more money and not on making this team better on the field.

Maybe it's time for a banner that says simply:

"FOCUS ON TEAM NOT ON MORE SUMMER FRIENDLIES"
    I still have mine from last year

#SilverwareNotFriendlies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember the aston villa friendly in 2007?
    Remember Ronnie O'Brien getting injured?
    Remember him not being the same player he was after?
    Remember him taking an early retirement a year later after a season at San Jose?

it is a meaningless midseason game thats potential costs heavily outweigh the benefits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Remember the aston villa friendly in 2007?
    Remember Ronnie O'Brien getting injured?
    Remember him not being the same player he was after?
    Remember him taking an early retirement a year later after a season at San Jose?

it is a meaningless midseason game thats potential costs heavily outweigh the benefits.
    We had 10 guys go down that year. I blame the plastic for that.

They are not 100% bad for the team. Friendlies are good for locker room morale.

You don't build ships to keep them in the harbour. You put them out to sea. Sometimes for good reasons with valuable cargo, sometimes empty, on a stupid repositioning trip.

Sometimes they sink. You can't overthink it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually am on the same not friendlies but silverware bus. However this year were not doing anything, no CONCACAF, no playoffs. It's a write off year. I'd be okay with a friendly.

However I think there also missing the boat in terms of making a splash. It's a year were we are struggling to find fans to park there butts in the seats. This is the year if anything they should be looking to bring a big big club here. Ie United, City, Bayern, Juventus, Barca. Ect.

I know a friendly with a big club wil bring that clubs fans and we all hate that, however it might attract new fans to the MLS. Very doubtful if at all this works.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey @mlsintoronto ; You asked about Penarol :

from this site : http://labandaizquierda.blogspot.ca/...ruguay-la.html

From Wiki :

Club Atlético Peñarol (Spanish pronunciation: [kluβ aˈtletiko peɲaˈɾol] ( listen); English: Peñarol Athletic Club) also known as Carboneros, Aurinegros and familiarly as Manya, is a Uruguayan sports club from Montevideo. Founded as Central Uruguay Railway Cricket Club (CURCC) on 28 September 1891, the club changed its name to Club Atlético Peñarol in 1913. The name Peñarol comes from the Peñarol neighbourhood, located in the outskirts of Montevideo.

Throughout its history the club has also participated in sports such as basketball and cycling. However, it has been almost exclusively dedicated to football, a sport in which Peñarol has achieved great recognition.

Peñarol holds the record for the most professional Uruguayan Primera División championships, with 37 trophies. Likewise, when considering those won under the name of CURCC, it is the club with the most Uruguayan championships in history, having won 47 amateur and professional trophies. In addition, Peñarol won the Uruguayan championship of the Federación Uruguaya de Football in 1924 and the cup of the Consejo Provisorio (Provisory Council) in 1926, giving it a total of 49 Uruguayan Primera División championships.

In international competition, Peñarol is the club with the third most Copa Libertadores, having won it five times.The club was the first to win three Intercontinental Cups and holds the most titles in said competition. In September 2009, Peñarol was chosen the Best Club of the 20th Century by the IFFHS.

Please do a bit of research next time you plan on speaking to an audience.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always, it's perspective. I think it more important to finish as high in the league as possible. You do not. You are not alone.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I don't follow the Uraguay league at all and have absolutely no idea who Panareol are! Does that make me an idiot? Probably not. It just proves that this game wouldn't be a crowd puller at all!
    I'm with you. I had no idea who they were until I came into this thread. And to be honest, I couldn't give a single fuck about who they are now that I do know who they are.
    The only time I will maybe bat an eye at them is when/if they ever face TFC in a meaningful game.

As for friendlies, I could care less about them and will not go to this one either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone even know if this is even happening or if it's just a reserves match before readying the anti-friendlies banners? Fuck maybe we should protest the MLS Reserves league too, you know, because giving our mostly unused subs and senior academy members minutes against decent competition is ruining our playoff push

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS likes mid season friendlies, so its going to happen.

My issue is we should put this in our field, not the Dome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    My issue is we should put this in our field, not the Dome.
    Beirne confirmed that, if a friendly does happen this year, it will be at BMO. He left it open to return to Rogers Centre for other friendlies down the line.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Does anyone even know if this is even happening or if it's just a reserves match before readying the anti-friendlies banners? Fuck maybe we should protest the MLS Reserves league too, you know, because giving our mostly unused subs and senior academy members minutes against decent competition is ruining our playoff push
    So much unconfirmed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    you going to play the reserves for 90 minutes against a big club #doubtful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm with you. I had no idea who they were until I came into this thread. And to be honest, I couldn't give a single fuck about who they are now that I do know who they are.
    The only time I will maybe bat an eye at them is when/if they ever face TFC in a meaningful game.

As for friendlies, I could care less about them and will not go to this one either.
    I didn't know who they were either until this came up...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why protest a friendly?

It's one thing if it's 2009 and the Reds may have missed the post-season because of a stupid friendly.

In 2013 playoffs are out of the picture. Why not enjoy a decent team coming here (or at least their reserves)?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why protest a friendly?

It's one thing if it's 2009 and the Reds may have missed the post-season because of a stupid friendly.

In 2013 playoffs are out of the picture. Why not enjoy a decent team coming here (or at least their reserves)?
    Principle.

For some there is more to the season than post season.

I'd love to see friendlies outside of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind friendlies either. I quite enjoyed the Liverpool game last year. Also travelled to NYC to watch the Red Bulls play Tottenham. The Red Bulls had a meet and greet for their season ticket holders with the Spurs players the day before (which we were allowed into despite not being Red Bulls season seat holders because of a really friendly front office guy who wanted to make sure our visit there was a good one). I can tell you the thousand or so Red Bulls SSH who got pictures and autographs with Gareth Bale weren't that concerned about the extra game. And the game itself was really enjoyable. It's a great way to give something back to SSHs if done properly (ie. not forced into the ticket package, and an opportunity for autographs).

There are two reasons why I'm not concerned about it. One, MLS is a minor league. The league still has a lot to do to attract football fans who view the EPL or another league as their primary league. Getting them into BMO Field to watch a high level club is a good idea if it can convert some into TFC fans. Two, we play way less games than a typical European side. MLS is supposed to be a physical league with players who are athletic. Well an extra game isn't an extra burden for professional athletes with professional trainers and physio. That's my view.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can't say I'm too bothered about us playing one friendly, given the fact that we have virtually nothing to play for. If we were in the CCL again, I'd feel differently.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Two, we play way less games than a typical European side. MLS is supposed to be a physical league with players who are athletic. Well an extra game isn't an extra burden for professional athletes with professional trainers and physio. That's my view.
    Less games with a smaller squad. It evens out IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Less games with a smaller squad. It evens out IMO.
    Chelsea played like 60 games last year. Squads aren't that much smaller.

I can understand on principal being opposed, but in terms of fitness, etc I don't see it. Especially without the Champions League games.
    Last edited by Canary10; 06-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it is a club I am interested in and the price is right for my seats I will go. If not then whatever... Like some are saying, we aren't in a playoff race or in the CCL or anything and they are not playing on turf risking added chance for injury from that so I don't see an issue personally. Not being in the CCL this year I am going to miss not playing clubs from other leagues so may be fun to see. It's nice to see different teams with different styles in person.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Chelsea played like 60 games last year. Squads aren't that much smaller.

I can understand on principal being opposed, but in terms of fitness, etc I don't see it. Especially without the Champions League games.

Chelsea isn't the average. I still think it evens out. Agree to disagree.